cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cheers, sir.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I've ordered a Pro frame after missing out on the SL. It's still a good deal. I haven't got it yet hence no pics but there are plenty out there if you google Scott CR1 Pro 2012
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    @rse. Must have been a packing error at Ritchey. Not Westbrook's issue but I'll drop them a mail and see if they can swop me a correct sized bearing

Nice build MRS - and that weighs about 7kg?!

Bummer about the bearing - I'm sure Westbrook will sort it.

Thanks. Yes, as close as I can measure on bathroom scales (with me then me & the bike). It probably slightly over 7kg but just a smidge. 7.1 or 7.2kg

Westbrook told me that they had had issues with a few of the medium frame headsets and were getting in touch with Scott to sort it out - not sure how long it'll take so may just take the frame to the LBS and get them to source a replacement bearing, fit the headset & cut the steerer.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Shouldn't take more than a day or two to source a bearing
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've ordered a Pro frame after missing out on the SL. It's still a good deal. I haven't got it yet hence no pics but there are plenty out there if you google Scott CR1 Pro 2012

It looks nice. Thinking about one as a UK sportive / dry weather training bike for myself, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well i'm sort of annoyed i didnt buy a couple and flog the spares on ebay as they've been selling for £680 which is still a bargain IMO - i've toyed with selling this one but you know what, no i'm going to try and sell almost all of my other bikes and reduce the stable from 12 to 5-6 :shock:

I know but really Greg66 was so right when he said to me years ago ride the best bike you can afford. I went out yesterday into a brutal headwind on the first ride of my Cervelo R5 and even stopping to make set up adjustments I set 3 of the fastest times ever without trying.

This frame is set to become my dry weather commuter :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I think I am leaning towards 2 pairs (for the sl and the contessa) of fulcrum racing 5's which I hope to bag for circa £150 Per pair.

Anyone have an opinion on them?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Daniel B wrote:
    I think I am leaning towards 2 pairs (for the sl and the contessa) of fulcrum racing 5's which I hope to bag for circa £150 Per pair.

Anyone have an opinion on them?

Bombproof, great hubs (campagnolo) but not the lightest. Stretch to 3's if you can. Bike-discount had them for £326 a pair.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    Best place to pick up Jagwire full cable set?
    <BR sab="1326"><BR sab="1327">Got mine on ebay for £22

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a94297 ... hwarz.html
  • markhewitt1978
    Does anyone have a geometry chart for the SL or Pro (are they the same?)?

I've read lots about the CR1 having a taller head tube so I'm wondering if I going to need a different stem*, but then my Trek 2.1 also talks about a taller head tube so it would be useful to see some measurements.

*I've fitted a stem to raise the bars a little, but it's white so would probably have to swap it out anyway!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    They are the same geometry. Even the tube shapes are the same. The only difference is the type of carbon used.

You might not need to change your stem, you might achieve the same results by turning it over. Depends on the lengths and angles involved.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Adam_G
    Adam_G Posts: 35
    Posted a quick build review of mine on another forum, thought I'd share it with you guys... Thanks for lots of helpful advice on this thread!
    =========================================
    Built mine up on Saturday, first impressions are that it's a very stiff frame, but very harsh. Climbs beautifully and feels rock solid in a sprint, but it's so harsh at the back, I checked my back tyre as I thought I could feel the rim!
    I'd read some reviews that say this is a comfy sportive-style frame... No idea where that came from! The front end is 40mm lower than my Cervelo R5, so certainly not "sportive" geometry, but probably more towards the relaxed end of the race geometry spectrum.
    And did I mention it was a bit harsh at the rear? I rode over an empty crisp packet and could tell what flavour they were!
    But overall, very pleased with it for the money - as a dedicated crit race bike it's perfect. I certainly don't think I could have got better for the money.
    Maybe I've been a bit spoilt with the R5, but I think I'd be disappointed if I'd paid £2.2k for one of these - the finish isn't what you would expect in that price bracket, and it's poles apart from the R5 in terms of ride quality. But overall, a proper bargain and a cracking frame.

Build:
    Drivetrain - Ultegra/105 mix
    Chainset - FSA SLK Carbon 53/39 (11-25 on the back)
    Giant SL seatpost, FSA carbon stem, Easton EA50 bars
    Ultegra wheels with Conti Gator Protection tyres
    Selle Italia SLK Saddle

Not weighed the full build, but the frame/forks/headset/BB came in at 1300g, the Giant TCR C3 it replaced was 1800g.

Scott_zpsb528d3e2.jpg
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Adam_G wrote:
    Posted a quick build review of mine on another forum[...]
    You are Shibboleth & I claim my five pounds.
    Other than that, looks sweet and in no way makes me wish I'd joined the fray; no sirree!
  • Adam_G
    Guilty as charged DrLex!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Westbrook told me you could tap the bottom bracket out. Like hell! Had to invest in a Park Tool to do the job and await its delivery. Also took an age to get the headset to seat correctly so there was no play. So still not fully built but only the chainset to fit and gears to setup.

Better be bloody worth it as its been a right royal pain in the arse.
  • Adam_G
    Another tip for anyone trying to fit the headset cups with a Cyclus-style headset press - you'll find the steps on the conical drifts don't fit into the cups so it won't push them in straight.

If you turn the drifts round, the wide flat base fits perfectly and drifts them in nice and straight.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hmmm. Slightly worried that this frame comes out on the "harsh" side. Has anyone else got any reviews of ride quality? I'm a big fan of going ever so slightly slower and not buzzing the hell out of myself.

Current ride is a Spesh Roubaix.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    It will be harsher than your Roubaix.

When I bought my CR1 Pro I tested the Roubaix and Madone, both of which were like floating on a magic carpet over the road. That's not a sensation I liked so I went for the CR1 as it was more 'connected' to the road.

I run my CR1 with decent 25mm tyres like Vittoria Open Pave or Veloflex Masters and I think it gets the perfect balance.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Adam_G
    It's a race bike Davis! It's going to be a lot harsher than a Roubaix. It's not Foil/Venge harsh, but it's harsher than my R5 and the outgoing TCR.

We're not talking bone shaker - just a very direct-feeling ride. It doesn't feel particularly skittish though, so I'd say it's the rear stays that lack compliance. One of those things you notice fort the first few miles after riding a different bike but then it becomes the norm. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're after something comparable to the Roubaix, you're probably not going to get that.
  • markhewitt1978
    Strange, Scott make a big thing about the compliance of the CR1 and how good it is at flattening the bumps, so all of that is BS?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    edited June 2013
    Ok. Harsher than the Roubaix I can probably cope with, although I think I'll be careful with tyre choice. The only other thing I've got as a reference point is a CAAD 9 (blissful, heavenly ride on Australian roads) and a Focus Cayo (like riding an angry ferret downstairs).

Ta

[Edit] I 'spose the only other thing of note is I don't wear padded shorts. Ha! Take that, convention!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I have been measuring my bike and wonder if I have bought the wrong fit. I currently run a 30 degree stem, so have a total rise about my headset of around 9.5cm. My headtube is 15cm, so given the 56 has 17.6 and say another 5cm in spacers I thought I would be OK with a 10 degree stem (2cm of rise).

However, it looks like I can only run 3cm on the headset, which means I will still be too low. The 58 ramps this up to 19.6cm headtube which may work better for me.

Am I correct in this or should I suck it and see, so to speak?
  • Adam_G
    It's difficult to compare as you can only really liken it to what you're most used to riding. I rode a Canondale Supersix recently, and a Foil, and I would say the Supersix gave similar feedback, the Foil a little more... But probably no more than changing shorts!
    Made me realise just how good the R5 is... To be honest, I'm quite reassured to see the "get-what-you-pay-for" theory still stands up to scrutiny. It's certainly an excellent frame, and at £499 it's unbeatable. The R5 is simply astonishingly good though!
  • markhewitt1978
    Particularly as I'd been looking to get a Trek Domane but went with the CR1 Pro instead -- too good a deal to pass up!

I would hope it would be nicer than my Trek 2.1 as that's an aluminium frame, and this is full carbon, I guess we'll have to see!

Ride quality is a funny thing, e.g. On gravel roads I would have expected my old hybrid with fat tyres to ride better than my road bike with 23mm slicks, but in fact the road bike is far more comfortable.
  • Ride quality is a funny thing, e.g. On gravel roads I would have expected my old hybrid with fat tyres to ride better than my road bike with 23mm slicks, but in fact the road bike is far more comfortable.

Likewise my Equilibrium on 120 PSI, 23mm tyres is waaaaay more comfy than my Day One on 35mm tyres at 60 PSI.
  • Adam_G
    I don't think a 30.6 seat tube helps...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Funny - I've not ridden Charlie's far (it's a 52 and I take a 58) but I got absolutely no sense of it being harsh. And that's coming from the Volagi that's designed to be compliant in the vertical direction (the whole idea behind the Longbow seat stays)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    I wouldn't say it was harsh, I would say that you can feel the road beneath you.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Asprilla wrote:
    I wouldn't say it was harsh, I would say that you can feel the road beneath you.

That's good news! It's exactly what I was after in my new bike. I took a gorgeous Enigma Esprit out for a test ride a couple of weeks ago, and although it was crazy comfortable, I found the ride quality to be soulless as a result.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Ride quality is a funny thing, e.g. On gravel roads I would have expected my old hybrid with fat tyres to ride better than my road bike with 23mm slicks, but in fact the road bike is far more comfortable.

Likewise my Equilibrium on 120 PSI, 23mm tyres is waaaaay more comfy than my Day One on 35mm tyres at 60 PSI.

That is weird, I thought the dayone would be like floating on a cloud on those thicker tires.