Comments

• Nice to see one fitted with campag

Even in the little ring?

Took another shot of mine in its latest guise today:

C58F57E6-3A13-4CA8-9CB6-C26666564811_zpswe972l6c.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeah but full campag not FSA crankset

Had any loose left crankarm moments yet?

You will

Not nit picking or anything but your saddle is very far forward on the rails and a few degrees tipped at the front is that frame the right size for you?

Oh and FSA
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Yeah but full campag not FSA crankset

Had any loose left crankarm moments yet?

You will

Not nit picking or anything but your saddle is very far forward on the rails and a few degrees tipped at the front is that frame the right size for you?

Oh and FSA

I must admit there was one commute where I had a NDS crank arm dangling from my shoe, but it's been ok other than that for the past two and a half years plus it's carbon, so I'm ok with some extra fiddling.

Saddle is where the bike-fit machine put it, I'd say it fits me beautifully.
  • itboffin
    Ah the old FSA one legged trick, I'd say there isn't an FSA owner who hasn't had the pleasure
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    My Felt had an FSA crankset and never had any issues with it, and my 2nd hand Marin came with a FSA full carbon jobbie, probably the same as UE's, and that had covered at least 2000 miles when I bought it, and has since covered at least another 3500 miles, and I've had zero issues.

This might just mean that it's bonded on and will never come off of course :?

And 3 days on, my Vectors are still sat in sodding customs - ITB, did I read that you had something from Germany delayed by customs - do you recall how long it took?
    When it despatched on Thursday I thought there was no way I would not have them by this weekend - looking unlikely now.
    Only downside of them arriving is that I will have to remove the sought out yellow Look pedals from the SL :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • My Felt had an FSA crankset and never had any issues with it, and my 2nd hand Marin came with a FSA full carbon jobbie, probably the same as UE's, and that had covered at least 2000 miles when I bought it, and has since covered at least another 3500 miles, and I've had zero issues.

This might just mean that it's bonded on and will never come off of course :?

To be fair, the only time mine's come off is when I had (for reasons of me being a total meat hook) neglected to use my torque wrench when re-fitting. I remember thinking, "Yep, that should be tight enough". Couple of weeks later:

D12D28DB-5CFA-4AA9-AC95-0BC236BDB662_zpsswwdqdbn.jpg
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Did you manage to get your phone out to take that photo while still riding along? You don't strike me as a hat-cam sort of fellow.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Did you manage to get your phone out to take that photo while still riding along? You don't strike me as a hat-cam sort of fellow.
    Always keep my phone in my jersey pocket, plus good bearings mean I had plenty of time. I'm definitely not the hat cam type, wouldn't want anyone finding out what proportion of the time I spend looking at myself in shop windows.
  • itboffin
    I have a crank brother To ISIS bottom bracket knocking about if anyone would like it, I'm never fitting FSA cranks again.
  • itboffin
    BALLS i think there's something wrong with my Scott its developed a slight amount of play in the headset area three rides in three even though i've correctly torqued it up each time, i just hope its shagged headset bearings and not something more serious.
  • daniel_b
    BALLS i think there's something wrong with my Scott its developed a slight amount of play in the headset area three rides in three even though i've correctly torqued it up each time, i just hope its shagged headset bearings and not something more serious.

Could it just be the expander plug - think it's meant to be torqued up to 8nm IIRC.
    Apologies if you mean you have done this one already.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536

Could it just be the expander plug - think it's meant to be torqued up to 8nm IIRC.
    Apologies if you mean you have done this one already.
    8nm sounds familiar. Maybe try a bit of carbon paste on both the bung and the steerer tube/stem.
  • itboffin
    8nm wtf that's crazy tight and can't be the problem I've been riding this since bought the frameset, well a few days afterwards when all the parts arrived :twisted:
  • daniel_b
    8nm wtf that's crazy tight and can't be the problem I've been riding this since bought the frameset, well a few days afterwards when all the parts arrived :twisted:

