The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    So how have the frames been to ride? I'm somewhat concerned that the standover is some 18mm higher than my Trek Madone 2.1 even though the rest of the geometry is about the same.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Asprilla wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i really like the arundel products.

this weekend i shall be picking up these:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/aru ... e-ec034649

however these would look amazing on the cr1
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/aru ... e-ec034645

I've got the stainless steel ones on the SS and the Mandibles (could actually be Dave-os now I think about it) on my CR1. Great cages.

Edit; I've got Dave-Os. Apparently the Mandibles are more secure. Given how hard I have to pull to get a bottle out of a Dave-O I can only assume Mandible owners die of chronic dehydration.
    i have the carbon time trial one on my BMC, bottle went flying after less than a mile and got run over by a bus. emailed the guy at arundel to ask why this might happen as its meant to be the most secure of the TT cages/bottles he said they are all made by hand so some discrepancies may lie in the gripping. he got saddleback to send me two new bottles for free.

they havent gone flying since so i can only assume it was user error... :oops:
  • Adam_G
    Adam_G Posts: 35
    So how have the frames been to ride?

I raced mine for the first time last night, E/1/2/3/4 free-for-all crit race at Preston. Quite easy to make a direct comparison to the Giant TCR that it replaced as it was on a familiar circuit.

It feels very composed, kind of 'benign' handling. It doesn't fold into corners like twitchier, steeper frames and it holds its line nicely when pedaling hard in corners. It's one of those frames that just does as it's told and you forget about riding it. No glaring character foibles!

It is quite harsh though, I felt imperfections in the tarmac that I've not noticed before, and it bucked slightly when cornering at full tilt where there was a slight dip in the surface. That's the downside of such a rigid frame, although my Cervelo R5 seems to handle the rigidity far better as it's much more comfortable.

So in summary, a cracking frame for the money, doesn't particularly stand out in any one area, but it doesn't really have an drawbacks, so it's all good! An absolute bargain for £499 - I don't think anything else comes close in that price bracket - but I'd have been underwhelmed if I'd spent over £2-grand on one! It just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi of some top end frames that set them apart from the crowd.
  • carl_8888
    carl_8888 Posts: 3
    carl_8888 wrote:
    carl_8888 wrote:
    Very happy with this frame, bought from westbrookcycles but I did not have the forward thinking to ask them to press in some Campagnolo BB shells for me. What BB shells would I need to buy so that I could fit Campagnolo record 11 speed

I am thinking these but not sure http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/compon ... b30-p12982

Carl.

Yeah, that looks like the one I got Westbrook to send me. Having just bought a complete Chorus groupset, however, I think I've ended up with two. I haven't unpacked it yet, but if I do have a spare, I'll do you a good deal on it. Mind you, I'm slightly disappointed that you will out-pose me with your Record version :(

Well, I had a look and although both boxes say the exact same about sizing, the cups look different. I suspect the Westbrook ones they sent me are just an older design. I'll have a chat with my LBS and see which are the most suitable and get back to you with any worthwhile info. I'm sure the ones you link to are right, though.

Hi Jonny, many thanks for your reply. If you can provide any more info that would be great, BB standards appear to be a bit confusing at the moment and I just want to make sure I get the right ones :D Nothing wrong with Chorus , I have not ordered my Records yet and may opt for the Chorus and get better wheels yet...

No problem. I think the bottom line is you just need cups for BB86. I'm certain I have 2 sets, even though they look different, and you're welcome to whatever set I don't use, but if you're buying a full groupset you'll get the latest ones anyway.

I think the only difference between Chorus and Record/Super Record is weight rather than performance. If you did fancy pushing the boat out, though, Merlin are doing a deal on Athena EPS.

Many thanks for your advice Jonny, I have sourced some cups now. I will post some pictures when it is complete :D

Carl.
  • markhewitt1978
    It's rather surprising everyone is saying the frames are harsh, especially when Scott makes such a big thing about this being it's 'comfort' bike, with shock absorption etc.
  • Adam_G
    I'm comparing it to an R5 though, which is something of an Aston Marton to the Scott's well spec'd Mondeo/3-series BMW. To be honest, I'd have been disappointed with my Cervelo if the Scott had been as good!

It feels fine over big bumps and descending, but there's definitely quite a lot of feedback through the saddle which I put down to the massive seat tube. It's not something to worry about, I'd say it's pretty typical of frames in the £1500-£2000 price bracket. If you want an equivalently rigid frame that floats over bumps, you have to dig a bit deeper (obviously this observation is based on RRPs, not absolute bargains like the £499 CR1s!!)
  • markhewitt1978
    Adam_G wrote:
    I'm comparing it to an R5 though, which is something of an Aston Marton to the Scott's well spec'd Mondeo/3-series BMW. To be honest, I'd have been disappointed with my Cervelo if the Scott had been as good!

It feels fine over big bumps and descending, but there's definitely quite a lot of feedback through the saddle which I put down to the massive seat tube. It's not something to worry about, I'd say it's pretty typical of frames in the £1500-£2000 price bracket. If you want an equivalently rigid frame that floats over bumps, you have to dig a bit deeper (obviously this observation is based on RRPs, not absolute bargains like the £499 CR1s!!)

Cool, that's always the problem with these sorts of things, forum posts and articles saying "it's tall", "it flexes", "it's a bit harsh", but compared to what? :). As long as it's no worse (or not much worse) than my aluminium Trek 2.1 then cool.
  • Adam_G
    I think you'll notice a vast improvement Mark! And standover height is nothing to worry about... Unless you're Buster Gonad!
  • markhewitt1978
    Adam_G wrote:
    I think you'll notice a vast improvement Mark! And standover height is nothing to worry about... Unless you're Buster Gonad!

Thanks! Just getting nervous that I've made the right choice as after tomorrow when I pick it up there's no going back :)
    (Pro frame BTW not SL)
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Daniel B wrote:
    whitecot wrote:
    On the CD:
    Page 9 of the file 2012_H_scale_carbon_en.pdf shows how the headset goes together (sorry I can't paste the image)

Interesting - not only do I have a wrong sized bearing, I am also missing the crown race :(

Is the image on the CD the exact headset provided, because I haven't got a rubber O-ring or seal either :?

Edit - clearly not the headset provided, as the image is of a tapered headset - doh!

So does that mean that you do have all the requisite parts, and also that the pdf (Which I have yet to look at) is pretty useless as a source of reference for how the headset should go together?

I don't have all the required parts - crown race not there and one wrong sized bearing. Currently trying to source replacements from LBSs. As for the pdf, the headset still goes together as shown - the only difference is the shape ie it shows a tapered headset whereas the ones provided for the Scott are not tapered. The constituent parts still go in the same order.
  • Adam_G
    Just by coincidence, this article popped up on my facebook feed a few minutes ago and discusses what Cervelo call the "JND", the Just Noticeable Difference. It's quite interesting...

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/just-noticeable-difference.html
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    Daniel B wrote:
    whitecot wrote:
    On the CD:
    Page 9 of the file 2012_H_scale_carbon_en.pdf shows how the headset goes together (sorry I can't paste the image)

Interesting - not only do I have a wrong sized bearing, I am also missing the crown race :(

Is the image on the CD the exact headset provided, because I haven't got a rubber O-ring or seal either :?

Edit - clearly not the headset provided, as the image is of a tapered headset - doh!

So does that mean that you do have all the requisite parts, and also that the pdf (Which I have yet to look at) is pretty useless as a source of reference for how the headset should go together?

I don't have all the required parts - crown race not there and one wrong sized bearing. Currently trying to source replacements from LBSs. As for the pdf, the headset still goes together as shown - the only difference is the shape ie it shows a tapered headset whereas the ones provided for the Scott are not tapered. The constituent parts still go in the same order.

Went to build mine up last night and noticed the same thing. Missing crown race and one different size bearing. Rang Westbrook this morning and they've sent out another headset.
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    pete54 wrote:
    Just rang London Bicycle Workshop. They were a bit vague about the cost, but reckoned on 3-4 hours @ £50/hr. Sounds rather expensive and the conversation didn't inspire me with confidence. I think I will be waiting until early July and getting Condor to do it. I know I can trust them.

I have been using the LBW for a couple of years and have always found them really honest and genuine so I went in to ask about a build this afternoon. They don't specify a cost for a build from parts because they dont know what they are getting dumped on them. It sounds like they have had situations on the past where people have given some really awkward bits of kit to be fitted which takes a lot longer. Was told that with a "standard" build it will be no more than anywhere local. I would trust that if they told you it will take 3 hours and it actually takes 90 minutes they would only charge you for 90 mins. In the past I have gone in and asked for a service, they looked it over for 5 mins and told me nothing needed doing so to save my money and go back in a month or two.
    The other plus is they have a same day turn around so take it in Monday you get it back Monday. A lot of other places said that at the moment there is a 10 day turn around.
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Re the firm ride due to wide gauge seatpost

What would be the most comfy | flexible carbon seatpost recommended ?
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    frazered wrote:
    Re the firm ride due to wide gauge seatpost

What would be the most comfy | flexible carbon seatpost recommended ?

I am guessing but it maybe the specialized one with zertz inserts.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    £31 Ultegra cassette from Evans turned up in the post today thus finished the build just in time for the torrential rain :D

Coming from a steel Genesis Equilibrium 20 (which is a wonderful and very comfortable ride) I'm astonished some have said the Scott is a harsh ride - it was even smoother over the potholed ring road than the Genesis.

Absolute steal at £500, anyone who hesistated and missed out should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves :p
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • markhewitt1978
    Picked up the pro frame in person from Westbrooks this morning. Looks good!

It's a very nice shop and seem like top fellas that run it. So to be recommended if you live near Stokesley. They said the whole thing was crazy; way more than they were expecting. When I said I'd missed out on the SL frame by a few hours they said that lots of people had.

It is currently at my LBS to be built up.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Here's mine built:
    c48r.jpg

Weight is 14.88lb. Will be replacing the stem as I need a 100mm and currently it has a 110mm.

Had a bikefit with it at Cadence,Crystal Palace yesterday which was superb. First ride today and I love it but this mainly down to the fit although it is an excellent frame and is no where near as harsh as the Canyon CF it replaced.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Here's mine built:
    c48r.jpg

Weight is 14.88lb. Will be replacing the stem as I need a 100mm and currently it has a 110mm.

Had a bikefit with it at Cadence,Crystal Palace yesterday which was superb. First ride today and I love it but this mainly down to the fit although it is an excellent frame and is no where near as harsh as the Canyon CF it replaced.

Looks good. I'll be dropping mine off to be built up by Cadence tomorrow (£80 for the full build). I assume you recommend their bike fit service?
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Here's mine built:
    c48r.jpg

If you don't mind me asking what size frame is that and what's your measurements height inseam etc ?

Ta
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Looks good. I'll be dropping mine off to be built up by Cadence tomorrow (£80 for the full build). I assume you recommend their bike fit service?

Best £140 I have ever spent on cycling. Des was brilliant and to be honest has taught me how to ride the bike!
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I have gone from building this bike on a budget by transferring the SRAM Rival groupset from my old bike to considering buying a new Force groupset. Now I am thinking of digging deep into my pockets and getting what I really want, namely a Campagnolo groupset.

I have never owned a Campagnolo-equipped bike but Chorus would appear to be the sweet spot for value versus performance . The cheapest I can find a complete groupset is £825 at Cycling Bargains. Does anyone know if they are reputable or of a cheaper place for Chorus?

I am still planning to use my current Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels by purchasing a Campagnolo freehub from Chain Reaction.
  • jonny_trousers
    pete54 wrote:
    I have gone from building this bike on a budget by transferring the SRAM Rival groupset from my old bike to considering buying a new Force groupset. Now I am thinking of digging deep into my pockets and getting what I really want, namely a Campagnolo groupset.

I have never owned a Campagnolo-equipped bike but Chorus would appear to be the sweet spot for value versus performance . The cheapest I can find a complete groupset is £825 at Cycling Bargains. Does anyone know if they are reputable or of a cheaper place for Chorus?

I am still planning to use my current Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels by purchasing a Campagnolo freehub from Chain Reaction.

That's a 2011 set, I believe. I don't know whether there's much difference, but I decided an extra £20 or so was worth it for the most recent version. I can't remember exactly what I paid (you can see if you go back through my posts on this thread), but it was from Shiny Bikes using Flubit. It took a week to arrive and each component is individually boxed.
  • pete54
    That's a 2011 set, I believe.

Oh, ok. I've signed up with Flubit, but they only offered me 3% off a SRAM Force groupset at Merlin. I'll try them with Chorus at Shiny Bikes. How does Flubit work? Do you pay them or the merchant?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    pete54 wrote:

I was also going to swap over my Rival gruppo but really want a new Force set up. However to sell my Roubaix as a complete bike I also need to factor in a new saddle, seatpost, bars, tape, cables and bottle cages for the CR1. Starts adding up a little, even if I do have some spare wheels to go on the Roubaix.

Better to sell frame and components separately or as a complete bike do you reckon? It's a 2010 Elite and if it goes as a full bike it will have the upgraded SRAM Rival gruppo and Ritchey DS Pro wheels...my Pro Lites are going on the Scott as well!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • jonny_trousers
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Best £140 I have ever spent on cycling. Des was brilliant and to be honest has taught me how to ride the bike!

Great to know and I'll definitely for it once the dust settles on my CR1 purchases.
  • pete54
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Better to sell frame and components separately or as a complete bike do you reckon? It's a 2010 Elite and if it goes as a full bike it will have the upgraded SRAM Rival gruppo and Ritchey DS Pro wheels...my Pro Lites are going on the Scott as well!

I'm planning on getting a set of Shimano r500s for £65 and then I just need a seat post to make a complete bike of my old Ribble. I have new bars, stem, bar tape, bottle cages & saddle for the Scott. I will sell the Ribble as a complete bike. You could probably make more from selling the bits separately, but I don't really want the hassle.
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Has anyone thought about insurance for this influx of high end bikes?

I looked into my home insurance and it seems the direct line don't cover bikes over £1000 and insuring on its own is something silly like 400 quid a year!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • SimonInd
    SimonInd Posts: 17
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Here's mine built:
    c48r.jpg

Very impressive weight, would you mind sharing details of the components? Mine's 17lbs with Zondas/clinchers, Ritchey WCS bar/stem/post and (strange mix) Ultegra cranks with Centaur derailleurs/cassette/levers.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I am quite tempted by this Ultegra groupset:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/groupsets-road-bike/shimano-ultegra-6700-groupset-silver.html

Shame its silver. With quidco cashback it weighs in at about £525. Good deal?
    Anyone think these will be coming down further with 5800 out now/soon?

Am I also correct in thinking it is a braze on front derailleur and not a clip on one I need?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18