The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• Forgive the stupid question but if you buy a SRAM group do you have to change the bottom bracket that Westbrook supplied?

Yes, you will.

OK, I'm going Shimano, can't be rsed with changing that BB.... Haven't even started on mine yet!

An LBS could do it in minutes. Anyway, go Campag. I even have a spare set of BB cups you can have for a tenner to my fundraising account.

Yep, GXP are fine on the drive side (24mm spindle), but the NDS is 2mm thinner for reasons best know to SRAM. You can get a shim which may help:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26899
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Forgive the stupid question but if you buy a SRAM group do you have to change the bottom bracket that Westbrook supplied?

Yes, you will.

OK, I'm going Shimano, can't be rsed with changing that BB.... Haven't even started on mine yet!

An LBS could do it in minutes. Anyway, go Campag. I even have a spare set of BB cups you can have for a tenner to my fundraising account.
    Hmmm... I'm torn. I was going to go for Ultegra but perhaps I should go SRAM Force or Campag... Not sure what the Campag equivalent is to Ultegra... Chorus seems to be much more expensive (and therefore better?) than Ultegra. I haven't got much experience with Campag although my dad, who does my fettling, thinks it's better than Shimano. Getting down to brass tacks then, why would Campag (or SRAM) be better than the Shimano I know and love?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Don't know if anyone is still looking for a groupset for their CR1, but Merlin have 10% off selected groupsets, including SRAM Apex and 105 Black.

3% cashback through quidco too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Daniel B wrote:
    Don't know if anyone is still looking for a groupset for their CR1, but Merlin have 10% off selected groupsets, including SRAM Apex and 105 Black.

I am but I was hoping to go a bit further up the ladder than 105/Apex
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Heretic alert...

I was intending to move all my Ultegra triple bits onto the frame, but attempting to fit the crankset last night it won't go on. Rather it won't go on far enough as the shell around the BB is too big for the inner chain ring to fit over. Old bike had screw on external BB bearings which were obviously bigger than the frame it screwed on to, with this press-fit BB going into a bigger frame it looks like I'm fecked... :shock: :(

Either this is The Almighty telling me to MTFU and go compact* or I need a newer Ultegra triple crank - but 6600 is hardly ancient is it? Surely Scott wouldn't a) knowingly make a frame that wouldn't take a triple crank or b) make a frame and not realise that a triple crank wouldn't fit? Or is it that the frame is so top-end that they didn't think anyone would be daft enough to want to fit a triple to it? :lol:

*Being slightly facetious - I know there's knack-all difference between gear sizes etc...
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Daniel B wrote:

They have good discounts on all groupsets by the looks of it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I even have a spare set of BB cups you can have for a tenner to my fundraising account.

May I please?! I will be Campagifying mine - this might help me get off my aris and get the thing lacquered so I can begin my desperately slow build! I fully expect to be reviving this thread in late 2014.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Daniel B wrote:

I had my heart set on the grey Ultegra 6700, but was won over by a £220 saving that I reckon I can invest in better wheels.
    I also gather it is not long until the ultegra 6800 comes into stock, so in all likelihood, I'm not sure there are going to be much in the way of hot deals on the grey 6700 - I'm going to keep an eye out though!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    For those of you who rarely if ever RTFM and are thinking of fitting newer shimaNO ie 5700 and upwards then do yourself a masshoof favour read the rear indexing instructions. It's seems their newer models with hidden cabling are way more sensitive to setup FAIL.

Or just buy campag and embrace the simple style and coolness that follows, also your avg speed and climbing ability will increase at least 20% chicks will also find you more attractive.

FACT
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Rolf F wrote:
    I even have a spare set of BB cups you can have for a tenner to my fundraising account.

May I please?! I will be Campagifying mine - this might help me get off my aris and get the thing lacquered so I can begin my desperately slow build! I fully expect to be reviving this thread in late 2014.......

You may, PM replied to.
  • jonny_trousers
    Forgive the stupid question but if you buy a SRAM group do you have to change the bottom bracket that Westbrook supplied?

Yes, you will.

Hmmm... I'm torn. I was going to go for Ultegra but perhaps I should go SRAM Force or Campag... Not sure what the Campag equivalent is to Ultegra... Chorus seems to be much more expensive (and therefore better?) than Ultegra. I haven't got much experience with Campag although my dad, who does my fettling, thinks it's better than Shimano. Getting down to brass tacks then, why would Campag (or SRAM) be better than the Shimano I know and love?

I'm not sure about weight difference, but Ultegra is going to be equivalent to Centaur or Athena. The problem with either of those two groupsets now is that you can no longer shift more than one sprocket at a time so you may as well go with Shim/Sram. I've also heard the BB bearings in Campag Power Torque are a sod to service.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    itboffin wrote:
    Or just buy campag and embrace the simple style and coolness that follows, also your avg speed and climbing ability will increase at least 20% chicks will also find you more attractive.

FACT

I believed you up until that point. I can't see how that's possible. :shock:
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    itboffin wrote:

FACT
    All with a money back guarantee? :lol:
  • markhewitt1978
    Was just looking at the Scott website and it seems they don't make the 'SL' any more? All CR1's are HMF carbon with the HMX being reserved for the Foil bikes.

Even more upsetting to have lost out now ;)
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    I'm not sure about weight difference, but Ultegra is going to be equivalent to Centaur or Athena. The problem with either of those two groupsets now is that you can no longer shift more than one sprocket at a time so you may as well go with Shim/Sram. I've also heard the BB bearings in Campag Power Torque are a sod to service.

Really? My Centaur happily cruises through three sprockets at the back when it's meant to. Might agree with the bearings though, I would rather just have a BB unit to service/replace rather than having splashed out the £100 on tools to service them...
  • jonny_trousers
    tetm wrote:

Really? My Centaur happily cruises through three sprockets at the back when it's meant to. Might agree with the bearings though, I would rather just have a BB unit to service/replace rather than having splashed out the £100 on tools to service them...

You sure you don't have ultra torque shifters?
  • tetm
    tetm wrote:

Very sure, 2011 Centaur Power-Shift ergos.

Also, on the Campag website about Athena:
    Campagnolo wrote:
    The performance features are top of the line thanks to Power-Shift™ technology which enables multiple upshifting (3 gears) and single downshifting
  • I think the older ones allowed multiple downshifts too. Or maybe I just made that up.
  • tetm
    I think the older ones allowed multiple downshifts too. Or maybe I just made that up.

Yep, and trimming on the front derailleur.
  • jonny_trousers
    tetm wrote:
    tetm wrote:

Very sure, 2011 Centaur Power-Shift ergos.

Also, on the Campag website about Athena:
    Campagnolo wrote:
    The performance features are top of the line thanks to Power-Shift™ technology which enables multiple upshifting (3 gears) and single downshifting

Ah, there's me putting 2 and 2 together again. I do think multiple down shifts are just as useful as multiple upshifts, though, and I'm so glad the money saved on the CR1 meant I could justify the extra for Chorus.
  • markhewitt1978
    What do you mean by down and up? As my shifters can shift 2x into a smaller gear - even though cog is physically bigger.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What do you mean by down and up? As my shifters can shift 2x into a smaller gear - even though cog is physically bigger.

Powertorque - you can shift through several gears at once using the paddles and one gear at a time using the buttons.
    Ultratorque - you can shift through several gears at once both using the paddles and using the buttons.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tetm
    Rolf F wrote:

Powertorque - you can shift through several gears at once using the paddles and one gear at a time using the buttons.
    Ultratorque - you can shift through several gears at once both using the paddles and using the buttons.

This^

The website says:

Power-Shift: upshift by three sprockets at a time or downshift by one with just a single action..
    Ultra-Shift: 3-sprocket upshifting, and 5-sprocket downshifting in one single stroke.

But not too sure if they've got the up and down confused in one of the statements... which way is up?!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Y'all need EPS in your life. Shifting perfection.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i agree but from the shimano side of the fence.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    tetm wrote:
    But not too sure if they've got the up and down confused in one of the statements... which way is up?!

"Up" is always to a "faster" gear (a smaller rear cog)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488

I wish. Looking forward to taking my first step into the world of Campagnolo with Chorus 11-speed on my Scott. That made a big dent in my bank balance, but I have a feeling it's going to be worth it.
  • jonny_trousers

If only I could afford it.

I'm definitely finding I need to trim a lot more on the 11 speed Chorus than I did on the 10 speed Veloce/Centaur, but then at least you can, and perhaps I just wasn't using so many gears before.

While we're having a Campag love-in. There's really nice blue lettering on the crank arms of my Chorus (maybe it's on all of their groupsets these days) that would look great if it could be matched elsewhere on the bike.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Here is mine, finished for now as I'm too skint to upgrade to the finishing kit I'd like - 3T Carbon LTD (grey/silver). I still have the steerer to cut which I'll do this week as I'm happy with position. Being ultra picky, I'd like to lose the red on saddle plus to trim a bit more off the cable outers.

I love the bike. It handles very well on fast descents and the ride is really smooth over uneven surfaces, for me it is anyway :)
  • tetm
    There's really nice blue lettering on the crank arms of my Chorus (maybe it's on all of their groupsets these days) that would look great if it could be matched elsewhere on the bike.

That's definitely not the blue protective film that comes on them when new?!