The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I had my steerer cut and the lbs left all the scott spacers above the headset, therefore I have 40mm above the headset and below the stem - is this OK, don't want the bloody thing to crack. I have a 5mm on top of the stem.

thanks
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    samsbike wrote:
    I had my steerer cut and the lbs left all the scott spacers above the headset, therefore I have 40mm above the headset and below the stem - is this OK, don't want the bloody thing to crack. I have a 5mm on top of the stem.
    thanks
    Yes, that's fine. According to the Scott docs, there should be a maximum of 40mm below and 5mm above the stem so you are within spec. I cut mine so I have just the 20mm conical spacer below and a 5mm above. Might need to cut it again and ditch the 20mm conical as the bars seem quite high as it is. I think a 5mm above makes the upper stem blot clamp more securely since it is not clamping fresh air.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Absolutely gutted to miss out on this last night:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/handlebars-stems/handlebars-road/ritchey-wcs-carbon-streem-bars.html
    5764_ritchey_wcs_carbon_streem_bars.jpg

Been after a wing top carbon bar that does not have any red on it, and was a reasonable price, for AGES, and it was available when I added it to the basket, but then not when I went to checkout :evil:
    Would have been the final part I needed.
    Will have to stick with my Chinese import ones after all then :|

With that in mind, can anyone recommend me some flat top carbon bars that have no red on them?
    I missed out on the Planet X Ness bars as well.
    I need 40cm c-c width, and the cheaper the better within reason, up to around £140 max.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • samsbike
    bobones wrote:
    samsbike wrote:
    thanks
    Yes, that's fine. According to the Scott docs, there should be a maximum of 40mm below and 5mm above the stem so you are within spec. I cut mine so I have just the 20mm conical spacer below and a 5mm above. Might need to cut it again and ditch the 20mm conical as the bars seem quite high as it is. I think a 5mm above makes the upper stem blot clamp more securely since it is not clamping fresh air.

I could be in trouble as I have 47mm between the stem and top of the headtube, but 40mm between the headset and stem. I do need the height though.

Which Scott docs are you referring to?
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I can attest to the superior handling of the SL frame and the power of Chrous brakes after someone in a red Nissan Micra came out of a side road without stopping or looking right in front of me today. I could have sworn I was going into the side of the car or over the bonnet, but somehow managed to simultaneously perform an emergency stop and swerve around in front of the now stationery car without locking up or falling off. When I shouted at the driver he carried on looking ahead without acknowledging me and then drove off. He seemed to be in a trance.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    samsbike wrote:
    http://assets.scott-sports.com.s3.amazo ... ral_en.pdf
    Quote:
    Never use more than 40mm stack height of spacers between headset and stem.
    Do not use more than 5mm stack height of spacer above the stem between the
    topcap of the headset and the stem.
    Do use minimum 5mm stack height of spacer below the stem between the cap of
    the headset and the stem.
  • samsbike
    bobones wrote:
    samsbike wrote:
    Quote:

Thanks I think I am fine then as I fitted their 3 spacers between the headset and stem which is 40mm I hope.
  • samsbike wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    samsbike wrote:
    Quote:

Thanks I think I am fine then as I fitted their 3 spacers between the headset and stem which is 40mm I hope.

You do all realise the Scott instruction is just them covering their arses, right? I'm on holiday right now and today I had a very nice time floating around the pool on a lilo that claimed it was only suitable for those who weigh 80kg or less. At 86kgs (and rapidly growing, being in Italy) I got on it anyway. What a rebel!
  • samsbike
    samsbike wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    samsbike wrote:
    Quote:

You do all realise the Scott instruction is just them covering their arses, right? I'm on holiday right now and today I had a very nice time floating around the pool on a lilo that claimed it was only suitable for those who weigh 80kg or less. At 86kgs (and rapidly growing, being in Italy) I got on it anyway. What a rebel!

This is my first and probably last carbon bike, so I am erring on the side of caution.

Enjoy Italy wish I was there
  • Sorry if I seem to be bumping my own posts but from doing a bit of digging round I answered my own previous question in that I see BB91 is the Shimano equivalent of BB86, which I believe was a standard introduced by Trek? I also understand with the BB91 you can use Hollowtech II or FSA Mega Exo cranks. My problem is that I have Fulcrum 3 wheels with a Campy hub, so would I be better off getting FSA cranks and fitting Campy everything else round it, or would my life be easier to get the adapter cups and fit a completely Campag drivetrain on?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just a note on paint durability on these things. I was out in the Alps last week and one of our group hired a CR1 Pro. It's hard to say how much abuse it had had - the lettering was scratched a bit but maybe it would have on any finish. What was clear was that the red part of the top tube had been well polished by leg rub! It was definitely going more satin finish than matt. Overall it did look a bit shabby and it would have been hard to clean up as it was. On the other hand it could have looked a lot worse.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    raymondliu wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:
    I have a set of Campagnolo cups which I bought in error for a previous build a few years ago.
    They state
    Campagnolo 2011 Ultra Torque OS-Fit 86,5x41

Will they enable my Chorus 11 speed chainset to fit the CR1-SL frame ?

Found this question from further up the thread, with someone saying they would go with the CR1 SL frame. As I understand it those cups are for BB86 but would they also go with BB91?

It all fit fine when the lbs put it together for me.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Galatzo wrote:
    raymondliu wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:
    I have a set of Campagnolo cups which I bought in error for a previous build a few years ago.
    They state
    Campagnolo 2011 Ultra Torque OS-Fit 86,5x41

Will they enable my Chorus 11 speed chainset to fit the CR1-SL frame ?

Found this question from further up the thread, with someone saying they would go with the CR1 SL frame. As I understand it those cups are for BB86 but would they also go with BB91?

It all fit fine when the lbs put it together for me.

Thanks for the reply, roughly how much did it cost for the fitting?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My Scott on holiday

IMAG0771.jpg

IMAG0772.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    Whereabouts did you stay ITB - did you hire one big house/gite or something?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Riberac near-ish to Bergerac and yes a fairly MASSHOOF house at the top of an 11% climb which i'm of course now the KOM
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The p-x is dead, long live the CR1!

My nearly 5yr old planet-x frame has developed a crack just below the seatpost clamp. Creaks really badly. Brand spanking NOS CR1 arrives tomorrow...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    JonGinge wrote:

My nearly 5yr old planet-x frame has developed a crack just below the seatpost clamp. Creaks really badly. Brand spanking NOS CR1 arrives tomorrow...

You just didn't want to clean it, did you?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Asprilla wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

You just didn't want to clean it, did you?
    It was the cleaning that did for it. Should have left well enough alone ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • solstice21
    solstice21 Posts: 321
    Missed out on this bargain.....Now, can I make the last size (54cm) fit a 6' 3" 'er with 36" inside leg????
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'd have said no way. That's at least 58 territory.

I'm looking at the Foil and trying to decide between the 56 and 58 (I'm 6' and 33" inside leg) - I'm right on the cusp of those two sizes. Doesn't help that my Volagi is 57.. :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536

I'm looking at the Foil and trying to decide between the 56 and 58 (I'm 6' and 33" inside leg) - I'm right on the cusp of those two sizes. Doesn't help that my Volagi is 57.. :roll:
    I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and went for the 54 CR1 SL. I'd say go for the 56, unless the sizes aren't comparable between the Foil and the CR1.
  • patrickf
    Just removed the Shimano BB and fitted a GXP BB with Force chainset.

Did other people's Shimano BB come out easily? Mine was an absolute pain to get out - even with the proper Park Tool for the job.

Pressing the new ones in on the other hand was dead easy!
  • meanredspider
    patrickf wrote:

I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and went for the 54 CR1 SL. I'd say go for the 56, unless the sizes aren't comparable between the Foil and the CR1.

Thanks - yes, I was just comparing the effective top tube of the Volagi with that quoted for the Foil and it's the same as the 56.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daniel_b
    Solstice21 wrote:
    Missed out on this bargain.....Now, can I make the last size (54cm) fit a 6' 3" 'er with 36" inside leg????

Agreed - 58 or even a 61?
    There do seem to be 61's for sale onebay for not a huge amount more than the original price, but unfortunately no 58's - might be worth a look if you're happy to spend a touch more.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    patrickf wrote:

Did other people's Shimano BB come out easily? Mine was an absolute pain to get out - even with the proper Park Tool for the job.

Nope one whack with a hammer and the park tool and out it popped.
  • patrickf
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    patrickf wrote:

Nope one whack with a hammer and the park tool and out it popped.
    Hmm mine definitely took a lot more effort! Started thinking I was going to break the thing! Perhaps it was because I started off with a hard rubber mallet but even with a big bolster it still took a few whacks. Once one side was out though the other did just needed one tap.
  • meanredspider
    Pulled the trigger on a Di2 Foil.

What bars and wheels have people spotted out there? All things being equal, I'd probably start with RS80s as I can always move them onto Charlie's CR1 in due course and I know I like them. I am wondering if there are any deeper section (more aero) wheels around though.
  • Yes; the deeper section version of the RS80 ;)
  • meanredspider
    Yes; the deeper section version of the RS80 ;)

At a good price?