Tour of Oman 2013 **SPOILERS**

18910111214»

Comments

• chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmmm - not that bad today is it...

Slayer-GodHatesUsAll.jpg

Can imagine how it went down "then" though...

Ah, good old Slayer :) Seeing them at Hammy O on the Reign In Pain tour (showing my age) still remains the best gig I've ever been to in my life.

Back on-topic - is it just me, but I don't remember previous years' races being quite as good - this was outstanding for what I've always felt was a bit of an early season warm training ride. Or do I just have a bad memory?
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It always gets oversold as we re so traumatised from the off season that we'll watch anything and claim it's the best race ever...

Remember that 99% of the posts have been Frenchie masturbating about Contador too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Aye, DD, there's an element of that, but even so, it seems better than I remember it. But yeah, in a couple of weeks time I'll probably struggle to remember it was on.

Of couse, it's all only just a warm up for the Classics when we get to wave bye-bye to the dilettantes like Contador and other GT boys and get in the _real_ Heavyweights. True Champions, if you will ;)

God, I'm so excited about getting to RVV this year!
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    Apologies for going over last week's news, but having just re-watched the motorbike footage of the lead group in the last 1km of the St 4 Green Mountain finish (and apologies if others have mentioned this), Fenton will really have Bertie worried. As ever in these situations, the time gaps have as much to do with the strength of the victors as with the losers (both Vince and Bertie blew their lids off - I can't remember the latter looking so ragged), but the interesting thing for me is that Froome sand-bagged Contador shortly after J-Rod got a gap by hitting the brakes and swerving, forcing Bertie and Nibali to take up the chase. That acceleration from Froome in the last 600m was amazing - he basically out-Contadored Contador. 4 seconds earlier with that move and he'd have caught the dying J-Rod. As it was, it was the race winning move. If he can prove consistency in the crux moments like that, he could feasibly have the edge on Contador in every department by the Tour: team, climbing, TT-ing, confidence...
    But then maybe "controlled Fenton" is an oxymoron...
  • 'tis very interesting...

That's got to have have shaken up Contador.

Also whereas Contador might very well have hit his celiing on the TT front, Fenton can defo improve his if he and Sky can sort out his position once and for all. Oh Bobby J... :(
  • ocdupalais
    'tis very interesting...

Also whereas Contador might very well have hit his celiing on the TT front, Fenton can defo improve his if he and Sky can sort out his position once and for all. Oh Bobby J... :(

It's not just his TT position - his saddle looks way too low generally. He's clearly developed an effective (very) style with a virtually flat foot all the way around the pedal stroke; but when the pedal's at the bottom, and he's sat in the saddle, his heel is below the ball of his foot and his leg is a long way off full extension...

Maybe Sky have worked out that each incremental 5mm rise every month between now and the Tour gives him an extra 15 watts each time...?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    I'm looking forward to a real battle in the summer, but let's not get too carried away. It's still February -
    this might just be telling us that Contador spent more time with his feet up over christmas.
  • ocdupalais
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I'm looking forward to a real battle in the summer, but let's not get too carried away. It's still February -
    this might just be telling us that Contador spent more time with his feet up over christmas.

Who's getting carried away?

If you accused me of indulging in "idle speculation borne out of a few key pointers ages away from the season's main event" then I'd agree.

It's much easier to talk about the future and the past because I find the present keeps moving too quick for my shite typing skills...
  • ddraver
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    'tis very interesting...

He's clearly developed an effective (very) style with a virtually flat foot all the way around the pedal stroke; but when the pedal's at the bottom, and he's sat in the saddle, his heel is below the ball of his foot and his leg is a long way off full extension...

That's a very MTB technique...maybe that's why he developed it. He also spins a very fast cadance when climbing which is also a bit MTB thing..
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    'tis very interesting...

He's clearly developed an effective (very) style with a virtually flat foot all the way around the pedal stroke; but when the pedal's at the bottom, and he's sat in the saddle, his heel is below the ball of his foot and his leg is a long way off full extension...

That's a very MTB technique...maybe that's why he developed it. He also spins a very fast cadance when climbing which is also a bit MTB thing..

Also....'elbows in, Fenton!'
  • ddraver
    Think thats it then - he did a proper sport before loosing his balls and becoming a ghey* roadie!

NB that's not offensive becasue I put an h in it! :P
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ddraver wrote:
    Think thats it then - he did a proper sport before loosing his balls and becoming a ghey* roadie!

Whanker.
  • ddraver wrote:

Khnob
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ddraver wrote:

D1ckhead
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    Macaloon wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

D1ckhead

:lol::lol: Well played sir!
    - @ddraver
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Mad_Malx wrote:

That's how he wins the Giro, he spends a week or two on the Sun Lounger. Special training! :wink:
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil