The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Nice one. I went for those bottle cages too - stealthy! The Campag is looking good on it too. Just got back from my 3rd ride out on the CR1. Seems to have improved average speed, despite having at least 4 cheeky climbs on the route. Now actively seeking out hills to do :lol: never knew they could be so much fun!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Had mine a couple of hours now so it's time to start thinking about upgrades :oops:
    Apparently the headset is quite heavy ?
    Anyone weigh theirs before fitting and know of a suitable lighter alternative ?
    Also need to sort a Deda seatpost to match the bars and stem (got a great Ritchey carbon one on but, well it don't match plus the EY of Ritchey is below the seatclamp and that just won't do !). Thinking of one of the Deda Zero 100 alloy posts from Ribble as only £39 versus the Superzero Carbon at £82 anyone got an actual weight for these in a 31.6 ?
    Other than that I can't think of anything I can afford to upgrade at the moment, anyone need a kidney :wink:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Having used stock Tektro brakes for the last 3 years, but with good pads, I have been pleasantly surprised at the increase in braking power of the 105 brakeset with stock pads
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Galatzo wrote:
    Had mine a couple of hours now so it's time to start thinking about upgrades :oops:
    Also need to sort a Deda seatpost to match the bars and stem (got a great Ritchey carbon one on but, well it don't match plus the EY of Ritchey is below the seatclamp and that just won't do !). Thinking of one of the Deda Zero 100 alloy posts from Ribble as only £39 versus the Superzero Carbon at £82 anyone got an actual weight for these in a 31.6 ?
    Other than that I can't think of anything I can afford to upgrade at the moment, anyone need a kidney :wink:

I'm swapping to Chris King headset and bottom bracket.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:

I didn't know CK did an integrated headset or a push fit bb?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gazzaputt
    Asprilla wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_inset

http://chrisking.com/PFBB

:)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_inset

http://chrisking.com/PFBB

:)

I'm sure it's great kit, but surely the weight difference will be the same as weather you carry 2 gels or 3?
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Luv2ride wrote:
    The Campag is looking good on it too.

The shifting is superb. Campag really is all it's cracked up to be and Condor did a fantastic job on the build. I only managed a few laps of Regent's Park last night, but I don't think I've managed 50 km/h on the flat before. Can't wait to take it up some hills at the weekend.
  • galatzo
    pete54 wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:

The shifting is superb. Campag really is all it's cracked up to be and Condor did a fantastic job on the build. I only managed a few laps of Regent's Park last night, but I don't think I've managed 50 km/h on the flat before. Can't wait to take it up some hills at the weekend.

Absolutely, mine is shifting really well after the build (it was a bit iffy before), maybe it's the new cassette and chain and to think I was considering a change of groupset. Next time you see me post about wanting Shim or Sram just remind me not too !
  • Gazzaputt
    I'm sure it's great kit, but surely the weight difference will be the same as weather you carry 2 gels or 3?

Not really a weight thing just that they'll last as long as I have the bike and they run so well.

Going for pewter I think.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Suggest the angle grinder may be overkill :o
    Hacksaw and finish with a file...shimano chainrings are after all made mainly of cheese."

OK, cheese grater it is then!
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Interesting that someone taller than me would have a XS frame when I'm on 52. tbh I guess I could have gone smaller as I don't have much seat post showing and an 80mm stem.

I usually ride a 52cm CAAD with 120mm headtube, 535mm top tube and 100mm stem so I would have gone for a 52cm if any had been left in stock, but would have had to run a -17 stem to get the bars low enough due to the extra headtube length on the Scott. The 49cm has a closer headtube length to my CAAD so have gone with 120mm -6 stem to make up for the shorter toptube. Many ways to skin a cat, basically.
    Galatzo wrote:

The headset itself is fine at 59g but you can save weight swapping the other parts out

hj06.jpg

d5co.jpg

The expansion plug is 24g and the topcap/bolt is 11g. You could save 17g on the expander by going for an Extralite Ultrastar 2 and another 6 grams on the topcap/bolt but your headset would need to be adjusted for preload before you start and also you should be careful about not over-tightening the stem bolts, as the existing Scott compression plug helps support the inside of the carbon steerer against over-tightening.

x58d.jpg

2x 10mm spacers supplied with headset are 4.5g each
    12nj.jpg

The suggested Chris King headset would be heavier than stock at 90+ grams, but should last you a lifetime.
  • jonny_trousers
    Galatzo wrote:
    pete54 wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:

Absolutely, mine is shifting really well after the build (it was a bit iffy before), maybe it's the new cassette and chain and to think I was considering a change of groupset. Next time you see me post about wanting Shim or Sram just remind me not too !

Nice looking bike, Pete!

My shifting's not quite right yet. I've dumped the chain a few times on sudden switches to the little ring and it's not totally settled at the back. I guess there's bound to be a bit of cable stretch going on (even though Campag cables are supposedly pre-stretched), but it's the excuse I need to learn how to index properly myself. I can't imagine not being able to shift multiple sprockets at a time.
  • jonny_trousers
    tincaman wrote:
    Having used stock Tektro brakes for the last 3 years, but with good pads, I have been pleasantly surprised at the increase in braking power of the 105 brakeset with stock pads

Someday treat yourself to the next notch up and you'll be in braking heaven. I've used Tektro and 105 before and although you're right: there is an upgrade, Ultegra or equivalent Campag is noticeably even better.
  • pete54
    Nice looking bike, Pete!
    My shifting's not quite right yet. I've dumped the chain a few times on sudden switches to the little ring and it's not totally settled at the back. I guess there's bound to be a bit of cable stretch going on (even though Campag cables are supposedly pre-stretched), but it's the excuse I need to learn how to index properly myself. I can't imagine not being able to shift multiple sprockets at a time.

