The Scott CR1 SL Thread

1777879808183»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Back out on the Scott twice this week in between snow storms, such a lovely bike.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    I bought one of these from a chap whose friend had acquired one of the discounted framesets and then sadly passed away before even being able to take it out the box. :(
    I pondered a long while, some 2 years as to what to do with it, I'd not long bought a NOS conti pro team frame from the sponsor and so was in a dilemma, the conti pro team frame was a bit lower spec than the CR1 but it had a 68mm threaded BB which was what really appealed to me.
    In the end I sold the Scott on but wish I'd been able to ride it to see how it went, nearly pulled the trigger on a new Alchemy Helios at an insanely reduced price from a UK bike shop that was in the same ball park of price reduction of the CR1 SL but I couldn't justify it as too many bikes and not enough time.

I don't have the itch yet for a top end CF frameset but with the way things are going regards discs there might be some rim brake bargains to be had.
    Hope there are lots of the HMX frames going and from reading there's a few still riding them regularly.
  • itboffin
    I love mine and have taken it to many countries and many mountains as well as plenty of UK riding, it was a bit harsh on the Flanders cobbles but super capable and can be made very lightweight.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Took mine to Mallorca this month and sadly one of the airports has broken beyond repair my rear wheel, bike is fine and was a dream as always, so so comfortable climbing and descending
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    edited November 2021
    itboffin said:

Took mine to Mallorca this month and sadly one of the airports has broken beyond repair my rear wheel, bike is fine and was a dream as always, so so comfortable climbing and descending

Sorry to hear about your wheel, as I read your post I thought you were going to say frame, so delighted to hear that is not the case :)

Sounds like it may have been a lucky escape for the frame though!

Can you claim for the cost at all, or will it be an excuse/reason to upgrade?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    It’s too much hassle but 100% of my trips abroad with the bike involve expensive damages it’s annoying to say the least
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    What a pita - considered a hard travel box/case?
    What do you use currently?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    daniel_b said:

What a pita - considered a hard travel box/case?
    What do you use currently?

I have a hard case box B&w the model canyon used to use, I’m just super unlucky 100% of the time
  • daniel_b
    Blimey, that is an eye opener - had wrongly assumed a hard case more or less guaranteed safe passage :/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Might have said this before but goddamn the SL is a dream bike to ride
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I haven't posted on the forum for an age, and neither had I ridden the CR1 for something like a year or more until today (almost exclusively gravel riding for me these days). Thought I'd come back beat up from the lack of cush from the relatively narrow rims and tyres, and would finally get round to putting it up for sale. Now I'm not so sure, it was an absolute blast! Trying to talk myself out of getting an eeSilk seatpost for it now, mind, and a sram 10sp wifli rear mech off ebay....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    Finally fitted my super lightweight hand built wheelset, bike is now 6.8kg with stock Ultegra R8000 and fairly heavy deda cockpit, 6.5kg should be an easy upgrade.
  • daniel_b
    itboffin said:

Finally fitted my super lightweight hand built wheelset, bike is now 6.8kg with stock Ultegra R8000 and fairly heavy deda cockpit, 6.5kg should be an easy upgrade.

What spec and weight?

And built by whom?

Pic?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Hand built obvs not by me

Super super light but noisy as hell spokes
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    Have any of you CR1 SL owners fitted a 4iiii Precision 2 crank to your bike?

Just picked one up for a ridiculous £168 for it, and then wondered about rear stay clearance. Of course I can send it back if need be.

Out of idle interest, I wonder how many people on this thread who bought and built, or had it built up still own it AND ride it?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Bought and built it up myself, and still riding it as my best bike. Still puts a smile on my face. Sadly back on the winter bike now the weather has finally caught up with the calendar ☹️
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    Munsford0 said:

Bought and built it up myself, and still riding it as my best bike. Still puts a smile on my face. Sadly back on the winter bike now the weather has finally caught up with the calendar ☹️

Mine has been in regular use all year, still an utter joy to ride.

The last ride for mine was probably September, possibly combined with the arrival of a new (Scott) commuter/gravel bike as well, but I tend to be conservative with the time of year I take my best bikes out, especially when wearing GP4000s/5000s.

I do have an Addict to in theory replace it, and I was going to give the CR1 to my brother who lives in Italy, but he no longer really has anywhere to store it sadly.
    So I will hang onto it, and continue to use it, he can use it when he is here, and it will likely be the bike I use if we pop them in the van to go somewhere, as I'm a bit less precious about it now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Do you have as many bikes as you do tops, Dan.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Bought, built (several times over) and ridden far more than me. Still nominally my best bike but my gravel bike (replaced this year) has been more fun. Also makes me think the 56 CR1 may be too big, or maybe just riding the shorter gravel bike makes it feel that way. If I'm feeling rich post-Christmas I might see how deep my pockets are.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    webboo said:

Do you have as many bikes as you do tops, Dan.

That will be a no :D

Whenever a new bike comes on board, a few colour co-ordinated jerseys/mitts/socks need to be acquired.

So the number of jerseys will always be greater than the number of bikes.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    I've showed up the power crank, and looks to be plenty of room with the design of the rear stay.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18