The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    OK let's see if I can successfully upload a photo....

20130825_153641.jpg

Hurrah it worked! OK, this is the 1st photo of my completed Scott CR1 SL... Still a bit of a work in progress, need to sort out the seat height and spacers etc but it weighs in at 7.2kg:

Groupset - full SRAM Red apart from the BB
    Chainset - 52/39 and I think 11-25 on the rear with 172.5 crank arms (again I think...)
    Wheels - Fulcrum Racing 1s
    Pedals - Some kind of cheapie Look Keos
    Bottle Cage - Tacx aluminium job
    Bars - 3T something... Sorry should have written it all down!
    Seat - ISM Adamo Peleton, probably won't keep this on it...

Sorry about the yellow bar tape, that was just what was on them when I bought them 2nd had with the groupset...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536

20130825_153641.jpg

Hurrah it worked! OK, this is the 1st photo of my completed Scott CR1 SL... Still a bit of a work in progress, need to sort out the seat height and spacers etc but it weighs in at 7.2kg:

Groupset - full SRAM Red apart from the BB
    Chainset - 52/39 and I think 11-25 on the rear with 172.5 crank arms (again I think...)
    Wheels - Fulcrum Racing 1s
    Pedals - Some kind of cheapie Look Keos
    Bottle Cage - Tacx aluminium job
    Bars - 3T something... Sorry should have written it all down!
    Seat - ISM Adamo peloton, probably won't keep this on it...

Sorry about the yellow bar tape, that was just what was on them when I bought them 2nd had with the groupset...
    At least SMIDSY doesn't apply here!
  • After reading the column from Angry Asian on press fit BBs can I ask those who have retained their BB91s and having been riding the CR1 SL whether they have encountered any creaking?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

20130825_153641.jpg

Nice!

Have you cut down your steerer at all, or is that to come later?
    That looks like more than 40mm of spacers under the stem.......?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    raymondliu wrote:
    After reading the column from Angry Asian on press fit BBs can I ask those who have retained their BB91s and having been riding the CR1 SL whether they have encountered any creaking?

LOL see my post a few posts up....

EDIT
    It actually seems it might be getting better/disappeared but the jury is still out until i can try a steeper incline.

What would be an alternative fit that would fit the Scott frame?
    Cheers, Stu
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

I was going to say it was nice until I saw that saddle which made me feel physically sick. The yellow tape does at least draw your eye away from it :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Headhuunter
    Daniel B wrote:

20130825_153641.jpg

Nice!

Have you cut down your steerer at all, or is that to come later?
    That looks like more than 40mm of spacers under the stem.......?
    No I haven't actually cut the steerer at all yet, need to bring that down and get it all set up properly. The bike is currently at my parents'place, will be in London with me next week
  • Headhuunter

I was going to say it was nice until I saw that saddle which made me feel physically sick. The yellow tape does at least draw your eye away from it :wink:
    Yeah those saddles can be a bit ugly, I was just trying it out...
  • patrickf
    samsbike wrote:
    patrickf wrote:
    I had a quick peep through the FD cable hole the other day (still haven't built mine up) and didn't think it opened up into the BB area.

That said, there is another hole just above it on the seat tube. Any idea what this is for and could this be the cause of the water ingress?

I thought there were only 2 holes where the FD cable went through the bottom and out through the top.
    Here's the photo. Hole at the bottom is for the FD cable. What's the hole in the seat tube? Could this be where water is getting in?
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Not sure if it was a lot earlier in this thread or elsewhere, but I definitely remember someone suggesting that a seemingly random hole in a frame might be a blow-hole (for want of a better word) to let air out during the moulding process... but that might just be a load of old cobblers :lol:
  • patrickf
    Was wondering as much. Should be safe to bung up then.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

It better be comfy with looks like that!
  • Seat - ISM Adamo peloton, probably won't keep this on it...

Adamo saddles really aren't pretty, but I guess good looks aren't what they're about. You don't see their weirdness when you're riding. I tried one for a while, but I didn't really enjoy it.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    My CR1 SL is awesome to ride! :D

that is all
  • Headhuunter

Adamo saddles really aren't pretty, but I guess good looks aren't what they're about. You don't see their weirdness when you're riding. I tried one for a while, but I didn't really enjoy it.

I've tried a couple of them now, the Peleton is not as comfortable as the Prologue IMO but otherwise they're pretty good...
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Is anyone winterizing their bikes for winter? I am wondering if I should just have the n road bike, rather than n+1 road bikes.
  • samsbike wrote:
    Is anyone winterizing their bikes for winter? I am wondering if I should just have the n road bike, rather than n+1 road bikes.

I'd be interested to hear what people are doing as I don't have the space or the funds for a second bike. And the CR1 isn't exactly generous with tyre clearance so I can't go and put on 38c ice tyres.

The most I might do is put on my old wheels + cassette to keep the salt off my nice new RS80's, other than that just ride when I can and accept that I'm going to have to fit a new chain come the spring.

What else would be vulnerable? The frame shouldn't be as it's basically plastic!

It's funny that most bike forums I look at people are talking about winter, when we should at least have 2 more months left ;)
  • Headhuunter
    samsbike wrote:

I'd be interested to hear what people are doing as I don't have the space or the funds for a second bike. And the CR1 isn't exactly generous with tyre clearance so I can't go and put on 38c ice tyres.

The most I might do is put on my old wheels + cassette to keep the salt off my nice new RS80's, other than that just ride when I can and accept that I'm going to have to fit a new chain come the spring.

What else would be vulnerable? The frame shouldn't be as it's basically plastic!

It's funny that most bike forums I look at people are talking about winter, when we should at least have 2 more months left ;)
    Careful with the RS80s, I have ridden mine through a few winters and water and salt has got into the bearings and now the cones are pitted. Make sure you regrease them heavily before winter to protect them...
  • Careful with the RS80s, I have ridden mine through a few winters and water and salt has got into the bearings and now the cones are pitted. Make sure you regrease them heavily before winter to protect them...

Interesting. Which kind of reinforces my idea of running my old wheels in winter.
  • patrickf
    samsbike wrote:

Winter weather isn't kind to bearings. That means bottom bracket and headset bearings are likely to need replacing depending on the weather you ride in.

Also keep an eye on cables and keep derailleurs lubed.
  • Headhuunter
    Careful with the RS80s, I have ridden mine through a few winters and water and salt has got into the bearings and now the cones are pitted. Make sure you regrease them heavily before winter to protect them...

Interesting. Which kind of reinforces my idea of running my old wheels in winter.

Yes, components get hit hard in the winter... It's not so much the rain/water it's the salt and grime on the roads. Salt corrodes and the grit and gime gets flicked onto the chain, mechs, brakes etc....
  • My LBS mentioned last time I was in that they did a 'bearing service', where they strip it all down, and re grease etc, perhaps that will be a good idea come Spring.

I can start to understand why people have winter bikes...
  • 9611944519_48d47f2115_c.jpg

Chorus 50/34 172.5mm Chainset
    Record Chain
    Chorus Shifters
    Chorus 12-27 Cassette
    Chorus Dual Pivot Brakes
    Record Front Mech
    Chorus Rear Mech
    Record 86 BB Cups
    Campag Cables

JRA Handbuilt Wheels - Pacenti SL23 rims, Hope Pro III hubs
    Planet X Ti Skewers
    Continental Grand Prix 4000s 23mm Tyres
    Vittoria Latex Inner Tubes

3T Doric Ltd Inline Seatpost
    3T ARX Ltd Stem 120mm
    3T Ltd Handlebar 42cm 31.8
    Planet-X Superlight Seatpost Clamp 34.9mm
    Fizik Aliante Carbon Braided Saddle
    Fizik Bar Tape
    Elite Custom Race Stealth Bottle Cages
    Ultegra Carbon Pedals

Garmin cadence sensor and Token chain catcher still to be added.

Total weight circa 7kg
  • patrickf
    My LBS mentioned last time I was in that they did a 'bearing service', where they strip it all down, and re grease etc, perhaps that will be a good idea come Spring.

That's if they last through til Spring...
  • patrickf wrote:
    My LBS mentioned last time I was in that they did a 'bearing service', where they strip it all down, and re grease etc, perhaps that will be a good idea come Spring.

Hmm, that bad? I rode my hybrid all through last winter but it was written off by a car before Spring arrived.
  • patrickf
    patrickf wrote:

Hmm, that bad? I rode my hybrid all through last winter but it was written off by a car before Spring arrived.
    It all depends on how much you ride, how bad the weather is, and how clean you keep the bike. Ideally you need to at least hose down and dry the bike after every ride. Not easy when you have to do that outside, it's dark, and it's chucking it down.

I rode a lot last winter and the amount of salt on the roads was a joke. I managed to write off my wheels in less than a year (bearings and rims) and that was a couple of months before Spring. Funnily enough the wheels are still sat in my shed and the rear axle doesn't spin at all anymore :)
  • Headhuunter
    patrickf wrote:
    patrickf wrote:

It all depends on how much you ride, how bad the weather is, and how clean you keep the bike. Ideally you need to at least hose down and dry the bike after every ride. Not easy when you have to do that outside, it's dark, and it's chucking it down.

I rode a lot last winter and the amount of salt on the roads was a joke. I managed to write off my wheels in less than a year (bearings and rims) and that was a couple of months before Spring. Funnily enough the wheels are still sat in my shed and the rear axle doesn't spin at all anymore :)
    Yup, if you're fastidious about cleaning and regreasing the bike after a winter ride it'll be alright but in reality after you get home from a wet 'n' cold ride on a dull day in November the last thing you feel like doing is staying out in the cold and carefully washing the bike down! One tip is to smear a thin layer of grease over components like the mechs and brake callipers - helps waterproof a bit against the salty spray although it does mean that grit and dirt from the roads will stick
  • Not encouraging. I'll be sitting inside all winter at this rate :(
  • patrickf
    You just need to be prepared to replace a few bits. To be honest, the best thing you can invest in are some full length mudguards!
  • patrickf wrote:
    You just need to be prepared to replace a few bits. To be honest, the best thing you can invest in are some full length mudguards!

Yep, which ones you recommend for the CR1?