The Secret Pro

1111213141517»

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    It's not new, but whereas before it was the teams of the podium chasers, you now get anyone near the Top 10 being brought to the front by their teams.

But I can't see how its more chaotic that the days that Abdu and Ludwig were kicking lumps out of each other.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Timoid. wrote:
    It's not new, but whereas before it was the teams of the podium chasers, you now get anyone near the Top 10 being brought to the front by their teams.

But I can't see how its more chaotic that the days that Abdu and Ludwig were kicking lumps out of each other.
    Also the sprinters don't do the old HTC supertrain tactic anymore. They have smaller more mobile units which stay hidden and move through in the last couple of kms.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Jez mon wrote:
    Some of the gruppetto stuff was reasonably interesting. The snide digs are well, just filler. The sprinters complaining about GC riders getting in the way of the sprinters? Is this actually a new phenomenon, I'm sure I remember USPS riding up at the front during sprint stages, or at least Lance and George, riding up and keeping out of trouble...

I'm sure I'm looking back through rose tinted specs, but I always remember GC riders back in the day keeping to the front with one, maybe two, of their lieutenants keeping them safe. Nowadays it's any GC rider with most if their crew, plus the sprinters and their trains.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    The_Boy wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Some of the gruppetto stuff was reasonably interesting. The snide digs are well, just filler. The sprinters complaining about GC riders getting in the way of the sprinters? Is this actually a new phenomenon, I'm sure I remember USPS riding up at the front during sprint stages, or at least Lance and George, riding up and keeping out of trouble...

I'm sure I'm looking back through rose tinted specs, but I always remember GC riders back in the day keeping to the front with one, maybe two, of their lieutenants keeping them safe. Nowadays it's any GC rider with most if their crew, plus the sprinters and their trains.
    It changed noticeably with Cadel Evans and BMC
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,621
    Rushed out utter carp from the 'female' secret pro to cash in on the Lizzie story.

Now, thats shameful :(
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Another month, another pile of <insert your opinion>

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/10/the-secr ... er-season/
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,448
    It would be good if these guys could put their heads together and come up with a definitive list of what the corticosteroid does!... Based on their use in well controlled environments of course. :?: :roll:
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,621
    The latest Secret Pro is, again, a hash up of everything else that's been reported lately made to look like its been written with some sort of insight. The cortisone effect stuff is just ripped off Millar's first book, isn't it?

Its like a joke that's gone on too far and is just annoying now*

*See also Ciro in the podcast & Matt Stephens' Belgian 'character'.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    It is dreadful. I don't know why I still read it. I can't help but think this edition was written by someone else though. The style and structure are different.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    ...to be fair. He's actually quite fair to Sky there so that one clearly isnt written by Shane Stokes
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Would Shane Stokes call it a field sprint rather than a bunch sprint. I know they do in the US, what about Aussies, Irish etc?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    This was just about the most readable of the recent editions. It seems pretty much everyone doesn’t like Bouhanni’s style.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    philbar72 wrote:
    This was just about the most readable of the recent editions. It seems pretty much everyone doesn’t like Bouhanni’s style.

As Carlton said. "Bouhanni's back in France where he has his supporters. Mind you they do have the same surname."