The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• Which guards do you recommend then for the CR1? The crudracers or the raceblade longs?

Went for a ride in the rain yesterday without guards, not pleasant :(
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    guess it depends what you are riding with.

I have 25s on mine and got the raceblades. Which are OK but I cant use it over winter it just breaks my heart, so am back on the mtb.

If you are running 23s then you can probably get away with the cruds, although I would get the raceblade longs as I think they fit better. Another option is PDW ones which are very nice and cost a bit more.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Does anyone run GP4000S in 25c on the CR1 SL/Pro frame?
    My rims are ~19mm wide DA9000 C24.

I'm running a GP Force 24c rear which has plenty of room but heard the 25c in GP4000S is quite big really.
    Cheers, Stu
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I had 25's gp4000s on when I built with 23mm wide rims, clearance was only a few mm and too close not to worry about rubbing the frame. I have switched to 23mm conti grand prix now.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Aye read the GP4000S 25c on a 23mm rim is tight hence i was wondering if anyone uses them on a more standard size rim.
    Cheers, Stu
  • I've ordered some SKS Raceblade Longs which I'll be fitting this weekend if the roads are still looking wet (so chances are close to 100% ;)), once I do I'll post some pics here.

I'm wondering how long I can get away with running my RS80's before I should swap them out for my 'winter' wheels (which are just the stock wheels I got with my Trek).
  • frazered wrote:
    chrisw1976 wrote:
    frazered wrote:
    looks great, I like the green accents.

I have just gotten round to building my CR1, her she is with new ultegra 6800 11 speed and Zipp bars, stem and tape, Easton carbon seatpost and fizik Antares saddle.

8FTh314.jpg

issue with conti gp4000s 25mm on the back with the archetype 23mm rims. Very little clearance so I have swapped to 23mm grand prix black chilli that the LBS had in stock. still got 25mm on the front for now

OCD note: bike fit next week, so steerer and spacers will be significantly reduced!

Great build, was the LBS you mentioned situated very close to a certain rugby league ground by any chance? If so I took a look at your bike when it was being put together in the workshop (Rick was trying to push me from Ultegra 6700 to the new 6800 groupset at the time).

Do you mind me asking if you had the choice of colours with your groupset? The same LBS will be building mine and as 6700 is now out of stock, I'm looking towards 6800 but have only been offered it in silver, whereas I'd prefer the black or charcoal finish like yours.

Hey Chris. I got the groupset from merlin I chose the [url=colourhttp://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/groupsets-road-bike/shimano-ultegra-6800-groupset.html]colourhttp://www.merlincycles.com/bike- ... upset.html[/url] The rest from various other places. Now have a fizik aliante after bike fit with rick. Pleased with it so far. Got the steerer cut as well.

Thinking of some new bars as the zipps are very deep and not so compact.

updated pic

IMG_0720_zpsb47502aa.jpg

Hi, looks great! Had my bike fit today with Rick and took the bike home, mega pleased with it so far but not managed a ride yet (should have taken the day off work really!). The 6800 groupset looks the bomb on this frame. Really impressed with the fit process too, never had one done before.

I'm on a fizik test saddle at the moment pending plenty of hours to get used to my position, and next year will see upgrades to the cheapo bars, stem and seatpost that are there at the moment purely to complete the build and get the bike rideable. So glad I pulled the trigger on the frame while it was available at this price.

Thanks for the reply - I'll stick a picture up when the weather improves a bit.
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    image_zps3c9d0a90.jpg

Picked up Monday night hence the poor pic.

Ultegra 6800 groupset
    50mm Gigantex Tubs
    Primato hubs
    3T Ltd Ergosum Bars
    3T Dorico Post black series
    3T Arx Team stem black series
    Speedplay pedals
    Lizard skins tape
    Syncros freebie saddle

All built on a shoestring buying items as and when I could afford it. Just hoping the weather holds for this weekend.

Regards

Nige
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    @avababy24 that looks nice, I'm sure it's the second one I've seen today... Déjà vous all over again ;-)
  • frazered wrote:
    I had 25's gp4000s on when I built with 23mm wide rims, clearance was only a few mm and too close not to worry about rubbing the frame. I have switched to 23mm conti grand prix now.

Seeing the issues now with getting a full on road frame and no other bike - wanting to fit some 28mm tyres for winter running, but I don't think I can :(, which is a shame as I have a set of them in the shed!
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    avababy24 wrote:
    image_zps3c9d0a90.jpg

Picked up Monday night hence the poor pic.

Ultegra 6800 groupset
    50mm Gigantex Tubs
    Primato hubs
    3T Ltd Ergosum Bars
    3T Dorico Post black series
    3T Arx Team stem black series
    Speedplay pedals
    Lizard skins tape
    Syncros freebie saddle

All built on a shoestring buying items as and when I could afford it. Just hoping the weather holds for this weekend.

Regards

Nige

I'd be interested to hear how the new 6800 groupo performs.
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    Yes so do I, fingers crossed for the weather this weekend.
    Daylight pic from today

image_zps3de88a58.jpg
  • Fitted SKS raceblade long and while they went on ok clearance is tight perhaps only 1mm in places if not actually rubbing the top of the tyre :(

This is with 23s no chance for 25s

Beginning the realise the drawbacks of the CR1 frame. Good in the summer but not good for winter or wet conditions.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Fitted SKS raceblade long and while they went on ok clearance is tight perhaps only 1mm in places if not actually rubbing the top of the tyre :(

This is with 23s no chance for 25s

Beginning the realise the drawbacks of the CR1 frame. Good in the summer but not good for winter or wet conditions.
    Yes, it's not really designed as an all purpose commute/road/shopper.... Shoulda got a hybrid! Or better yet just get a winter bike - n+1....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep defo not a winter bike imo as most of you now know clearance is an issue, that said almost everytime i go out on mine it bloody rains :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I'm actually quite surprised how many people assumed the CR1 would be a great all-weather bike. What about one of those seatpost mounted mudguards and a touch of MTFU?
  • Headhuunter
    itboffin wrote:
    Yep defo not a winter bike imo as most of you now know clearance is an issue, that said almost everytime i go out on mine it bloody rains :twisted:
    I'm not really bothered about having guards/winter set up anyway, bit of road/mud spray on the face is good for your complexion....
  • I'm actually quite surprised how many people assumed the CR1 would be a great all-weather bike. What about one of those seatpost mounted mudguards and a touch of MTFU?

I'm not sure why you felt that comment was necessary? Especially since I said that I had fitted mudguards.
  • ^Fair enough. I do find it a bit odd how many people have bought a £500 frame and then fitted mudguards to it though - just because it was a relative bargain does not make it a year round bike. Buy yourself a super cheap Ribble Audax or similar for the crap days!
  • Is there anything on the frame which is going to die by doing a once a week ride during the winter?

I have winter wheels and I don't really care massively about the groupset.

I'm not sure why you felt that comment was necessary? Especially since I said that I had fitted mudguards.

Not really a reference to you so apologies if it looked that way. It was those people way back when in the thread who we're buying the frame to build into a year round commuter.

Not really a reference to you so apologies if it looked that way. It was those people way back when in the thread who we're buying the frame to build into a year round commuter.

Ah sure. I certainly wouldn't contemplate commuting on it. Even in the summer.

In the winter it's a once a week group ride basically.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    I don't find a problem riding the good bike in the winter, as long as you religously clean it well as soon as you get home after a wet ride, even half a day being left is doing damage.

My CR1 has Ultegra groupset, I have just bought a complete 2013 Sora groupset to go on for the winter along with Raceblade longs. The wheels are coming to end of life so they can stay on there
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    tincaman wrote:
    I don't find a problem riding the good bike in the winter, as long as you religously clean it well as soon as you get home after a wet ride, even half a day being left is doing damage.

My CR1 has Ultegra groupset, I have just bought a complete 2013 Sora groupset to go on for the winter along with Raceblade longs. The wheels are coming to end of life so they can stay on there

So you are going to swap the entire groupset over twice a year?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Headhuunter
    Daniel B wrote:
    tincaman wrote:

especially the wheel bearings and chain.... Worth re packing the wheels at the start of winter... Otherwise I've had no prob riding my focus Cayo all winter
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Daniel B wrote:
    tincaman wrote:

Yes, and I wil enjoy it too
  • Headhuunter
    tincaman wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    tincaman wrote:

I wish someone would enjoy doing that sort of thing on my bikes... I hate the whole engineering side of cycling, I just like getting out there on the open road...
  • hehe, I love researching it and deciding what needs to be done. Then when it comes to the work I'm always ARGH WHY DOESN'T THIS WORK / FIT / ARRRGH
  • Managed to get out on it this morning round North Yorks and although still quite windy it was at least dry. The Ultegra 6800 works really well. Very positive and responsive to whatever is asked of it. Found it smooth enough in most gears I think it needs a little tweak in a couple of gears but I also find that with my winter equipped Centaur bike so maybe it's just the way it is?
    The hoods are a little square compared to the Campag ones and I like the small button on the centaur for gear changing. It's horses for courses really having both systems I'd be happy with either. Went with the Ultegra on the scott has I just thought the crankset kind of suited that style of frame and fancied just trying it out too as it was new.
    Hardest thing I found on my ride today was breaking in the Fizik R3's and speedplay pedals. High arch on the R3 soon beds downs ok and think I have to much rear float dialled into the cleats so will change that on my next ride. The saddle needs changing to its a temp free one I was given but found I slid a lot on it for some reason so I'm thinking about a Prologo scratch from ribble.
    But the bike is a quick machine in the right hands and does look the dogs and all built on a shoestring bits purchased as and when. Think the total cost is around £1700 all in which I don't think is too bad imho.

Nige
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    tincaman wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    tincaman wrote:

Spoken like a REAL man 8)

Chapeau!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.