The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Daniel B wrote:
    patrickf wrote:
    I've not got the spacers here but I'd have thought the bottom flared spacer + 1 other spacer is about 40mm. So should be fine.

But if 40mm is less or equal to the flared spacer plus one, what is the point of them supplying more spacers than that......?
    From memory there are 3 disc ones of differing heights?
    Actually thinking about this again, are the normal supplied spacers not 5mm? I think the flared one may be 30mm, which would mean max flared + 2 spacers and one on top adds up.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    The flared Scott spacer is 20mm - the others were 10mm. At least that's what came with my headset...
  • patrickf
    Thanks for clarifying - I'm just guessing here as i dont have the frame to hand.

If one of the spacers was 5mm then it still adds up. I can't believe they'd supply 3 10mm spacers knowing that you can't use them.
  • onemoresolo
    onemoresolo Posts: 372
    I hope someone has told all those Orica GreenEDGE riders that their slammed stems are going to make their bikes explode!
  • patrickf
    I hope someone has told all those Orica GreenEDGE riders that their slammed stems are going to make their bikes explode!
    Is that why we didn't see them much after the first week of the TdF?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mine came with the bigger flared thing which I didn't measure, and 3 x 10mm spacers, two of which you can't use according to their instructions :roll:
  • d10brp
    d10brp Posts: 70
    Quick question for Pro owners, what size seatpost clamp did you get? I need qr as I take it in the car quite often.

My XXL Pro should be here by Monday, can't wait to start building.
    Scott CR1 Pro
    Specialized Secteur Elite
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Bloody hell never knew about the 40mm maximum between the stem and headset.

It's pretty standard with carbon steerer tubes. Despite pointing this out to someone on here recently he insisted on running something like 60mm of spacers with a downturned stem rather than a safe number of spacers and an upturned stem as 'It looks better' :roll:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    d10brp wrote:
    Quick question for Pro owners, what size seatpost clamp did you get? I need qr as I take it in the car quite often.

It's a 31.6mm
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    d10brp wrote:

It's a 31.6mm

No that is the seatpost diameter.

You need a 34.9mm seatclamp.
  • Right, well it was my Birthday on Sunday, so I've been allowed to ride the thing now! :) Had a blast this morning also to dial in the position a bit - the saddle was a bit far back on Sunday, and I didn't feel quite right - much better this morning.

As you may remember, I got the CR1 Pro - missed out on the SL, but I prefer the paint job of the Pro anyway, and I doubt I'd notice any difference anyway! What can I say? It's certainly very fast so far, especially up hills and out of the saddle. The out of the saddle thing makes me think I'm still not quite right positionally, may have another try at some point. Definitely very comfortable too, seems composed over even the naff roads round here and it is so light it's unbelievable! All seems nice and stiff in the right ways too. I weighed it in at about 7.2 Kg before the pedals went on, and that's for an XL!

Very pleased indeed, he said, with a sense of understatement. And given the number of flies on my teeth this morning, it must show.
  • d10brp
    d10brp Posts: 70
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    d10brp wrote:

It's a 31.6mm

No that is the seatpost diameter.

You need a 34.9mm seatclamp.

That's what I was looking for, thanks!
    Scott CR1 Pro
    Specialized Secteur Elite
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    keef66 wrote:
    Mine came with the bigger flared thing which I didn't measure, and 3 x 10mm spacers, two of which you can't use according to their instructions

This is 40 mm including the bit with 'carbon' written on it (should that be included?):

9186569534_16ece97da8.jpg
  • patrickf
    pete54 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Mine came with the bigger flared thing which I didn't measure, and 3 x 10mm spacers, two of which you can't use according to their instructions

This is 40 mm including the bit with 'carbon' written on it (should that be included?):

No, my understanding is that this piece is part of the headset itself. Everything above counts.
  • Gazzaputt
    Measured the spacers on mine and with one spacer and the flared spacer it's 35mm.
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    patrickf wrote:
    pete54 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

No, my understanding is that this piece is part of the headset itself. Everything above counts.

I would include the upper bearing dust cover as they can be variable height. Thus measure from the top of the headtube
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I would include the upper bearing dust cover as they can be variable height. Thus measure from the top of the headtube

I think you're probably right. The guy in Condor put 'effective stack height 40 mm' or something similar on the order form for my build when I dropped the bits off and that's how it came back. I would guess my setup is the maximum you should go with.
  • Gazzaputt
    pete54 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I have a WCS headset that has a lot less height than the one you have.

Found my solution in fitting a 20mm spacer on top of the stem instead of a 10mm.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Found my solution in fitting a 20mm spacer on top of the stem instead of a 10mm."

But Scott say a max of 5mm above the stem but provide only 10mm spacers, which is why I have none above. Looks neat without.
  • Gazzaputt
    keef66 wrote:
    "Found my solution in fitting a 20mm spacer on top of the stem instead of a 10mm."

But Scott say a max of 5mm above the stem but provide only 10mm spacers, which is why I have none above. Looks neat without.

:lol: got my mm mixed here.

had a 5mm that had probably 2mm above the steerer so gone with a 10mm
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Can someone come up with a horror story of how crap this deal actually is please? Dodgy paint or brake rub or wonky forks or something. My bank account has a sort of pleading 'please-don't-hurt-me' look in its eyes and I am tempted to whack it over the head with a Scott-shaped hammer.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Errrm sorry, they are both fantastic frames :-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:
    Can someone come up with a horror story of how crap this deal actually is please? Dodgy paint or brake rub or wonky forks or something. My bank account has a sort of pleading 'please-don't-hurt-me' look in its eyes and I am tempted to whack it over the head with a Scott-shaped hammer.

Someone in the road forums is upset he can see some UD carbon patterns in the downtube if that helps.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • patrickf
    Rolf F wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

Someone in the road forums is upset he can see some UD carbon patterns in the downtube if that helps.
    It's a defect. Poor QA don't you know. :lol:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    DesWeller wrote:

I know that feeling. I need a "weekend/evening" road bike for Holland and a Scott frame, RS80 wheels, a 105 group set and the other odds n sods looks like a great way to a very quick and useable bike for a sensible amount of money.

Trouble is, having already bought an CR1 SL for Charlie, I know exactly how great they are...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DesWeller wrote:

Massive headtube and 40mm of spacers would mean it would look good with a shopping basket on the front?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    DesWeller wrote:

Massive headtube and 40mm of spacers would mean it would look good with a shopping basket on the front?
    It does!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DesWeller wrote:

Allow another £190 for 105 gear set?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    DesWeller wrote:

The Pro is not as light as the SL and those of us on SLs will laugh at you as we sail by on our superior bikes. That help?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It wouldn't bother me so much if the SL had been like £600 and the Pro £500. At least I could be like; oh well I've saved a bit there. But they were the same price :(