Tour of Oman 2013 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    From teamsky website: http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 16,00.html

A number of big names in the field including Team Sky’s Chris Froome and Sir Bradley Wiggins were content to sit in the bunch on a day which had all the hallmarks of a sprint finish.

With no designated sprinter in the team a safe passage was the first objective ahead of five more stages in the Arab state.

The team all finished comfortably despite a late scare as Wiggins was forced to check up behind a crash with two kilometres remaining. Christian Knees led the team home.

After the stage we caught up with Sports Director Nicolas Portal who talked us through the late drama and also summed up a quiet opening day.

He confirmed: “There was a crash with 2km to go. Bradley was not caught up in it but he was behind it and there was a little split in the peloton as the riders slowed down. So with the 3km rule he should be fine.
  • Thanks guys. Hadn't seen the hold up reported anywhere.
  • Froome confirmed as protected rider.

Nice photo of Contador and Evans chatting at the start.

As usual, lots more supporters than in Qatar.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Official website still showing Wiggins on his own in last place?
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I don't understand an event that has most of the top 20 most highly paid athletes in the sport, in direct competition for the first of several times this season, on a parcours from Heaven to racing-starved fans, dressed up in ridiculous corporate logos who pay for the whole shooting match; but is not on the telly

How is this possible? Audience too small? Cost too much to send a crew?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • TomBoonenOman_2899367.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Hmm, do not like.

11311_10151240813197750_672358636_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Hmm, do not like.

Did he leave his cape at home?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Hmm, do not like.

you can tell him - he's a bit right left right goodnight

I think it looks alright - but maybe not for four hours - he still got a third though
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Macaloon wrote:
    I don't understand an event that has most of the top 20 most highly paid athletes in the sport, in direct competition for the first of several times this season, on a parcours from Heaven to racing-starved fans, dressed up in ridiculous corporate logos who pay for the whole shooting match; but is not on the telly

How is this possible? Audience too small? Cost too much to send a crew?

I've been confused.com about this. Bike racing is a dangerous sport and putting your big riders in small races is a gamble. The roads are good in Oman (not much road furniture) but crashes are a common, especially big bunches at high speed on flat roads.

I assume there must be some financial incentive. Still risky though.

Jerry :)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Macaloon
    30 min highlight show for on Eurosport 2 (& player) now.

1st 10 mins, let's meet the riders. What a line-up. :shock: Alberto with the usual insightful interview. Bradley horizontally chilled.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    So what happened to Wiggins after being held up by the crash. It seems he is 20 secs or so off the back in last place.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Macaloon
    Last 5K. All together :D
    "Boonen: 8 hours from losing arm" - surgeons
  • hmmm....very odd re Wiggins yday. GCN video race report said that he was floating around back of peloton with Phil Gil during the race, and then held up behind crash 2kms from end. Never mind the oddity of him not getting same time as winner as it was within 3kms, one report said that 3 other riders crossed the finishing line behind him. I'm also curious why no other Sky guys with him - even though Froome is leader, still seems odd.

Sky playing games?
  • Macaloon
    Wiggins amongst a few at back who slowed to about half speed to avoid small crash. Looked like Wiggins just didn't bother to chase back on. Odd. But one way to clearly separate Froome from Wiggins?
  • Why is it odd that Wiggins isn't arsed about chasing back on in the Tour of Oman?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Is Wiggins just concentrating at getting a suntan? There's a lumpy stage soon (stage 4) so maybe he'll stretch his legs then. Meanwhile, he's hanging of the back because he's got nothing to gain; main aim would be trying to avoid road rash.

Still, early days in the season. As Mr Kelly would say "There's a long ways to go".

Jerry :D

PS- Never seen http://www.procyclingstats.com before. Seems a good website with route and profiles which is easy to navigate. Is it a new site??
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Macaloon
    Why is it odd that Wiggins isn't arsed about chasing back on in the Tour of Oman?

I wasn't thinking of the result. The casual manner he let the small group drift away seemed a little out of place in an intense preparation regime. Also I'm not looking for imaginary Christopher Bradley friction. Maybe Bradley wants some space on GC to launch a searing attack to stick it to the sceptics?
  • Not sure if anyone already posted this - here is a live twitter feed of ToO: https://twitter.com/tourofoman_live
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Better to follow the hashtag #TOO13 as it has everyone's tweets. the OPQS twitter feed was being highly rated during the race yesterday
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Win for Sagan apparently.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,174
    1 Sagan 2. Gallopin 3. Elmiger 4. Nibali 5. Stybar 6. Froome 7. Bandiera 8. Marcato 9. Impey en 10. Bouhanni.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dupe post
  • BC50KEpCMAAwTND.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • As far as I can make out, those 10 riders had a 19 sec lead over the rest of the field.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    BC50KEpCMAAwTND.jpg:large

What a splendid twit he is.

Had assumed from the brief report I read that he'd just nudged them in a small group sprint - looks like some gap...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Well done, Sagan.

That's quite a nice little 10 man group that got away.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2013
    Sky reporting that he attacked in final 5k and no one could/did respond
  • Macaloon
    Highlights should be worth a watch. At 9:00 am tomorrow. Liked Sagan's full-length national colours stripe on back of jersey, not that he's in danger of being lost in the group.

Bonus Boonen note: he seemed unfettered in yesterday's elbows-out sprint.