The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• Just a quick heads up to say I think I'm going to sell on the second CR1 SL frameset I recently bought. Head over to Road Parts for the details or drop me a PM.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Just a quick heads up to say I think I'm going to sell on the second CR1 SL frameset I recently bought. Head over to Road Parts for the details or drop me a PM.

Size?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Just a quick heads up to say I think I'm going to sell on the second CR1 SL frameset I recently bought. Head over to Road Parts for the details or drop me a PM.
    Balls, if I wasn't skint I'd snap that up...
    Do you accept IOUs or milk bottle tops? :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Funny enough I bought a 2012 CR1 Team HMF from here a couple weeks back as I wanted 2 exacting setups (bike fit wise).

Even the HMF is an awesome frameset. Buit it with 105 5700 gruppo, Ultegra 6700 wheelset and Ritchey Pro finishing kit. Just as good as the CR1 SL pro to be honest. Pics will follow.
  • It's a medium 54. All the bull can be found over in road parts.

I'm in no hurry to sell it, and I won't even mind if it never goes. I'll just build it into that super commuter I was originally planning. Just rode my built up one in and it's fantastic on these crappy British roads. :)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Well hello all,

I have now been on my 2 day Velotech cycle maintenance course down in Calshot, and once I have some DIY out of the way, and can stop my diningroom being a sawmill, I can then convert it into a bike workshop.

I have a CR1 SL, and a CR1 Contessa to build, and also my Felt which I am attempting to TT-ify - that may or may not be successful.

Please indulge me, as I am sure to be coming on here with dumbass questions - one that springs to mind is how to route the cables down the ummm downtube, to cross or not to cross them?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Daniel B wrote:
    Please indulge me, as I am sure to be coming on here with dumbass questions - one that springs to mind is how to route the cables down the ummm downtube, to cross or not to cross them?

I'm definitely an advocate of crossing the gear cables mainly because it looks neater and you can make the loops wide enough that they don't touch the head tube so no need for frame protectors. I have not yet moved to having the brakes switched to front on left, but it seems like the logical thing to do after crossing the gear cables.

You might also want to insert an in-line cable adjuster in the FD cable between the bars and the down tube cable stop. You can get away without one, but it's easier make fine adjustments to cable tension with one. I have had good luck with Shimano SM-CA70 ones. The RD doesn't need one (because there's a barrel adjuster on the RD), but you could add one for reasons of symmetry or making adjustments on the move.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited February 2014
    Daniel B wrote:
    Well hello all,

I have now been on my 2 day Velotech cycle maintenance course down in Calshot, and once I have some DIY out of the way, and can stop my diningroom being a sawmill, I can then convert it into a bike workshop.

I have a CR1 SL, and a CR1 Contessa to build, and also my Felt which I am attempting to TT-ify - that may or may not be successful.

Cheers

Dan

Ooooh, crossy crossy crossy crossy! :lol:
    P1000440_zps6e1d8c06.jpg

BTW, if anyone is regretting missing out on last years CR1 extravaganza, they can cheer themselves up with Westbrooks latest Scott based silliness and get a 2012 Scott Foil with 10 speed Ultegra Di2 for £1200! You have to find the wheels yourself but that is a lot of high quality plastic for your money. Slightly more choice and more uptodatedness with an 11 speed version for £200 more.

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... et-p237602
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Di2

That's all - carry on...

:wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rolf F wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Well hello all,

Cheers

Dan

Ooooh, crossy crossy crossy crossy! :lol:
    P1000440_zps6e1d8c06.jpg

BTW, if anyone is regretting missing out on last years CR1 extravaganza, they can cheer themselves up with Westbrooks latest Scott based silliness and get a 2012 Scott Foil with 10 speed Ultegra Di2 for £1200! You have to find the wheels yourself but that is a lot of high quality plastic for your money. Slightly more choice and more uptodatedness with an 11 speed version for £200 more.

rusty screw on the light mount and the brake cable exit is at an angle

shoddy very shoddy
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rolf F wrote:

It's a Foil 15 HMF though - not to be mistaken with the HMX.

That said - given that a 10sp Di2 groupset will generally cost you more that £900, that still a pretty cheap frame.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Took off my winter wheels today and refitted my RS80 with GP4000S 23c. Found that even though I had removed my SKS Raceblade along mudguards the metal fixing point was rubbing on the top of the tyre so I had to remove the front brake assembly to get it out, argh! Bags of clearance on the rear.
  • markhewitt1978
    BTW, I'm about to pull the trigger to buy some GP4000S in 25mm to replace my 23mm version which are wearing out, reassure me I'm making the right choice!
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    BTW, I'm about to pull the trigger to buy some GP4000S in 25mm to replace my 23mm version which are wearing out, reassure me I'm making the right choice!
    I haven't tried Contis but the 23mm Vittoria tyres I've got on don't give me any confidence to go to 25mm without potential rubbing.

Would be good to know if they work when you get them though :mrgreen:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My son's CR1 has 25C Vittorias on no problem. I've also had 25C Vittorias on my Foil as well as 25C GP4000Ss (on and off and on and off- due to all the punctures :roll: )
  • markhewitt1978
    Argh, now I'm confused again and thinking of just ordering some 23mm since they've worked well for 1,500 miles.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Argh, now I'm confused again and thinking of just ordering some 23mm since they've worked well for 1,500 miles.

I'm pretty sure there a few people on this thread who have put 25mm GP4000Ss on their CR1s. I've just bought some and have them waiting to be put on. I have every faith they'll fit.
  • markhewitt1978
    I suppose I could buy one, put it on the back and see how it goes; then if it doesn't fit I could use it on the front.

More worried about the edge case of it appearing to fit, but then rubbing when I'm riding it and causing damage to the (irreplaceable) frame!
  • meanredspider
    I suppose I could buy one, put it on the back and see how it goes; then if it doesn't fit I could use it on the front.

More worried about the edge case of it appearing to fit, but then rubbing when I'm riding it and causing damage to the (irreplaceable) frame!

I'm certain they'll fit - why do you have doubts?
  • markhewitt1978
    As the 23mm (they are actually 24mm really) are already a close fit.
  • meanredspider
    How close? Only 1mm either side? As I say, my boy's CR1 is running Rubino Pros in 25C and my Foil has run 25C GP4000S. I'd be stunned if they didn't fit.
  • markhewitt1978
    10576905654_e606b8d28f_b.jpg

No I haven't actually measured it. Here's a pic I took a while back, apologies for the very poor quality!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've successfully run 25mm GP4 seasons and 25mm Rubinos on my CR1-SL. Never actually measured the inflated tyres, but there's adequate clearance at both ends.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    I ran 25mm GP4000S all summer with no problems, its a tight fit but they dont rub, no room for mudguards though
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I ran 25cc Duranos on mine, and it was very close, a mm on either side at the rear.

No way to fit mudguards, so its been relegated to the loft and probably a for sale board in the near future.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I tried my winter wheels on the CR1 SL at the weekend (Ksyrium Equipe with Michelin Pro 4 Endurance in 25mm). My cheap plastic (!) vernier callipers measured the widest point of the tyre at 27mm, and there was a few mm clearance either side of the tyre between the chain stays...

I really wanted to go for the PX CT45 carbon clinchers, but reckon the wider rim may mean I won't be able to use my 25mm tyres :?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Does the rim width make much of a difference? I have 23mm Archetypes on my SL. 23mm tyres leave a couple of mm either side for me.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Yes. I have the same wheels. Running 23mm grand prixs. Had 25mm gp4000s on and it was a little too close the rear for me. There was still clearance though only a few mm.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Running 24mm I had rubbing at the rear. This was due to cheap Ti skewers. Swapped for Shimanos and no problems but christ not lot of clearance at the chainstays.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Do you guys reckon Reynolds Assault SLG's will fit? They are 25mm wide....thinking with 23mm (ie 24) GP4000S's.
    My DA9000 C24's with 25mm Vittoria Open Paves or when i have the GP Force 24mm on seem to have plenty of room.

This person/shop has them on the CR1, assume the geometry and width at the chainstays will be same no matter what CR1 it is? (i have a CR1 SL).
    Cheers, Stu