The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    itboffin wrote:
    Can't see mine getting built up this year, I suppose I should check the headset sometime soon.

If you've got a medium frame I'd definitely check. Mine had wrong/missing bits and they immediately sent a new one out. Great service.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I've got a medium and I'm almost certain I have all the bits. I'll double-check to be sure though.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    If I want to fit a Campagnolo (Ultra-Torque) chain set, how do I know what BB to buy? The frame spec. just says BB91 Shimano but that's surely just what is supplied rather than the frame BB shell spec?
  • pete54
    YIMan wrote:
    If I want to fit a Campagnolo (Ultra-Torque) chain set

BB86:

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/compon ... b30-p12982
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Thank you!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I picked mine up from the LBS this afternoon and used it for my commute this evening (it's not going to be my commuter, but I couldn't resist) and I have to say, it's incredible. Anyone concerned about comfort should forget about any 'harsh ride' comments. I too come to this bike from a super silky Genesis Equilibrium (and a Condor Fratello before that) and the Scott is at least as comfortable as either bike. Like I said before, I took an Enigma Esprit out for a trial ride a few weeks back and although it was crazy comfy, the ride was almost soulless. The CR1 gives you just enough road feedback to make the bike feel alive, but isn't harsh in any respect.

It's fast too. I didn't manage any PBs, but I wasn't fully trying and I was very close to them all.

I adore it already. Only quibble is, I'm getting a lot of cable slap against the downtube. I see my LBS has crossed the gear cables, and I wonder if that might be causing the problem? Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

I'll get a photo or two up tomorrow. The 3T Pro stem was a mistake. The white stands out too much against the silver/grey logos of the frame. I should have gone for the black series and I may very well end up doing that. Other than that it looks utterly gorgeous.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    It's a great ride isn't it! I put the cable protectors that came with the bike on the frame before setting off on my first ride. If haven't done so already it'll be worth putting them on until the cable problem is solved.
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    I picked mine up from the LBS this afternoon and used it for my commute this evening (it's not going to be my commuter, but I couldn't resist) and I have to say, it's incredible. Anyone concerned about comfort should forget about any 'harsh ride' comments. I too come to this bike from a super silky Genesis Equilibrium (and a Condor Fratello before that) and the Scott is at least as comfortable as either bike. Like I said before, I took an Enigma Esprit out for a trial ride a few weeks back and although it was crazy comfy, the ride was almost soulless. The CR1 gives you just enough road feedback to make the bike feel alive, but isn't harsh in any respect.

It's fast too. I didn't manage any PBs, but I wasn't fully trying and I was very close to them all.

I adore it already. Only quibble is, I'm getting a lot of cable slap against the downtube. I see my LBS has crossed the gear cables, and I wonder if that might be causing the problem? Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

I'll get a photo or two up tomorrow. The 3T Pro stem was a mistake. The white stands out too much against the silver/grey logos of the frame. I should have gone for the black series and I may very well end up doing that. Other than that it looks utterly gorgeous.

Get some photos up of the whole bike please
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Almost finished building mine.

j116.jpg

I just need to replace the stem/bars/bottle cages and cut down the steerer once I've decided on the right height for the handlebars.
  • jonny_trousers

Get some photos up of the whole bike please

I will tomorrow afternoon, I promise.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009

I'll get some better shots of the black series 3T stuff, it's not matte but its definitely not shiny so I think it looks spot on. Can't wait to ride it, just the gear trimming to do now, really impressed with the weight now it's fully loaded. Definitely on a par with my mate's cervelo. Anybody go Di2 on one of the Westbrook frames?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    _Jon_ wrote:
    Almost finished building mine.

j116.jpg

I just need to replace the stem/bars/bottle cages and cut down the steerer once I've decided on the right height for the handlebars.

Lookin' good... Is it me or are the bottle cage mounts on the seat tube very low down?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    A note on the Pro frame, they are starting to sell out of them only 56,58,61 still available BUT the price is now £449.
  • pete54
    I had different sized bearing races (15 and 16) and a missing item 14, as per the image below, in my headset package:

9086770798_deb617e87d.jpg

Here's what Westbrook sent when I told them what was missing/wrong:

9084556003_1a42b7a6b6.jpg

I now have two bearing races the same size, but I can't see anything that is equivalent to the item 14 from the top picture. Am I still missing a bit? The new bits appear to be FSA, not Ritchey.
  • jonny_trousers
    edited June 2013
    Pics of mine as promised:
    P1060537_zps61ee7c98.jpg
    P1060534_zps89576dbc.jpg

Spec list beyond the obvious is as follows:

Chorus Groupset
    Campag Zonda wheels
    Conti GP4000S tyres
    Fizik Cyrano carbon seatpost
    Specialized Romin Evo Pro saddle
    3T ARX Pro stem
    3T Ergosum bars
    Fizik microtex bar tape
    Tacx Tao Carbon bottle cages
    Ultegra SPD SL pedals (I know, I almost heard the campag cranks scream as I screwed them on)

Weight as built in the pics above 7.3kg (without pedals, cages and Garmin mount, 6.8kg)

I think IB is right that this frameset is a scratcher. I've already got a tiny scratch on the top tube and I've no idea how I put it there. Never mind, though: bikes are to be ridden.

Annoyance of the day is that the washers are permanently attached to the bottle cage bolts. That way they are too fat for my cages and don't submerge enough not to get in the way of the bottles. Oh well, I don't suppose it's a costly replacement. Maybe I should buy ti bolts ;)

Are you guys going to get busy with the heli-tape? I'm nervous I'm going to wear the writing on the cranks (the way I have on my alloy centaurs on the commuter).

I'm going to try dropping a spacer increment tomorrow. I reckon I could go lower and still be comfortable.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    A note on the Pro frame, they are starting to sell out of them only 56,58,61 still available BUT the price is now £449.

They seem to have the CR1 Pro listed twice. The one at 449 has a threaded BB, the other at 499 has the integrated BB86. They still have a good selection of sizes in the the Integrated BB version...

No SLs left as far as I can see...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • pete54
    I found this when throwing out a couple of old copies of Cyclist magazine:

9086995448_dd22f640b1.jpg

Might be of interest to those contemplating the Pro frame. I think the SL has the same geometry.
  • Dozzina
    Dozzina Posts: 44
    f5659a7ad07611e28b1f22000a9f14a7_7.jpg

5c137aaad07511e294d322000a1f8c09_7.jpg

Build went smooth, Sram Red throughout taken from the previous bike, new bar tape and jagwires were added. .

I'm 5'11 on a good day, 56cm frame - have got a 130 stem coming (currently a 120 on it).

Bargain.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Very nice even with the photo effect but absolutely never clamp a carbon bike on top tube, seat post only :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    itboffin wrote:
    Very nice even with the photo effect but absolutely never clamp a carbon bike on top tube, seat post only :?

And if we're being picky, rear brake cable looks a little short :-)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yes yes we are being picky, this is all very serious
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Dozzina
    Dozzina Posts: 44
    itboffin wrote:

It's not clamped as such, merely balanced within. Hell, I even removed the oily t-shirt that was wrapped around the top tube :( ah well, I tried!
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    edited June 2013
    Some v nice builds there, Jonny, Gazzaputt and Dozzina. Still no XL builds though...!

I'm just waiting for the hand-built wheelset (Archetype rims, CX Rays and Novatec hubs) and I'm vacillating about the seatpost - crabon or alloy.

Should be ready by July 4th.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    pete54 wrote:
    I had different sized bearing races (15 and 16) and a missing item 14, as per the image below, in my headset package:

I now have two bearing races the same size, but I can't see anything that is equivalent to the item 14 from the top picture. Am I still missing a bit? The new bits appear to be FSA, not Ritchey.

Same as me Pete - no, you're not still missing a bit, no 7 is the replacement crown race (no 14 in the first pic).
  • It was the inclusion of the Deda Dog Fang (bit 3) that impressed me. Top work Scott.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Dozzina wrote:
    Build went smooth, Sram Red throughout taken from the previous bike, new bar tape and jagwires were added. .

I'm 5'11 on a good day, 56cm frame - have got a 130 stem coming (currently a 120 on it).

Bargain.

Very nice but not sure on the white.

5'11" and a 130mm stem?? :shock:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Dozzina wrote:

Bargain.

Very nice but not sure on the white.

5'11" and a 130mm stem?? :shock:

I thought that. I'm 5'9" on a 54 with a 100mm stem.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    pete54 wrote:

They've sent you a whole new headset (did the same for me). So you only now need bits 4,6,7,8,9,13 from the original package.

The replacement FSA they sent is actually lighter than the Ritchey Carbon jobbie :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Seemingly back in stock. Shhh, don't tell everyone.

Wasn't sure which size would fit. Might just have bought a medium and a large to find out for sure...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo