Tour of Oman 2013 **SPOILERS**

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited February 2013 in Pro race
This starts tomorrow and runs for 6 days. Rated 2.HC.

Get yourself in the mood with the promo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GlNVHtaRb8

Rather than just endless desert like Qatar, this has some great scenery and some good mountains. It will still be a sprinters fest for the most part I suspect but Green Mountain will tear the field to pieces - about 6km at 10%. Nibali won on it last year and Gesink won in 2011 with a memorable performance as he rode out of his skin in memory of his dad. The next day he went on to capture the win in the ITT.

No ITT this year which is a bit of a shame as I liked the profile of it in 2011. Fabu hit a whopping 108km/h top speed:
PROFIL.gif
k57dc.jpg

But at least it wont give the SKY diesel's a chance to crush everyone so it will be down to Green Mountain to decide the GC:
PROFILKMS.gif

The startlist is very strong this year:
http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html ... d=MjM3OTA=
And it will be the first time Contador goes against Wiggins although I'm not sure if we can count on Wiggins racing for real. Sky have a very strong team going so hopefully they don't just ride a train to the top (Porte, Froome, Cataldo, Dombro, Kiri, Kennaugh, Knees, Wiggins is their team).

Stages:
profile-01.jpg
profile-02.jpg
profile-03.jpg
profile-04.jpg
profile-05.jpg
profile-01.jpg

Official site:
http://www.tourofoman.om/
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Photos from previous years:
    tumblr_lzmdncXadI1qi9xoeo1_1280.png
    Boonen getting aero in the ITT:
    tumblr_lgyabzh2pW1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Eisel getting aero:
    tumblr_lzlfjyLdk81qgo6b0o1_500.jpg
    Fuglsang getting aero:
    tour-of-oman-stage-5-jakob-fuglsang-graham-watson.jpg?w=630
    Cav suffering heat exhaustion:
    tumblr_lzjnordhQo1qgo6b0o1_500.jpg
    Cancellara looking resplendant
    tumblr_lgyaetwG8S1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Gesink winning in style:
    489974-cycling-oman-tour.jpg
    Two hi-res of Gesink that day:
    http://cyclingweekly.media.ipcdigital.c ... K-SOLO.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VsFaHq7LErM/T ... R2IS1H.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Nice legs, great pics, :lol: at Fab's heart rate, & thanks for that dossier. 8)

Given that Sky seemingly race events rather than train them these days this should be Contador vs Froome round 1.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    Sky decided that if they let JTL loose on Green Mountain to seal the overall, that would draw to much attention to him for more important targets later in the season: that's why he's doing the slightly less high profile Volta. Plus, the latter race has an ITT in which he needs to practice a bit.

Requests for any more wishful thinking/made up Sky stuff nonsense gladly considered.
  • dab_32
    dab_32 Posts: 94
    Is there any more TV coverage of this than the Eurosport half hour highlights show?

I'm looking forward to seeing Sky vs Tinkoff and also Sagan have a good run out.
  • dab_32 wrote:
    Is there any more TV coverage of this than the Eurosport half hour highlights show?

I'm looking forward to seeing Sky vs Tinkoff and also Sagan have a good run out.

There is no coverage. You can follow the tweets here and there will be video recaps at the end of the stage:
    https://twitter.com/tourofoman_live
    Contador is the Greatest
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Sky decided that if they let JTL loose on Green Mountain to seal the overall, that would draw to much attention to him for more important targets later in the season: that's why he's doing the slightly less high profile Volta. Plus, the latter race has an ITT in which he needs to practice a bit.

Requests for any more wishful thinking/made up Sky stuff nonsense gladly considered.

It's all part of THE PLAN
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2013
    OCDuPalais wrote:

This thread is about racing. If anyone wants to derail it I strongly suggest you take it onto the numerous other threads. I will be asking mods to step in if it gets off track.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • you seriously need to chill. I mean, really
  • you seriously need to chill. I mean, really

You just worry about yourself. I have been posting a long time and seen all sorts of posters. And posters come and go. I remain tranquillo with ease.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    OCDuPalais wrote:

This thread is about racing. If anyone wants to derail it I strongly suggest you take it onto the numerous other threads. I will be asking mods to step in if it gets off track.

From time to time you might need to step off your high horse for a moment and catch your breath, FF.

Setting yourself as the arbiter style and fashion is one thing (particularly when it often gets in the way of the racing comments): claiming jurisdiction over content is another.

I spout a lot of old pretentious old tosh, but patronising playground threats of snitching to teacher?.. trés puerile.
    If you want patronising, I suggest you look up "Humilty" - you'll find it after "Humbug" and before "Humour".

Besides, the racing in Oman hasn't actually started yet, so us silly boys and girls up the back can carry on with our farty noises, willy jokes and that noise you get from twanging your ruler on the desk...
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    ff stop being a pillock.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Bring on the racing...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    OcDuPalaise..

+1
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • I've made a wicked paper aeroplane, and the Tour of Oman still hasn't started
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    For once I agree with FF.

Keep the bullshite to the bullshite threads.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    When is this race on (UK Time)?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    When is this race on (UK Time)?

Apparently the answer is "Now"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Follow @TourofOman_live for official updates.

Traksel (CSS) and Uchima (JPN) in two man break up the road at the moment, got a couple of minutes.
  • Lead up to 9.30 now. First KOM points go to Traksel.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I had a chat with organiser on twitter last night and its meant to be Live on Oman TV or Oman TV Sport - I have both on my receiver so will try my best to cap it and lash it on CT.NL :)
    cartoon.jpg
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    can't find a feed anywhere :(
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2013
    LutherB wrote:
    can't find a feed anywhere :(

They're aint one. Sad times :(

Actually think its disgraceful that this (no livestreams) has been allowed due to spat
  • Macaloon
    I mean how much does it cost to put bar of novelty confectionery (flakegate) in Matt Rendell's mitts, mount him on a moto and stream the audio? Some sports are just better on radio: even pastimes like Ryder Cup golf & cricket. Worth a go, surely?
  • Check out Wiggins veins. Could well be just because it is so hot over there though.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... ons/251772
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Check out Wiggins veins. Could well be just because it is so hot over there though.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... ons/251772

Someone hacked his SRM/GPS and is streaming FG's Twitter feed direct to his bars. Think I'd be gripping tight under similar conditions.
  • Doobz wrote:
    I had a chat with organiser on twitter last night and its meant to be Live on Oman TV or Oman TV Sport - I have both on my receiver so will try my best to cap it and lash it on CT.NL :)

Good man :)
  • Lead two have a 5.20 advantage with 54 Km to go.
  • Uchima leads on his own now, 1.20 advantage with 25Km to go.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    this should stay away - going to be close, but its a quick run in from here from memory
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ILM Zero7 wrote:
    this should stay away - going to be close, but its a quick run in from here from memory
    No chance, will be a bunch sprint.