The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Dozzina wrote:
    Build went smooth, Sram Red throughout taken from the previous bike, new bar tape and jagwires were added. .

I'm 5'11 on a good day, 56cm frame - have got a 130 stem coming (currently a 120 on it).

Bargain.

Very nice but not sure on the white.

5'11" and a 130mm stem?? :shock:

I'm liking the white. I might go that way myself if I can pick up a decent second hand Romin Evo Pro in white. That grey bar tape Condor used to do could look really nice if someone did a saddle with a splash of grey in it.

As for the stem length. I had the same reaction. Maybe Dozzina has a crazy long torso.

There's no two ways about it: deepish section carbon rims look sexiest. I may have to get some even though I have absolutely no reason to need them :)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    dhope wrote:
    Seemingly back in stock. Shhh, don't tell everyone.

Website says Out of Stock to me at the moment...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    davis wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Seemingly back in stock. Shhh, don't tell everyone.

Website says Out of Stock to me at the moment...

Hmm, weird. And all the sizes have vanished. Maybe I snuck in while they were editing the stock...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    spasypaddy wrote:
    do you work for rapha?

Me? Nope.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    dhope wrote:
    Hmm, weird. And all the sizes have vanished. Maybe I snuck in while they were editing the stock...

Yeah, got a feeling this happened and your order will be cancelled - same thing occurred with the Addict R15, showing all sizes back in stock. Missus just bought a(nother) in a 52 to replace the one written off when she got hit by a van, think she's going to be disappointed.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:

Yeah, got a feeling this happened and your order will be cancelled - same thing occurred with the Addict R15, showing all sizes back in stock. Missus just bought a(nother) in a 52 to replace the one written off when she got hit by a van, think she's going to be disappointed.
    Just refunded. Bah...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Ditto :( Doubt we're going to be able to find an Addict in a 52 for a reasonable deal anywhere :(
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Dozzina wrote:
    Build went smooth, Sram Red throughout taken from the previous bike, new bar tape and jagwires were added. .

I'm 5'11 on a good day, 56cm frame - have got a 130 stem coming (currently a 120 on it).

Bargain.

I'm liking the white. I might go that way myself if I can pick up a decent second hand Romin Evo Pro in white. That grey bar tape Condor used to do could look really nice if someone did a saddle with a splash of grey in it.

As for the stem length. I had the same reaction. Maybe Dozzina has a crazy long torso.

There's no two ways about it: deepish section carbon rims look sexiest. I may have to get some even though I have absolutely no reason to need them :)

:lol: only going for white so you can keep the 3T stem! :wink:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    damitamit wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    do you work for rapha?

Me? Nope.
    no Dozzina
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Dozzina wrote:

Bargain.

:lol: only going for white so you can keep the 3T stem! :wink:

Well it would make the decision easier, I guess. I think I'm going to leave it as is for now and then maybe go with Fizik bar and stem when they finally get around to releasing them. My seatpost looks the business.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Before
    9094192376_4dc95e03f4_z.jpg

After
    9094188980_7a42b07a45_z.jpg

Got my Pro frame back from the LBS and had a first ride this morning.

As well as the new frame I needed a new front mech, seat post and the bar tape was changed. Other than that everything is off my Trek Madone 2.1. I'll change the stem to black eventually but I'm in no hurry.

Slightly disappointment to find that the weight is exactly the same as my old bike! The LBS even commented that my old frame was really light. So my ideas of having a super light bike are out of the window for now :(

Out on the road. I took it for the same 15 mile loop I'd done a week before on my Trek for comparison. First thoughts are that you can notice the stiffness, far more power is transferred from the cranks to the back wheel, and secondly it feels like cycling wearing slippers after going barefoot! It's hard to explain but the ride of the bike makes me want to keep pedalling where on my Trek I might have eased off.

All this shows up in the results. Despite having to stop twice to adjust my seat my time over the 15 mile loop was 5 minutes faster and I set PB on every segment!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Are you sure that's not the negative of the same picture?
  • Adam_G
    Adam_G Posts: 35
    Looking good Mark! Madones are nice light frames, even if the Scott is 10% lighter, it's only 100gms or so - I saved more than that when I changed from Conti Gatorskins to Pro4 Service Course!

Your wheels are probably the next thing to upgrade if you want to save weight. And you could always remove the wheel reflectors and rear-wheel chain guard to save a few more grams... :)
  • Dozzina
    Dozzina Posts: 44
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Dozzina wrote:

Bargain.

:D I had just bought new white bar tape before purchasing this frame and so didn't fancy wasting a couple of £ re-wrapping in black. End of summer will be a new black saddle and black bar tape (fizik dark grey might be nice).

Monkey arms = longer stem. I don't work for Rapha, although wouldn't mind a job with them tbh.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Just had a flubit offer back on an Ultegra compact groupset from Merlin.

£570 instead of £585...... I was of course hoping for more.

I also notice that ribble have it for 550 but are out of stock. Any places I have missed?

As I have an unused 105 compact chainset I was contemplating purchasing the shifters, brakes, cables, bb etc for the other cr1, but a quick scan and it appears to only weigh in at £40 or £50 less that way, so would seem I am likely better off to flog it and by an entire groupset.

As I am likely to be spending 1k on either a 105 and an Ultegra, or two Ultegras, and am in no real hurry, I think I will bide my time and hopefully wait for a decent 10% off code for either merlin or ribble.
    Reasonably successful sounding plan?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    damitamit wrote:
    They've sent you a whole new headset (did the same for me). So you only now need bits 4,6,7,8,9,13 from the original package.

The replacement FSA they sent is actually lighter than the Ritchey Carbon jobbie

Thanks
  • markhewitt1978
    I assume you can fit 700x25c tyres to this bike? As it is a Roubaix bike after all! I'm running Conti 23c but the clearance through the rear brake stays seems really tight.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    They got a new lot of CR! Pro in stock! Please people buy them all up! I don't want it!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I assume you can fit 700x25c tyres to this bike? As it is a Roubaix bike after all! I'm running Conti 23c but the clearance through the rear brake stays seems really tight.

I've got 25mm tyres on 23mm rims on mine. No problems.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Daniel B wrote:
    Just had a flubit offer back on an Ultegra compact groupset from Merlin.

£570 instead of £585...... I was of course hoping for more.

I also notice that ribble have it for 550 but are out of stock. Any places I have missed?

As I have an unused 105 compact chainset I was contemplating purchasing the shifters, brakes, cables, bb etc for the other cr1, but a quick scan and it appears to only weigh in at £40 or £50 less that way, so would seem I am likely better off to flog it and by an entire groupset.

As I am likely to be spending 1k on either a 105 and an Ultegra, or two Ultegras, and am in no real hurry, I think I will bide my time and hopefully wait for a decent 10% off code for either merlin or ribble.
    Reasonably successful sounding plan?

Unless you bought my 5600 105 groupset i'm selling :wink:

I'll do you an excellent 'commuting' deal too
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Not a CR1 but bought in the same sale so I am posting a pic of my Addict RC.
    Got it built today and commuted home on it.

First impression is that its a flying machine. Not too many PR's but that's because I start in london and head out but once in the more open roads it just takes off. No exaggeration when I say my cruising speed is 2-3 mph faster on this.

Full details..
    Addict RC 2010 HTC Highroad edition
    105 Groupset
    Mavic Krysium Elite with GP4000 tyres
    Deda 01 and RHM 01 Stem and Bars
    Charge Spoon Saddle and SPD (Thinking these may have to be upgraded at some point

Even with a budget build I think it comes in around the 7kg mark!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Before
    9094192376_4dc95e03f4_z.jpg

After
    9094188980_7a42b07a45_z.jpg

Got my Pro frame back from the LBS and had a first ride this morning.

As well as the new frame I needed a new front mech, seat post and the bar tape was changed. Other than that everything is off my Trek Madone 2.1. I'll change the stem to black eventually but I'm in no hurry.

Slightly disappointment to find that the weight is exactly the same as my old bike! The LBS even commented that my old frame was really light. So my ideas of having a super light bike are out of the window for now :(

Out on the road. I took it for the same 15 mile loop I'd done a week before on my Trek for comparison. First thoughts are that you can notice the stiffness, far more power is transferred from the cranks to the back wheel, and secondly it feels like cycling wearing slippers after going barefoot! It's hard to explain but the ride of the bike makes me want to keep pedalling where on my Trek I might have eased off.

All this shows up in the results. Despite having to stop twice to adjust my seat my time over the 15 mile loop was 5 minutes faster and I set PB on every segment!

Mark - what is the rise on that stem? 10 degrees or more?
  • itboffin
    I started putting mine together tonight, I thought i'd clear up any confusion about how the headset goes together, as its a bit messy.

9086770798_deb617e87d.jpg

Put 14 onto the forks and press down - crown race tool required or a bit of drainage pipe / trip to the LBS
    next goes 1 + 2 into the top and bottom of the head tube, they look the same size to me, mine are very tight so i'll get the LBS to fit them when i get the steerer cut.
    after the sealed cartridge bearings 15 + 16 fit into those cups (1 + 2) - be sure to put them the right way up.
    insert the forks with 14 fitted into the head tube with the cups + bearings fitted.
    next 5 goes over the top of the forks down to meet the bears
    then slide 10 down to cover and fit the carbon cone headset spacer 8 and any additional spacers 6 + 7
    fit a stem over what you have so far plus another spacer if you have one (i've been told that there should be no spacers above the stem, no idea if this is true).

Finally the expanding bung 4 needs to be fitted after the forks have been cut to your length, once they are, put bolt 13 through top cap 9 into bung 4 and tighten a little so it's tight pushing into the forks.

once in the forks tighten to recommended NM check for play and torque everything again to recommended settings.

Simples!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    itboffin wrote:
    i've been told that there should be no spacers above the stem, no idea if this is true
    I heard the opposite. It's good practice to have 1 slim spacer above so the full height of the stem is clamped onto the steerer.
    Doubt it makes a lot of difference though.
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    Finished transferring all the parts from my Isaac Impulse. 6.5kg (14.3lbs)

IMG_2965.JPG
  • itboffin
    Very nice but do those uneven door handles not drive you mad? :roll: :wink:
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    damitamit wrote:
    Finished transferring all the parts from my Isaac Impulse. 6.5kg (14.3lbs)

IMG_2965.JPG

Love it, nice to see how one has turned out with a bit of colour on it or perhaps the picture is just better.
    What seatpost bar and stem do you have there ?
    Is it all Sram Red ?
    Selle Italia SLR saddle ?

Did I say I liked it ? !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • markhewitt1978
    samsbike wrote:
    Mark - what is the rise on that stem? 10 degrees or more?

17 degrees and 80mm. It's what I put on to deal with the reach issues I had with the original 7 deg 90mm stem that came with the bike - I seriously couldn't reach the brakes.

However now I'm more used to road biking I'm considering putting a lower rise stem on, which is why I'm not just buying the black equivalent to that stem straight away, I need to get my fit right first.
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    itboffin wrote:

Bolt 11 is for the dogfang. Anybody know what bolt 12 is for? The rest all makes sense (to me at least :-) )
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    itboffin wrote:
    I started putting mine together tonight, I thought i'd clear up any confusion about how the headset goes together, as its a bit messy.

Put 14 onto the forks and press down - crown race tool required or a bit of drainage pipe / trip to the LBS
    next goes 1 + 2 into the top and bottom of the head tube, they look the same size to me, mine are very tight so i'll get the LBS to fit them when i get the steerer cut.
    after the sealed cartridge bearings 15 + 16 fit into those cups (1 + 2) - be sure to put them the right way up.
    insert the forks with 14 fitted into the head tube with the cups + bearings fitted.
    next 5 goes over the top of the forks down to meet the bears
    then slide 10 down to cover and fit the carbon cone headset spacer 8 and any additional spacers 6 + 7
    fit a stem over what you have so far plus another spacer if you have one (i've been told that there should be no spacers above the stem, no idea if this is true).

Finally the expanding bung 4 needs to be fitted after the forks have been cut to your length, once they are, put bolt 13 through top cap 9 into bung 4 and tighten a little so it's tight pushing into the forks.

once in the forks tighten to recommended NM check for play and torque everything again to recommended settings.

Simples!

Mechanic at Cadence put the bung (no.4) into the steerer and tightened as there is a 10mm (in think) in the bung. Once this was tight he then fitted the top cap and bolt. He told me the top cap doesn't tighten the bung into the fork.

This was the part that had driven me mad as i thought the stem cap bolt would tighten the bung into the fork but this isn't the case.