The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    its a bloody good job i keep the hammers in my man-cave out of easy reach because this afternoon when i had to abort my ride in favour of more ShimaNO 105 5700 rear mech indexing i could quite easily smashed the living shit out of everything nearby :evil: :twisted: :evil:

What engineering TOOL signed 5700 off as fit for the consumer market :evil:

what sort of QA process must they have? oh yes it doesnt matter if shifting is so random you cant tell if you're changing one or two gears at a time and this time it'll shift next time maybe not.

ha ha what fun!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    itboffin wrote:
    its a bloody good job i keep the hammers in my man-cave out of easy reach because this afternoon when i had to abort my ride in favour of more ShimaNO 105 5700 rear mech indexing i could quite easily smashed the living shoot out of everything nearby :evil: :twisted: :evil:

What engineering TOOL signed 5700 off as fit for the consumer market :evil:

what sort of QA process must they have? oh yes it doesnt matter if shifting is so random you cant tell if you're changing one or two gears at a time and this time it'll shift next time maybe not.

ha ha what fun!

Oh the feeling after though having smashed up that lovely frame! They will definately index properly once set-up but they do take a bit of playing around with when new :)
  • itboffin
    I rode Ultegra di2 last month and even well set up its sucks hairy balls compared to campag, plus who decided that pushing a tiny metal/carbon/plastic lever was so much effort that it needed to be made electronic ????

seriously the most useless bit of bicycle engineering since the invention of the velo, buuut I'm guessing ShimaNO have an ulterior motive, i think when they decided to hide the gear cabling they found it so difficult to achieve smooth shifting that they had to invent auto trimming to enable semi smooth changes.

It's truly awful
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    but EPS is necessary?

you are the worst kind of fanboy
  • itboffin
    spasypaddy wrote:
    but EPS is necessary?

you are the worst kind of fanboy

If your bike is fettling itself then more than half the fun has been taken away.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    itboffin wrote:

I'm quite concerned now, seeing as you know what your doing and I do not, so if you cannot get it working..... :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    oh i have it working for now at least and as i keep saying its a PITA

if you can wait until the week after next you're more than welcome to come over here and do your build, whilst i watch and laugh of course :lol:
  • itboffin
    Had to keep stopping to fettle the bike and almost missed my train, bloody thing
  • turnstyle
    turnstyle Posts: 63
    Cheers guys!

I was a bit worried about the white saddle/bars too so I bought both. Really happy I stuck with white though. I was also tossing up whether to go Ultegra or Dura Ace but decided to treat myself when I saw the price for it at Merlin. Got a pair of new C35s coming soon too which should work well with the silver/black colour scheme. Came in at just over 7kgs too which most of that is wheels i'm guessing.

Only had time so far to take it for a quick 10k run around the block and PB'd everything just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Probably more to do with me being excited than the bike itself. It didn't feel too much different to my Felt F4, but i'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to take it out to the hills.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    turnstyle wrote:
    . I was also tossing up whether to go Ultegra or Dura Ace but decided to treat myself when I saw the price for it at Merlin.

Well; it would be rude not to ;)
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    itboffin wrote:
    Had to keep stopping to fettle the bike and almost missed my train, bloody thing

This is rapidly turning into the 'ITB can't operate Shimano' thread. MTFU :lol:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • SimonInd
    SimonInd Posts: 17
    For those who want an easy life, of which I count myself, I can highly recommend an Ultegra compact (£125) with whatever gears you want. I'm running late 00's Campag Centaur and it works a treat without the need to swap out the BB.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    simonlnd wrote:
    I can highly recommend an Ultegra compact

Pity Shimano's chainsets are so ugly though...
  • scottarm
    scottarm Posts: 119
    Just finished my daughrts build all finished for under a grand, nice bit of kit!!

bike001.jpg bike002.jpg
  • markhewitt1978
    Lovely! Nice to see a bit of colour! But; drive side please ;)
  • itboffin
    Mine's currently locked up at a country train station 100 miles away, what could possibly go wrong :?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    itboffin wrote:
    Mine's currently locked up at a country train station 100 miles away, what could possibly go wrong :?

Sweet baby Jesus! Our youngest used to lock his bike up at Newmarket station when he was going to 6th form college, and I lost track of the number of times I had to go and rescue him and whatever was left of the bike :shock:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I guess this is why they are flooding the CR1s onto the market: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... kes-37751/
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Anyone suffering with slight play in the headset?

Every ride it seem it loosens a minute amount but enough to feel under braking. I've stripped it down twice now to no avail.

Westbrook confirmed I had all the correct parts. The only thing I can see is supplied Scoot spacer doesn't sit flush on bearing cover and this is where the play comes from.
  • markhewitt1978
    Asprilla wrote:
    I guess this is why they are flooding the CR1s onto the market: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... kes-37751/

Interesing, so, no more CR1's then. Shame really.
  • itboffin
    keef66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Sweet baby Jesus! Our youngest used to lock his bike up at Newmarket station when he was going to 6th form college, and I lost track of the number of times I had to go and rescue him and whatever was left of the bike :shock:

I know but i need to get some saddle time on the damn thing before i take it to the Alps next week and of course do something about the rear indexing.
  • markhewitt1978
    itboffin wrote:
    I know but i need to get some saddle time on the damn thing before i take it to the Alps next week and of course do something about the rear indexing.

You hope you're taking to the Alps, perhaps whoever has the bike now has other ideas ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Anyone suffering with slight play in the headset?

Every ride it seem it loosens a minute amount but enough to feel under braking. I've stripped it down twice now to no avail.

Westbrook confirmed I had all the correct parts. The only thing I can see is supplied Scoot spacer doesn't sit flush on bearing cover and this is where the play comes from.

My headset is very loose indeed. It's still in it's plastic bag in the box. Hoping to get round to it at the weekend...
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    itboffin wrote:

You hope you're taking to the Alps, perhaps whoever has the bike now has other ideas ;)
    And whoever has it now has probably also indexed the RD properly too :twisted:
  • Adam_G
    Adam_G Posts: 35
    Interesing, so, no more CR1's then. Shame really.

I suspect the main reason is Di2. These frames will have been built maybe 18 months ago, and I suspect they've seen how successful Di2 has been - particularly Ultegra, a big seller on ready-built bikes - and made a decision that all the frames they produce should be compatible with both mechanical and electronic groupsets. It's far more cost effective to have a standard product range.

Probably exactly the same reason that there were all those half price Cervelos at the back end of last year.

I've benefited from both - I've got no intention of going electronic in the foreseeable future, so I've now got a lovely R5 and a CR1 SL for a LOT less than RRP. :D
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Been wondering which seat post to use and found an old 27.2 Easton EC70 with a metal shim on it. Looked on Wiggle for a lighter shim and on reading the reviews one stated

"Very light and well made. However bought to use with a 27.2mm seatpost in a new scott CR1 frame which needs a 31.6mm seatpost. Unfortunately the frame states that only 31.6mm seatposts must be used, and shims are not recommended. Returned as a result."

Is anyone using a post with a shim and is it ok ?
    Do you think most manufacturers recommend against using posts with shims on their frames ?
    Surely it's as easy to over tighten a badly made 31.6 seatpost as it is a 27.2 with a shim ?
    So would you use one or are you using one ?
    FWIW I'd only have approx. 15cm of post showing from seatpost clamp to saddle rails.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    CR1 Pro turned up this afternoon and I've a few build questions, mainly grease/carbon assembly paste related.

I think I read in this thread that the headset cups/bearings can go on dry, no grease/paste required. Correct? It's a slightly different headset than the SLs come with in that the cups/bearings are one unit. I may yet get lbs to do the headset and cut the steerer.

Assembly paste is needed for the seat tube, then grease everywhere else you'd usually use it right? Or are there any other places I need to use assembly paste?
    Ta!
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Also, anyone with the pro know if those deda dog fangs fit?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Asprilla wrote:

The new Solace? Is it just me? So, Scott now has an Addict, a Foil and a Solace. I suppose I understand what CR is short for...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    vermin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

The new Solace? Is it just me? So, Scott now has an Addict, a Foil and a Solace. I suppose I understand what CR is short for...

Dole it out cheap to hook your user base and then jack the prices up. Classic.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX