The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Lefthook wrote:
    On a separate note, I'm thinking that I really need some black wheels rather than the battleship grey R1500s. Am very taken with the Campagnolo Zondas - I just love the rear spoke pattern! Other than offending the purists there's no reason not to have Campag wheels with a Shimano drivetrain is there? :wink::lol:

No they do 2 versions, just make sure you order the shimano freehub version. It will fit 11 speed and comes with spacer to fit 10 speed. I am running mine with 105.

Hmmm... would the 2013 Zondas take a 9 speed cassette though?
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Now where's that spare £500/600 I haven't got?

You need Chorus, that's about £870. Once you put those wheels on it will be niggling away at you until you cave in and get the credit card out.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I have my heart set on some Zondas now, that's all I need now to allow me to completely build the bike.

I was going to order them from Halfords, as I would get 10% British cycling discount, and I can order a gift card through work for a further 10% discount, which would have bought them down to around £235, BUT Halfords will not allow you to order them in to pay instore, you HAVE to pay online, so no go.

Aside from them, and Shinybikes, who seem to have a so so reputation, Wiggle seem to have the best price, but does anyone think they are going to have a discount code sometime soon, you know a 10/15/20% off code over a £200 spend or what have you?

Irritatingly Merlin and Ribble, the usual goto places for wheels, only stock them with a Campag freehub :?

If one of those came up I would nab them straight away.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Finished...(well almost, the 20mm spacer needs to be swopped for a 10mm).

9200433451_4ced070c7f_z.jpg
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Origamist wrote:
    Finished...(well almost, the 20mm spacer needs to be swopped for a 10mm).

9200433451_4ced070c7f_z.jpg

I like it! It looks good in that size and the Archetype rims look great. How's it ride? x
  • Origamist
    Cheers. I've only been out for a quick spin and it feels comfortable, planted and accelerates well. Will give it a proper test on Sat in the Peaks.

The XL frame was a bit of a compromise between top-tube length and head-tube length for me, but I'm v happy. Complete build came in at just over £1350. Not sure of weight, but prob around 7.5kgs (I can tell by staring at the bike really hard).

The wheels are great (Archetype rims, CX Rays and Novatec hubs) it's just a shame the brake track will turn silver over time...

It's now my Saturday best bike...
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    Orgimist, bikes looking good!

How tall, are you?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm in the Alps at the moment, we did a 64km ride this afternoon the middle section of which averaged 11% which hurt like a mofo but the bike was awesome then descent was truly flipping awesome maxing at 91.65 km p/hr.

With ease, would have been even faster but I discovered that the new 105 brake pads are made of jelly and almost binned it into the wall several times.

Alp d'huez tomorrow
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    itboffin wrote:
    With ease, would have been even faster but I discovered that the new 105 brake pads are made of jelly and almost binned it into the wall several times.

diiiiiiiiiiiiiisc braaaaaaaaakes......diiiiiiiiiiiiiiisc braaaaaaaaaakes :wink:

I was nearer 100 km/h in the Cairngorms
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Origamist
    Orgimist, bikes looking good!

How tall, are you?

6' 2"
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm in the Alps at the moment, we did a 64km ride this afternoon the middle section of which averaged 11% which hurt like a mofo but the bike was awesome then descent was truly flipping awesome maxing at 91.65 km p/hr.

Alp d'huez tomorrow

Sounds very good ITB - 8)

Unrelated but I have just purchased a couple of these from Screwfix after someone else posted about how good a job they do on the frame:
    Muc-Off-Silicone-Shine.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax on my other matte bike (I know! Two matte bikes!)

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/218/Ultimate-Quik-Wax/

Meguiars say that it's fine to use on matte finishes if you spray the product onto a microfibre cloth and then wipe on. Plus like with all of their products it seems, it smells rather nice too.

Seems to do a decent job as well.
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Lefthook wrote:
    On a separate note, I'm thinking that I really need some black wheels rather than the battleship grey R1500s. Am very taken with the Campagnolo Zondas - I just love the rear spoke pattern! Other than offending the purists there's no reason not to have Campag wheels with a Shimano drivetrain is there? :wink::lol:

No they do 2 versions, just make sure you order the shimano freehub version. It will fit 11 speed and comes with spacer to fit 10 speed. I am running mine with 105.

Hmmm... would the 2013 Zondas take a 9 speed cassette though?

I believe so, the instructions for the spacer with the wheel says to adapt for 10/9 speed insert spacer here ..etc

So that would indicate not a problem
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Alp dhuez done AWESOME climb stunning views and the bike performed like a dream, to say im very happy is an understatement
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Dozzina
    Dozzina Posts: 44
    Nice bike Origamist, I'm currently building up a pair of Grey Archetypes/Hope hubs having built up the black ones for my winter/CX disc rig over Christmas.. Stay tuned.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    OK so I've got myself a 2nd hand SRAM Red groupset for the CR1 but what kind of bottom bracket do I need?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • patrickf
    OK so I've got myself a 2nd hand SRAM Red groupset for the CR1 but what kind of bottom bracket do I need?
    You'll need a GXP PF86 BB I believe.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    My CR1 Pro currently clocks in at 9.2kg. Which seems like a lot to me?
  • meanredspider

Holey moley! Is it fitted with a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winters???
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • markhewitt1978

No Conti GP4000S. Either I've got the heaviest wheels known to man or something else is going on here.
  • My CR1 Pro currently clocks in at 9.2kg. Which seems like a lot to me?

No Conti GP4000S. Either I've got the heaviest wheels known to man or something else is going on here.

What are the wheels?
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564

What are the wheels?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe144TmF68tnx1bNACgHJyc8jiUKWeZIfUgjUBKVJGwc-yoS0S
  • meanredspider
    Has someone filled the frame with sand? (one of my colleagues once did this to someone's bike not realising what it would do to the BB... :roll: )
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    took a trip to Merlin today and they told me no more SRAM Force groupset stock (no compact stock GXP 175mm or 172.5mm cranks) until the 2014 version comes out - price will go up.

chap on the desk also questioned why I was choosing SRAM over shimano - said they get far more issues and returns for SRAM stuff - think they were trying to push the ultegra kit a bit maybe?!
  • markhewitt1978

What are the wheels?

"Aluminium hubs w/Bontrager Approved aluminium rims". So in other words I have no idea!
  • patrickf
    frazered wrote:
    took a trip to Merlin today and they told me no more SRAM Force groupset stock (no compact stock GXP 175mm or 172.5mm cranks) until the 2014 version comes out - price will go up.

chap on the desk also questioned why I was choosing SRAM over shimano - said they get far more issues and returns for SRAM stuff - think they were trying to push the ultegra kit a bit maybe?!
    Noooo! I was waiting for them to get the 172.5mm cranks back in.

Time to look at options me thinks.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    patrickf wrote:
    frazered wrote:

Noooo! I was waiting for them to get the 172.5mm cranks back in.

Time to look at options me thinks.

merlin are the only folk with great prices :( even looked at red for a minute but the cost was a bit too far. maybe campag centaur???

anyone bought via ebay from Taiwan - seen a few SRAM force BINs? :?: :| :shock:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Has anyone else had problems posting this morning? The forum keeps crashing on me.... Anyway, quick question, I haven't actually seen my CR1 frame yet as it was delivered to my parents place ready for the build. My dad said that he couldn't see a headset in the box... Didn't everyone else here say that the headset was included in the price?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Has anyone else had problems posting this morning? The forum keeps crashing on me.... Anyway, quick question, I haven't actually seen my CR1 frame yet as it was delivered to my parents place ready for the build. My dad said that he couldn't see a headset in the box... Didn't everyone else here say that the headset was included in the price?

Site has been dodgy, yes, and yes, the headset is included. There's a cardboard box that doubles up as a seat tube protector. It'll be there, I'm sure.
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Headset included. That's funny though, I had two headsets in my box....

OK, so much for all these build pics. Who's gonna be the first to break theirs?