The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ^Fair enough. I do find it a bit odd how many people have bought a £500 frame and then fitted mudguards to it though - just because it was a relative bargain does not make it a year round bike. Buy yourself a super cheap Ribble Audax or similar for the crap days!

Do you? It isn't so hard. I bought mine as a future replacement for my Ribble Gran Fondo - which I use all year round for commuting as well as weekend rides. I'll bloody well fit mudguards to it or die trying. I'm used to tight clearance on Cruds as I can only squeeze them on my Ribble with 23mm tyres. As long as the Scott isn't any worse, it will be fine. I see no need for 25mm tyres so the 23s are no problem. As for the Ribble Audax - the geometry doesn't work for me so please don't tell me to buy one. :wink:

Basically, the CR1 is a bike. And ultimately, a bike is a bike is a bike. Therefore it is pretty much as good all year round as any other bike as long as you make it so. It might just need a bit more effort to get there.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I'm using crudracers with 23mm GP4000s and clearance is good. I have a tip though that will help the front guard from sitting on top of the wheel.
    With the guard assembled put the only cable tie in then put something to sit between the top of the caliper and washer, probably needs to be between 3-5mm thick, then tighten up the tie. I've tightened mine to sit just slightly back towards frame from the middle distance between frame and back of caliper. I've used a piece of form type stuff used for packing, but old handlebar tape cut up or like will work. By doing this the front tip/section of the guard sits closer to the wheel, and the arch, where I found rubbed the most, sits nicely away from the tyre.
  • Rolf F wrote:

Basically, the CR1 is a bike. And ultimately, a bike is a bike is a bike. Therefore it is pretty much as good all year round as any other bike as long as you make it so. It might just need a bit more effort to get there.

Live and let live and all that. :mrgreen:
  • I'd still like to see some pictures of someone who's using a 6800 Ultegra chainset on an otherwise 10 speed setup.

I'd like to change my cheapo R565 chainset early next year - 6700 10 speed Ultegra would work but I'd rather have the 6800 one, which is supposedly 11 speed but I'm told that doesn't matter for chainsets?

I wonder if I'd have to change the BB too? I'm using the one that came with the CR1 Pro.
  • Just give Westbrook a ring sure they would have the answers especially as they built my CR1 SL up just a couple of weeks ago with the new 6800 group
  • Good idea, I might do that or pop in.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    tincaman wrote:
    I don't find a problem riding the good bike in the winter, as long as you religously clean it well as soon as you get home after a wet ride, even half a day being left is doing damage.

My CR1 has Ultegra groupset, I have just bought a complete 2013 Sora groupset to go on for the winter along with Raceblade longs. The wheels are coming to end of life so they can stay on there

Well here is the winter spec, with wellies on as well

Ultegra gruppo taken off, 2013 Sora 9 speed fitted
    Clarks triple compound pads
    11-30 9 speed cassette.
    The old handlebars have been taken off complete with shifters installed to make it easier to reinstall next year.
    For the winter tyres I am using Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp, 23c
    Raceblade Long mudguards with a piece of Crud Roadracer fitted down by the front mech for extra coverage
    2013-11-17%2009.46.32.jpg
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    PORTLAND DESIGN WORKS FULL METAL FENDERS SET
    Designed for bikes with 700x23 tires

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Portland-Design ... wwodznIAZQ
  • Managed to get SKS full length mudguards to fit (albeit with the rear shortened by the seat tube) with inner tube/zip tie combinations as there are no braze ons and an M5 rubber well nut to fit the front one to the brake hole at the rear of the fork (see bottom of here: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68839). 23mm GP 4Seasons tyres don't rub and I have no rattling at present.

Means I can ride the Scott all winter, yay!
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the only one who had mixed up headset bearings when the frames were sent out from Westbrooks in the summer. If, like me, you were sent a full replacement FSA headset, you may well still have the original Ritchey bits lying around..?. Reason I ask is that I've just finished building a Speedster S55 but the headset on it is pants so want to replace it; I just need one 41 x 30.15 Ritchey bearing. I can order a pair direct from Ritchey but the cost is ridiculous - anyone got one they'd like to swop for a few beer tokens?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Dumbass question, can someone please confirm these CR1 frames take a 31.6mm seatpost?

Guess what size I bought..... :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I can confirm they do indeed require a 31.6mm seatpost
  • daniel_b
    keef66 wrote:
    I can confirm they do indeed require a 31.6mm seatpost

Thankyou! :oops:

Don't feel quite such a fool now, recall I bought the FSA for the Felt before I landed an aero seatpost for that - I have double checked, and can see the one I bought for the Contessa Pro is a 31.6, so not 2 new ones needed!

My FSA I will probably sell in that case, just ordered an inline version of one of these:
    ritchey-wcs-carbon-seatpost.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Just wanting to publicly recant what I said about people being silly buying the CR1 for commuting duties. My commuter bike's been out if action for a little while and so I've been riding the Scott in and out. I wish I'd bought a second frame now :(
  • I know a few people upthread have said they are running 25mm tyres on the Scott CR1 frame. However is anyone specifically running 25mm GP4000S ? I ask because I know the GP4000S run large, and that my current 23c tyres are actually closer to 24mm real size.

I'd quite like to try 25c this year, once I go back to my summer wheels.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know a few people upthread have said they are running 25mm tyres on the Scott CR1 frame. However is anyone specifically running 25mm GP4000S ? I ask because I know the GP4000S run large, and that my current 23c tyres are actually closer to 24mm real size.

Not GP4000S but I run 25mm GP 4 Seasons and also some cheapo 25mm Rubinos on mine with plenty of clearance. I only need to inflate them to 70 psi front / 80 psi rear though; don't know if higher pressures produce a significantly fatter tyre..
  • Thanks, however I also have GP4 Seasons in my winter setup, and subjectively at least the 23mm GP4Seasons look narrower than the GP4000S in 23mm, the main difference beting that the GP4000S rub on the mudguards but the GP4Seasons don't.

So I would suspect therefore that the GP4000S in 25mm would also be wider than the GP4Seasons.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    I know a few people upthread have said they are running 25mm tyres on the Scott CR1 frame. However is anyone specifically running 25mm GP4000S ? I ask because I know the GP4000S run large, and that my current 23c tyres are actually closer to 24mm real size.

Yes, ran these all summer, on a set of RS80's the clearance is very tight but they never did rub on the frame, a more flexy wheel might be a problem, although you would only lose a bit of paint
  • Fantastic this is what I was looking to find out. Just so happens I'm running RS80 too :D
  • So would be great to see some updated photo's of the CR1 SL's especially in size 58cm. I've Still got my frame in the box untouched and need some inspiration!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mines hanging on the wall in the garage immaculately clean and wearing its autumn wheelset, ie cheap Shimano RS10s with as yet unridden rubino pro tyres.

My gift to the bike after a successful Marmotte and loads of really bad weather rides without a single mechanical issue.

Sadly my previous best bike Ribble carbon sportive is now my everyday any weather clean it when i have to bike.

but back to you point, yes time for a few more photos I think
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    So would be great to see some updated photo's of the CR1 SL's especially in size 58cm. I've Still got my frame in the box untouched and need some inspiration!

Hurrah, not only me with a boxed frame!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    image_zps3de88a58.jpg
  • avababy24 wrote:
    image_zps3de88a58.jpg

Very nice, is this a XL? If so how tall are you??
  • daniel_b
    avababy24 wrote:
    image_zps3de88a58.jpg

Is that 6800 Ultegra I spy?
    Any issues of compatibility with the bottom bracket or straight forward?
    How do you find the groupset?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Daniel B wrote:
    So would be great to see some updated photo's of the CR1 SL's especially in size 58cm. I've Still got my frame in the box untouched and need some inspiration!

Hurrah, not only me with a boxed frame!

+1. Awaiting funds...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Mine's hanging in my outhouse in need of a clean. I'm really not enjoying my commuter after riding the CR1, so I sincerely hope there's a similar offer on the 2013 frames this year. That way I can own a pair :)
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    avababy24 wrote:
    Managed to get out on it this morning round North Yorks and although still quite windy it was at least dry. The Ultegra 6800 works really well. Very positive and responsive to whatever is asked of it. Found it smooth enough in most gears I think it needs a little tweak in a couple of gears but I also find that with my winter equipped Centaur bike so maybe it's just the way it is?
    The hoods are a little square compared to the Campag ones and I like the small button on the centaur for gear changing. It's horses for courses really having both systems I'd be happy with either. Went with the Ultegra on the scott has I just thought the crankset kind of suited that style of frame and fancied just trying it out too as it was new.
    Hardest thing I found on my ride today was breaking in the Fizik R3's and speedplay pedals. High arch on the R3 soon beds downs ok and think I have to much rear float dialled into the cleats so will change that on my next ride. The saddle needs changing to its a temp free one I was given but found I slid a lot on it for some reason so I'm thinking about a Prologo scratch from ribble.
    But the bike is a quick machine in the right hands and does look the dogs and all built on a shoestring bits purchased as and when. Think the total cost is around £1700 all in which I don't think is too bad imho.

Nige

Previous post ref the 6800 and it's a 54"
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I posted a photo of mine which is 58cm... The photo is a few pages back, posted it at the end of Aug I think
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm loving my Foil BTW - more comfortable than I was expecting over long distances.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH