The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Funny - I've not ridden Charlie's far (it's a 52 and I take a 58) but I got absolutely no sense of it being harsh. And that's coming from the Volagi that's designed to be compliant in the vertical direction (the whole idea behind the Longbow seat stays)

I've only ridden the original version of the new form of CR1 (ie short top tube, tall headtube etc) - this is still often reported as having a stiffer than magic carpet ride. To me it was like riding a sofa. Beautifully soft and smooth. To the extent that it lacked a bit of the fizz that made me pay a lot more for my Look.

It would seem strange that the heavily flattened stays on the current CR1 SL wouldn't give some useful softening of feel.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    What bottle cages have you guys gone for? Always forget something...
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    PorlyWorly wrote:

My spending has been getting a bit silly on this project, so I thought I'd save a bit of money and bought a pair of used carbon Tacx Tao cages from the classifieds here.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    PorlyWorly wrote:

Matt black Elites
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    PorlyWorly wrote:

My spending has been getting a bit silly on this project, so I thought I'd save a bit of money and bought a pair of used carbon Tacx Tao cages from the classifieds here.
    you bought those!?

i wanted them :(
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    spasypaddy wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:

you bought those!?

I guess it probably wouldn't help if I said I managed to knock the price down too, would it? :wink:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:

you bought those!?

I guess it probably wouldn't help if I said I managed to knock the price down too, would it? :wink:
    however i wanted them for my commuter which just wouldnt do them justice
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Westbrook say the Pro frames are due in 'midweek'.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    davis wrote:
    Hmmm. Slightly worried that this frame comes out on the "harsh" side. Has anyone else got any reviews of ride quality? I'm a big fan of going ever so slightly slower and not buzzing the hell out of myself.

Current ride is a Spesh Roubaix.

Oh bugger! I'm coming from a Roubaix too, although changing as mine felt soft when climbing and began to dislike the "bounce" I got when turning a big gear on the flat. Hopefully with decent 25mm tyres it might take the edge off it. Mine turned up today and on unpacking found a slight "crease" on the upper part of the down tube, a line about 3/4" long which is depressed when you run your thumb over it (very difficult to photograph though).

Have emailed Westbrook but should I return? No evidence of cracks or delamination, but there is a definite crease....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Do people think the pro frame will be smoother than the sl ?

I.e the hmx vs the hmf ?
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Saw my first CR1 tonight on Embankment, or it might have been a Speedster, couldn't quite tell ;)
  • Just a question on the headset assembly.
    I have looked at a lot of the you-tube how-to videos, but I don't know where the silver split ring fits.

From bottom to top this is how I think it works:
    -thin black crown race goes on top of the fork (ensure it is horizontal
    -lower bearing cup race "slide" into the bottom of the head tube
    -bearings into the bearing cup
    -Upper bearing cup race "slide" into the top of the head tube
    -bearings into the upper bearing cup
    -crown race - is this the silver split ring ?
    -Spacers
    -expansion nut
    -stem , tighten only when the top cover allen nut is tightened
    -top cover (the one with Scott on it , allen nut

So , where in this does the ring with Ritchey WCS on it go ? on the top as well ?

Any help would be great
  • Adam_G
    Adam_G Posts: 35
    I don't think there would be much noticeable difference between the HMX and the HMF - in my experience, the top of the line frames just tend to feel a bit more sprightly compared to the lower models - if you choose one expecting a plush ride, you'll probably be disappointed.

I rode it in anger last night, took it down some big descents which gave me an opportunity to assess it on rutty roads. I have to say, any initial concerns about the ride quality have been dispelled. It's fine at speed, doesn't crash or buck over bumps or if it becomes unweighted.

I still think it feeds back a lot at lower speeds, but I'm putting that down to the size of the seat tube.

Talking of seat tubes, I can't get my seatpost to grip tight - I've used assembly paste and even torqued it a bit more than the recommended limit, but it still won't stick. Any suggestions? It's a carbon post, correct size, but it feels quite slack in that it slides all the way in very freely.
  • Adam_G
    Adam_G Posts: 35

The split silver ring sits above the upper race with the Ritchey cap over the top of that.

I had to tap the bung down a couple of times before it bit enough to preload the races.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Just a question on the headset assembly.
    I have looked at a lot of the you-tube how-to videos, but I don't know where the silver split ring fits.

From bottom to top this is how I think it works:
    -thin black crown race goes on top of the fork (ensure it is horizontal
    -lower bearing cup race "slide" into the bottom of the head tube
    -bearings into the bearing cup
    -Upper bearing cup race "slide" into the top of the head tube
    -bearings into the upper bearing cup
    -Spacers
    -expansion nut
    -stem , tighten only when the top cover allen nut is tightened
    -top cover (the one with Scott on it , allen nut

So , where in this does the ring with Ritchey WCS on it go ? on the top as well ?

Any help would be great

The silver split ring is the expansion ring and goes between the top bearing and the steerer tube. The black cover with the logo on is the dust cover, spacers sit on top of this.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Adam_G wrote:
    I don't think there would be much noticeable difference between the HMX and the HMF - in my experience, the top of the line frames just tend to feel a bit more sprightly compared to the lower models - if you choose one expecting a plush ride, you'll probably be disappointed.

I rode it in anger last night, took it down some big descents which gave me an opportunity to assess it on rutty roads. I have to say, any initial concerns about the ride quality have been dispelled. It's fine at speed, doesn't crash or buck over bumps or if it becomes unweighted.

I still think it feeds back a lot at lower speeds, but I'm putting that down to the size of the seat tube.

Talking of seat tubes, I can't get my seatpost to grip tight - I've used assembly paste and even torqued it a bit more than the recommended limit, but it still won't stick. Any suggestions? It's a carbon post, correct size, but it feels quite slack in that it slides all the way in very freely.

You are using the correct size seatpost 31.6 right? I found the same with my 58cm frame in that the seatpost has the most wiggle room I've seen. All my previous bikes the seatpost has been nice and snug but it's not the case on the Scott.
  • indyp
    Luv2ride wrote:
    davis wrote:
    Hmmm. Slightly worried that this frame comes out on the "harsh" side. Has anyone else got any reviews of ride quality? I'm a big fan of going ever so slightly slower and not buzzing the hell out of myself.

Oh bugger! I'm coming from a Roubaix too, although changing as mine felt soft when climbing and began to dislike the "bounce" I got when turning a big gear on the flat. Hopefully with decent 25mm tyres it might take the edge off it. Mine turned up today and on unpacking found a slight "crease" on the upper part of the down tube, a line about 3/4" long which is depressed when you run your thumb over it (very difficult to photograph though).

Have emailed Westbrook but should I return? No evidence of cracks or delamination, but there is a definite crease....

Westbrook should help with that although as there's no frames left maybe it'll be partial refund?

If I'm honest the inside of the forks on my 58cm frame isn't the best. There seems to be slight cover of a different design! It's inside the forks so not a problem but I wouldn't be happy if I'd paid full price. There's also a few blemishes on the TT although it's nothing too bad it's still pretty poor finishing for such an expensive RRP frame - maybe this has something to do with the heavy discount?!
  • markhewitt1978
    I'm wondering if I need a new seatpost or not?

The one I have currently in the specs says it's a 'Bontrager Race', 20mm offset, which I guess must be this one: http://www.bontrager.com/model/02238 which is listed as being 31.6mm, would that fit the Scott frame?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If it's 31.6 then it should fit.

I use a Thomson Elite on mine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Pair of GP4000S ordered for the Scott and went for a couple of Tacx black bottle cages as I have the white ones on my Equilibrium and they look nice. Just waiting for Ultegra cassette to turn up in the post then the build is complete, although the never ending search for purple bar tape that matches my Fizik test saddle goes on... Will up some pics tonight if I get a chance
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    9014978905_b51168157b.jpg

My current ongoing build after a 100 mile trip round the IOW at the weekend. Have dropped the stem one spacer since this and will see if my back will survive!

Currently on borrowed, unmatched wheels! What a sin! Having to save up for a pair, having blown my budget on the build so far.
  • markhewitt1978
    Looks nice with the 105, and with the white tape. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with white or go black, as I reckon the bar tape will have to be redone?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    indyP wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    davis wrote:

Westbrook should help with that although as there's no frames left maybe it'll be partial refund?

If I'm honest the inside of the forks on my 58cm frame isn't the best. There seems to be slight cover of a different design! It's inside the forks so not a problem but I wouldn't be happy if I'd paid full price. There's also a few blemishes on the TT although it's nothing too bad it's still pretty poor finishing for such an expensive RRP frame - maybe this has something to do with the heavy discount?!

Westbrook have offered to collect the SL frame and provide a Pro frame with an additional discount. The Pro is clearly less of a "bargain" in pure discount terms, but is still a good frame. Am conflicted between just getting money back or renewing the frame anyway and going for the Pro. Pretty good customer service at any rate. Am impressed....but would rather have had an SL frame at the end of it all :cry:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • rolf_f
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Westbrook have offered to collect the SL frame and provide a Pro frame with an additional discount. The Pro is clearly less of a "bargain" in pure discount terms, but is still a good frame. Am conflicted between just getting money back or renewing the frame anyway and going for the Pro. Pretty good customer service at any rate. Am impressed....but would rather have had an SL frame at the end of it all :cry:

Target about £200 off (to get a similar proportionate discount) and you can use the extra cash to get £200 better wheels. That will give you a real world better performing bike than the SL for the same money! Some potential for bartering with Westbrook there I reckon. Me, I think I'd go for the Pro.
  • indyp
    The geometry of the Pro is the same as SL, plus there's not much difference in weight between the two, so a swap is worth considering. I suppose it all depends on whether you can live with the frame as it is or not.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Lefthook wrote:
    9014978905_b51168157b.jpg

My current ongoing build after a 100 mile trip round the IOW at the weekend. Have dropped the stem one spacer since this and will see if my back will survive!

Currently on borrowed, unmatched wheels! What a sin! Having to save up for a pair, having blown my budget on the build so far.

Out of curiousity what is the height of the stack when the stem is right at the top?

thanks
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Finally gotten around to opening my 54, and when showing it alongside my felt I am pretty sure its the right size frame.

Not as blown away by the quality as I thought I might be, frame looks a little uneven in places, I can see a couple of indents of sorts, but not sure I can be bothered enough to return it.
    Don't think I would be happy had I spent over 2k on it though.

The, to me, large number of components for the headset leaves me thinking that I will likely have to pay my lbs to fit it, which is a shame as I would like to have the skills and confidence, and also have another one to build in the near future, but the risk of me ballsing it up seems to high to me.

One question - there are 2 holes. One at the centre back of the seat tube, before it meets where the bottom hracket is, and another between the rear stays on the actual bb area, but this one is not central.
    Are they meant to be there?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rolf_f
    Daniel B wrote:
    One question - there are 2 holes. One at the centre back of the seat tube, before it meets where the bottom hracket is,

Probably a vent hole for production. Mine has one anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Daniel B wrote:
    and another between the rear stays on the actual bb area, but this one is not central.
    Are they meant to be there?

Try fitting a front mech cable without it :wink:

I wouldn't worry about the unevenness - I think it is a feature of carbon monocoques in general and the drab matt doesn't help. It will look a whole lot better built up.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited June 2013
    Thanks Rolf, I do agree that I expect if it was finished in a high gloss finish it would blow my socks off!

I have unpacked all of the bits that came with it - not taken the forks out yet, so not sure if there are more in there - does anyone have the compassion to tell me what they all are?!

9029296872_4acd8fefe4_b.jpg

I will put what I believe them to be form a very quick look:

1 & 2 - Where the bearings fit in?
    3 - Chain catcher sharks tooth thing?
    4 - Goes inside the steerer tube?
    5 - Some kind of shim
    6, 7, 8 - Carbon spacers to fit on steerer and set height of stem/bars.
    9 - Headset top cap
    10 - Pretty headset surround finish, that will sit on top of the frame, and below the spacers
    11, 12, 13 - These must fit with 3, 4 and 9, not sure which with which though.
    14 - ??
    15 - 16 - Look like bearings, so assume one for the top of the forks just above the legs, and one at the top of the steerer tube, ie under the spacers etc etc - and assume these would mate up with 1 & 2?

I have not yet read the instructions or had a look at t'internet to see if there details in there, so please ignore if that is the case!

I think my biggest concern is that I saw someone else post earlier that their Medium frame had the wrong headset bits included - any way I can establish if this is the case with mine?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about the unevenness - I think it is a feature of carbon monocoques in general and the drab matt doesn't help. It will look a whole lot better built up.
    Did you ever get anywhere with having the frame clear coated? I'd be interested in seeing how this would look.