The Scott CR1 SL Thread

17810121383

Comments

  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Mine is arriving on Monday and I was going to transfer the SRAM Rival groupset from my Ribble. I'm now thinking I might be able to run to new groupset as I have an old bike to sell and the Ribble Sportive Bianco frame (plus Rival groupset if I get rid of it).

    Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a Force groupset? Also, when the new Force groupset comes out and what it's likely to cost?

    I'm on holiday in France at the moment with no wifi so can't Google all over the place.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    pete54 wrote:
    Mine is arriving on Monday and I was going to transfer the SRAM Rival groupset from my Ribble. I'm now thinking I might be able to run to new groupset as I have an old bike to sell and the Ribble Sportive Bianco frame (plus Rival groupset if I get rid of it).

    Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a Force groupset? Also, when the new Force groupset comes out and what it's likely to cost?

    I'm on holiday in France at the moment with no wifi so can't Google all over the place.
    I'm also looking at putting Force on it. So far it looks like Merlin are the place to go for the full groupset. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Force (or any other SRAM cranks) will fit the Shimano BB.

    I haven't scouted around for the cheapest individual parts yet.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I emailed Westbrook about fitting a SRAM chainset. They sell a pressfit SRAM BB which will work for £30, so I have ordered one of those.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    I have never had a sram bike, are they well rated and what would be the equivalent to a 105?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Daniel B wrote:
    I have never had a sram bike, are they well rated and what would be the equivalent to a 105?

    Personally I think Sram Apex is as good as 105 and Rival is better. Equally I think Force is better than Ultegra and Red is better than Dura Ace.

    Shouldn't I be wearing some kind of safety gear at this point?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    F*cking nightmare build this!

    Headset was fun and games, had to 2nd cut the steerer thank god I left plenty, steerer bung doesn't work and was told the BB90 would come out easy. Like hell! Off to LBS in the morning who can hopefully remove and install the Rotor 4130 I have.

    Mine is a SRAM Red build with Rotor 3DF chainset, Mavic R-Sys wheels with Ritchey and Fizik finishing kit.

    Does look nice though!

    Any advice on the steerer bung? I tighten it but it doesn't rise and grab the inside of the steerer.

    Given up for tonight.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Asprilla wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    I have never had a sram bike, are they well rated and what would be the equivalent to a 105?

    Personally I think Sram Apex is as good as 105 and Rival is better. Equally I think Force is better than Ultegra and Red is better than Dura Ace.

    Shouldn't I be wearing some kind of safety gear at this point?

    Are you a farmer, Asprilla? :wink:

    Apex is agricultural. It's more expensive than 105 too :wink:

    Upgrading to 105 from Apex on the Boardman CX made the world of difference.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Apex RRP is £25 less than 105 and is generally still cheaper after discounts.

    Apex, Rival and Force are all identical in their design and action, only the weight and materials change. Off the top of my head I think Apex is lighter than 105 too.

    I went from a 105 bike and an Ultegra bike to an Apex, a Force and another bike that's a mixture of the two. On current offering I wouldn't swap back.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Mine's sitting in its box next to the built but unridden Cervelo R5 VWD, it's nice but nowhere near as nice as the Cervelo

    Still doesnt matter as I have both

    :-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    itboffin wrote:
    Mine's sitting in its box next to the built but unridden Cervelo R5 VWD, it's nice but nowhere near as nice as the Cervelo

    Still doesnt matter as I have both

    :-)

    This will make 12 or summit, innit?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Asprilla wrote:
    Apex RRP is £25 less than 105 and is generally still cheaper after discounts.

    Apex, Rival and Force are all identical in their design and action, only the weight and materials change. Off the top of my head I think Apex is lighter than 105 too.

    I went from a 105 bike and an Ultegra bike to an Apex, a Force and another bike that's a mixture of the two. On current offering I wouldn't swap back.

    It's not a big deal as I'm sure it's down to personal taste. A quick scan suggests 105 is marginally cheaper on real prices - certainly that was definitely my experience when I swapped on the Boardman. A few other people have followed suit on that bike and found, like I did, that it improved the bike no end. The brake levers, in particular, on 105 were far less flexible and gave a much better feel. One other advantage on the Boardman was the "paddles" on the levers on Apex tended to wedge on the bars unless the brakes were well-adjusted. This isn't an issue on 105. Generally 105 shifting is much sweeter - it really feels like American engineering vs Japanese engineering. But people do buy American cars...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Mine's sitting in its box next to the built but unridden Cervelo R5 VWD, it's nice but nowhere near as nice as the Cervelo

    Still doesnt matter as I have both

    :-)

    This will make 12 or summit, innit?

    Yes what's your point? :roll:

    Although i'm going to sell 2 or 3 now that I dont use and start using the scott as my dry commuter, so practically never.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    itboffin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Mine's sitting in its box next to the built but unridden Cervelo R5 VWD, it's nice but nowhere near as nice as the Cervelo

    Still doesnt matter as I have both

    :-)

    This will make 12 or summit, innit?

    Yes what's your point? :roll:

    Although i'm going to sell 2 or 3 now that I dont use and start using the scott as my dry commuter, so practically never.

    Touchy.

    Didn't have a point, just a question.

    Saying that, I've got six bikes and three of them probably make up 95% of my riding so in guessing that with 12 there may well be some that may not see the light of day every year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Best place to pick up Jagwire full cable set?
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Frame arrived today and I think I prefer the addict RC to the CR1 so there may be a frameset going for a very reasonable price.... just enough extra to assist in my build!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Asprilla wrote:

    Shouldn't I be wearing some kind of safety gear at this point?
    Too chicken to mention Campag though.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

    Shouldn't I be wearing some kind of safety gear at this point?
    Too chicken to mention Campag though.

    Just you wait until you behold my Chorus beauty!

    No idea if it's any good, but I had an email to say Ribble are doing a deal on Shimano groupsets right now.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

    Shouldn't I be wearing some kind of safety gear at this point?
    Too chicken to mention Campag though.

    I'm an idiot, not a troll.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    Best place to pick up Jagwire full cable set?

    Got mine on ebay for £22
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

    Shouldn't I be wearing some kind of safety gear at this point?
    Too chicken to mention Campag though.

    I'm an idiot, not a troll.
    Not that daft as you saw through this idiot's poor attempt at trolling.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    tetm wrote:
    JT, I've just spec'd up a Chorus groupset for £838.46 (not for a Scott build, I hasten to add) from bits around the web, not including any Quidco or Flubit - let me know if you find one cheaper...

    Just Flubitted it via Shiny Bikes and got £843 for the entire 2013 groupset. That's the best I could find, but I'm happy with that. Now all I need is seatpost, stem and bars and I'm ready to build (or pay someone to build, to be more accurate). :D
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    What bars, stem and seatpost combo are people going for ? I am thinking carbon seatpost, then zipp bars and stem... The cost of carbon bars is a bit prohibitive
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I'm going carbon seat post then alloy 100mm stem and compact alloy bars. Unless you go mega expensive on carbon bars the weight difference is negligible. All black components and tape for a stealthy look.

    #1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Same here I think. Just need to choose a seatpost that is discreet or can be de-logo'd

    Fsa slk ?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I've been doing my head in deciding on bars, stem and seatpost. I've just picked up an 'as new' Fizik carbon seatpost on Ebay and I suspect it will be 3T alloy bars and stem (shame Fizik have yet to release theirs).
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Koncordski wrote:
    I'm going carbon seat post then alloy 100mm stem and compact alloy bars. Unless you go mega expensive on carbon bars the weight difference is negligible. All black components and tape for a stealthy look.

    Agree on weight but carbon bars are more forgiving than aluminium
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Mrs CJ is very interested in the CR1 Pro. So I'm going at the website for her, not me.

    Something's gone wrong here.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Mrs CJ is very interested in the CR1 Pro. So I'm going at the website for her, not me.

    Something's gone wrong here.

    I think you'll find its gone very right indeed. I'm looking at Bakfiets for my Mrs but I know who will end up piloting it....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Heh heh.

    Has anyone bought the CR1 Pro (non-SL)? How does the frame look?
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Heh heh.

    Has anyone bought the CR1 Pro (non-SL)? How does the frame look?

    I don't have the colour way they are selling but I've got the 2011 version and its lovely. If I get my painting finished, dig out a tree and get the trampoline then there's a chance I'll be going to the park late this afternoon if you wanted a look.

    It's a slim chance, but I'm clinging to it with both hands.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX