The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• Rolf F wrote:
    Argh they've said I have to return it as a framset which means the cost of having it stripped down.

Or finding someone who can show you what a spanner does so you can do it yourself! :wink:

Haha. I have Allen keys etc but not crank pullers and the likes. In any case I don't have to now I'm taking it back to the shop as a full bike.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    By the looks of that picture you were riding it in the wet, it must have melted off since you can't find it.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    If you have shimano cranks then allen keys will diassemble the whole bike
  • Gozzy wrote:
    By the looks of that picture you were riding it in the wet, it must have melted off since you can't find it.

Argh carbon frame in the cold and wet no wonder it's melted. :(
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    That sucks but I'd be tempted to fit a braze on or find someone to bond it?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Took it down to Westbrooks and they're going to strip it down to send the frame off to some place down South who will fix the frame and send it back. Thankfully the stripping down and building up again is all covered by warranty :)
  • Finally got my bike back. Westbrooks had to strip it down post off the frame and then build it back up again. The new cable stop isn't colour matched like the old one, it's just plain black. Still you wouldn't notice.

They put in some new headset bearings too.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    What's the biggest tyre size folks are managing to run on their CR1's (sans 'guards)?

Reckon I might get away with 28mm on Campag Zondas, or too tight?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • tincaman
    Luv2ride wrote:
    What's the biggest tyre size folks are managing to run on their CR1's (sans 'guards)?

Reckon I might get away with 28mm on Campag Zondas, or too tight?
    I have 25mm GP4000s on Zondas , no chance of anything bigger
  • 25mm contis, thats my max width.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    25mm gp4000s2 on Ksyrium was too big for mine (less than 1mm either side at the chain stays).
    23mm gp4000s on wider Archetype was fine.
    25mm Schwalbe one tubeless on Ksyrium looked ok but very close (I didn't ride it like that though).
    I'm now running 23mm Schwalbe one tubeless on Pacenti SL23 wide rims and I think I've found the best compromise. (25mm on the front as there is much more clearance.)
  • luv2ride
    I've currently got 25mm Continental Grand Prix on and thought I still had a little space to go up to 28mm, but maybe that would be a little ambitious based on the comments above. I'll stick to 25's! cheers
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • i'm getting clicking from the shimano bb, might look at those Wheels Manufacturing ones, and a new crank too - the rotation is just too sticky after numerous attempts with this current bb.

The hope BB's seem overly expensive IMHO.
  • Even with 25mm GP4 Seasons it's tight. 28mm no chance.

I'm hoping to run 25mm GP4000S on RS80 wheels in the summer but still not sure if it will fit. Clearance under the rear brake bridge seems to be the main issue
  • tincaman
    Even with 25mm GP4 Seasons it's tight. 28mm no chance.

I'm hoping to run 25mm GP4000S on RS80 wheels in the summer but still not sure if it will fit. Clearance under the rear brake bridge seems to be the main issue

I ran Gp4000s in 25mm on RS80, they fit fine
  • tincaman
    Has anyone thought about or actually fitted a disc front fork to this frame?
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    a_to_the_j wrote:
    The hope BB's seem overly expensive IMHO.
    Especially as you need their special fitting tool as well!
  • i do not think a disc fork must match a bike frame that also is designed to take disc's - i know in reality you can fit a disc fork to any road bike given the correct fitting at the headset, i did wonder wonder if the disc based frames tubing, especially in the headset area is a little stronger to take the extra braking force, but i doubt it considering that there is effectively no extra braking force, your just getting the braking force sooner and in a different area of the fork,
    the laws of physics on the amount of force through the fork can never be any higher than the traction of the tyre on the surface being braked on.

(Grade C GCSE in physics here though :( )
  • itboffin
    Is anyone on here running SRAM groupset on their SL and if so did you have any problems with the BB fittings?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    Is anyone on here running SRAM groupset on their SL and if so did you have any problems with the BB fittings?

I was before it was destroyed. I seem to recall it needed a BB86.
  • luv2ride
    I've got SRAM Force on mine, bought a SRAM BB Adaptor (BB86?) from Westbrook's at the same time as the frame and they fitted it before shipping (swapped out the original press fit Shimano BB which they stuck in the box and I later sold on fleabay). Running GXP cranks. This:
    http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/sram-g ... -bb-p35276

In other CR1 SL news, I took mine out today due to the dry roads, but decided to run my winter wheels (Ksyrium Equipes) as they'd been salting last night. Wheels are currently wearing Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25''s, which come up more like 27mm and to my surprise they fit the frame (just!). About 1.5 mm between tyre and inside of chainstay each side. Too close?
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ah yes in that case then surely you won't be needing yours? :wink:
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ah yes in that case then surely you won't be needing yours? :wink:

If you can extract it in one piece you can have it. It has done 4000 miles so is probably done anyway.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Luv2ride wrote:
    In other CR1 SL news, I took mine out today due to the dry roads, but decided to run my winter wheels (Ksyrium Equipes) as they'd been salting last night. Wheels are currently wearing Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25''s, which come up more like 27mm and to my surprise they fit the frame (just!). About 1.5 mm between tyre and inside of chainstay each side. Too close?

That's good to hear; I'm considering the 25mm Michelins for mine since the Conti GP 4 Seasons are going up in price faster than my salary...
  • Although I can confirm that the GP4 Seasons 25mm fit very nicely on the CR1. I've been running them all winter.
  • same here , conti 25mm front & rear, great tyre - rear wear is a little quick though, and yes they maybe hand made in germany, but its reflected in the price...usually try and find an offer somewhere online....
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    How many torques are people using to tighten up the expander bolt in the fork......?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Have any of you suffered any paint discolouration or fading? I picked mine up from the LBS today having had a bottom bracket service and saw that it was peculiarly shiny. I didn't think too much about it, but when I got it home I spotted there were a few areas that have that kind of bronze colour that I've heard some matt black frames can suffer over time. I assume they've used an unsuitable cleaning product on it and I've got to say, I'm more than a little pee'd off, as it was 'as-new' when I dropped it off.
  • For toque settings on the carbon frame, i use these as a reference:
    "The scott manual gives these clamp settings: M4 2.8-3.9,M5 5.8-7.8,M6 9.8-13.7Nm "
    which can also be found on scott sites under USER MANUAL downloads somewhere, although these might be for later bikes the above i sourced from an old 2012 manual after digging the net
    if anyone has any other settings i'd be happy to hear about them , because with carbon, you can never be too sure!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Have any of you suffered any paint discolouration or fading? I picked mine up from the LBS today having had a bottom bracket service and saw that it was peculiarly shiny. I didn't think too much about it, but when I got it home I spotted there were a few areas that have that kind of bronze colour that I've heard some matt black frames can suffer over time. I assume they've used an unsuitable cleaning product on it and I've got to say, I'm more than a little pee'd off, as it was 'as-new' when I dropped it off.

Mine is still box fresh, but it doesn't go out if the weather's crap (I have another bike for the wet stuff). The bronze colour makes me wonder if they have used copperslip for something and got some on the frame? A little bit goes a long way in my experience and it's quite hard to get off. Try a bit of hot soapy water on an affected area, see what happens...