The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Heretic alert...

I was intending to move all my Ultegra triple bits onto the frame, but attempting to fit the crankset last night it won't go on. Rather it won't go on far enough as the shell around the BB is too big for the inner chain ring to fit over. Old bike had screw on external BB bearings which were obviously bigger than the frame it screwed on to, with this press-fit BB going into a bigger frame it looks like I'm fecked... :shock: :(

Either this is The Almighty telling me to MTFU and go compact* or I need a newer Ultegra triple crank - but 6600 is hardly ancient is it? Surely Scott wouldn't a) knowingly make a frame that wouldn't take a triple crank or b) make a frame and not realise that a triple crank wouldn't fit? Or is it that the frame is so top-end that they didn't think anyone would be daft enough to want to fit a triple to it? :lol:

*Being slightly facetious - I know there's knack-all difference between gear sizes etc...

Oh bugger! I was glibly assuming my 5603 105 triple would fit. You sure about this? Googling I can see lots of CR1's with triple cranksets, frequently Ultegra, but none of them SL's. Is the BB area on the SL chunkier than on the Pro?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    indyP wrote:
    Here is mine, finished for now as I'm too skint to upgrade to the finishing kit I'd like - 3T Carbon LTD (grey/silver). I still have the steerer to cut which I'll do this week as I'm happy with position. Being ultra picky, I'd like to lose the red on saddle plus to trim a bit more off the cable outers.

I love the bike. It handles very well on fast descents and the ride is really smooth over uneven surfaces, for me it is anyway :)

Very nice!

I took mine out again yesterday and it really was an absolute pleasure. I'm still heavier and not as in shape as I was this time last year and I managed countless Strava PBs. It does sound like I'm carrying a tin of wasps whenever I'm riding over poor road surfaces, but I have the donuts on order.
  • jonny_trousers
    tetm wrote:
    There's really nice blue lettering on the crank arms of my Chorus (maybe it's on all of their groupsets these days) that would look great if it could be matched elsewhere on the bike.

That's definitely not the blue protective film that comes on them when new?!

Oh! :lol::lol::lol: I'd better go check :oops:
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    indyP wrote:
    Here is mine, finished for now as I'm too skint to upgrade to the finishing kit I'd like - 3T Carbon LTD (grey/silver). I still have the steerer to cut which I'll do this week as I'm happy with position. Being ultra picky, I'd like to lose the red on saddle plus to trim a bit more off the cable outers.

I love the bike. It handles very well on fast descents and the ride is really smooth over uneven surfaces, for me it is anyway :)

Very nice - looks like an XL - mine should be built by Sunday (indexing willing) as the wheels arrive tmrw. Will see how it feels in the Peak District on Sunday pm...
  • keef66 wrote:
    Heretic alert...

I was intending to move all my Ultegra triple bits onto the frame, but attempting to fit the crankset last night it won't go on. Rather it won't go on far enough as the shell around the BB is too big for the inner chain ring to fit over. Old bike had screw on external BB bearings which were obviously bigger than the frame it screwed on to, with this press-fit BB going into a bigger frame it looks like I'm fecked... :shock: :(

Either this is The Almighty telling me to MTFU and go compact* or I need a newer Ultegra triple crank - but 6600 is hardly ancient is it? Surely Scott wouldn't a) knowingly make a frame that wouldn't take a triple crank or b) make a frame and not realise that a triple crank wouldn't fit? Or is it that the frame is so top-end that they didn't think anyone would be daft enough to want to fit a triple to it? :lol:

*Being slightly facetious - I know there's knack-all difference between gear sizes etc...

Oh bugger! I was glibly assuming my 5603 105 triple would fit. You sure about this? Googling I can see lots of CR1's with triple cranksets, frequently Ultegra, but none of them SL's. Is the BB area on the SL chunkier than on the Pro?

There appear to be two version of the Pro, one with a mahoosive BB, as per the SL, and another with a regular, threaded BB. My guess would be that the triple would only work on the latter.
  • jonny_trousers
    tetm wrote:
    There's really nice blue lettering on the crank arms of my Chorus (maybe it's on all of their groupsets these days) that would look great if it could be matched elsewhere on the bike.

Oh god, I'm such a gimp! Is it too late to say I was only joking? :oops:
  • tetm wrote:

Much too late!!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Looks good, I've decided to drop the bundled shimano cables as the drag on the cables is not great. Especially the rear brake, that feels awful. Ordered the Jagwire Racer Pro set from fleabay. Will redo the cabling this weekend.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    keef66 wrote:
    Heretic alert...

There appear to be two version of the Pro, one with a mahoosive BB, as per the SL, and another with a regular, threaded BB. My guess would be that the triple would only work on the latter.

Don't know if the BB area is chunkier than on the Pro, but it's definitely too chunky for a 30 tooth ring to fit over... it never even crossed my mind when ordering the frame that it wouldn't take a triple... :oops: too bad those FSA Mega Exo compact cranks are going cheap on Planet X :wink: Just need to sell the extra expenditure to SWMBO...
  • pollys_bott
    indyP wrote:

Very nice! Especially taken by your choice of bottle cages, excellent colour matching :lol:
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    indyP wrote:

Very nice!

I took mine out again yesterday and it really was an absolute pleasure. I'm still heavier and not as in shape as I was this time last year and I managed countless Strava PBs. It does sound like I'm carrying a tin of wasps whenever I'm riding over poor road surfaces, but I have the donuts on order.

Thanks, I'm happy with the way it's turned out :)
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    The question is though is the FSA chainset on Planet X much better than the Force chainset? Assuming the rest of the components will be Force too.
  • indyp
    indyP wrote:

Very nice! Especially taken by your choice of bottle cages, excellent colour matching :lol:

Cheers :) They're only £8.95 each at JEJames Cycles.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Koncordski wrote:
    Looks good, I've decided to drop the bundled shimano cables as the drag on the cables is not great. Especially the rear brake, that feels awful. Ordered the Jagwire Racer Pro set from fleabay. Will redo the cabling this weekend.

Which colour have you gone for ? I am thinking about something a little different to spruce up the colour scheme.
  • turnstyle
    turnstyle Posts: 63
    edited June 2013
    Got mine built up this week. Pretty happy with the way it turned out.

1012117_10151987794227004_1203078690_n.jpg
  • indyp
    Origamist wrote:
    indyP wrote:

Very nice - looks like an XL - mine should be built by Sunday (indexing willing) as the wheels arrive tmrw. Will see how it feels in the Peak District on Sunday pm...

Thanks :) It is indeed a 58cm XL size frame - I've found it a perfect fit for my 6ft 2 and half height.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    tetm wrote:

How does this compare to your finest hour?
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    turnstyle wrote:

Looks good with the white saddle and bar tape, needs something to lift it I think.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    pete54 wrote:
    turnstyle wrote:

Looks good with the white saddle and bar tape, needs something to lift it I think.

Strange because mine has a white saddle and I'm thinking of swapping it for black as it looks a bit out of place.
  • pollys_bott
    turnstyle wrote:

There have been many beautiful bikes shown on here, that for me is the cream of the crop...
  • indyp
    pete54 wrote:
    turnstyle wrote:

Strange because mine has a white saddle and I'm thinking of swapping it for black as it looks a bit out of place.

Personally, I like the white saddle as long as it's matched with same colour bar tape.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    turnstyle wrote:

bloody hell, with 9000 on it. looks immense.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    edited June 2013

Yes, it looks out of place with black bar tape, saddle and tape need to match. Getting a roll of white bar tape will be cheaper than a new saddle.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited June 2013
    pete54 wrote:
    IndyP wrote:

Yes, it looks out of place with black bar tape, saddle and tape need to match. Getting a roll of white bar tape will be cheaper than a new saddle as well.

I had white bar tape originally but changed it to black because the white was already starting to look grubby after a few hundred miles. I really like the black tape, looks nicer than the white IMO.
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    spasypaddy wrote:
    turnstyle wrote:

Nice! Bikes always look better with big saddle-bar-drops, horizontal stems and semi-deep section wheels!
  • jonny_trousers
    tetm wrote:
    tetm wrote:

How does this compare to your finest hour?

It's up there.
  • jonny_trousers
    damitamit wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    turnstyle wrote:

Nice! Bikes always look better with big saddle-bar-drops, horizontal stems and semi-deep section wheels!

Totally agree. Apart from mine, obviously, I'd say that's the nicest looking build so far.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    tetm wrote:
    I think the older ones allowed multiple downshifts too. Or maybe I just made that up.

Yep, and trimming on the front derailleur.

try and find 2009-10 centaur UT, its identical to Chorus and yes its allows multiple shifting, trimming and my fav feature dropping the whole cassette by holding down the thumb lever, nice when you nail Greg66 over the top of an Alpine col leaving for dust in your wake :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    frazered wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:

Which colour have you gone for ? I am thinking about something a little different to spruce up the colour scheme.

I've ordered black for the stealth look but i have a feeling the lime green one would look pretty sweet.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Koncordski wrote:
    frazered wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:

I've ordered black for the stealth look but i have a feeling the lime green one would look pretty sweet.

I've gone for yellow :shock:

Bagged it via Flubit through Tredz for a smidge over £20.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18