The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeah that's is odd
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    definitely odd. Here's mine (needs a clean :oops: ):
    image.jpg1_zps5oahsygl.jpg
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • shoota
    shoota Posts: 7
    definitely odd. Here's mine (needs a clean :oops: ):

Dang it. I wonder if it's a US/UK thing? Man if this bike was HMX I'd have already bought it.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Is there that much difference between HMF and HMX anyway? If it's a good deal then get it?

I say as a rider of an HMF frame ;)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hey, thanks for the offer, as bizarrely as it sounds, I have 4 of those in my cupboard already! (Planned purchase for the Exocet 2)
    It doesn't sound at all bizarre that you might have some spare yellow bike parts ;)
    4 though? I've heard it said that the minimum number of spare yellow bike tyres one needs is 7.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Is there that much difference between HMF and HMX anyway? If it's a good deal then get it?

HMX is stiffer so a bike made with it will be a bit lighter than the same spec bike made with HMF. There's not a lot in it though: the 54cm HMX frame/fork is 860g/330g and the HMF is 950g/390g so 150g or 1/3 lb difference for the frameset, i.e. 2.62 vs 2.94 lbs or 11% lighter. The HMF is still a pretty light frame.
  • shoota

HMX is stiffer so a bike made with it will be a bit lighter than the same spec bike made with HMF. There's not a lot in it though: the 54cm HMX frame/fork is 860g/330g and the HMF is 950g/390g so 150g or 1/3 lb difference for the frameset, i.e. 2.62 vs 2.94 lbs or 11% lighter. The HMF is still a pretty light frame.

Very true. When your bike is about as light as you can get it then a lighter frameset is the only place to go. I also really like that HMX is stiffer. My CR1 got wrecked so I'm in the market to get another one and figured if I have the cash why not get the best one? Which brings me to my next question, which years did the CR1 come in HMX?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That is odd. Like many others here I bought the CR1-SL frameset when Westbrooks were knocking them out for £500. Said HMX on their website and it says the same on my frame. There's photos in this thread showing frames sitting on digital scales showing them to be the featherweight HMX model. Yet I can now find no reference online to a CR1-SL in HMX carbon...
  • shoota
    That is odd. Like many others here I bought the CR1-SL frameset when Westbrooks were knocking them out for £500. Said HMX on their website and it says the same on my frame. There's photos in this thread showing frames sitting on digital scales showing them to be the featherweight HMX model. Yet I can now find no reference online to a CR1-SL in HMX carbon...

Yeah it's driving me nuts. If any of you UK people wanna ship me your 56cm CR1 I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands :)
  • bobones
    Seems like the frameset was HMX but the full bike had an HMF frame

Wayback Machine CR1 SL Frameset

Wayback Machine CR1 SL Full Bike
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I also bought the scott cr1 pro from westbrook.. but it stated its was HMF on the add and that's what it says on my bike..

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-cr1-pro-hmf-road-frame-set-2012-p194664
  • markhewitt1978
    I also bought the scott cr1 pro from westbrook.. but it stated its was HMF on the add and that's what it says on my bike..

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-cr1-pro-hmf-road-frame-set-2012-p194664

Yes that's the Pro Frame, which is the one I have, always was HMF. But the SL frames were HMX.
  • shoota

Grr. Great find but damn that's annoying, why would Scott do that..
  • markhewitt1978
    Perhaps that's the main reason they were selling them off, as they didn't make CR1 SL bikes with HMX any more?
  • bobones

Don't know, but if I were you, I'd just get the HMF SL. I doubt the finished frame is actually all that much stiffer than the HMF, if at all, because the stiffer carbon is used to make a lighter bike, not a stiffer bike. So in the end we're talking about 150 g difference in weight, which is not going to be noticeable unless your bike is hanging from a set of scales.
  • shoota

Don't know, but if I were you, I'd just get the HMF SL. I doubt the finished frame is actually all that much stiffer than the HMF, if at all, because the stiffer carbon is used to make a lighter bike, not a stiffer bike. So in the end we're talking about 150 g difference in weight, which is not going to be noticeable unless your bike is hanging from a set of scales.

Ok then send me your HMX frame please :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-scott-cr1-sl10-36942/

Different paintjob, but it seems they were doing CR1-SL HMX bikes back in 2010 when this review was written...
  • bobones

Ok then send me your HMX frame please :)
    Sorry, I have a CR1 Pro!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    <sprints for the line>

2000!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    <sprints for the line>

2000!

