i really want one :(
    spasypaddy wrote:
    BMC TM01 - FCN 0
    Look 695 (Geared) - FCN 1
    Cannondale CAAD 9 - FCN 2
    Premier (CX) - FCN 6
    Premier (fixed/SS) - FCN 3

Behave!
    It would be an upgrade on something im sure, not sure which... probably the CAAD 9. The CR1 has always been one of my favourite frames.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i really want one :(
    spasypaddy wrote:
    BMC TM01 - FCN 0
    Look 695 (Geared) - FCN 1
    Cannondale CAAD 9 - FCN 2
    Premier (CX) - FCN 6
    Premier (fixed/SS) - FCN 3

Behave!
    It would be an upgrade on something im sure, not sure which... probably the CAAD 9. The CR1 has always been one of my favourite frames.
    Sounds like a solid plan. When you move the CAAD9 on, let me know. What size is it? C'mon and buy the SL already...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dhope wrote:
    Sounds like a solid plan. When you move the CAAD9 on, let me know. What size is it? C'mon and buy the SL already...
    Its a 54, however the next issue is the CAAD9 is probably my favourite EVER frame. Its truly amazing. I wouldnt want to get rid.

So that would then leave me with having to build a CR1 up and having 6 bikes...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    spasypaddy wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Its a 54, however the next issue is the CAAD9 is probably my favourite EVER frame. Its truly amazing. I wouldnt want to get rid.

I'm still not seeing any negatives here.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    colm_gti wrote:
    My new Sunday best....

935986_10151399149957493_733577753_n.jpg

It might have been cheap to buy, but lets not forget this is a premium level frameset, and it feels every bit of it, a joy to ride!

Thanks for the pic - v nice looking rig.

I'm your height and went for the 58 and looking at the saddle to bar drop on the L 56 set up that's a little too steep for me (I ride in the drops quite a bit). Stem will be slammed and 120mm should be fine. I'm thinking Deda 35 shallow bars and stem...

Going to get mainly 105 parts, but with an Ultegra chainset at the weekend. This is going to be a Saturday mile muncher bike and sunny day commuter, not a Sunday best bike...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Asprilla wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    dhope wrote:

I'm still not seeing any negatives here.
    :lol:
    you may not but my bank account would. i just cant afford it
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Please could one of you more mechanically minded people reassure me on something: I'm looking to order an entire Campag groupset for my bike, and where you have to select the type of bottom bracket I'm given a few options. Now, firstly, Westbrook actually included a set of Ultra-torque cups for 86.5 x 41 frames in my crate, and so I suspect I don't need any BB option with my groupset. However, when I made an inquiry with the shop I was told I'd need a 68 x 42. Is this nonsense?

Thanks in advance
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,688
    Been out for the inaugural ride with the boy - he likes the bike - slight stretch for him (first road bike and his operation scar was uncomfortable). 15 trouble-free miles on a gorgeous Highland evening with my son makes the expense and effort worthwhile.
    Excellent. He looks very happy in the picture, understandably so it's a lovely bike.
  • SimonInd
    SimonInd Posts: 17
    Isn't this frame BB91 not BB86? or are they the same thing?
  • SimonInd wrote:

Have you considered starting a separate thread to discuss?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    SimonInd wrote:

Google

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/02/17/bot ... breakdown/
    The technology behind BB86/90 systems is similar to BB30, but it is designed to be used with existing external cup, two piece cranksets.
    BB86 and BB90 get their names from the width of the shell (86mm and 90mm wide), while BB30 got its name from the 30mm spindle diameter.
    Shimano’s own adaptation and proprietary interpretation of this technology is called the “Shimano Press Fit” bearing system. Shimano has not yet adapted any of their products to the BB30 system, and is instead investing its resources into its incompatible Press Fit systems.

also info here :
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=93103
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    My understanding, and prepared to be corrected. They are and they are not.

BB91 is shimano term. BB86 is SRAM term

A BB91 compatible fram, such as the CR1, will fit a BB86 bottom bracket. The frame housing is the same.

But a BB86 compatible crank will not fit into the BB91 bottom bracket with out an adaptor, or replacing the bottom bracket. Some links to the adaptors etc can be found in the recent threads in this or the bargain thread.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Lefthook wrote:
    My understanding, and prepared to be corrected. They are and they are not.

