The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• Does anyone know if the headset on the CR1 is replaceable without having to use any special tools?

I'm having constant issues with my headset going stiff and grinding so I think it needs replacing, but I'm doing most of my own maintenance these days so would rather do it myself if possible.

But also I wonder why it keeps giving me problems, I'm seeming to go through at headset every 6 months at the minute. Would storing the bike by hanging it from the front wheel cause headset issues?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    yep the bearings just pop out, takes a fews minutes tops
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    As long as the crown race hasn't split it's just a case of removing the bearings and popping new ones in as mentioned. Easy.
  • So is this specifically different to bikes which need to have the headset pressed into place?
  • So is this specifically different to bikes which need to have the headset pressed into place?

As far as I can remember the crown race was the only thing that couldn't be done by hand.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    This frame requires cups to be pressed in.

If it's only the bearings that are rough and the crown race and cups are in good nick then there's no need to change anything else.

You can source replacement bearings from simply bearings and other places.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Also posted in the Workshop forum...
    Hi all. Given I can't get my Scott to ride "softer" with bigger volume tyres due to lack of frame clearance I thought I might try a Canyon VCLS leaf Spring seat post. Trouble is they only come in 27.2mm diameter and my frame takes 31.6mm I think. I also remember reading the various info / warning tags that were attached to the frame when I built it up and distinctly recall one saying "Never use a spacer or shim in the seat tube". Short of invalidating the warranty, what other issues might there be?
    Is anyone successfully using a reducer shim in their CR1, or Foil, frames?
    cheers
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    Have you tried higher tpi tyres like veloflex or Vittoria 320 tpi

The difference is amazing, I'm riding on a set of 4000s at the moment because I'm being lazy and not swapping tyres with wheelset, what a difference.

I would never have bought the 4000s if I'd ridden Vittoria beforehand
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • luv2ride
    itboffin wrote:

The difference is amazing, I'm riding on a set of 4000s at the moment because I'm being lazy and not swapping tyres with wheelset, what a difference.

I had thought about that, and posted here a while ago asking if anyone had manage to squeeze a 27mm Vittoria OPEN PAVE CG in their CR1 SL frameset when quite a few places were doing them on close-out deals. No one was it seemed. Do you reckon the 25's would make the difference, given they share the higher thread count? Oh, and are you rocking the latex tubes as well?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    Mine are 25 and no just normal Vittoria ultralight tubes
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Also posted in the Workshop forum...
    Hi all. Given I can't get my Scott to ride "softer" with bigger volume tyres due to lack of frame clearance I thought I might try a Canyon VCLS leaf Spring seat post. Trouble is they only come in 27.2mm diameter and my frame takes 31.6mm I think. I also remember reading the various info / warning tags that were attached to the frame when I built it up and distinctly recall one saying "Never use a spacer or shim in the seat tube". Short of invalidating the warranty, what other issues might there be?
    Is anyone successfully using a reducer shim in their CR1, or Foil, frames?
    cheers

I have also pondered this question regarding my CR1. Seems daft having a supposedly comfort minded frame with it's SDS stays etc and then giving it a 31.6mm scaffold pole to mount the saddle on.
    I can see how a short shim might allow a longer post to exert more flex at the top of the seat tube, but as long as the shim is as long as the seatpost, what difference could it make?

I may well try it.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Luv2ride wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I had thought about that, and posted here a while ago asking if anyone had manage to squeeze a 27mm Vittoria OPEN PAVE CG in their CR1 SL frameset when quite a few places were doing them on close-out deals. No one was it seemed. Do you reckon the 25's would make the difference, given they share the higher thread count? Oh, and are you rocking the latex tubes as well?

I have used Open Pave's on my CR1 . they were 25mm and got them in no problem on 15mm rims. I have to say the ride was beautiful but they cut up and flatted badly. I swapped over to Panaracer Gravel King 26mm and they fit (just) on 23 mm rims (H+Son Archetype). I have to say riding 26mm tyres on 23mm wide rims is the only way to go.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • luv2ride
    fat_tail wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I have used Open Pave's on my CR1 . they were 25mm and got them in no problem on 15mm rims. I have to say the ride was beautiful but they cut up and flatted badly. I swapped over to Panaracer Gravel King 26mm and they fit (just) on 23 mm rims (H+Son Archetype). I have to say riding 26mm tyres on 23mm wide rims is the only way to go.

Interesting point about going for wider rims. Im not using my wider carbon rims over winter, so last ride out on the CR1 was on some relatively narrow Pro-lite Bracciano rims which probably accentuated the relative harshness compared to my other bikes. Given the poor state of the roads round here I'm tending to use my Crosslight disc more with wide rims and 32-35mm tyres (some tubeless). Think I might still try the Vittorias on my wider carbon wheels, and pray I don't get too many visits from the ******** fairy.
  • itboffin
    Paves on the cobbles of Flanders yesterday only one slipping moment in the mud on the Koppenberg but then that pretty much caught most of the group out, i can tell you know riding a stiff carbon bike over miles of harsh cobbles is tough work
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Luv2ride wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Interesting point about going for wider rims. Im not using my wider carbon rims over winter, so last ride out on the CR1 was on some relatively narrow Pro-lite Bracciano rims which probably accentuated the relative harshness compared to my other bikes. Given the poor state of the roads round here I'm tending to use my Crosslight disc more with wide rims and 32-35mm tyres (some tubeless). Think I might still try the Vittorias on my wider carbon wheels, and pray I don't get too many visits from the ******** fairy.

I measured the Panaracer Gravel King 26mm on H+Son 23mm and they come out 27.mm at 100 psi. I have now put the Open Paves back on given that is spring and the Panaracers were at the end of their lives and the 25mm open paves measure 26mm on 23mm rims.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • itboffin
    couldnt be arsed to get another bike dirty so i rode the Scott on our club Sunday social ride, bliss compared my Ribble/Trek/Dolan and even my 80s steel
  • itboffin
    once the temp gets up a bit might go out for a little afternoon pootle
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Just ordered some Michelin Pro4 V2 Endurance tyres - 25mm for my gf's contessa - should fit ok..........?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    Daniel B wrote:
    Just ordered some Michelin Pro4 V2 Endurance tyres - 25mm for my gf's contessa - should fit ok..........?
    Those tyres come up as 27.4mm on my Ksyrium Equippes (2013 vintage), but that's on my winter bike which has bags of clearance - also running SKS Chromoplastics so gives you an idea of the room available.

I've run them on occasion n the CR1 though and there was JUST enough room....but they're pretty narrow rims TBH
  • daniel_b
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Those tyres come up as 27.4mm on my Ksyrium Equippes (2013 vintage), but that's on my winter bike which has bags of clearance - also running SKS Chromoplastics so gives you an idea of the room available.

I've run them on occasion n the CR1 though and there was JUST enough room....but they're pretty narrow rims TBH

Eek :shock:

I wonder if that will be a bit tight then. I can of course send them back before I fit them.
    The wheels it now has are the Superstar components Elite 30mm wheels - fairly narrow internal width, which I assume balloons the tyre more than a wider internal rim.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    Went for 25mm Vittoria Open Pave CGs in the end (in black) given the concerns over clearance in the CR1 frame. The carbon clinchers I'm running are 17.5mm internal width so hopefully they'll sit well on those. Wiggle were cheapest I could find £25.99 each with 3.1% off through Topcashback. Hope they ride as well as people say.
  • itboffin
    Christ the roads here in Windshire are terrible on a par with Belgian cobbles in places, dropped my paves to 90 psi today which did smooth out the ride but had me worrying I had or would have a flat any minute
  • daniel_b
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Went for 25mm Vittoria Open Pave CGs in the end (in black) given the concerns over clearance in the CR1 frame. The carbon clinchers I'm running are 17.5mm internal width so hopefully they'll sit well on those. Wiggle were cheapest I could find £25.99 each with 3.1% off through Topcashback. Hope they ride as well as people say.

I chickened out, sent the 25's back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    My SL is now being sold on, but before I do the headset bearings are shot, does anyone have a spare set handy going for not too much money (as I don't really know which one I need)?
  • itboffin
    No sorry but I do know they're cheap and 2 secs to replace.
  • tincaman
    The current one is FSA, ideally I would need just the two bearings, can anybody point me a link to the correct ones please?
  • tincaman
    I found the answer, its stamped on the outside of the bearing, but covered in rust, once I cleaned it off, its a TH-873, 36x45, 6.5mm height, managed to find a bearing supplier to supply two for £14
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Anyone know what glue or other method can be used to re attach the bottom bracket cable guide to the frame. Was washing the bike and it just detached!
  • itboffin
    i'd think something like gorilla glue should do it
  • tincaman
    I think it's just held there by double sided tape