The Secret Pro

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited October 2016 in Pro race
Cyclingtips have recently started one of these secret pro series and here is the latest installment. It is pretty interesting. I vaguely remember there being a topic on the first installment but can't find it. If someone does then please link it here so the threads can be merged.

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/02/l ... son-begin/

1309_CT_SecretPro_530x800_V03c-copy.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Not really that interesting or candid from someone writing under a pseudonym, apart from the Scarponi bit, but ok nonetheless. Perhaps there are tastier bits to come!
  • Not many 'juicy' bits but it is an inside look into the world of a pro which is very interesting for me.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yes, I remembered the fetching illustrator graphics - is this the previous thread?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • I wonder what groupset he is referring to here:
    Everyone in the pro peloton bashes one particular groupset though. It’s all in good fun, but it’s an unwritten rule that you have to take the piss out of the guys who are on that groupset.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • Yeah that's the one Cleat.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    ThanksBye wrote:
    I wonder what groupset he is referring to here:
    Everyone in the pro peloton bashes one particular groupset though. It’s all in good fun, but it’s an unwritten rule that you have to take the wee-wee out of the guys who are on that groupset.

This is what I meant up above. He could at least name the groupset.

I reckon I could make a good bash of writing something like this, without being very specific. eg I could take a good guess that neo-pros will be over-eager to impress and will burn out early in the season because of it. There's nothing to see here that you don't read about in Dan Martin's column in Pro Cycling. It's not that much of a insight. It does have potential though and look forward to reading it as te season progresses.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    ThanksBye wrote:

Hmmm, can't be Di2 and this suggests maybe not EPS either, but that's open to interpretation:
    The electronic groupsets is where it’s at nowdays. Di2 has been brilliant. – absolutely flawless. From what I understand the 11spd Dura Ace is even better. It’s now just like Campag where you hold the button in and it just goes up or down the cassette. The riders say great things about it.

Seems unlikely that it's 7900 or 9000 mechanical or SR11, so SRAM Red? Or something else?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Thanks for this FF - good read. Agree with you it's good to get an insight - in some respects glad there isnt something too juicy given the last 6 months it will be nice just to get back to business as usual and racing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    ThanksBye wrote:

Hmmm, can't be Di2 and this suggests maybe not EPS either, but that's open to interpretation:
    The electronic groupsets is where it’s at nowdays. Di2 has been brilliant. – absolutely flawless. From what I understand the 11spd Dura Ace is even better. It’s now just like Campag where you hold the button in and it just goes up or down the cassette. The riders say great things about it.

Seems unlikely that it's 7900 or 9000 mechanical or SR11, so SRAM Red? Or something else?

I had a sordid fling with SRAM Red one Summer before discovering that despite some fun but sweaty cavorts, we weren't really that suited; it was the double-click thing. Then we started shouting at one another...
    Went back to Campag with my head held low.
    We've since re-confirmed our vows. Besides, my tools all fit Campag.

We're expecting a new groupset in the Spring.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I had a sordid fling with SRAM Red one Summer before discovering that despite some fun but sweaty cavorts, we weren't really that suited; it was the double-click thing. Then we started shouting at one another...
    Went back to Campag with my head held low.
    We've since re-confirmed our vows. Besides, my tools all fit Campag.

We're expecting a new groupset in the Spring.

I've wanted to say for sometime that I think you are an incredibly intelligent and sharp chap. I love reading your posts - you're wasted on here IMHO.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    What with it being a tepid-bed of sarcasm round here, I gave it 10 minutes to see if you were pulling my leg...( you're not, are you? It's a rare treat to see words of appreciation)

If not, then thanks very much. The feelings mutual...

And you're right: I'm often wasted on here...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Isn't it our responsibility as an on-line community to speculate widely about who The Secret Pro is?

and so far I haven't seen any speculation (apart from about groupsets!)-> I'm going to say its most likely an Aussie (for obvious reasons)?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    I think it feels like it's written by an Aussie

I found myself drifting into an Aussie accent in my head whilst reading it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • there's a strong belief that he's an OGE guy (not that it narrows it down too much)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Also, from what he says, it'll be a team that's running 10-speed Di2 but who haven't gone up to the 11-speed stuff yet,
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Sheffield United's very own Dave Kitson will very soon publish a sequel to the 'The Secret Footballer' ...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Does this count for PTP points?

