Giro del Trentino *spoiler*

Comments

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    I think that considering this is SKY and the every aspect covered approach.

This was training for Wiggins being isolated against Nibs et al.
    It's probably going to happen a few times in the Giro so why not practice the exact scenario.

Think you may have hit the nail on the head. Coupled with 'everyone expects Sky to ride tempo tactic', Sky do look like they are practising alternative scenarios.

Get the feeling they are looking at the 1-2 attack on hills. Send someone up the road, everyone else has to close it down, leaving team resources to protect designated leader. They've got so many strings to their bow now it would make sense to do this if it's all together on the start of the climb, saving riding tempo if they've missed the break.

Good side effect for them as a team is the helpers getting wins; has Sky's win rate gone down this year compared to this time last year? I know they are still UCI #1 ranked.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

It's probably going to happen a few times in the Giro so why not practice the exact scenario.

Think you may have hit the nail on the head. Coupled with 'everyone expects Sky to ride tempo tactic', Sky do look like they are practising alternative scenarios.

Get the feeling they are looking at the 1-2 attack on hills. Send someone up the road, everyone else has to close it down, leaving team resources to protect designated leader. They've got so many strings to their bow now it would make sense to do this if it's all together on the start of the climb, saving riding tempo if they've missed the break.

Good side effect for them as a team is the helpers getting wins; has Sky's win rate gone down this year compared to this time last year? I know they are still UCI #1 ranked.

Why change a winning tactic and start throwing all these new scenarios out there though? They destroyed everyone last year whats the need to mess around with things. Also why I can't understand this new Kerrison 'race less, train more' cr*p - Wiggins had the most productive season any rider has had for years last year.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

Very similar returns.

At this point last year:
    11 wins, 2 stage race overalls (Algarve, Paris-Nice), 6 different winners
    This year:
    12 wins, 3 stage race overalls (Oman, Crit-Int, Paris-Nice), 5 different winners

Only real difference is 6 sprint wins in 2012 vs 0 this year.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

What Turfle says. Basically no sprintage but more GC wins on top of stages.
  • Richmond Racer

Why change a winning tactic and start throwing all these new scenarios out there though? They destroyed everyone last year whats the need to mess around with things. Also why I can't understand this new Kerrison 'race less, train more' cr*p - Wiggins had the most productive season any rider has had for years last year.

You cant understand Kerrison's 'race less, train more' approach, yet acknowledge that Wiggins had the year he did - which was based on this very approach?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Who is that idiot commentating g/f asks ? - Carlton Kirby i said. He is S***e isnt he. no protest here :D

"Evans is CHUGGING here" - cue the schoolboy sniggers from the back of the class.

"Wiggins is Smiling here @ 2kms to go" WTF it's a all out effort you bawbag.

Yesterday he said Hello to a guy waving on camera. Yes that guy was Giro winner Gibo Simoni.

Ive probably missed a few other twatish comments thats when he's not laughing at his own jokes :evil:

He did mention it was simoni - it was a montage during the beginning of the broadcast. I like him - him and smith are a great double act
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LeicesterLad

You cant understand Kerrison's 'race less, train more' approach, yet acknowledge that Wiggins had the year he did - which was based on this very approach?

Really? Thought the new approach started this year.

Wouldnt have classed riding Algarve, Paris-Nice, Catalunya, Romandy, Dauphine as 'race less, train more'?

Oh well, Not sure why your getting all defensive again, wasn't even a criticism of riders/talent/doping etc was just as simple as Why change something thats bringing success?

Wiggins hasn't had great success this year and has hardly raced - Froome and Porte have had much better success and seem to have raced more too.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Tiralongo and scarponi in a breakaway of 9 - 3'30 on the peloton
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

He did mention it was simoni - it was a montage during the beginning of the broadcast. I like him - him and smith are a great double act

Know that the ES commentators come in for a lot of stick but I quite like them as a team
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378

Wouldnt have classed riding Portugal, Paris-Nice, Romandy, Dauphine as 'race less, train more'?

Oh well, Not sure why your getting all defensive again, wasn't even a criticism of riders/talent/doping etc was just as simple as Why change something thats bringing success?

Wiggins hasn't had great success this year and has hardly raced - Froome and Porte have had much better success and seem to have raced more too.

'Train More/Race less' was definitely the policy last year also. Big thing of it made in the WigBook etc etc. Seems to make sense - he basically says that unless he's out in the wind or doing something special, many of the races are at a lower level of intensity than his training (ie it isn't about over-training - almost the opposite!).

I was really worried about Bigwigs motivation for 2013 and struggled to see how he could put himself through the mill again, when 2012 will always be his reference point (ie high water point). Not sure how - but I believe he has managed to draw motivation from somewhere (C Froome?) and I'd be pretty certain he's going to have a good stab at the Giro.

This race? It might now be about having a bit of fun and orchestrating some wins for the hired help. The shots of them all spraying their champagne showed you just how happy this bunch are right now. No pressure makes for a very happy bigwig.

I see Sky doing big things for the remainder of this race.
  • Richmond Racer

Wouldnt have classed riding Algarve, Paris-Nice, Catalunya, Romandy, Dauphine as 'race less, train more'?

LL, by debating this point, I'm not being defensive for goodness sake - I'm debating the point, no more no less.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    It does seem that Wiggins has raced less this year than last or at least last year he had raced more seriously more often this season. Considering his main target is earlier in the season you would have expected it the opposite way around.

The big question for Sky will be whether they can put out two support teams that are able to cover both the Giro and Tour without getting burnt out by the final week in France whilst giving both Wiggins and Froome equally strong riders. Froome is unlikely to be happy if he gets lesser riders or the A team are knackered by mid July.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    This all won't take very long.
    Great weather and scenery.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LeicesterLad
    tremayne wrote:

Wouldnt have classed riding Portugal, Paris-Nice, Romandy, Dauphine as 'race less, train more'?

'Train More/Race less' was definitely the policy last year also. Big thing of it made in the WigBook etc etc. Seems to make sense - he basically says that unless he's out in the wind or doing something special, many of the races are at a lower level of intensity than his training (ie it isn't about over-training - almost the opposite!).

I was really worried about Bigwigs motivation for 2013 and struggled to see how he could put himself through the mill again, when 2012 will always be his reference point (ie high water point). Not sure how - but I believe he has managed to draw motivation from somewhere (C Froome?) and I'd be pretty certain he's going to have a good stab at the Giro.

This race? It might now be about having a bit of fun and orchestrating some wins for the hired help. The shots of them all spraying their champagne showed you just how happy this bunch are right now. No pressure makes for a very happy bigwig.

I see Sky doing big things for the remainder of this race.

Didn't realise then. Remember start of the year press and mags etc were making a massive deal out of the 'race less, train more' thing so just assumed it was new.

Even so, Wiggins raced 30+ days ahead of Tour last year,

This year he's raced 15 days (and not properly)
  • Richmond Racer
    This all won't take very long.
    Great weather and scenery.

Good cos I have a 2.30 meeting and want to see the finish.

I do like Big Maggy's commentary...even though he's turned to the dark side i.e. triathlon... :(
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Is there a race on?

Don't see much info about today's stage other than the breakaway.

BradleyWigginsNibali_2931103.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I am going to give carlton a grudging shout.... he as made an effort and has moved himself from excruciating to almost bearable as a commentator. seriously..
    Seriously? He was awful. Couldn't get Gianni Savio's name right!
    Poor Magnus sounds REALLY embarrassed! CK never stops talking - I spend my time shouting 'for god's sake shut up'.
    My wife's comment is "Turn it off then".
    I think Chuckles is marginally better than Mrs Harmon who has taken a lot of trouble to learn riders palmares but not how to commentate.
    Each rider he mentions is, "I like this rider and I think he, etc, etc. and he did so & so. (Talk about this race please)
    Then at the sight of a crash she wets her knickers and sounds like a cat in trouble. (or is it a Fox)
    Conclusion is that we "Mute" Harmon a lot more than Chuckles
    Mute Maggy so much more than Smithy or Kelly.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • danlikesbikes
    Gap now down to 1'27 so falling at quite a rate for this climb
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Just turned it on to see Scarponi attack.

Who's were and what's happening? 20k to go.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • danlikesbikes
    SCARPONI suddenly attacks of the front splintering the lead group and the time is back up to 1'30 now he is with TIRALONGO
  • tailwindhome
    edited April 2013
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • danlikesbikes
    edited April 2013
    Some confusion over the time gaps but looks like it is correct @ 2'07 to the peloton with SANTAROMITA making it up to the front to make 3 all working on the downhill
  • tailwindhome
    That leaders jersey is woeful.
  • danlikesbikes
    Front 3 SANTAROMITA, SCARPONI & TIRALONGO seem to be undecided if they want to work together lots of looking around at each other, need to get their heads down if they want to keep this gap.

As I say that the peloton all having a go at each other as to who is going to ride this breakaway down!
  • danlikesbikes
    DUARTE Team columbia off the front of the peloton with a few seconds and growing. Peloton look like they are not going to ride this gap down as it is just seem to be rolling along.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    These picture feed issues are down to Eurosport. Rai is fine, Sporza was yesterday.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • danlikesbikes
    edited April 2013
    SCARPONI appears to be winding up TIRALONGO by not doing a full turn or just soft peddling on the front now with approx 4kms to go

Edit actually down to 2kms to go
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Scarponi is a big attacker. Tiralongo also. Quality riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    1km to go with no change and lots of looking over the shoulders at each other
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Who is the onus on to chase here? Is the race leader still in the front group and if so do AG2R have the strength to chase (or do they think they haven't got a chance anyway?).