Sagan's antics and podium girls

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited April 2013
    emadden wrote:
    ...meanwhile over in Belgium (and in particular in Oudenaarde this morning where Fabian Cancellara turned up to meet his "fan Club" at the De Ronde Museeum) nobody was really was paying much attention to this or making any song and dance. Perhaps its just a British thing with the ever powerful PC brigade?
    Not true. It's reported quite prominently in the Flemish media. And they're certainly not more forgiving. They even found he's a serial offender: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cn ... 130402_063 .
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I've always thought that the whole podium girl thing is a mild embarrassment for cycling as a sport, especially as for people who don't follow cycling the majority of the images they are exposed to are probably podium presentations with the winner sandwiched between the girls. As well as objectifying women, reinforcing sexist stereotypes etc, the whole thing is just cringingly contrived and absurd, especially when the women (who have been selected for their catwalk figures) tower several inches above some tiny climber and have to stoop to kiss him. It's always a relief to watch the Tour of Qatar and see half dignified presentations more worthy of the achievement.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    All winners should be presented by a local dignitary and all runners up snogged by Hinault
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    neeb wrote:
    I've always thought that the whole podium girl thing is a mild embarrassment for cycling as a sport, .

I haven't been following this discussion but are podium girls in cycling any different from cheerleaders in rugby league and football, or girls who stand next to the cars in F1?
  • I like podium girls. Maybe in the interest of sexual equality someone should sort out podium guys for women's cycling. Or girls and men for both men's and women's cycling, if we could be so progressive! (within scope). Buff, tanned guys in thin white lycra. No chamois. Then, in this bright and happy future, we can lust over one another equally.
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • neeb
    Milton50 wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    I've always thought that the whole podium girl thing is a mild embarrassment for cycling as a sport, .

I haven't been following this discussion but are podium girls in cycling any different from cheerleaders in rugby league and football, or girls who stand next to the cars in F1?
    No, not any different really - Formula 1 immediately occurred to me as having something very similar (maybe that's where cycling got the idea from for all I know), but everyone knows that's a huge money-fuelled media circus glorifying macho stereotypes and materialist car culture in any case. :wink: I don't follow rugby league or football, but aren't cheerleaders a recent thing in football? They are very much a U.S.culture thing.
  • neeb wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    neeb wrote:

No, not any different really - Formula 1 immediately occurred to me as having something very similar (maybe that's where cycling got the idea from for all I know), but everyone knows that's a huge money-fuelled media circus glorifying macho stereotypes and materialist car culture in any case. :wink: I don't follow rugby league or football, but aren't cheerleaders a recent thing in football? They are very much a U.S.culture thing.
    And let's not get started on "beer wenches"
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    neeb wrote:
    As well as objectifying women, reinforcing sexist stereotypes etc, the whole thing is just cringingly contrived and absurd, especially when the women (who have been selected for their catwalk figures) tower several inches above some tiny climber and have to stoop to kiss him.

Why shouldnt the women be taller, isnt that reinforcing a sexist stereotype? :wink::D
  • neeb
    Why shouldnt the women be taller, isnt that reinforcing a sexist stereotype? :wink::D
    I actually thought of that myself as I was writing it.. :wink: But seriously, the problem is that they are /always/ tall, i.e. they have to conform to the unnatural stereotype of the skinny, leggy fashion model. Shorter, ampler women need not apply.. The fact that male pro cyclists are often fairly short just acts to highlight this.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    There plenty of pretty women who are happy to use their looks to earn a crust. Ugly women need to get over this.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Love podium girls but it is also a bit juvenile and when women
    on same day are not deemed worth tv,
    perhaps insulting women are shown on
    Tv for beauty only. Get rid of them or
    give the female RVV winners media.
    Get both genders from the race on
    the podium
  • neeb
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    There plenty of pretty women who are happy to use their looks to earn a crust. Ugly women need to get over this.
    Of course there are, if there's a market people will supply it. The point is whether cycling (and other organisations / society in general) should be creating/sustaining this market.

And it's not about pretty vs. ugly either - the podium girl look represents a very narrow view of attractiveness, that whole bland ideal of physical perfection that ties in with celebrity culture and other such inanities. There are plenty of gorgeous women who wouldn't get a look in for that job because they don't fit the mold.
  • dave_1
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Gazz , if podium girls trained 1200 miles a
    month they would't look so hot...I would be ok
    if the girl winners got on podium with the
    male winners..no need barbies
  • neeb
    Jesus, I cannot believe the furore this has caused. So he grabbed some fit bird's @rse - who gives a sh*t? He's a young lad and is acting his age, I really do not see the problem.
    The problem is that he's a professional and has responsibilities to represent cycling in an appropriate way in public, whatever he gets up to elsewhere. Pro cyclists can't be allowed to be seen to be doing something acceptable if they pinch women's arses in an official event in public.
    The Guardian readers need to put their dildos away and quit bitching as well, I've never read such lezzer, tree-hugging crap in my life.
    Maybe you should read the Guardian more often then instead of the Daily Mail or whatever crap you get these attitudes from.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

What difference does it make? Beauty has always been associated with victory and power. So it has been, may it always be.
  • TMR
    neeb wrote:
    The problem is that he's a professional and has responsibilities to represent cycling in an appropriate way in public, whatever he gets up to elsewhere. Pro cyclists can't be allowed to be seen to be doing something acceptable if they pinch women's arses in an official event in public.