I'll have Koen de Kort based on how it reads in a Steve McClaren accent. And he has form: http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/12/ask-koen-de-kort/
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • guity
    guity Posts: 113
    I'm not sure its an Aussie. In the first one he says he had an extended off season because he was on his mtb due to the cod weather. If you were an aussie surely you would spend the off season at home? I would say American due to going to the 'gas station'. his mention of specialized shoes being unbranded makes me think he isnt riding for a team who's bike company who make shoes (thinking Scott or Trek) as it sounds like something others are doing rather than a 1st had account. Also, I dont think he is on Garmin due to the reference of a DS being a mouthy pr1ck but appreciating what he is doing, I assume that is JV? I would also rule out any sky riders due to the mention of the odd timing of getting his training bike. I'm heavily leaning towards a BMC rider (they are on dura-ace too so that assumption above would fit) but not sure who fits the bill...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Your points are all good guity...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • guity wrote:
    I'm not sure its an Aussie. In the first one he says he had an extended off season because he was on his mtb due to the cod weather. If you were an aussie surely you would spend the off season at home? I would say American due to going to the 'gas station'. his mention of specialized shoes being unbranded makes me think he isnt riding for a team who's bike company who make shoes (thinking Scott or Trek) as it sounds like something others are doing rather than a 1st had account. Also, I dont think he is on Garmin due to the reference of a DS being a mouthy pr1ck but appreciating what he is doing, I assume that is JV? I would also rule out any sky riders due to the mention of the odd timing of getting his training bike. I'm heavily leaning towards a BMC rider (they are on dura-ace too so that assumption above would fit) but not sure who fits the bill...

Depends where you start your offie. For example last year Matt Goss stayed around in Europe for a few weeks after end-season to try a different training approach, before going back to Oz in Dec.

Yeah, defo not Garmin with that JV reference. Not Sky either, cos of what he says in his first post. I'm wondering...Daryl Impey? Or could be Koen de Kort - but he seems to write more fluently than this guy.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    guity wrote:

hmm.. depends on how you interpret his shoe comments.. since he never actually says that he uses Specialized shoes.. just that lots of other guys use them?

He does mention that his previous team had a pushy sponsor though.. specialized? (we all know how much everyone laps it up when Cav talks about being back on the Venge)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    What with it being a tepid-bed of sarcasm round here, I gave it 10 minutes to see if you were pulling my leg...( you're not, are you? It's a rare treat to see words of appreciation)

If not, then thanks very much. The feelings mutual...

And you're right: I'm often wasted on here...

No. Genuine comments.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Is it Joey Barton?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,905
    Probably just some journo who invents their 'insights' :wink:
  • What you going to think if it turns out to be Simon Gerrans Frenchie?
  • I don't have opinions on the person writing it.

Just because I don't like Gerrans' racing doesn't mean I can't find something he writes interesting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pro.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,958
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Enjoyed that one. Nice to know it is not the riders choosing their helmets and that they think they are ridiculous. Nice also to know they think the US fans are odd and that Cali and TdU are shite races. I like the bits about the presents.

Some more clues there.

I can’t say the Tour Down Under was much more than a good training ride
    I long for that Australian sun right about now
    Thank goodness the race organisers are taking a bit of pity on us with shortening Milan-San Remo and Gent-Wevelgem
    We’re now on these absolutely ridiculous looking Giro helmets now
    but for me, the real season begins in June when I start coming into form and vying for our Tour squad

If it is a team riding then odd Giro helmets then that is just Garmin. Bauer is from nzl and rode TdU and MSR
    If the comment was just about them in general, then Goss and O'Grady are both Aussies and both rode TdU, MSR and GW
    Goss and O'Grady would both want to go to the Tour but I would have thought Goss would be a surer bet than O'Grady and O'Grady would be there in support more or less. Goss could also realistically target MSR and TdU.

There are more clues in the other installments.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I'm not sure myself but don't think they sound like an Aussie myself.

Can picture a few older pro's as possibles but hard to say for sure.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.