BB91 is shimano term. BB86 is SRAM term

A BB91 compatible fram, such as the CR1, will fit a BB86 bottom bracket. The frame housing is the same.

But a BB86 compatible crank will not fit into the BB91 bottom bracket with out an adaptor, or replacing the bottom bracket. Some links to the adaptors etc can be found in the recent threads in this or the bargain thread.

BB86 it is then! Thank you, sir!
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    If replacing the BB, then only thing to consider is how easy to remove the pre install BB91.

I understand that this needs a proper tool to drift out, so might be easier to get a LBS to do. I think videos on youtube of the removal install etc
  • its amazing how many have found their way on ebay, at around £650 each
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ooh! Just got an email saying mine's been despatched! Exciting!

It's going to be a bit frustrating cos we're off on holiday on Sunday for a week, then I've got an off-site 2 day meeting as soon as we get back :(
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Final piece of the CR1 build puzzle purchased from the the bay of dreams - Dura Ace 7800 calipers! Hopefully everything will turn up in the post before next Friday as I've booked a days holiday to assemble. Excited much?
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • keef66
    its amazing how many have found their way on ebay, at around £650 each

There's some bugger with about 8 of them all at £680 buy it now. I'll be pointing them out to my wife when I unveil my £499 bargain :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,688
    keef66 wrote:

There's some bugger with about 8 of them all at £680 buy it now. I'll be pointing them out to my wife when I unveil my £499 bargain :D
    Shortly before she lists one on the Bay?
  • keef66
    Veronese68 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Shortly before she lists one on the Bay?

Nooooo! She doesn't hold with all this internet auction malarkey. Not averse to a car boot sale though :shock:
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    dhope.... you have mail!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    The headset cups go in without a fight, the crown race is going to have to wait until i get down to screwfix for a bit of plastic pipe.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • keef66
    Well bugger me. When I told her about the purchase she said "why didn't you buy two and Ebay one of them?"

Come to think of it, why didn't I?

It's apparently coming in just over an hour. Excited!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of mine. Got email from Westbrook saying dispatched, then a text from Interlink Express saying would be delivered today, but their online tracker hasn't yet been updated from "Shipping details received, awaiting receipt of parcel". Re: fitting the headset, is this really straightforward as a DIY job, or is it safest to get it to a LBS?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of mine. Got email from Westbrook saying dispatched, then a text from Interlink Express saying would be delivered today, but their online tracker hasn't yet been updated from "Shipping details received, awaiting receipt of parcel". Re: fitting the headset, is this really straightforward as a DIY job, or is it safest to get it to a LBS?

It's a DIY job as long as you check everything twice before you do it and if it doesn't seem to be going right then stop and check again. My issue with the LBS is that you never really know how careful they are with your stuff. How do you know that the guy fitting the crown race hasn't stood the forks on the floor when he taps it down? I'd rather do it myself so that i know it's been done properly.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • keef66
    Well mine arrived smack in the middle of Interlink's 1 hour deliver slot, so top marks to them. All securely packed in the Original Scott box, which must weigh 5 times as much as the frame and forks. Frame proudly demonstrated to a gaggle of work colleagues who were suitably amazed by the extreme lightness of the thing. Press-fit Shimano BB already fitted. Little box inside the packaging with the bung, topcap, spacers, headset components and a Deda Dog-fang which I wasn't expecting but will be fitting. Well pleased :D
  • keef66
    Luv2ride wrote:

I had 3 emails from Westbrook updating me and 2 text messages from Interlink. Can't say they don't keep you informed!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    Just an idea, and feel free to shoot me down here.

Assuming there are perhaps 20 or so new cr1 owners on here, and some people have existing kit, but some people are after, in the main, 105 or Ultegra.
    Might it be worth approaching Merlin, Ribble or somewhere else with a decent starting price, and see if we can broker some kind of discount for a 'group buy'?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Daniel B wrote:
    Just an idea, and feel free to shoot me down here.

Assuming there are perhaps 20 or so new cr1 owners on here, and some people have existing kit, but some people are after, in the main, 105 or Ultegra.
    Might it be worth approaching Merlin, Ribble or somewhere else with a decent starting price, and see if we can broker some kind of discount for a 'group buy'?

I'm buying a Pro - but yes I would be interested in some discount on an Ultegra 6700 groupset.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    edited June 2013
    Duplicate annoying post.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18