Giro del Trentino *spoiler*

18910111214»

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Are we that used to boring ascents that we forget to shout out when we've actually seen a brilliant one!? ;)

Today was one. Ridiculously good.
    Huh? How was that ridiculously good? What could have been interesting had the life sucked out of it by the Astana train.

Attacks and chaos 6 km from the finish on an epic climb. I loved it.

And regarding Wiggins' form. He looked in pretty good form to me.. Couldn't figure out if he was bluffing or it was his mechanical when he placed himself at the end of the group. He had no trouble moving up positions when needed to.

Tend to agree that it was an exciting stage with plenty of action all round, bit of drama and some stinging attacks can't see whats not to like about.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Are we that used to boring ascents that we forget to shout out when we've actually seen a brilliant one!? ;)

Huh? How was that ridiculously good? What could have been interesting had the life sucked out of it by the Astana train.

And regarding Wiggins' form. He looked in pretty good form to me.. Couldn't figure out if he was bluffing or it was his mechanical when he placed himself at the end of the group. He had no trouble moving up positions when needed to.

So you're saying Wiggo bluffed a mechanical so he didn't have to square up to Nibs further up the hill?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I did enjoy that bike toss though. 10k bike thrown against the wall and beautifully parked... My missus would kill me if I did that
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

So you're saying Wiggo bluffed a mechanical so he didn't have to square up to Nibs further up the hill?

Think this refers to the shots of him looking down at his front mech and seemingly spinning the cranks whilst at the back of the group and drifted off then he just seemed to sprint back to the group for a while. I certainly though it was a bit of bluff & think the ES commentators also posed the questions. Then the cameras went off other riders & then back and we saw the spectacular bike parking incident.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Milton50 wrote:
    Pfft. Sounds like a great stage and there's no highlights on eurosport until tomorrow morning. I guess I'll just have to hope that someone uploads it to youtube by this evening.

Highlights on Eurosport HD2 now.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Where were the attacks? Santambrogio would have attacked if he could but the high tempo set by Astana neutralised everyone and then Nibali, in the absence of Wiggins, dieseled his way to the top. It was an impressive display from Astana but the antithesis of chaotic.

Edit: Just to be clear, I did quite enjoy it but 'brilliant''? Seriously?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Where were the attacks? Santambrogio would have attacked if he could but the high tempo set by Astana neutralised everyone and then Nibali, in the absence of Wiggins, dieseled his way to the top. It was an impressive display from Astana but the antithesis of chaotic.

Compared to the rubbish mtf-stages I've witness the last many times I thought it was brilliant, yes.

But alright.. Might want to save that 'brilliant' for another good time.

I thought it was refreshing and a very, very good end to the stage.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Compared to the rubbish mtf-stages I've witness the last many times I thought it was brilliant, yes.

So you didn't watch País Vasco then? I'd have said this stage was on a par with the final time trial for excitement and not a patch on either of the two mountain stages. For me, it was blatantly obvious Nibali was going to win the stage from at least 4 km to go and the only potential excitement of whether Bouet might hang on for the GC was totally ignored by the coverage.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Not the coverage that I saw where Kirby and Backstedt were gripped by whether Bouet would make it or not.

Say it quietly, but Kirby is growing on me. He seems to have done some work and be doing better this year.

Why would Wiggins fake a mechanical and then work twice as hard by himself to try and get back on?

Good win for Nibs - beaten Froome and Wiggins in stage races now, but not comprehensive enough to be a real "teller" for the Giro
  • thomthom
    About my "did Wiggins bluff" - it obviously wasn't the mechanical I questioned. It was just whether he pretended to be in trouble in general as he had no problems catching the front of the peloton when needed to.
  • thomthom
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

So you didn't watch País Vasco then? I'd have said this stage was on a par with the final time trial for excitement and not a patch on either of the two mountain stages. For me, it was blatantly obvious Nibali was going to win the stage from at least 4 km to go and the only potential excitement of whether Bouet might hang on for the GC was totally ignored by the coverage.

Good for you. :--)

I liked it and was happy it wasn't a 1km race for once.
  • mroli wrote:
    Not the coverage that I saw where Kirby and Backstedt were gripped by whether Bouet would make it or not.

Say it quietly, but Kirby is growing on me. He seems to have done some work and be doing better this year.

Why would Wiggins fake a mechanical and then work twice as hard by himself to try and get back on?

Good win for Nibs - beaten Froome and Wiggins in stage races now, but not comprehensive enough to be a real "teller" for the Giro

Doesn't seem to have been a fake according to the team on CN interview, but was complicated by not being his first mechanical of the day with one on the previous climb as well. I can't seem to find any comment as to whether the pre-TV mechanical resulted in a bike change though.

Replacement bike seems to have had the wrong gears on as well, suggesting maybe that he was already on his spare and had to switch to an incorrectly set up bike (someone elses?) on the second mechanical of the day.

Either way, great win for Nibali and enjoyed the precision bike parking incident...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Go Nibali, Go Aru, Evans was there. Good to see Santambrogio continuing to perform well since leaving BMC and being able to ride in his own right.

Stage 4 Results
    ITA 1 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA PRO TEAM) 4:21:48
    ITA 2 SANTAMBROGIO, Mauro (VINI FANTINI - SELLE ITALIA) + 8
    POL 3 NIEMIEC, Przemyslaw (LAMPRE-MERIDA) + 44
    ITA 4 ARU, Fabio (ASTANA PRO TEAM)
    AUS 5 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING TEAM) + 1:02

ITA 6 LOCATELLI, Stefano (BARDIANI VALVOLE - CSF INOX) + 1:10
    ITA 7 PIRAZZI, Stefano (BARDIANI VALVOLE - CSF INOX) + 1:35
    ESP 8 GARCIA, Marcos (CAJA RURAL - SEGUROS RGA) + 1:37
    GBR 9 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING) + 1:39
    FRA 10 ROLLAND, Pierre (TEAM EUROPCAR) + 2:20

Aru not the prettiest in the bunch and the Astana kit is incredibly ugly.
    t13_2932293.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    has anyone ever seen Fabio Aru and Daniel Navarro in the same room together?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    t13_2932293.jpg

The string vest look isn't great either!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Go Nibali, Go Aru, Evans was there. Good to see Santambrogio continuing to perform well since leaving BMC and being able to ride in his own right.

t13_2932293.jpg

Makes your tan look sh!t hot though.
  • That's spoiled fishnets for good.