The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• I have another CR1 problem. Last few week I've noticed every revolution of crankset (under moderate or above) force is making a click once per rev.
    Any ideas? I'm thinking BB so may take apart and clean 1st. Seems smooth though

Wouldn't be running Look pedals would you? If so try re-greasing the threads on them. Weird, but I've had the same a few times over the years.
  • I have another CR1 problem. Last few week I've noticed every revolution of crankset (under moderate or above) force is making a click once per rev.

Wouldn't be running Look pedals would you? If so try re-greasing the threads on them. Weird, but I've had the same a few times over the years.

Progress. Did a 50 today and it drove me nuts. Got home, cleaned chain and cassette, changed pedals before messing with chainset to shimano 105's that I know are fine. Ride 5 mins....silence :) . Changed back to the Time Xpressos, greased threads ride 5 mins (in trainers) fine. Try on road shoes for few mins, still fine!!!!??????
    ...at least BB is fine (well maybe a little laggy :lol: )
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i think this is the problem, the bung isn't contacting with the top of the fork

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3tleYXpRZQ9ekU2TzJLZDh1SE1lekdJVURxVVBKZ3psbmhj
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    well that is that little problem resolved and in the process I must have poured about half a glass of water out of the forks, no doubt from my recent very wet week in the Alps.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Progress. Did a 50 today and it drove me nuts. Got home, cleaned chain and cassette, changed pedals before messing with chainset to shimano 105's that I know are fine. Ride 5 mins....silence :) . Changed back to the Time Xpressos, greased threads ride 5 mins (in trainers) fine. Try on road shoes for few mins, still fine!!!!??????
    ...at least BB is fine (well maybe a little laggy :lol: )

There, that's it fixed. I've never worked out how the pedals make that clicking noise, or how greasing the threads cures it, but it does seem to.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    i think this is the problem, the bung isn't contacting with the top of the fork

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3tleYXpRZQ9ekU2TzJLZDh1SE1lekdJVURxVVBKZ3psbmhj

Doh! down to your lbs then I think?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Nope matey fixed that one myself, lbs is just for cutting or bashing shite I don't want to break
  • Sadly I've put mine up for sale. Yet another summer has gone by with me barely being able to touch it. The good news is I have 3 months solid work in London coming up, so I can get some serious commuting miles in, but the CR1's too nice for that.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    What size is it?
  • What size is it?

It's a 54. It's over in the classifieds if you want a look.
  • itboffin
    What an amazing bike I'm so glad I snapped up one of these frameset, my advise to fellow owners is make sure you maintain yours.

After removing the rain water and fixing my loose headset this week mine is once again a total joy to ride.
  • and keep an eye on that rear wheel alignment........... :(
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    What an amazing bike I'm so glad I snapped up one of these frameset, my advise to fellow owners is make sure you maintain yours.

After removing the rain water and fixing my loose headset this week mine is once again a total joy to ride.

Think it might be high time to check mine then. Out yesterday and the amount of rattling and vibration was noticeable. Given I was on 25mm tyres at 85 psi on wide'ish rims, I put it down to a combination of sh**ty local roads, and my RaceWare out in front mount and Exposure bar mount having a tiny amounts of play in them. Must try a ride without them to see, although the seat pack rattles too! I hate rattles.... :evil:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

Think it might be high time to check mine then. Out yesterday and the amount of rattling and vibration was noticeable. Given I was on 25mm tyres at 85 psi on wide'ish rims, I put it down to a combination of sh**ty local roads, and my RaceWare out in front mount and Exposure bar mount having a tiny amounts of play in them. Must try a ride without them to see, although the seat pack rattles too! I hate rattles.... :evil:

Well mine was rattling like a bag of spanners yesterday. My demented Garmin Touring once again took me down a bridleway. Maybe it's just a shortcut I thought... :roll: 2 miles of filling rattling CX later I arrive in a farmyard with the only escape a muddy footpath. Clearances on the CR1 not really designed for mud, so cue a U-turn and another 2 miles of bone jarring off road, this time mainly uphill. Got a funny look from a tractor driver who presumably doesn't see many roadies that far from civilization.

On a positive note, once back on the tarmac, the bike was totally silent again. So I'm confident it's all still screwed together properly. :D
  • luv2ride
    Anyone running VITTORIA OPEN PAVE CG tyres on their CR1 SLs? If so, did you keep to 25mm, or would 27mm squeeze in? I'm after trying to soften the ride a bit more as the roads round here are getting worse, not better. I'm running 25mm Ultremos at 85psi on wide'ish rims which have improved things, but tempted by the Open Pave's 320tpi with Latex tubes to see if that will be even smoother. Interested to hear if anyone has already gone down this route with their Scott? cheers
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • keef66
    I have 25mm Pro 4 SC on mine, but they actually measure 27mm when inflated. There's adequate clearance but I wouldn't want to risk anything fatter.
  • luv2ride
    I have 25mm Pro 4 SC on mine, but they actually measure 27mm when inflated. There's adequate clearance but I wouldn't want to risk anything fatter.

I've had 25mm Pro4 Endurances on the Scott occasionally (albeit with narrow'ish Ksyririum rims) and agree they came up at close to 27mm. However, I wonder if they'd come up bigger on my wider carbon rims, and also whether the Vittorias are more true to size? Any direct experiences out there?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215

I've had 25mm Pro4 Endurances on the Scott occasionally (albeit with narrow'ish Ksyririum rims) and agree they came up at close to 27mm. However, I wonder if they'd come up bigger on my wider carbon rims, and also whether the Vittorias are more true to size? Any direct experiences out there?
    No direct experiences of the Vittorias, but going from GP4000s on narrow Dura Ace C24 to 25mm wide carbon rims did not make any significant difference to the amount of clearance: just as close with either wheel!. Pro 4 Service Course 25mm don't come up quite as big as the Contis for me.
  • itboffin
    if you have narrow rims then you could try 28c Vittoria rubino pro tech mine measure 25c on Mavic rims
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Morning all,

I will shortly have a Westbrooks 56cm 2012 CR1 SL frame for sale - still boxed, only bought in case the 54 did not suit.

If anyone is interested, please pm me before I pop a proper listing in the classifieds.

Thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I have a spare rear hanger for the CR1 for sale in the classifieds.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Anyone running VITTORIA OPEN PAVE CG tyres on their CR1 SLs? If so, did you keep to 25mm, or would 27mm squeeze in? I'm after trying to soften the ride a bit more as the roads round here are getting worse, not better. I'm running 25mm Ultremos at 85psi on wide'ish rims which have improved things, but tempted by the Open Pave's 320tpi with Latex tubes to see if that will be even smoother. Interested to hear if anyone has already gone down this route with their Scott? cheers

I had Open PAve in 25 mm on my Scott. They got in with a little room to spare on Mavic Open Sport rims. Nice tyre but they cut up badly. I now run Panaracer Gravel King 26mm on the same rim.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Actually, I have a Works Manufacturing CERAMIC BB for the Scott CR1 since mine died, done like 80 miles!!! .... i should get it up on classified. i too have spare hanger and seatpost collar.....
  • my ceramic BB is now in the classifieds.
    i have a rear hanger that i need to dig out - and prob just give away for KARMA purposes as i wont be needing it. i'll post up on this thread as soon as i have found it and someone can get dibs.

have actually used the Scott front fork on my new* frame as it was far superior to what it came with .

if i find any other SCOTT specific stuff on the shed clearout this weekend i'll KARMA what i can on here !

*1995 team edition fondriest :)
  • it is cosmetic or real damage. The paint craked and in the frame whase a little caviti which you can see. It is 0.5-1mm deep.I removed all the paint above theI hole. I should worry? http://postimg.org/image/4gtlal8td/
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Look like physical damage, how did it happen? Looks like it's confined to the top layer, and bearing in mind where it is, I don't think you should worry
  • I think it was a bubble of trapped air since when it was made. I looked inside the tube and I did not see any problem thet correspond with the outside. I knocked the frame all around the hol with a coin and its sound ok. The frame its have 5000 km. theoretical It is still in warranty but I do not want to change it if there are no problems.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    ttbila wrote:
    I think it was a bubble of trapped air since when it was made. I looked inside the tube and I did not see any problem thet correspond with the outside. I knocked the frame all around the hol with a coin and its sound ok. The frame its have 5000 km. theoretical It is still in warranty but I do not want to change it if there are no problems.
    If you went through warranty they'd only offer you a bright yellow 2011 Addict RC. They don't have any CR1 SL frames anymore.
  • keef66
    Looks tiny and superficial to me; I'm sure you'll be fine to carry on riding it. If it really annoys you, put a dab of paint or suitably coloured nail varnish in the little crater.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I hope will be ok. I post some pictures with the repair .http://postimg.org/image/rlxm11i3p/
    http://postimg.org/image/3uzinxgf3/ http://postimg.org/image/ccycxaq9n/