Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I wonder if the problem only affects 2014 bikes otherwise you'd think they'd be getting existing owners to fit the wider seat clamp. Anyway, no problems on my 2013 Ultimate CF SLX.
  • chewywahid
    chewywahid Posts: 28
    Mechanism wrote:
    I wonder if the problem only affects 2014 bikes otherwise you'd think they'd be getting existing owners to fit the wider seat clamp. Anyway, no problems on my 2013 Ultimate CF SLX.
    Got my replacement frame Friday and no seat clamp. I'm have my LBS to swap all the kit over this week. They also sent a headset with it too.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763

Anyone know their direct email?

info@canyon.com
  • chewywahid
    Canyon are now sending a wider seat clamp when I informed them that the replacement didn't come with one. :)
  • chewywahid
    Had the frame swapped over, but an interesting thing was that the bolt keeping the two pieces in the VCLS 2.0 post together was sheared. I'm inclined to revert back to the original post. Opinions?
  • yukiob
    yukiob Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    A follow up regarding the issue with vcls 2.0 post and cracks around the seat tube.

I replaced the standard seat clamp with a wider seat clamp and it seemed to have stopped the deformations. I've ridden 7-800 km with it since (I weigh 77 kg).

but

Unfortunately I've been struggling with the cable guide near the BB. It's now the second time it has broken in 3 months - the force from the front derailleur (sram red) makes the plastic crack.

Can anyone check and see if their cable runs in a semi transparent liner on the plastic cable guide? Maybe it's not supposed to?

UPDATE 07-23-2014:
    Found out that the broken cable guide was caused over time by friction from the cable liners that mistakenly was installed from the fabric onto the cable guide. They are only used for installing the cables and should have been removed.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    bloody hell, the list of complaints and broken bits seems to escalate ....
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    95kg and so far no problems with my frame .

The picture above looks like more inpact damage, 2 dents are visible either side .
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • yukiob
    yukiob Posts: 3
    rgasuk wrote:
    95kg and so far no problems with my frame .

The picture above looks like more inpact damage, 2 dents are visible either side .

May look like it to you but it is not. No dents, just cracked over while shifting - for the second time.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Issues aside I would be waiting for their new aero frame. I assume it's due to be released soon and if you're quick off the mark not a long waiting list - though there's always a risk of being an early adopter!
  • cswitch wrote:
    Issues aside I would be waiting for their new aero frame. I assume it's due to be released soon and if you're quick off the mark not a long waiting list - though there's always a risk of being an early adopter!

Assuming of course that the geometry suits. The current Aeroad is very different from the SLX.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    giant man wrote:

a8w2dqO.gif

SPTDW711-660x440.jpg

:D
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Crozza wrote:
    giant man wrote:

a8w2dqO.gif

SPTDW711-660x440.jpg

Bloody hell!

High demand, delayed orders, impatient customers. It all adds up to rushed production and a drop in quality. The. Canyon bubble could be about to burst...
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    whoa was that a steerer go?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    Reminds me of my friend who paid 400 quid for a pair of football boots. They split in the first game. Leave the expensive professional products for the professionals who get given new products every event.

Unless i was made of money i would have serious concerns on buying a high end carbon bike, especially if i was on it all the time. I am sure and hope not all carbon bikes are the same.

i was seriously considering getting a canyon, but now i am very put off! Someone tell me its only a Canyon problem!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    dean7879 wrote:
    Unless i was made of money i would have serious concerns on buying a high end carbon bike, especially if i was on it all the time.

Sorry but that's total nonsense.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Miles253 wrote:
    whoa was that a steerer go?

Steerer looks intact, looks like the stem slipped off the steerer.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    dean7879 wrote:
    Reminds me of my friend who paid 400 quid for a pair of football boots. They split in the first game. Leave the expensive professional products for the professionals who get given new products every event.

Unless i was made of money i would have serious concerns on buying a high end carbon bike, especially if i was on it all the time. I am sure and hope not all carbon bikes are the same.

i was seriously considering getting a canyon, but now i am very put off! Someone tell me its only a Canyon problem!

Notwithstanding the fact I've just bought an SLX, but this is complete tripe. If you are wary of carbon, don't ever fly in a plane!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Crozza wrote:
    giant man wrote:

a8w2dqO.gif

SPTDW711-660x440.jpg

So, any updates on what happened here ?

You can see Froome's bottle flying through air at the beginning although his cash is apparently unconnected.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    The team will likely try to cover this up no? Not good PR is it?!
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Looks like a Top cap/compression bolt and stem failure more than anything to do with canyons frame there.

Do Movistar use canyon brand stems?
  • lawrences wrote:
    Looks like a Top cap/compression bolt and stem failure more than anything to do with canyons frame there.

Do Movistar use canyon brand stems?

Canyon use Ritchey stems
  • jezzpalmer
    The SLX (retail) doesn't use a topcap, it uses a funky headset to remove the bearing play; so if the stem bolts are loose there's nothing to stop it coming off the steerer. That said I've seen some piccies of pro team bikes with a topcap/expansion retainer setup.
    Canyon generally use Ritchey, and I think the Canyon branded stuff is also Ritchey.

Either way, it looks like shoddy spanner monkey-ing, rather than a parts failure.
  • jezzpalmer
    adamfo wrote:

That's a std headsed with expander.

The Acros headset on the retail stuff is a bit weird, and adds quite a lot to the stem height.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    adamfo wrote:

The Acros headset on the retail stuff is a bit weird, and adds quite a lot to the stem height.

Not any old Standard headset. That's a canyon own brand standard headset. Doh.
  • Anyone know if you can fit cruds to the latest CF SLX?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Anyone know if you can fit cruds to the latest CF SLX?
    I wouldn't bother, you'll be on your fourth frame before winter comes around. :wink:
  • lawrences wrote:
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    adamfo wrote:

Not any old Standard headset. That's a canyon own brand standard headset. Doh.

Good to know that it wasn't the standard equipment fitted though.
  • Anyone know if you can fit cruds to the latest CF SLX?
    I wouldn't bother, you'll be on your fourth frame before winter comes around. :wink:

I've had 3 Canyons so know what to expect :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles