The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• jds_1981 wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    The fail is strong in this thread. What happened to slamming your stems? :P

PS, I'd be willing to take a 54 cm frame off anyones hand, purchase price minus a bit for wear & tear ;)

:lol:
  • I think I may have made a mistake dropping down a size on the bars with this build too.

This would certainly cause hunching shoulders and pain. Too wide is OK, but a little un-aero, too narrow can cause quite a lot of shoulder pain.

Cheers!
  • Getting there slowly, still need lots of new bits!!!

Should be ready for spring!

al

9733715053_46f44b1fb4_b.jpg
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    I've got a 130 slammed onto the headset if that evens things out?
  • jds_1981 wrote:

That's soooooo 2011. 2013 is the year of the spacer.
  • Origamist wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

That's soooooo 2011. 2013 is the year of the spacerS.
    :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mine heading back out into the rain and wind tomorrow :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Sure as eggs is eggs windy and wet it was, only 18 miles but that's enough for me today.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    Sure as eggs is eggs windy and wet it was, only 18 miles but that's enough for me today.

Well done anyway! I got my weekends riding in yesterday.

On CR1 news, I have to take my bent Dawes frame to a builder for a (pointless) repair estimate - so I might bring the CR1 in at the same time and get a quote for a gloss lacquer finish on it. I'm accumulating a dangerously close to complete set of bike parts so it may actually get built one day......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf f, be interested in your lacquer job/qote, I reckon it would really finish the frame off nicely

Al
  • itboffin
    I have to admitted i was a bit concerned by the matt seemingly rough finish to the CR1 but after a few miles, rain and washdowns it feels smoother and looks very good, i'd personally not change it well not at least until i'd ridden it.

I would also say check your headset bearings before 2000-2500 miles especially if you ride in the wet as i've done, the seal on that headset isn't the best.

I've just removed cleaned and repacked mine with a top quality grease but will remember to check it more frequently in the future.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    ITB, what with all my headset issues and fettling i'm wondering what torque settings you've been using as a rule of thumb on your steerer bung, stem bolts and top cap? I've been using 4.5nm which seems to do the trick.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited September 2013
    My Ksyrium Elites ordered from Germany on Thursday, arrived today, how mental is that?

That's the last part I required, so I just need to find some time to actually start the build now, no other excuses remaining....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Koncordski wrote:
    ITB, what with all my headset issues and fettling i'm wondering what torque settings you've been using as a rule of thumb on your steerer bung, stem bolts and top cap? I've been using 4.5nm which seems to do the trick.

Nope steerer bung is alway hand tight as hard as possible then backed off a bit, the 3T stem is 4NM

Although after 10 miles today my fresh good grease had settled in so I had to stop and adjust a tiny bit of play, after that all good.

I'm really tempted now to just repack the bearings on all my bikes, this phil wood stuff is the business, well worth the extra money.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    alans220 wrote:
    Rolf f, be interested in your lacquer job/qote, I reckon it would really finish the frame off nicely

Al

May well find out about this sooner than expected as I have to take my ruined Dawes frame for a quote for a rebuild for insurance - so at the same time I can find out if they'd lacquer the Scott.
    itboffin wrote:
    I have to admitted i was a bit concerned by the matt seemingly rough finish to the CR1 but after a few miles, rain and washdowns it feels smoother and looks very good, i'd personally not change it well not at least until i'd ridden it.

I had a chance to look at a well used CR1 SL in the French Alps - one of our group hired one. It was a bit grubby but the muck did seem to come off - albeit less easily than it would off a gloss frame. But it's not just about that. The finish does mark easily and you can't polish the marks off without polishing off the matt finish. The hire bike had noticeably shiny sides to the top tube where riders legs had rubbed against it. Whilst with care, it may take a while for this sort of effect to occur, on a bike that is destined for many miles, I can't imagine it not happening.

I think if you have already built one up, there is no harm in using it as is - chances are a lacquer coat in future would have it almost looking like new. But I don't think I could be bothered to not do it before building up the bike. And I reckon it will look much nicer for it. I don't find the matt finish exactly looks very desirable!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    Tart
  • Took mine out again yesterday for the first time in a while due to the crappy weather and absolutely loved it. It's such a great frame I'm determined to make it work for me and I actually felt pretty comfortable throughout. I had a good think about what I was doing with my shoulders to cause all the tension and adjusted my position on the bike to keep them relaxed, which so far seems to be working (I'd kind of hoped my recent bike fit might have helped with that, but meh).

I've been paying attention to a thread elsewhere that talks about bike weight having little effect on performance and if that really is the case then the CR1 is even more incredible. The acceleration is ridiculous and cruising speed a good 2mph faster for similar effort put in on my Equilibrium. I don't think I can really attribute that to the wheels either, as the Zondas on my CR1 aren't going to be much better than the hand built Open Pros on my Equilibrium. Funnily enough, I've yet to beat any uphill PBs on the CR1, despite it being about 3kgs lighter, but then perhaps the rider is now 3kgs heavier.

Like ITB, I'd never have even considered a Scott before this deal, but so glad I went for it.
  • My 80cm stem arrived today - reduced from 100cm :)
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Shamone wrote:
    My 80cm stem arrived today - reduced from 100cm :)

Yeah, i'm getting the feeling this is what i need to do.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Is anyone having trouble with their Force rear derailleur? I've got an issue where the chain hops off the lower jockey wheel on the large ring and the top two (maybe three) sprockets (I know it's cross chaining but it should still work)

When I say jumps off I mean one side of the chain rides on top of the jockey teeth instead of inside the teeth and makes a lovely clicking noise. Pedalling backwards moves it back into position where it should be.

This also happens even in the middle of the cassette if I ride over a bump that makes the chain jump a bit.

Full Sram Force set up. Rival on my other bike is perfect.

Indexing is spot on by the way.

I'll try adding some photos later.
  • Been riding my Pro frame for several months now and 900 miles, still love it :)
  • Been riding my Pro frame for several months now and 900 miles, still love it :)

Is this also your all season commuter?
  • I don't commute by bike, so no. I know this is the commuter forum but ;)
  • Somewhat dubious conditions this morning, returned home to find my backside covered in dirt :D

So I think mudguards are something I'm going to have to invest in, what's everyone else using for the CR1?
  • Somewhat dubious conditions this morning, returned home to find my backside covered in dirt :D

So I think mudguards are something I'm going to have to invest in, what's everyone else using for the CR1?
    Is there clearance for any half decent guards?

Ass-saver
    http://ass-savers.com/
  • They look terrible.
  • cruds just fit, the only other option would be the clip on race blades but the don't protect as much as the cruds
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • cruds just fit, the only other option would be the clip on race blades but the don't protect as much as the cruds
    Agreed, but they are faaar less fiddly to install. Actually installing them is a breeze - even easier than full time Bluemels guards that I've just replaced the race blades with on the commuter.
  • Has anyone tried the Giant Defy mudguards, they look a bit more substantial than the Race Blades or Cruds? I'm thinking about fitting something to the CR1 for the winter and these might be just the job.