The Secret Pro

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Regardless of whoever it is, and it's not important, it provides a vehicle for provocative points or politically sensitive issues to be raised to the wider audience. 51 weeks of blandness to allow the one good annual story to get through to the target audience with credibility.

The UCI Overlord strategy. It doesn't matter if we put a guy with a known ethics bypass in charge of our freedom fund. A serial liar would never stoop to stealing.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Macaloon wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Regardless of whoever it is, and it's not important, it provides a vehicle for provocative points or politically sensitive issues to be raised to the wider audience. 51 weeks of blandness to allow the one good annual story to get through to the target audience with credibility.

The UCI Overlord strategy. It doesn't matter if we put a guy with a known ethics bypass in charge of our freedom fund. A serial liar would never stoop to stealing.

You see, I think it is important. Because, if that is the case, it's purporting to be something it isn't. If it's just Shane Stokes hiding behind a veneer of respectability to slander people then the only reason for it is that nobody gives a toss what Shane Stokes thinks about anything, because he's a very poor journalist.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,437
    Must confess, I find criticising people for doping based on performances very unedifying, especially from other riders.

What concerns me is why riders feel the need to say this stuff in the press, (a handful anyway) rather than to the authorities.

In my mind surely if you have concerns as a rider about a competitor, you should be able to have an anonymous conversation with the UCI saying 'this is what I've heard', and the UCI can evaluate what you said (i.e. to make sure you're not just f*cking your rival over). To me that seems to be a lot more constructive than all this innuendo about performances.

Lines like this:
    There were days when you’d just despair. I know myself, my teammates and many of the guys in the peloton aren’t crap riders — we’d trained, eaten and prepared for the race 100%; we’d had the best form it’s humanly possible to achieve. And then we came up against guys who simply took the piss.

and this
    When guys who, last season — or even earlier this season — were in your group or at your level take off up the road or put out that extra 30-40 watts? They may as well be laughing in your face.

don't help all that much.

I mean fine, if you really do have some dirt then come out and say it properly but all this implicit insinuation only creates an air of murkiness which I don't think actually contributes to the cause.
  • Macaloon
    You see, I think it is important. Because, if that is the case, it's purporting to be something it isn't. If it's just Shane Stokes hiding behind a veneer of respectability to slander people then the only reason for it is that nobody gives a toss what Shane Stokes thinks about anything, because he's a very poor journalist.

In a way I feel sorry for the lad. What can he say? 'I'm just a poor mutant catcher. I'm not now, and never have been, The Secret Pro'. 'I've never edited positive'?

All we know is that no pro would go near this guy and expect their anonymity to be respected.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Credibility is built up over a period of time hence when the big story comes it either stands or falls on its own merit. We all love conspiracies however sometimes they ain't there.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Macaloon
    Must confess, I find criticising people for doping based on performances very unedifying, especially from other riders.

It's not another rider, boss. It's a digest of clinic talking points. Stokes has trashed a once excellent site.
  • rick_chasey
    Who is Stokes? Is he a rider? Never heard of him.
  • Macaloon
    Who is Stokes? Is he a rider? Never heard of him.

Earned his stripes with the Cyclismas/Overlord/Digger possé http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/04/shane ... -the-past/. A sleazeball of the highest order.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,433
    One of the snides on Twitter. The Ex-BRPR crew refer to him as Snape...which is rather harsh on Severus really...

I don't think he's writing it though. i could understand if it's 2 or 3 contributors added together to make one "secret Pro " though
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Oh that thing.

Clearly I don't spend enough time on the internet since I know so little about all that stuff.

From the little I do know, it's the embodiment of all that is wrong with the modern anglo cycling fan.
  • ddraver
    He used to be a reasonably respectable Irish Sports Journo but it's all gone rather wrong recently...
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    ddraver wrote:
    One of the snides on Twitter. The Ex-BRPR crew refer to him as Snape...which is rather harsh on Severus really...

I don't think he's writing it though
    . i could understand if it's 2 or 3 contributors added together to make one "secret Pro " though
    F*** the hypocrisy retweeted
    Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 3h3 hours ago
    "There were days when you’d just despair." - @IamtheSecretPro on how little has changed.

Kimmage blessing and Digger sniffing Stokes' pish.
  • ddraver
    yeah, I really don't know what you re on about there...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187
    If the Giro has such an inhumanly hard race where his team couldn't even consider GC, why was the top ten filled with third or fourth choice GC riders. Amador came fourth FFS.
    If it was hard it due to the parcours and a lack of the 'chatting stages' that he wants.

I doubt Stokes writes it. But websites that need to generate content on a daily basis and attract clicks are more and more going to rely on unsubstantiated scandal. Hence why the motors story keeps hanging around - it's cheap click bait. It's hard to write a meaningful article in under an hour about something everyone has seen on TV. On a day to day basis, written word journalism on sport is increasingly irrelevant just at a time when the market is being flooded by homespun websites. It's a race to the bottom.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I don't disagree. I almost never read articles. The only thing I read is direct quotes and race reports, occasionally light-skim the opinion/information pieces and obviously look at the photos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    I doubt Stokes writes it.
    Fanboy. The latest TSP ascent scored > 6.6 SS/Kg (Stock Stokes/1000 words) on Dr Fabricarri's model. I've compared this work to many (3, completely unrelated) pieces and anything over 6 SS/Kg is not normal.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I don't disagree. I almost never read articles. The only thing I read is direct quotes and race reports, occasionally light-skim the opinion/information pieces and obviously look at the photos.

That explains a lot.
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah. Because if you are instead reading the opinion pieces with great diligence then repeating what you assimilate, its small wonder you talk frequent drivel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Sooo, this is awkward..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

But you seem to take Ferrari's word (at least when talking about Sky) as gospel.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,575
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Folks find his identity more intriguing than his opinion. How sad.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • RichN95.
    His opinions just aren't that interesting though.

Astana are a bit suspect, the Giro is a hard race, Porte's punishment was harsh, Wiggins is a very good cyclist. That's basically what we were writing on this forum for ourselves.
  • Macaloon

Perhaps Shane should Leave the jokes to Carlton in future. Imagine your child dreaming of a career in sports journalism. Fair breaks your heart when you see how compromised they'll become.
  • Macaloon

What about this clinic specimen from his previous effort
    And as for Fabio Aru, well, I’ll keep my mouth shut. I’ll learn from the mistake made by Greg Henderson, a man I have huge respect for. To people who say the omertà is still alive and that riders should just speak out if they know something: get a grip. In this day and age throwing around accusations without evidence is tough; you can’t say anything for fear of getting sued.

So you need to pretend to be a have a secret source that knows as much as the clinic to spread your smears. It reeks of Stokes.
  • RichN95.
    And as for Fabio Aru, well, I’ll keep my mouth shut. I’ll learn from the mistake made by Greg Henderson, a man I have huge respect for. To people who say the omertà is still alive and that riders should just speak out if they know something: get a grip. In this day and age throwing around accusations without evidence is tough; you can’t say anything for fear of getting sued.

So you need to pretend to be a have a secret source that knows as much as the clinic to spread your smears. It reeks of Stokes.
    Personally I think it reeks of Henderson.
  • RichN95.
    Secret Pro wrote:
    About Astana: "Six riders in the top 25, and with guys that I’ve not seen that high up on a GC list before."

Aru was 2nd. In his last Giro he was 3rd
    Kangert was 13th. In his last Giro he was 13th
    Rosa was 23rd. In his last Giro he was 22nd
    Cataldo was 25th. In his last Giro he was 26th

Four of them were almost exactly where they were last time. Their performances seem predictable to a bizarre level.
  • frenchfighter
    Wow, he really is thick.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm thick too as TSP comments mirror my own thoughts.

Maybe I am The Secret Pro.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Secret Pro wrote:
    About Astana: "Six riders in the top 25, and with guys that I’ve not seen that high up on a GC list before."

Aru was 2nd. In his last Giro he was 3rd
    Kangert was 13th. In his last Giro he was 13th
    Rosa was 23rd. In his last Giro he was 22nd
    Cataldo was 25th. In his last Giro he was 26th

Four of them were almost exactly where they were last time. Their performances seem predictable to a bizarre level.

There were 21 others in the top 25...at least one of which suddenly became good enough in the mountains to drop everyone including Contador, and he was a domestique.