Good work, glad too see some traditions are still alive
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • shoota
    Must be a British thing cause I don't get it ha
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Took mine for it's first 60+ mile ride yesterday.

Didn't start well as I clearly had not torqued up the Ritchey one bolt seatpost, and was trying to get used to the Look Keo pedals and cleats, the end result being a van stopping to let someone out after just oulling off caused me to sit on the end of the saddle and send it down to an unusable angle!
    Levelled that off, and tightening it up made it last for the rest of the ride, and once home I levelled it again, and tightened it up to the required 12nm - which feels really tight.

So the bike - feels very light and responsive to accelerations, I'm running a 52/36 with an 11/28, so not as low a gear available as I have on my Marin, which is a triple, but as it seems to climb much better am hoping this will not be an issue.

The Exalith rims and compatible pads are bedding in nicely, though they do make quite a noise, also first time out inthe real world with a European setup, but as I tend to hit both brakes anyway I don't see this being too much of an issue.

Started getting the hang of clipping in more quickly, but still a long way from the automatic way I am used to doing it with the double sided M520's - also not as much of a difference power transfer wise, was hoping the bigger platform would make a big difference, but as my MTB shoes always have rock 'ard carbon soles I don't believe I lose much if anything with that setup.

The bike felt very comfy on the ride, but this morning I did have a slight twinge in my left knee, so am hoping it is just a case of a marginally different cleat angle (I had to run them fairly straight as if I toe them in at the heel I clatter the rear stays) and that my body will get used to it.

The Ultegra 6800 groupset is a joy, notably the change at the front end is whippy fast, it just seems to swap cogs instantly, really happy with it.
    Rear needed a mild tweak on the barrel adjuster, but now seems spot on.

The ride itself was not very fast, as my bro covered a lot of miles on Sunday so didn't have the legs, but I managed to give it a bit of gas on a few sections, and it felt wonderful, booth uphill and downhill, no skippyness, or nervousness, and also seemed (Could be placebo) to soak up the bumps a lot more than I am used to.

Going out tonight to attack a local 20 mile route, which has a few Strava segments that I willbe having a go at, am hoping for great things, but we shall see.

So in summary, I absolutely love it, such a nice comfy, and fast bike to ride - not a massive 'looker' but to my eyes really does the business and not on a skyhigh budget.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Well went out tonight for a 20 mile blast, and slightly disappointingly wasn't any quicker than my fastest effort on my Marin (Thinking that is probably due to the 60 yesterday), but I had a good go at 2 Strava segments, and managed to improve on one 3.5 minute-ish section, and am now 4th overall - well chuffed with that.
    Knocked 16 seconds off my previous best time (3:50 versus 3:34) and wasn't at utter maximum attack, a KOM could be within reach which I wouldn't have thought was possible one year ago :D

So it does appear that to some degree it is about the bike.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobones
    edited July 2015
    deleted
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Nice one DanielB, I still get a real buzz out of riding mine, even more so after a week of lugging panniers around on the commute...

Am building a cheap TT bike, fork has an alloy steerer: would I be correct in assuming that I don't need an expander in there and that just a star nut will suffice? Ta...
  • daniel_b
    Nice one DanielB, I still get a real buzz out of riding mine, even more so after a week of lugging panniers around on the commute...

Am building a cheap TT bike, fork has an alloy steerer: would I be correct in assuming that I don't need an expander in there and that just a star nut will suffice? Ta...

Thanks PB, I know it's only a tiny segment, and that not that many people will have ridden it, but bloody hell it's a serious motivator :-)

I will be building a TT bike later this year as well, but yes you are right, a star nut is all you need in an alloy steerer, though I assume there would be nothing to stop you using an expander should you wish too.
    Be sure to post pics once it is up and running :-)

Are you already taking part in TT's?
    I have not started doing any yet.......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    My local 10 is the Six Hills course on the A46 a few miles north of Leicester, did it once last year on the Scott in a few seconds under 25, did 24.43 two years before on my old Trek with clip-on bars so very curious to see how quickly I can go on a full TT set-up... hopefully I'll find out next Thursday or the one after.
  • 18704706714_b010ef166c_o.jpgscott_cr1sl_july_2015 by Mark Goldstein, on Flickr

Build Update, July 1st 2015

6.7Kg (54cm frame)
    Full Campag Chorus g/set (2013)
    Spada Stiletto alu clincher wheels (1250g)
    3T Ltd finishing kit
  • itboffin
    Nice to see one fitted with campag