The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    well there's a small update on that "finding" ...

I rode it for a short 15 mile sprint on Sunday and whilst it was mostly quiet there is still some rattling, i recon a really thin spacer would sort it completely.

I did also notice that without a spacer when you back pedal the chain drops down from the inner large cassette sprocket, and before anyones says it yes i know back pedalling isnt something you should be doing, but it annoys me that it happens, i suspect that's why i put a spacer in the first place.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jezzery
    Jezzery Posts: 122
    [quote="[

:roll:[/quote]

My CR1 is nearly finally finished - only 2 years down the line, I am guessing many people will already know the colour scheme.
    Handlebar and hood position finalised and torqued up at the weekend, just need to get the bar tape on and re-apply some frame protection, as the current matte stuff (although it went perfectly on the Minute) isn't sticking properly on this frame - planning to use a hair dryer to heat it up, but not sure whether to do it before application or as soon as I have applied it, anyone carried it out succesfully?

The Contessa is also finished, so will get pics up of both soon to bore you with :D[/quote]

Mine is still in its box. Got the forks cut and that is far as i got. Every summer I keep meaning to build it. Came back here thinking it would be dead but good to see others are struggling to get them on the road. Will post a pic next year sometime. :oops:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    [quote="[

:roll:

Mine is still in its box. Got the forks cut and that is far as i got. Every summer I keep meaning to build it. Came back here thinking it would be dead but good to see others are struggling to get them on the road. Will post a pic next year sometime. :oops:

How can you do that?? My frame was out of the box when it was delivered to the office, impressing my colleagues with it's incredible lightness (less so with the meh paintjob). Soon as I got it home I was stripping bits off the alu bike to build up the CR1 to see what it was like.

Admit it, you just bought it because it was a bargain, not because you really wanted one... :wink:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    That stuff should be illegal! Send it to me!.. wait, what size is it ;)
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Still loving my Pro, which is undoubtedly my best bike and only to be used in good weather. Now with 6.5k miles on the clock but still looking like new. I never could understand people trying to turn this thoroughbred into a commuting bike ffs.

17036730958_df1b477fd2_b.jpg
  • a_to_the_j
    a_to_the_j Posts: 193
    bobones

thats what i do with mine - why not commute on something you love. i ran with it all winter, 150k's a week, recent change on the BB other than that she's perfect - why keep something in the garage most of the year ffs
  • bobones
    bobones

thats what i do with mine - why not commute on something you love. i ran with it all winter, 150k's a week, recent change on the BB other than that she's perfect - why keep something in the garage most of the year ffs
    My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, and was more to stress that I treat my CR1 as my best bike. But for a start, the CR1 is not designed for commuting and is a poor fit for the task. There's barely enough clearance for 25mm tyres never mind proper mudguards or even cruds. I have nice stuff on my CR1 that I don't want to trash in muddy, grimy, salty paste. My Dura Ace wheels would be dust by now for sure, instead I have 12k miles on them with plenty of life left. My chains, cassettes and Praxis chainrings have virtually no wear and my SRAM shifers and derailleurs are unmarked and work flawlessly on the original cables. I've only just changed the brake pads for the first time! Also, I only ever seem to crash in winter so there's another reason to use a more expendable bike.

I have a nice Trek 1.5 as my winter/rain bike. It takes proper SKS Longboard mudguards with 25mm tyres no problem. It has rack mounts too although I never use them. That is my go to bike in foul weather and it is very pleasant to ride although proably a full 5lbs heavier than the CR1

I also have a lovely aluminium Felt F85 that I really enjoy riding and use from time to time in place of the CR1 when there are showers around and I don't want to get the Scott dirty or wear out my rims.
  • a_to_the_j
    thats ok my answer was tongue in cheek too, :)
    i run a clip on rear mudguard and get a crud under the front, + 25mm tyres. yeah its breakin those Roady Rules, meh!

for sure i dont run my best wheels in winter and i accept with the milage i do to replace the chain and cassette after a full season or 2 depending on wear. i'm still running 9 speed so its quite cheap.
    it means i dont have to maintain a number of road bikes with chains cassettes and the variety of things that wear our and go wrong, as i already have a touring bike, cross, and mountain bike!

hey as long as we are all enjoying riding this lovely bike!!!!! :D
  • markhewitt1978
    Still loving my Pro, which is undoubtedly my best bike and only to be used in good weather. Now with 6.5k miles on the clock but still looking like new. I never could understand people trying to turn this thoroughbred into a commuting bike ffs.

17036730958_df1b477fd2_b.jpg

So true, but what can you do when you've only got space for one bike?
  • bobones
    OK, I agree that one bike for all occasions is the only viable or best solution for some people. I am lucky enough to have enough space for an assortment of bikes and tools, and I enjoy having multiple bikes to maintain as well as ride. Anyway, my main point is that I still love my CR1! :D
  • markhewitt1978
    OK, I agree that one bike for all occasions is the only viable or best solution for some people. I am lucky enough to have enough space for an assortment of bikes and tools, and I enjoy having multiple bikes to maintain as well as ride. Anyway, my main point is that I still love my CR1! :D

Indeed! Although I'm still scheming to get a 'winter' bike for this year, although I say that every year. The Planet X 'London Road' frame for £150 is tempting.
  • a_to_the_j
    ive not been too impressed with certain Planet X frames, I had an uncle john, and the area around the BB seems to flex a lot - i dont know if this to to give rider comfort or not, but putting the power down was utter rubbish. i'd prefer to always have a stiff frame then add in comfort on the bars/saddle/seat post later...
  • bobones
    The London Road is exactly the kind of bike I'd buy for a winter/gravel bike if I could justify it. Disc brakes in winter would be so much better than wearing through rims and pads at the alarming rate I do now.
  • Jezzery
    [quote="[

How can you do that?? My frame was out of the box when it was delivered to the office, impressing my colleagues with it's incredible lightness (less so with the meh paintjob). Soon as I got it home I was stripping bits off the alu bike to build up the CR1 to see what it was like.

Admit it, you just bought it because it was a bargain, not because you really wanted one... :wink:

Haha yes it was partly that, but the funny thing was I had all good intensions to build it, so i cannibalised all the good stuff off my supersix, namely - sram red shifters and derailleurs (replaced with 105). I've even got a set of brand new dura ace C35's sitting in wheel bags waiting for the grand build. I'll then have 4 bikes to justify - i think that is what my problem is and i can't bare to leave them in the shed so they are all sat around the house in random places. Luckily the Mrs is quite understanding but not sure what would happen if another bike appeared in the house one day. :roll:
  • keef66
    [quote="[

Haha yes it was partly that, but the funny thing was I had all good intensions to build it, so i cannibalised all the good stuff off my supersix, namely - sram red shifters and derailleurs (replaced with 105). I've even got a set of brand new dura ace C35's sitting in wheel bags waiting for the grand build. I'll then have 4 bikes to justify - i think that is what my problem is and i can't bare to leave them in the shed so they are all sat around the house in random places. Luckily the Mrs is quite understanding but not sure what would happen if another bike appeared in the house one day. :roll:

Jeebus! Sounds like you have way more disposable income than me! Doubt I'd have bought the CR1 if I already had a Supersix / Red...
  • Jezzery
    [quote="[

Jeebus! Sounds like you have way more disposable income than me! Doubt I'd have bought the CR1 if I already had a Supersix / Red...

It wasn't the Red build Supersix, it was the ultegra, but i swapped the red shifters off a planet X bike i got in a good deal when they were doing their Carbon pro models for £1000. I know it all gets confusing so basically the red shifters will have done the rounds. I admit the the c35's were a bit of an extravagance but I got those in one of those crazy Merlin deals they had a few years ago. Think i got them for £670 after cashback.

I have no more money for any bikes for quite a long time now and the fact that I have one sitting there waiting to be built acts as a deterrent to buy any more deals that come up.

Now wheres that bargain thread gone....
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    So finally, here are pics of the Contessa and SL :D

18517511940_b19538fb13_k.jpg
    18084561913_fba5cc2acc_k.jpg
    18678952666_0a83684d85_k.jpg
    18517490270_9a026c6687_k.jpg
    18707556771_796410357e_k.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • markhewitt1978
    Very smart!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Very impressive attention to detail, but is the saddle on the SL straight, or is it the camera? It looks to be pointing very slightly right.

Of course, 60% of men dress to the left...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou for the kind words gents :-)

I just checked, and the saddle is perfectly straight, so must just have been the camera angle.

Took me a fair amount of time and searching to amass all of the bits.

Got very lucky with the white and purple Arione Donna, only £36 from JE James.
    Little trim bits like the purple handlebar caps, and valve caps just finish the Contessa off I think, tied in with the white and lime bottle cages.
    Oh and the FSA stem with the Pink K in the SL-K was a bit of luck too!

It was a struggle to get an inline ritchey carbon seatpost - CRC listed one, but kept sending me one with setback, I kept trying and got lucky on the 3rd attempt!
    The wheels were a huge extravagance and are in no way good vfm, but when there was a bit of a deal on at Royles I couldn't stop myself from ordering :oops:

First proper (ie not around the block) inaugral ride after work today I hope.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    All this time and you post pics in the small chainrings and the wrong way around.

Tut tut tut
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    All this time and you post pics in the small chainrings and the wrong way around.

Tut tut tut

I KNEW that would get mentioned :lol:

Oh I weighed my SL tonight, comes in at 7.1kg as in the pic - fairly pleased with that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin

Tut tut tut

I KNEW that would get mentioned :lol:

Oh I weighed my SL tonight, comes in at 7.1kg as in the pic - fairly pleased with that.

but still you went ahead and broke the rules, shame on you :roll:
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    finished mine last night. just need to get the steerer tube cut down and it should be done. Taking it out today to see how it goes.. Dodgy back- hence the need for spacers and a rise in the stem.. :(

18793794252_d15f389d6f_z.jpgBike 3 side by thebigman1191, on Flickr
  • a_to_the_j
    looks nice!
    looks like your running a mtb rear cassette ? 32T + med cage?
    i do this when running standard front!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    the SL :D

Daniel,
    You know what you need?
    Yellow and black tyres.

I was having a tidy today and found 3 still boxed. 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa Evo KS.
    These ones
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/vittoria-vittoria-open-corsa-evo-ks-folding-tyre-700-622-prod18700

Interested? :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    looks nice!

Yeh I am. Of out to the alps shortly so I know I'll need it. I'm more of a spinner up climbs..!
  • keef66
    looks nice!

Yeh I am. Of out to the alps shortly so I know I'll need it. I'm more of a spinner up climbs..!

So's Froomey and he seemed to do OK yesterday!
  • daniel_b
    the SL :D

Daniel,
    You know what you need?
    Yellow and black tyres.

I was having a tidy today and found 3 still boxed. 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa Evo KS.
    These ones
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/vittoria-vittoria-open-corsa-evo-ks-folding-tyre-700-622-prod18700

Interested? :wink:

Hey, thanks for the offer, as bizarrely as it sounds, I have 4 of those in my cupboard already! (Planned purchase for the Exocet 2)
    And I also have 2 Michelin pro 4 endurance tyres, but I couldn't bring myself to take off the factory fit tyres, so will wait to wear those out and then put the Michelins on in all likelihood.
    TF-Pro4Endur-2yel.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shoota
    shoota Posts: 7
    Alright guys I need a little info here. This 2012 CR1 SL I'm looking at says HMF on it but I was under the impression it should be HMX, so what gives here??

2012_cr1_sl.jpg
    http://postimage.org/app.php
    2012_cr1_sl_hmf.jpg
    http://postimage.org/