Giro del Trentino *spoiler*

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Reminds me of the 1990 Tour de France when 4 men escaped and won by 10 mins.
    It took Lemond till the stage 19 TT to get the Yellow Jersey off Chiappucci who finished 2nd on GC in Paris.

Vaguely remember the Ship Builders protest at the St Nazaire bridge which help the break.
    If I remember correctly, that was very much like today - a morning stage with a TTT in the afternoon. Bauer and Pensec in the group too - quality riders - utter madness.
    Yep, and Frans Maassen, classics winner, as fourth. The weird thing was that Chiappucci was the unknown one of he four, and people expected Pensec to hang in longest.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Well, last time I recall something like this happening was 2010 Giro and that didn't turn out too badly as a spectacle did it?

Will be fun ticking off the escapees as they're slowly broken stage-by-stage...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I know I shouldn't take the mickey out of translations, but I will :oops: this amused me greatly on the Trentino website....
    Sir Wiggins raising the voice at TTT Team Sky express train on schedule]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Just watching my Rai recording.
    Quite right, the peloton couldn't be bothered.
    Battaglin finally wins a bunch sprint..............for 9th.
    Nowt wrong with the finish run in, either.

Awful coverage of the TTT.
    No shots of any team finishing.
    (feed broke down with Sky coming home)
    No times, except at the end.

Hope Eurosport can patch something better together.........but I doubt it.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Suck on it
    bouet2_2930602.jpg

Sky overreacting
    sky4_2930592.jpg
    Trentinopodium453_2930623.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lampre coming through
    Lampre_2930615_zps7e34d4fa.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Nice edit on the Lampre photo, I'd like to see a kit along those lines with a fairly dull base colour and super bright highlights. Not sure Sky are over-reacting, looks like they are just having a bit of fun which is nice to see with their reputation for being so serious. Interesting that they have finally won a TTT.

ETA would love to see the Colombia rider win but wouldn't be surprised to see someone come through and take it from the main favourites group still.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I thought Sky were automated, passionless robots?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I thought Sky were automated, passionless robots?

he even smiles sometimes!

wiggins-froome_2281868b.jpg
  • This little fella from Columbia might be about to win Trentino:

RODRIGUEZ-COLOMBIA-290X436.jpg

Bouet will probably take it, but you never know. Not sure about Cerny - seems to be an ice hockey player...
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    FJS wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Reminds me of the 1990 Tour de France when 4 men escaped and won by 10 mins.
    It took Lemond till the stage 19 TT to get the Yellow Jersey off Chiappucci who finished 2nd on GC in Paris.

Vaguely remember the Ship Builders protest at the St Nazaire bridge which help the break.
    If I remember correctly, that was very much like today - a morning stage with a TTT in the afternoon. Bauer and Pensec in the group too - quality riders - utter madness.
    Yep, and Frans Maassen, classics winner, as fourth. The weird thing was that Chiappucci was the unknown one of he four, and people expected Pensec to hang in longest.
    Now I've cheated and looked it up.
    You do remember correctly, that was very much like today - a morning stage with a TTT in the afternoon. Bauer and Pensec in the 4 man group.
    Frans Maassen (Ned) won the morning stage but Bauer (Canada) took the yellow jersey for 9 days followed by Pensec (France) 2 days and Claudio (Italy) for 8 days before the Time Trialist took it for the ride into Paris.
    They all got something from that break.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    This little fella from Columbia might be about to win Trentino:

RODRIGUEZ-COLOMBIA-290X436.jpg

Bouet will probably take it, but you never know. Not sure about Cerny - seems to be an ice hockey player...

Not sure Quintana wants anyone stealing his limelight!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Those photos of Team Sky on the podium of the Trentino TTT celebrating their victory show that they lack class. They should've been wearing dinner suits, too: none of this "sports wear". Anything more than a meek smile and limp wave indicates a disrespect of the traditions of our glorious sport.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Those photos of Team Sky on the podium of the Trentino TTT celebrating their victory show that they lack class. They should've been wearing dinner suits, too: none of this "sports wear". Anything more than a meek smile and limp wave indicates a disrespect of the traditions of our glorious sport.
    The champagne wasn't even chilled and I suspect it was an inferior vintage. The BBC wouldn't stand for it that's for sure.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    What's with Cataldo's kit, is he Italian time trial champion? Very nice anyway, prefer it to the the regular kit.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    BigMat wrote:
    What's with Cataldo's kit, is he Italian time trial champion?
    Yes he is.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Sky overreacting

It pleases me that, despite the stereotype they have been given, Sky are much less humorless than some of the posters on this forum.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Sky would revert back to type after a severe ticking off but they forgot their Rapha kit. Here they are on the Death Star before today's stage...

i-robot-2004-42-g.jpg
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Lampre coming through
    Lampre_2930615_zps7e34d4fa.jpg

OK what do we need to do to get this the official team kit, even if its not in the sponsors colours surly they could live with it if its a TT kit as it will certainly stand out and probably get them better PR coverage.

Cheers for posting
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    live coverage kicks off in 25 mins

current situation:

Km 145: Savini (Ceramiche Flaminia) has 1'42" over 4 guys - Gazvoda (Champion System), Gil Martinez (Androni), Schwarzmann (NetApp), Coledan (Bardiani)

Peloton 6'15" back

They've gone over the first cat 1, Passo Lavazè. Today's a summit finish on another Cat 1.

McEvoy (NetApp) had a chut at 80-odd kms and has been carted off to hospital
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Good highlights package from yesterday, no? :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • danlikesbikes
    @Blazing Saddles have to say that the ES highlights were a little odd guess its the usual host broadcaster issues again
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    Yes ES you should have put a bleep on it, oh well shows that some riders do still have some fun on the podium.

Edit: for those not watching live ES coverage are just doing the normal shake down and showing short highlights of yesterday & the Sky celebration with an open mic and a few 'choice' words being used on the podium.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Profile for today. The last 5km undulates with 3kms of 9.5% (source - Steephill appropriately!).

profile-02.jpg
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Afternoon all, just tuned in. Has it been eventful so far today?
  • danlikesbikes
    Nothing to much to write about, looks like they are all waiting for this last climb which is not that far off. One rider out front and looking strong, 5 man group behind and looking good but think the real fireworks are about to kick off on the climb.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Is CCC Polstat a sister company of Sky and hence no work by Sky to catch yesterday's break??
    I think the commentator mentioned the above.

Wheels within wheels as Duffers used to say.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    on euro sprot now - I love kirby - "the suavest smallest man on the planet" :lol:

Coledan 1-50 odd to the peloton - a group of 4 in between. 20k to go - no hurry in the peloton to catch them yet - but a big climb looming :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.