The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I quite like the red accents. Wonder if red cables to match the saddle would have gone well?

Talking of cables, how are people cabling up on the downtube? Straight pull or crossed?
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    I crossed mine, never tried it before
  • patrickf
    I have them crossed on my current bike. I like the neat cable run around the head tube but I have noticed the cables dig into the guide under the bottom bracket a little.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Finally got around to building mine and promptly ran out of spacers - were there more than 3 in the pack, as I need to fit around 6 till I cut the spacer.

Did you guys cut the steerer or fit some more?
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    6 ? :shock:

What size frame do you have ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • patrickf
    samsbike wrote:
    Finally got around to building mine and promptly ran out of spacers - were there more than 3 in the pack, as I need to fit around 6 till I cut the spacer.

I was hoping that the spacers in the pack would be enough to get me started without having to cut the steerer!

6 spacers seems excessive!
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I had 3 in the pack, but fitting in the forks, stems and spacers I still have a lot of steerer tube left. I was just wondering from the guy who had built the bikes whether they cut them or put in some extra spacers.

It was 6 in total, so the 3 in the pack and then 3 more.
  • patrickf
    tincaman wrote:
    Another one for the road
    Its a 52cm, small, I am 5-7
    Full 105 except crank, which is Ultegra
    Ritchey pro seat post
    Conti Gp4000 with latex inners
    RS80 wheelset
    Weight 17.5lb

2013-06-29%2013.09.01.jpg
    2013-06-29%2013.10.17.jpg
    Is that steerer cut or uncut?

Also you might want to adjust your speed sensor arm so it's down instead of pointing up. It's much less to get in the way of things there and less likely to dig into spokes should the worst happen.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    samsbike wrote:
    I had 3 in the pack, but fitting in the forks, stems and spacers I still have a lot of steerer tube left. I was just wondering from the guy who had built the bikes whether they cut them or put in some extra spacers.

It was 6 in total, so the 3 in the pack and then 3 more.

The steerer is deliberately long. You are expected to cut it to size.
  • markhewitt1978
    patrickf wrote:
    tincaman wrote:
    Another one for the road
    Ritchey pro seat post
    RS80 wheelset
    Weight 17.5lb

Also you might want to adjust your speed sensor arm so it's down instead of pointing up. It's much less to get in the way of things there and less likely to dig into spokes should the worst happen.

The same for the front fork. I was wondering why everyone put theirs facing front when the back would be more aero. Then I realised what would happen if it went out of alignment and caught the spokes!
  • patrickf
    Good spot! Not visible from the pic, but on that note also check the position of the rear QR
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    samsbike wrote:

6 spacers does sound a lot. I thought maximum height is 50cm which includes the headset?
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    You have to cut the steerer first to the height that includes all the spacers (3) and then fine tune your final ride height, then cut again once you're happy. With 6 spacers the steerer tube would be massively unsupported above the headset and you shouldn't ride it like that.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Mine is coming along. They had run out of 52cm by the time I saw them, so went with the XS and am not displeased with 120mm stem. I'm 172cm with 76cm inseam. Saddle height and stem set and steerer cut. Bars are just there for mock up

4bece63ee0f111e2a47422000a9e28eb_7.jpg

Awaiting delivery of cranks today, can't wait to start building. Can't decide on white or silver/grey cables. Any thoughts?
  • galatzo
    I'm a similar height to you and got a small and wondering if I should have gone XS, should find out this afternoon !
    On yours I think a small would have shown too little seatpost, it'll be touch and go on mine if seatpost is going to look too short.... God hurry up Mercian !
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    McBiker wrote:
    glad to help...Hadn't thought of that as an issue but this (very old fashioned) way of achieving a triple, bolting the inner ring directly to the middle, doestn' appeal which is why I went with 105 instead of ultegra...looks like I saved myself alot of grief too!
    Shimano introduced this "triplizer" ring on DuraAce (7800 IIRC)...but I think Stronglite were already there in the 1970s.

Perhaps it would be possible to file down some of the tabs? You know what minimum diameter you need to achieve. Otherwise, Ribble was the cheapest source of 5703 I found 2 weeks ago.

EDIT: I think the BCD is different on the crank mount (5703) to the ring-mounted (6703) so it may not be possible to achieve the clearance required by swapping rings.

Thanks: filing / cutting off the tabs had crossed my mind, but Ribble do a generic 30T tab-less ring with a 74 BCD which will fit so I'll put one of those on.

I don't know why the 30T rings have those inward-pointing tabs on when the bigger rings don't... :?

On a different note, I must admit to have not yet checked whether the frame came with a rear mech hanger - does it, and if not which ones have people bought?

Well I finally got round to having a fettle on Saturday morning. Pressed in the headset cups with the bargain Ebay threaded rod / washer / nut arrangement. Then tried my 105 5603 triple chainset. The weird floral shape of the 30t ring is clearly not going to fit round the BB. :(

So do I attack it with the angle grinder? Find a projection-free 30t chainring? Or use it as an excuse to invoke plan B and build a complete new bike??

I'm liking the idea of plan B more. :D
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I took mine on a 100 mile sportive yesterday and was really pleased with it. I wasn't massively comfortable towards the end, but that comes down to my limited experience of such distances and my set up unrelated to the frame. It handled beautifully, I felt extremely secure on fast descents, it did everything it could to help my horrible climbing, it allowed me to cruise at a good pace, and it glided across the sh*tty Surrey road surfaces as well as anything could have. I honestly feel I've bought a frame that'll do all I want and need it to for several years to come.

These events remind me of how silly it is that I can get obsessed over every last stylistic detail of a bike. For some reason, when you're among countless other riders on various machines, nothing particularly stands out as looking any better than anything else. I even saw a McClaren Venge that looked decidedly meh. I suppose the stupid rider number things they make you put on your bars kills any hope of your bike looking sexy.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    I did my first sportive on Saturday - wiggle long one (was also my first century), 125 miles of hills and the CR1 was phenomenal. Literally couldn't fault it in anyway whatsoever and am so chuffed with the bike
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Also unable to fault the bike.....it just glides over uneven road surfaces :)

Can't decide on white or silver/grey cables. Any thoughts?

If money wasn't a question I would have gone with silver/grey cables as I think they'd look good.
  • SimonInd
    SimonInd Posts: 17
    Had white cables on mine (brought over from previous frame), I've now switched to black which looks much better.
  • indyP wrote:

If money wasn't a question I would have gone with silver/grey cables as I think they'd look good.

Jagwire Road Pro cables come in a lovely "Titanium" flavour, that would look great with that frame.

jagwire_jck00-zoom.jpg
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    patrickf wrote:
    tincaman wrote:
    Another one for the road
    Ritchey pro seat post
    RS80 wheelset
    Weight 17.5lb

Steerer has been cut but more could probably come off. The Garmin speed sensor won't fit with the arm in the downward position
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    indyP wrote:

Jagwire Road Pro cables come in a lovely "Titanium" flavour, that would look great with that frame.

jagwire_jck00-zoom.jpg

I went with the hightec Grey and they look very nice :-)
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Cheers guys, popped to the LBS earlier and they had the Jagwire high tech grey cables in stock so went with that
  • McBiker
    McBiker Posts: 3
    keef66 wrote:
    McBiker wrote:
    glad to help...Hadn't thought of that as an issue but this (very old fashioned) way of achieving a triple, bolting the inner ring directly to the middle, doestn' appeal which is why I went with 105 instead of ultegra...looks like I saved myself alot of grief too!
    Shimano introduced this "triplizer" ring on DuraAce (7800 IIRC)...but I think Stronglite were already there in the 1970s.

Perhaps it would be possible to file down some of the tabs? You know what minimum diameter you need to achieve. Otherwise, Ribble was the cheapest source of 5703 I found 2 weeks ago.

EDIT: I think the BCD is different on the crank mount (5703) to the ring-mounted (6703) so it may not be possible to achieve the clearance required by swapping rings.

Thanks: filing / cutting off the tabs had crossed my mind, but Ribble do a generic 30T tab-less ring with a 74 BCD which will fit so I'll put one of those on.

I don't know why the 30T rings have those inward-pointing tabs on when the bigger rings don't... :?

On a different note, I must admit to have not yet checked whether the frame came with a rear mech hanger - does it, and if not which ones have people bought?

Well I finally got round to having a fettle on Saturday morning. Pressed in the headset cups with the bargain Ebay threaded rod / washer / nut arrangement. Then tried my 105 5603 triple chainset. The weird floral shape of the 30t ring is clearly not going to fit round the BB. :(

So do I attack it with the angle grinder? Find a projection-free 30t chainring? Or use it as an excuse to invoke plan B and build a complete new bike??

I'm liking the idea of plan B more. :D

Suggest the angle grinder may be overkill :o
    Hacksaw and finish with a file...shimano chainrings are after all made mainly of cheese.

maybe someone who understands engineering might suggest whether there's any structural relevance to these projections...? I assumed it was associated with the mounting bolts, but if present on the older 5603 with direct mount to the crank this can't be the case.
  • markhewitt1978
    Interesting that someone taller than me would have a XS frame when I'm on 52. tbh I guess I could have gone smaller as I don't have much seat post showing and an 80mm stem.
  • markhewitt1978
    I know what you mean about obsessing about the details of a build. My stem had a silver grey faceplate on it but I found an old one which was black so swapped it so it looks better now.

Changes I'd like to make are white cables to black. And white&red saddle to black.

But; nobody will notice or even care how my bike looks. But I care and that's what's important!
  • galatzo
    I've got mine............ :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I set 9 strava achievements today in just 51 miles including a new KOM, that's nothing to be sniffed at because it was really windy and the route lumpy.

It IS about the bike :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I picked mine up from Condor tonight. Here's a few pictures:

9186571964_2fe1c192c6.jpg

9186568384_d3e9a99642.jpg

9186566996_29812c3754.jpg

9186565684_847bef20fb.jpg

To say I'm pleased with it is an understatement. It's absolutely superb.