He does represent cycling in a professional way. Grabbing a girl's bottom doesn't even begin to constitute unprofessional in my book. It's light hearted. People getting their panties in a bunch over things like this is utterly pathetic.
    Maybe you should read the Guardian more often then instead of the Daily Mail or whatever crap you get these attitudes from.

Daily Mail? mod: removed
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    Boxing also use pretty woman in a much more seductive way. Its just the way it is. If I burst my b@lls for 5 hours in the saddle, a kiss from a fit woman would be very welcomed
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • neeb
    neeb wrote:

He does represent cycling in a professional way. Grabbing a girl's bottom doesn't even begin to constitute unprofessional in my book. It's light hearted. People getting their panties in a bunch over things like this is utterly pathetic.
    I'd assume you must be joking if your other comments didn't suggest that you really are that effing stupid.
    neeb wrote:

Daily Mail? Perhaps you should go f*ck yourself. Prick.
    :roll: I see I've hit a nerve... Don't know what your problem is but you really need to expand your horizons / get some dickhead management therapy or whatever.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    neeb wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Of course there are, if there's a market people will supply it. The point is whether cycling (and other organisations / society in general) should be creating/sustaining this market.

And it's not about pretty vs. ugly either - the podium girl look represents a very narrow view of attractiveness, that whole bland ideal of physical perfection that ties in with celebrity culture and other such inanities. There are plenty of gorgeous women who wouldn't get a look in for that job because they don't fit the mold.
    They fit a mold because they are generally working models. And they fit a mold because clients don't want to have accomodate a range of sizes. It so much easier for them if models come a basic standard size. As do mannequins.

It's like with Star Wars and the stormtroopers. They made a load suits to fit six foot people and then hired six foot extras. They didn't make a huge load of sizes to accomodate a range of people.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

What difference does it make? Beauty has always been associated with victory and power. So it has been, may it always be.

So ignore women racing...no need they show up to race...looking pretty
    is what matters
  • TMR
    Dave_1 wrote:
    is what matters

No offence intended Dave, but you're speaking with the wrong guy about women's racing. Female cycling doesn't interest me at all, I wouldn't be sad if it didn't exist. I understand the point you're trying to make though.
  • TMR
    neeb wrote:
    What f*cking age are you?? I guess by the number of posts something over 13, which is the age at which most people progress from this sort of stuff..

Grow up, FFS.

I suggest you take your own advice. Accept that your World view doesn't match mod: removed and I won't agree with you. mod: removed
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    is what matters

No offence intended Dave, but you're speaking with the wrong guy about women's racing. Female cycling doesn't interest me at all, I wouldn't be sad if it didn't exist. I understand the point you're trying to make though.
    I am no fan of feminist women or blokeish type
    women....I live in south east asia where women have a role I
    understand...and I like lookers as much as the next man but do
    strugglre to justify women's race ignored on tv and dolls
    do men's podium
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    neeb wrote:
    What f*cking age are you?? I guess by the number of posts something over 13, which is the age at which most people progress from this sort of stuff..

Grow up, FFS.

I suggest you take your own advice. Accept that your World view doesn't match reality and zip that irritating hole in your face. I don't agree with you and I won't agree with you. Now run along pumpkin.

Can this argument not be had over PM? :roll:
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I am no fan of feminist women or blokeish type
    women....I live in south east asia where women have a role I
    understand...and I like lookers as much as the next man but do
    strugglre to justify women's race ignored on tv and dolls
    do men's podium

Its a fair point & I would love to see more female racing on TV, or just more female races as a start.

Think someone else made the point that females tend not to spend as much on cycling as males hence the bias in advertising that companies are willing to put into the female side. This has and is changing but slowly as it is a chicken Vrs egg agreement that there are not enough lower & upper level riders or teams so sponsors do not want to spend without getting the equivalent coverage and income. The flip side being that without it you'll never get female racing to the level of male racing.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • TMR
    seanorawe wrote:

Don't be silly! Having a good argument is the exact point of the Internet :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    All right guys. Everyone calm down. This thread isn't going to change anything in the world so no need to get het up.

I will remove a couple of reported posts, but keep it civil and no namd calling please.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    seanorawe wrote:

Don't be silly! Having a good argument is the exact point of the Internet :wink:

Think it was the slinging insults at strangers he was on about.
  • TMR
    mfin wrote:

Think it was the slinging insults at strangers he was on about.

I didn't start the argument, but I did respond. Don't poke a dog then cry when you get bitten...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Any dog that does any biting won't hang around for long.