The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Any solutions yet to the water ingress issue at the FD hole in the BB shell?

What's the best way to get the water out?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    What's the specification of the BB that comes with the Pro frame? - Just so I know for my information :)

The £449 version has a standard BSA 68mm threaded BB shell and no BB cups.

The £499 version has a Shimano Press Fit BB shell (BB86) and bog-standard Shimano pressfit cups that are suitable for Shimano HT II and non-carbon FSA megaexo chainsets. If you want a different BB86 BB fitted (e.g. GXP for SRAM or FSA for carbon FSA cranks).
  • bobones wrote:
    The £499 version has a Shimano Press Fit BB shell (BB86) and bog-standard Shimano pressfit cups that are suitable for Shimano HT II and non-carbon FSA megaexo chainsets. If you want a different BB86 BB fitted (e.g. GXP for SRAM or FSA for carbon FSA cranks).

I was just wondering what standard it was, e.g. as mentioned groupsets often come with BBs.
  • bobones
    After my initial cut, just to get the fork fitted, I'm going to cut my steerer down to the optimum length. Does anyone know exactly how far below the stem or top spacer the tube with expander fitted needs to be to get preload? Would it be wise to fit a 5mm spacer above the stem?
  • bobones
    bobones wrote:

I was just wondering what standard it was, e.g. as mentioned groupsets often come with BBs.

The threaded frame is BSA 68mm, aka English threaded. The PF frame is Shimano Press Fit compatible, aka BB86.

If you buy a Shimano groupset it will come with a BSA 68 threaded cups suitable for the threaded BB frame model. This will be surplus to requirements if you get the BB86 frame as it comes with the correct PF cups for a Shimano crank already pressed into the frame.

If you buy any other manufacturers groupset, you will need to specify the BB cups you require, either BSA (threaded) or BB86 compatible depending which frame you get. Manufacturers have different names for these, e.g. MegaExo, GXP and different flavours for the frame's BB shell type. For some of these you will need to remove the Shimano cups and press in the correct type for your particular crank.
  • Can anyone confirm that 25mm tyres will fit ok onto the pro frame. I have 23c GP4000S fitted at the moment and the clearances seem tight. I'd like to put some 25c on for my next tyres but don't want to find they don't fit or rub!
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I have fitted 25c durano and they fit fine
  • alans220
    alans220 Posts: 78
    Hi,

Decided to bu one of the CR1 pros that are left, I'm 5ft 10.5 with inside leg of 31 inch.

Was going for a 54 cm, would you say that was correct.

They still have both the 54 and 56 in stock.

thanks

al
  • bobones
    alans220 wrote:
    Hi,

Decided to bu one of the CR1 pros that are left, I'm 5ft 10.5 with inside leg of 31 inch.

thanks

al
    54 would be better I would think. I'm 5'11 with 34" inside leg and went for the 54. I rode a 56 Felt F85 and Trek 1.5, but the 54 Scott is perfect. Easier to make a small bike bigger than vice versa.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    bobones wrote:
    alans220 wrote:
    Hi,

thanks

al
    54 would be better I would think. I'm 5'11 with 34" inside leg and went for the 54. I rode a 56 Felt F85 and Trek 1.5, but the 54 Scott is perfect. Easier to make a small bike bigger than vice versa.

That re-assures me, I am 5ft 10, and also have a 34" inside leg, and plumped for a 54.
    Would you say you have a shortish torso in comparison to your leg length Bob?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • patrickf
    alans220 wrote:
    Hi,

thanks

al
    I have a 32" inseam and went for a size 54 SL. Haven't ridden it yet (not even built it!), but it looks right for me. As above, I currently ride a 56 Trek 1.5 and that seems to be fine for me.

Edit: 5ft 10 too.
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    I'm 5'10.5" and 32" leg and opted for the 54. Further backed up when I picked up the frame in person has I live very local and had a look over a 56 they had built up in the shop. Defo right choice I made.
  • patrickf
    avababy24 wrote:
    I'm 5'10.5" and 32" leg and opted for the 54. Further backed up when I picked up the frame in person has I live very local and had a look over a 56 they had built up in the shop. Defo right choice I made.
    Cheers! Glad I went for the 54 in the end. Was originally going to get a 56 as that's what my Trek is, though the measurements from the Competitive Cyclist fit seemed to suggest I needed the top tube length of the 54.
  • I went from a Trek 2.1 52cm to a CR1 52cm and found the fit to be about the same.
  • alans220
    Thanks all, will go for a 54 as planned.

This will be my winter project, have no other parts at all.

Sold my road bike earlier this year, thought I could survive with just my MTB.

This offer is too good to pass.

Al
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm 5'10" with a 32.5" inseam and ride a 54 but with a layback seat post and a 110mm stem.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Thanks all re the BB help....much appreciated. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the threaded BB version - based on the facts mentioned that it's be easier for home fettling (I begrudge paying a bike shop to do anything!) and as mentioned (I hadn't thought of this) but the groupsets I've been looking at (probably 105 due to price/performance) do include a BB, so no point in paying twice!

I need to convince myself further - I def don't need it but def do want it! It would make a nice upgrade from my Cannondale Alu Synapse Sora, me thinks...
  • bobones
    Daniel B wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    alans220 wrote:
    Hi,

thanks

al

That re-assures me, I am 5ft 10, and also have a 34" inside leg, and plumped for a 54.
    Would you say you have a shortish torso in comparison to your leg length Bob?
    Yes, I'm pretty short when I sit down! Longish arms help with reach though. I don't feel at all cramped on the 54 with 100mm stem. If anything I could go with a shorter stem. Plenty of saddle to bar drop with the 54 but the bars are easily high enough with the 20mm conical spacer. I might go with just a 5mm spacer below the stem to get a bit more aero. Definitely think the 56 would be a bit too big and too upright for me.
  • alans220
    Just pressed the button, my 54cm has been ordered!
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I am selling the Shimano Pressfit BB that came with my CR1 SL frame. Removed unused as I am running a Campag groupset. £15 posted sound reasonable? Pm me if interested.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    pete54 wrote:
    I am selling the Shimano Pressfit BB that came with my CR1 SL frame. Removed unused as I am running a Campag groupset. £15 posted sound reasonable? Pm me if interested.

I understand that Shimano say don't re-use press-fit bearings as they can be damaged on removal. I suppose it depends how carefully they were removed. Judging by mine, Scott used some green goo when installing it, so they should come out without a struggle and using an appropriate puller?

I left mine in and went Shimano
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    keef66 wrote:
    I understand that Shimano say don't re-use press-fit bearings as they can be damaged on removal. I suppose it depends how carefully they were removed. Judging by mine, Scott used some green goo when installing it, so they should come out without a struggle and using an appropriate puller?

I didn't remove them myself, my LBS Condor did it for me. I'll have a look tonight, but I don't think there's any damage to them. Seems a shame to throw them away.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I had to remove my Rotor bottom bracket and even using a Park Tool designed for the job it damaged it :(

Looking at the Shimano i removed with the same tool it is fine no signs of damage at all.

Had to coat the Rotor bottom bracket with Loctite 641 as it was creaking out of the saddle and Rotor do say it requires Loctite for installation.

Bloody creak is still there though!
  • bobones
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I had to remove my Rotor bottom bracket and even using a Park Tool designed for the job it damaged it :(

Looking at the Shimano i removed with the same tool it is fine no signs of damage at all.

Had to coat the Rotor bottom bracket with Loctite 641 as it was creaking out of the saddle and Rotor do say it requires Loctite for installation.

This sort of thing helps confirm that good old threaded is the way to go if you have the choice as with the Pro model.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    bobones wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

This sort of thing helps confirm that good old threaded is the way to go if you have the choice as with the Pro model.

You know I agree!

The BB86 was always a deciding factor and with a Rotor chainset it's proved to be a royal pain in the arse.
  • alans220
    Frame arrived this afternoon, just about 24 hours from when I ordered it, thanks and well done to Westbrook.

All looks very good, a work of art!

Any tips on fitting the crown race to the carbon steerer?, not sure the freezer/oven trick will work!

Thank you to all the posters on this thread, been very interesting and informative.

al
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Can't believe I've had mine now for what a month and I'm taking it on a second week in France, isn't young love beautiful

Oh and I bought it some new shoes yesterday ;-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    alans220 wrote:
    Frame arrived this afternoon, just about 24 hours from when I ordered it, thanks and well done to Westbrook.

All looks very good, a work of art!

Any tips on fitting the crown race to the carbon steerer?, not sure the freezer/oven trick will work!

Thank you to all the posters on this thread, been very interesting and informative.

al

The answer is in the thread somewhere, try here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12924826&hilit=crown&start=600
  • alans220
    Thanks tincaman, will give it a go tomorrow.

Should IPut any grease on the bearings, I assume they are pre-greased.

Al
  • Galatzo wrote:
    I have a set of Campagnolo cups which I bought in error for a previous build a few years ago.
    They state
    Campagnolo 2011 Ultra Torque OS-Fit 86,5x41

Will they enable my Chorus 11 speed chainset to fit the CR1-SL frame ?

Found this question from further up the thread, with someone saying they would go with the CR1 SL frame. As I understand it those cups are for BB86 but would they also go with BB91?