The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Until I started reading this thread, I did not realise how divisive the spacer above the stem question was/is.....
  • boblo wrote:
    Until I started reading this thread, I did not realise how divisive the spacer above the stem question was/is.....
    The final word, surely must go to rule #45:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#45
  • I think it's the right part, not much other choice from the parts that came with the frame.
    Then again, I've been wrong plenty of times before!!

and below is a pic showing the headset parts that came with the frame
    Thanks for any help!
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    boblo wrote:

I'm all right then: 20mm conical spacer below and 5mm above. Phew!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    boblo wrote:

Indeed - so no spacer above the stem it is! Anyway, in my case I wouldn't be able to fit a computer if I had a spacer above the stem.......

(Spacer above the stem really just means your peers bullied you into slamming the stem more than is good for you and you will be putting the spacer back underneath the stem, where it belongs, as soon as you think no-one will notice!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    scott-s30 wrote:
    I think it's the right part, not much other choice from the parts that came with the frame.

Thanks for any help!
    It does look like the CR1 Pro comes with a slightly different headset to the CR1 SL, but that part you have fitted looks just like one of my headset cups!

This is what my crown race looks like:
    cr1slcrownrace.jpg

The picture showing your headset contents isn't particularly great - any chance of a better picture?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    patrickf wrote:
    It does look like the CR1 Pro comes with a slightly different headset to the CR1 SL, but that part you have fitted looks just like one of my headset cups

That was my thought - it doesn't look much like a crown race
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • patrickf
    scott-s30 wrote:
    I think it's the right part, not much other choice from the parts that came with the frame.

Thanks for any help!
    What's the 5th item on the second photo? Do we have one too many parts here?

From memory there should be:
    • 2x headset cup (items 2 & 3 - though on the pic they look mahoosive)
    • 1x crown race
    • 1x compression ring (the silver item on your pic?)
    • 1x cover (last item)
    • 2x sealed cartridge bearings (not pictured it seems)

Am I right in thinking that a few people in this thread had incorrect/missing bits for the headset in their SLs?
  • Sorry, bad pic from trying to make it the right size (first time posting pics!)

From the left:-
    1: the crown race (I hope!) now fitted to the fork
    2+3: the headset cups including bearings. Same sized pair. These are sealed units although the bottom one came
    apart when the crown race got stuck in it when I removed the fork. Managed to get it back together OK.
    4: plastic split ring (I assumed this went on top of the top bearing cup)
    5: metal ring which fits under #6, doesn't seem to mate to any of the other parts.
    6: top cap. underside of this is shaped to match #5.

Maybe I've been given a dodgy headset? Can any others who bought Pro's say what their sets contained?

cheers folks.
  • patrickf
    From that lot I'd agree #1 looks the most likely to be the crown race, but to me it still doesn't look right. Do the cartridge bearings sit quite far into the cups or are they quite flush?

Definitely get someone with a CR1 Pro to chime in.
  • meanredspider
    That's a better pic and I can now see the bearings in the cups which makes sense and makes more sense of the crown race as the cups look pretty deep
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • patrickf
    That's a better pic and I can now see the bearings in the cups which makes sense and makes more sense of the crown race as the cups look pretty deep
    Glad you can see them well :)

I can't get the picture big enough to see on my phone.

Would make sense if the bearings are recessed in the cups.
  • shamone
    shamone Posts: 55
    scott-s30 wrote:
    Sorry, bad pic from trying to make it the right size (first time posting pics!)

From the left:-
    1: the crown race (I hope!) now fitted to the fork
    2+3: the headset cups including bearings. Same sized pair. These are sealed units although the bottom one came
    apart when the crown race got stuck in it when I removed the fork. Managed to get it back together OK.
    4: plastic split ring (I assumed this went on top of the top bearing cup)
    5: metal ring which fits under #6, doesn't seem to mate to any of the other parts.
    6: top cap. underside of this is shaped to match #5.

Maybe I've been given a dodgy headset? Can any others who bought Pro's say what their sets contained?

cheers folks.

I've got the same frame and head set kit as you, except item 5 is plastic.

The crown race on mine is the same and doesn't seem to seat fully into the lower bearing, so perhaps this is the way it is on this type of headset? It certainly doesn't have any side to side play. I might get the vernier gauge and check the race hasn't been made oval shaped by the steerer tube.
  • meanredspider
    As others have piggy-backed a bit on this thread, I'll add my Scott Foil Team Issue Di2 if that's Ok?

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX frameset (Westbrook sourced)
    Ultegra Di2 Groupset 39/53 (my concession to the flatlands of NL) - I'll fit a 12/23 cassette when I'm over there.
    Ritchey WCS carbon bars and stem
    RS80 24c wheels
    Specialized Toupe saddle
    Lizardskin bar tape
    Gore Ride-On low friction brake cables
    105 SPD-SL pedals
    Undecided on tyres but will probably be Vittoria Rubino Pro slicks

I'm actually going to get my LBS to do much of the build partly because I'm so short of time and partly because they quoted only £60.
  • meanredspider
    Frameset arrived today - it's very nice. It's 60g heavier than Charlie's CR1 SL but then his is a Small and this is a Large. The gloss finish will be easier to keep clean.

ETA - it also came with a seatpost saw guide that I wasn't expecting (at least that's what I assume it is) though I'm not sure why sawing a seatpost precisely square is important. Any thoughts?
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Frameset arrived today - it's very nice. It's 60g heavier than Charlie's CR1 SL but then his is a Small and this is a Large. The gloss finish will be easier to keep clean.

ETA - it also came with a seatpost saw guide that I wasn't expecting (at least that's what I assume it is) though I'm not sure why sawing a seatpost precisely square is important. Any thoughts?

Absolutely none, but given I am a pic whore, some pics would be nice
  • shamone
    shamone Posts: 55

Steerer saw guide perhaps?
  • meanredspider
    Shamone wrote:
    Steerer saw guide perhaps?

I'll try to sort a pic but it's effectively a metal "clamp" in the shape of the seatpost with a slot in it. It has a large square flange on it with "Foil" stamped in it - designed, I guess, to clamp in a vice. I'm 95% sure it's for cutting the seatpost - presumable to dispense with unnecessary weight. Oddly, though, the originally seatpost is cut at 45deg
  • meanredspider
    Here's the guide and the frame

9550887107_7e4743664d_z_d.jpg

9550887171_c75c76d821_z_d.jpg
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    thats a great looking frame. However, if you need more setback what do you do?
  • shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    And a quick tip for the chain catcher on the FOIL take the bolt out and apply a small amount of thread lock.
    a couple of the guys from the club have Foils and we have had to stop mid ride to tighten the bolt back up on both of them. also if your running a compact chainring it means removing the rings to get at it. total pita at the side of the road.
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • meanredspider
    shadow4532 wrote:
    And a quick tip for the chain catcher on the FOIL take the bolt out and apply a small amount of thread lock.
    a couple of the guys from the club have Foils and we have had to stop mid ride to tighten the bolt back up on both of them. also if your running a compact chainring it means removing the rings to get at it. total pita at the side of the road.

Ah - good point. I did actually notice how easily it unscrewed by hand last night and made a Note to Self to do something about it. I have a standard Double up front so hopefully easy to do post-assembly as the bike is at the LBS being built now.
  • meanredspider
    samsbike wrote:
    thats a great looking frame. However, if you need more setback what do you do?

Hope that you don't... :wink:

I was pretty careful about sizing taking lots of measurements off the Volagi (which I had Bike Whispered) and comparing to the Foil.
  • That Foil is lovely, fancied one after I saw a bloke commuting (I know) into Manchester on one a couple of months ago. Full Di2 and Dura Ace wheels, looked the business. Hope he had somewhere good to lock it!
  • Took mine out today for the first time in about two weeks and loved it. That is until I'd been riding for about an hour when all kinds of pains began to present themselves. If I can't get it sorted there may be a very nice one for sale in the classifieds before too long :(
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Took mine out today for the first time in about two weeks and loved it. That is until I'd been riding for about an hour when all kinds of pains began to present themselves. If I can't get it sorted there may be a very nice one for sale in the classifieds before too long :(

Can I recommend Jo Mcrae - London based too.
    I contacted her after another forum member, mikenetic, mentioned what a good experience he had had with her, and I was not dissapointed.
    Not cheap, it is true, but she has worked out what the NHS have not been able to do anything about for 9 years with me, and although I am not yet 100% fixed, I am a lot better than I used to be:
    http://www.trainingforcyclists.co.uk/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Took mine out today for the first time in about two weeks and loved it. That is until I'd been riding for about an hour when all kinds of pains began to present themselves. If I can't get it sorted there may be a very nice one for sale in the classifieds before too long :(

Can I recommend Jo Mcrae - London based too.
    I contacted her after another forum member, mikenetic, mentioned what a good experience he had had with her, and I was not dissapointed.
    Not cheap, it is true, but she has worked out what the NHS have not been able to do anything about for 9 years with me, and although I am not yet 100% fixed, I am a lot better than I used to be:
    http://www.trainingforcyclists.co.uk/

Cheers! I've actually just had a bike fit with this bike and was very happy with it. I'm just doing my usual thing of feeling a little discomfort and deciding I need to change equipment. I suspect I mostly need to do some upper back strengthening.
  • meanredspider
    Aaargh - why is it the smallest and most innocuous parts that stop your build? The brake cable stops for the internal rear brake cable run are missing! Who needs a rear brake anyway? Oh - I forgot - this is rim brakes: I need all the help I can get :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Cheers! I've actually just had a bike fit with this bike and was very happy with it. I'm just doing my usual thing of feeling a little discomfort and deciding I need to change equipment. I suspect I mostly need to do some upper back strengthening.

If you've changed stuff pop back to Cadence as they'll take a look for you.

I had a follow up yesterday on my fit and Des adjusted my cleats on the new shoes I have but nothing on the bike need doing as I haven't touched the setup.

Did you have a Retul fit? If so did you get a measurement sheet?
  • Cheers! I've actually just had a bike fit with this bike and was very happy with it. I'm just doing my usual thing of feeling a little discomfort and deciding I need to change equipment. I suspect I mostly need to take a large dose of MTFU.

Fixed that for you... :mrgreen: