The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    SimonInd wrote:

Very impressive weight, would you mind sharing details of the components? Mine's 17lbs with Zondas/clinchers, Ritchey WCS bar/stem/post and (strange mix) Ultegra cranks with Centaur derailleurs/cassette/levers.

Build is:

Scott CR1 SL HMX frame and Fork 54cm
    Mavic R-Sys Premium Wheelset
    Mavic Yksion Griplink & Powerlink tyres 23mm
    Michelin latex inner tubes
    SRAM Red Shifters
    SRAM Red Rear & front mechs
    SRAM Red cassette 11-26
    SRAM Red callipers
    Jagwire Pro cableset
    Rotor 3DF Chainset
    Rotor 4130 pressfit bottom bracket
    Stronglight chainrings 110bcd 51t & 34t
    Fizik Arione carbon railed saddle
    Fizik Cyrano Carbon seatpost 31.6mm
    Elite Custom Race matt black cages
    Deda carbon bartape
    Ritchey Axis WCS stem 110mm (to be swapped for 100mm)
    Ritchey WCS Curve Alu bars 42cm
    Look Keo Easy pedals

IMO I think it has to be a high end build to get the best from this frameset. Lower end won't cut the mustard.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    gazzaputt wrote:
    IMO I think it has to be a high end build to get the best from this frameset. Lower end won't cut the mustard.
    Look Keo Easy pedals

Shame on you! :)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    pete54 wrote:
    gazzaputt wrote:
    Look Keo Easy pedals

Shame on you! :)

Yes - after that impressive list, I think I'd have said some high-end Speedplays or something - even if I was going to use the Keos :wink:

My build is far more modest than that but then there's plenty of room for upgrades and it's already a massive step up for my son. Wheels in particular will make a big difference.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mark__gti
    Mark__gti Posts: 177
    If anyone has a small frame they don't want let me know :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Lol! If you think so :lol: Aside from wheels/tyres etc it will make absolutely knack all difference what you put on it - the mustard will be cut either way. Please stop taking BR reviews too seriously! :wink:

@SimonInd. Are you sure your scales are correct. My Look weighs 16lbs at the moment with a heavier frame than the CR1 and wheels that are not really any lighter. Plus current bars are alloy so not exactly the lightest and the groupset is a Record/Centaur mix.

Unless your frame is size extra enormous I suspect your scales might be off a bit.
    Mark__gti wrote:
    If anyone has a small frame they don't want let me know :D

Here you go - still a good price.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scott-CR1-SL-2012-Brand-New-Frameset-Carbon-small-52cm-Frame-Fork-Road-Bike-/151060121991?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item232be28987
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    talking of speedplays and look classic I used both but find the speedplays less comfortable, I think its because my foot moves around too much in them.

I did try out my look carbon pedals I got for xmas last weekend, wow now those feel amazing, feels like such a platform under the foot and the clip is sound is awesome.

I see bike-discount.de are selling them for 90€ as well, I wont tell the wife as she paid over £100 for them :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stevo C
    Stevo C Posts: 132
    Those of you who've already built one up, could you tell me how you fitted the aluminium shells for the headset bearings to the frame please?

Seeing how tight they are, I'm thinking I'll need to make a headset press type of tool tomorrow and press them in. Did you grease the shells first, or assemble them dry?

thanks

Steve
    cheers

Steve
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I use Look Keo Easy as they are light. Even the more expensive carbon ones aren't as light.

Believe me a high spec will make all the difference and it isn't reading reviews it's through riding the bike.
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    Stevo C wrote:
    Those of you who've already built one up, could you tell me how you fitted the aluminium shells for the headset bearings to the frame please?

Seeing how tight they are, I'm thinking I'll need to make a headset press type of tool tomorrow and press them in. Did you grease the shells first, or assemble them dry?

thanks

Steve

Yup they go in like headset cups would, using a headset press (or if you're tight like me then one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADSET-PRESS ... 19dd757f1b). No grease.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    itboffin wrote:
    talking of speedplays and look classic I used both but find the speedplays less comfortable, I think its because my foot moves around too much in them.

I did try out my look carbon pedals I got for xmas last weekend, wow now those feel amazing, feels like such a platform under the foot and the clip is sound is awesome.

I see bike-discount.de are selling them for 90€ as well, I wont tell the wife as she paid over £100 for them :roll:

Is that the Max2 Carbons or the Carbon Blades?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Is that the Max2 Carbons or the Carbon Blades?

I think he is talking blades. They do indeed have an awesome click sound. And they hang beautifully for a clip in.

Wouldn't say I notice the platform being any different to the Max 2 though. Got mine from CRC irrc for £75 in a sale.
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I use Look Keo Easy as they are light. Even the more expensive carbon ones aren't as light.

Key Easy - 120g each. Keo Blade Cromo 115g each. Keo Blade Ti 95g. Keo Max 2 - 130g, Keo Max 2 Carbon - 122g.

Only the Keo Max 2 is heavier than the Easy by more than the weight of a snot jettison. The Carbon is 2g heavier but gives a better platform than the Easy.
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Believe me a high spec will make all the difference and it isn't reading reviews it's through riding the bike.

Sorry, I don't believe you! You are talking grams of difference for the most part (per component and, of course, the differences add up but only to a couple of hundred grams or so). You'll only notice the difference if you are directly comparing two bikes. On the ride, not really. Not unless you are talking eg the difference between Dura Ace and Sora. That said, if you are a distant relative of the Princess and the Pea, then maybe you do notice the extra 2g per pedal weight of a Keo Max 2 over an Easy. On that basis you probably would notice the difference between a top spec and a mediums spec build. I certainly wouldn't!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use Keo Sprints on the SS and Max2 Carbons on the Scott. I'd struggle to tell the difference under foot.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Stevo C
    Stevo C Posts: 132
    damitamit wrote:
    Stevo C wrote:

thanks

Steve

Yup they go in like headset cups would, using a headset press (or if you're tight like me then one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADSET-PRESS ... 19dd757f1b). No grease.

That's exactly what I'm going to be making tomorrow - cheers
    cheers

Steve
  • itboffin
    Yep its the blades and whilst i'm not sure about the weight I'd buy them again just for the support and snap.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    SimonInd wrote:
    Very impressive weight, would you mind sharing details of the components? Mine's 17lbs with Zondas/clinchers, Ritchey WCS bar/stem/post and (strange mix) Ultegra cranks with Centaur derailleurs/cassette/levers.

Simon - ref your Ritchey WCS bits, are they the matt black or wet black? If the latter, then how do they look against the matt of the frame?
  • SimonInd
    SimonInd Posts: 17
    Only got the seatpost and it's matt, looks fine with the frameset. I've got my Ritchey Classic polished stem and handlebars until the matt ones arrive in the post, although they're the same weight. Either wet or matt will look fine as long as it's all the same.

Scales wise they're my bathroom scales, but my estimate was for around 7.5kg based on weight weenies info on the componets I have. The pedals are Shimano SPD m540's which aren't that light, the saddle is 300g and the Zondas are old so 1700g the pair before I put tyres on. An Ultegra groupset won't save me any weight so I'd need to go to Record/Red/Dura Ace or (more sensibly) some better wheels.

Rode it up a couple of hills tonight and it's lovely, very quick and light but comfy over the bumps. May need a longer stem but (weather permitting) will use it on my 14 mile (each way) London commute to really see what it's like.
  • itboffin
    Took mine out of the box tonight and removed the safety sticker, bloody hell thats some shitty matt finish, I used a baby wipe you know the ultimate cleaning device and it came apart like i'd just rubbed it on sanding paper.

hmmm
  • SimonInd
    SimonInd Posts: 17
    Commuted along the embankment this morning and it rode like a dream. The ride is anything but harsh, it seems smoother than the steel (853) frame it's replacing.
  • The CR1 Pro frameset that I definitely didn't buy this morning has just been dispatched. I rang Westbrook and asked if they could press the BB/headset for me, and they were more than happy to do so.

Nice chaps, I thought.

It will be used to transplant all the bits from the BeOne which has developed a crack in the NDS seat stay. It turns out that BeOne went bust last month, so I suspect my chances of a warranty replacement are very slim. Have emailed CRC just in case - you never know.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The CR1 Pro frameset that I definitely didn't buy this morning has just been dispatched. I rang Westbrook and asked if they could press the BB/headset for me, and they were more than happy to do so.

Nice chaps, I thought.

Same when I picked it up in person. Very big cardboard box and they asked me if I wanted the headset pressing in and they were happy to remove the box for me as otherwise it would have been a struggle to fit in the car!
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    First outing this afternoon and I'm very impressed! I did my 40 mile loop taking in all sorts of road surface and found it quick, responsive a comfy ride, plus it flys uphill! It's definately the comfiest bike I've had - more so than my Cannondale Six Carbon, and the Cube Agree GTC and Boardman Team Carbon I previously had. Chuffed :)
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Work has been busy so build not finished but thought I'd post up progress.

image_zpse33b6867.jpg

Going dark on this, already calling it the B-52. Fulcrum racing 3's which I'll de-sticker, ultegra grey is a perfect colour match on the frame. 3T Doric Team (black series) carbon post. 3T ARX team stem (also black series). Charge spoon, cos they're so damn comfy, rubino pro slicks (black & grey). Ultegra carbon pedals.

Just the cabling and bar tape, getting there slowly.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • itboffin
    Can't see mine getting built up this year, I suppose I should check the headset sometime soon.
  • IPMoody
    IPMoody Posts: 3
    Koncordski wrote:

Going dark on this, already calling it the B-52. Fulcrum racing 3's which I'll de-sticker, ultegra grey is a perfect colour match on the frame. 3T Doric Team (black series) carbon post. 3T ARX team stem (also black series). Charge spoon, cos they're so damn comfy, rubino pro slicks (black & grey). Ultegra carbon pedals.

Koncordski,

Dark is good, I'll be going the same way with mine. Out of interest, what handlebars have you gone for? I'd looked at the 3T black series range, but the 'stealth' bars pushed my budget a bit too far. If I went for the Pro, my OCD would mean I'd want the Pro stem, which may look a bit too white, and ruin the stealthy look.

Am I over thinking this... The alternative was to go for Ritchey WCS (matt of course) all round.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    IPMoody wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:

Koncordski,

Dark is good, I'll be going the same way with mine. Out of interest, what handlebars have you gone for? I'd looked at the 3T black series range, but the 'stealth' bars pushed my budget a bit too far. If I went for the Pro, my OCD would mean I'd want the Pro stem, which may look a bit too white, and ruin the stealthy look.

Am I over thinking this... The alternative was to go for Ritchey WCS (matt of course) all round.

I ended up with the 3T pro stem and bars after sweating over the same consideration (what have we become?). I thought about the 'dark series', but was sure I read it was gloss so decided the matt black and white would suit the frame better. Mine's ready for collection tomorrow so I'll try and get a photo up. I've gone with a Fizik seatpost so if I'm unhappy with the 3T cockpit I'll maybe go Fizik there when they finally release bars and stems this summer - maybe. I do really like 3T bars, though.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    itboffin wrote:
    Can't see mine getting built up this year, I suppose I should check the headset sometime soon.

I sent Westbrook 3 pictures of all of my purchased frames headsets, and they have confirmed I have all the required bits!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    IPMoody wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:

Koncordski,

The bars are 3T ergonova pro's, the black series stuff isn't gloss (except the 3T logo) so it all blends really well. The ultegra stuff looks black in the photos but is actually a pretty spot on colour match for the dark grey frame. The red label on the saddle will have to come off, it's annoying the crap outta me. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Adam_G
    Adam_G Posts: 35
    I've got some Easton EA50 bars on mine, but I'm going to look for some Ergonova Team bars to get the same position as my other bike which has the Team Carbons. The drop is about 30mm further forward on the Eastons and feels wrong, as does the skinny round tops after riding the Ergonovas!

I have to say, the Charge Spoon looks just wrong on a roadbike, you need something flat and blade-like... To hell with comfort! :D
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Just had email notification that they now have the SL frame back in stock in my size. My Pro frame is currently in the LBS getting built up, Too late now ARRRGH!
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    Koncordski wrote:
    Work has been busy so build not finished but thought I'd post up progress.

image_zpse33b6867.jpg

Noice, be sure to post a pic of the destickered FR3's going to do the same to mine.

Also does anyone know if the 2012(?) blk&red Fulcrum racing 3's are 11 speed compatible?