It should work correctly now though, surely? Condor told me to bring it back after 200 miles or so after the cables have stretched a bit and they will re-adjust. I haven't used the small ring yet, but the rear indexing is perfect.
  • jonny_trousers
    pete54 wrote:
    Nice looking bike, Pete!

It should work correctly now though, surely? Condor told me to bring it back after 200 miles or so after the cables have stretched a bit and they will re-adjust. I haven't used the small ring yet, but the rear indexing is perfect.

I just don't think it's quite indexed right yet. There's one sprocket it struggles to settle into at the back. It's fine. I'll have a fiddle with it myself. What could possibly go wrong?
  • pete54
    just don't think it's quite indexed right yet. There's one sprocket it struggles to settle into at the back. It's fine. I'll have a fiddle with it myself. What could possibly go wrong?

You had it built by your LBS, didn't you? Can't you just take it back there and get them to fix it? BTW, care to name and shame them?
  • galatzo
    pete54 wrote:
    just don't think it's quite indexed right yet. There's one sprocket it struggles to settle into at the back. It's fine. I'll have a fiddle with it myself. What could possibly go wrong?

??? Endless ticking, creaking, clanking that can send a man mad while out trying to enjoy a ride !
  • jonny_trousers
    pete54 wrote:

You had it built by your LBS, didn't you? Can't you just take it back there and get them to fix it? BTW, care to name and shame them?

I did, but right now I have nothing but praise for them. Any time I've popped in they will stop whatever they are doing to fettle the bike any way I want. They've messed around with the indexing once for me, but the issue has returned so I suspect it is a question of everything still needing to settle (that and that, as a keen cyclist, I really ought to be able to do the indexing myself). Mine too is offering a free follow-up service and there is absolutely no charge for small tweaks any time I want them.
  • jonny_trousers
    Galatzo wrote:
    pete54 wrote:

??? Endless ticking, creaking, clanking that can send a man mad while out trying to enjoy a ride !

Really not that. Dumping the chain when I tried to shift front and back at the same time and one cog at the back needing an extra push to drop in. Nothing I shouldn't be able to fix myself.
  • Gazzaputt
    Galatzo wrote:
    pete54 wrote:

:lol: I suffer with the cranks with a ticking drives me mad! Only out of the saddle but cranks been off and on several times now to no avail.

Also developed a clicking from the stem now to when out of the saddle arghh! Torque wrench out again tonight
  • galatzo
    Going for first steady ride now, God I hope there's no noises....
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:
    pete54 wrote:

:lol: I suffer with the cranks with a ticking drives me mad! Only out of the saddle but cranks been off and on several times now to no avail.

Also developed a clicking from the stem now to when out of the saddle arghh! Torque wrench out again tonight

Have you tried tightening your pedal release tension? I definitely had a broken frame/crank/BB cups/headset/QRs for weeks until fettled all of them just to find that a quarter turn of an allen key was all I needed.
  • itsnotarace
    Dumping the chain when I tried to shift front and back at the same time

That is never advisable really
    and one cog at the back needing an extra push to drop in. Nothing I shouldn't be able to fix myself.

Put it in the gear that skips and twiddle with the barrel adjuster so the mech is directly in line with the sprocket. Turning a barrel adjuster is easy, I don't know why people take it to a shop to do.
  • jonny_trousers
    Dumping the chain when I tried to shift front and back at the same time

That is never advisable really

Really? I'm sure I read something here that suggested it shouldn't be a problem on modern groupsets?
    and one cog at the back needing an extra push to drop in. Nothing I shouldn't be able to fix myself.

Put it in the gear that skips and twiddle with the barrel adjuster so the mech is directly in line with the sprocket. Turning a barrel adjuster is easy, I don't know why people take it to a shop to do.

Cheers! That's exactly as I thought and I'm going to give it a go this afternoon.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I agree it's not a good idea to engage front & rear shifters simultaneously.

A good tip when adjusting the barrel is to do it in small turns, a quarter at a time. Then when out on the bike you can hop off, give it a quick turn, jump back on and try again, repeating until smooth shifting.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    indyP wrote:

A good tip when adjusting the barrel is to do it in small turns, a quarter at a time. Then when out on the bike you can hop off, give it a quick turn, jump back on and try again, repeating until smooth shifting.

It's only the rear that has a barrel adjuster is that correct, as the frame does not have a threaded insert for the front one?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pete54
    Daniel B wrote:
    It's only the rear that has a barrel adjuster is that correct, as the frame does not have a threaded insert for the front one?

You need an in-line adjuster for the front mech.
  • itsnotarace
    Really? I'm sure I read something here that suggested it shouldn't be a problem on modern groupsets?

Well there's nothing to stop you doing it, but you are much more likely to drop your chain off the front mech as the rear changes the chain angle whilst the front is shifting.

Just like hard pedalling during gear shifts - yes you can, but no, you shouldn't
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Daniel B wrote:
    indyP wrote:

Yea you're correct it's just the rear that has a barrel adjuster. The front mech is adjusted by cable tension and by finely tuning the L/H screws. It's pretty straight forward to do though - I taught myself just by reading the Shimano instructions and then doing it.