Agreed that does seem pretty tight, but that would be nice if it were your issue eh :-)

This was my source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQe9TJJq1PE
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    From the Scott manual:

Tighten the Expander with the 8mm Allen key at (A) to a torque of 8/9NM pressure, making sure that the Expander stays flush to the top of the steerer and doesn’t lift slightly.
  • daniel_b
    From the Scott manual:

Tighten the Expander with the 8mm Allen key at (A) to a torque of 8/9NM pressure, making sure that the Expander stays flush to the top of the steerer and doesn’t lift slightly.

Which is exactly what happened on the Contessa to start with, did my head in for a bit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    My forks were cut and set in place by a very good lbs whove done the same for all my carbon fork setups.
  • itboffin
    Also this bike has done the 312 & marmotte, LBL and several other big distance rides there's no way the bung is slipping now.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Sorry if this has been asked before. But I am thinking of putting 25mm or 27mm tyres on my Scott CR1. Anyone had any problems with the fit ? thanks
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Sorry if this has been asked before. But I am thinking of putting 25mm or 27mm tyres on my Scott CR1. Anyone had any problems with the fit ? thanks
    25mm is a very tight fit at the rear seat stays. You should be OK if your wheel is true and the tires are no bigger than 25mm.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I have GP4000S 25mm on my frame with Shimano RS80 wheels. It *just* fits within a few mm, which is normally not an issue, but on steep climbs when I'm out of the saddle I can hear the tyre rubbing the frame slightly.

So more than 25mm, no chance.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    25mm should be ok. I'm running Schwalbe Ultemo ZX 25s on reasonable wide carbon rims and it's fine on my SL.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    25c vittoria paves on mine no problems at all
  • itboffin
    i truely is amazing how different two bikes can feel to ride, I do love my Scott but its a bit harsh in a sort of rigid on rails kinda way, my Ribble sportive is the total opposite it just seems to soak up everything from the road and almost blend in, both are comfortable for all day challenging riding but totally different characteristics.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    i truely is amazing how different two bikes can feel to ride, I do love my Scott but its a bit harsh in a sort of rigid on rails kinda way, my Ribble sportive is the total opposite it just seems to soak up everything from the road and almost blend in, both are comfortable for all day challenging riding but totally different characteristics.

Yup - I was stunned by my bro's CXer. Until that point, I thought the differences were more at the subtle end if things.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367

Similar experience here on my Crosslight, albeit shod with bigger tyres at lower pressures, much smoother than the CR1. But I still love the Scott for climbing and overall pace though. Would be intrigued to try a well sorted Synapse or BMC Gran Fondo or similar, just to see if best of both worlds?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    I should have added that my R5 feels much like gliding on air which could have something to do with it only weighing 14 ish lbs I've also ridden an R3 and a supersix evo for a couple of weeks both of which were great but nothing special I'd say the Scott is better than both of those.

Then again I suspect a lot of that is down to wheels and tyres, I'm running ultegra shod with paves at 100psi both the R3 and supersix were hirw bikes with average wheels and crap tyres.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Indeed I got totally shaken to bits today on rough roads. Ended up my chain is now rubbing on the front mech which is annoying.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I should have added that my R5 feels much like gliding on air which could have something to do with it only weighing 14 ish lbs I've also ridden an R3 and a supersix evo for a couple of weeks both of which were great but nothing special I'd say the Scott is better than both of those

I have just bought a Supersix Evo. Upgraded the wheels to RS81 (vs Zondas on my CR1 SL) and the Cannondale definitely soaks up the bumps better whilst handling superbly. Also have a Ribble Sportive Bianco, handling much more vague on that bike.
  • Jezzery
    Jezzery Posts: 122
    Finally got round to building it! On the look out for a bargain red crank. Will cut and take down the handlebars when i can face tweaking again.

Scott_CR1.jpg
    http://postimage.org/app.php