Sky and David Walsh

Comments

• Been thinking about this.

If Walsh does have unfettered access to the team it could very quickly from a 'doping' story to a team leadership story.

That could be interesting.

Walsh would have to fight Moore to publish the modern day version of Badger vs Lemond :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Matt Slater speaks - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21331484

Festinagirl already hissy fitting...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • In response to this
    SuzeCY‏@festinagirl

@emerydavid @mattslaterbbc @teamsky just wonder why Armstrong never discovered he could do it clean?

Can somebody please point out to her "because no other bugger was"?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • 'so what does that say about the great god of them all, Lemond, love?'

...would be another thing to fire back

Fact is that just as Lemond rode in a different era pre-EPO, Sky are riding in a peloton which isnt clean across the board, but is generally accepted to be a hell of a lot cleaner.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I'm a big fan of Herbie Sykes, strikes me as somebody i'd like to have a beer with and talk about how cycling used to be.

Only exception being the rather odd Rouleur article he wrote which was mostly about Marmite, very odd.

If you've read the Kimmage article in Rouleur; who's the bald guy on page 76? Is that Sykes? Looks like Bettini to me. Wish they'd label some of the pics a bit more.
  • ddraver
    In response to this
    SuzeCY‏@festinagirl

@emerydavid @mattslaterbbc @teamsky just wonder why Armstrong never discovered he could do it clean?

done...
    - @ddraver
  • Garry H wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Herbie Sykes, strikes me as somebody i'd like to have a beer with and talk about how cycling used to be.

Only exception being the rather odd Rouleur article he wrote which was mostly about Marmite, very odd.

If you've read the Kimmage article in Rouleur; who's the bald guy on page 76? Is that Sykes? Looks like Bettini to me. Wish they'd label some of the pics a bit more.

The photos were from the CCN shindig. If you look on the CCN website for photos of the attendees, you'll probably be able to recognise the guy. Baldie could have been Ashenden.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Been thinking about this.

If Walsh does have unfettered access to the team it could very quickly from a 'doping' story to a team leadership story.

That could be interesting.

I remember those innocent days of last Summer fondly. There was at least a veneer of sporting humanity about the affair before it decayed into Wiggophobia. It's been a nasty start to the year.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    RichN95 wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Stuff

Ratty,

While you're sharing digital G+Ts with Vaughters, could you burst his bubble and point out that he wasn't the first to have an embedded journalist. ANC Halfords and Jeff Connor did that back in 1987 - he even ended up driving the team car.

I will bring up your point when I'm next on his plaid yacht supping cocktails from cut down gatorade bottles.

Lemsip has worn off now... I'm back in my BR cage where I belong. I really think you'd have a field day Rich on twatter - it'd be like sparring 20 Biking Bernies (MPBUH) all at once.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    The photos were from the CCN shindig. If you look on the CCN website for photos of the attendees, you'll probably be able to recognise the guy. Baldie could have been Ashenden.

Could be, although the guy doesn't seem to be as bald as Ashenden, and has sideburns. Both wear similar ties though.

I agree with some of the other people who've read the article, Kimmage does come across as a tad crazy. The "interview" doesn't really go anywhere because of this and neither will he unless he calms the f*ck down a tad.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    In response to this
    SuzeCY‏@festinagirl

She's banging the 'they look like US Postal' drum again. Well what tactics would you use, love? The fact remains that it's the most effective way to get a rider from the bottom of a mountain to the top.

Drugs don't change tactics, they just make them faster.

(PS while I'm here, Herbie Sykes isn't the bald guy - he has plenty of hair.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Garry H wrote:

Could be, although the guy doesn't seem to be as bald as Ashenden, and has sideburns. Both wear similar ties though.

I agree with some of the other people who've read the article, Kimmage does come across as a tad crazy. The "interview" doesn't really go anywhere because of this and neither will he unless he calms the f*ck down a tad.

Well, this is Sykes and it's certainly not him
    http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/ma ... eview.html

Yeah, Kimmage is fruit loops and Sykes is hugely frustrated in the interview
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Hmm - I didn't think Kimmage was that bad. Sykes wanted him to say that things were a lot better and that the UCI had done a lot of work to clean things up and Kimmage was just unwilling to say that.

I really liked the Ned Boulting article. He's funny.
  • ddraver
    Is the other baldy the guy from the Velocast?
    - @ddraver
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I followed a few of you last night including you ddr - enjoyed the counter punching from you all. Made my twitter feed much more interesting :)
  • I'm giving up looking at twitter again.

The meff "hmmmmming" over Cav winning a bunch sprint was the last straw.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

2011 - Cav with Highroad. Cav wins=Twitter goes meh, boring etc
    2012 - Cav with Sky. Twitter=oh poor Cav, look at how he's being treated by Sky, he deserves better, the insult of it all
    2013 - Cav with OPQS. See 2011.

#standard

2011 - Cav with Highroad. Cav wins=Twitter goes meh, boring etc
    2012 - Cav with Sky. Twitter=oh poor Cav, look at how he's being treated by Sky, he deserves better, the insult of it all
    2013 - Cav with OPQS. See 2011.

#standard

This guy was inferring foul play.

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177

But how do YOU know that? Have YOU ever sat down and had a drink with HIM??
  • Macaloon
    I'm giving up looking at twitter again.

The meff "hmmmmming" over Cav winning a bunch sprint was the last straw.[

jazzporridge: @cyclingdopes @festinagirl @ddraver @DavidWalshST See Qatar finish today? Cav beat entire death-star squad on his own. Hmm

^This one? If so, I'm pretty sure he was pointing out the lack of credible facts underlying her loudly proclaimed suspicions. Lesson learned. The response was "See. Told you QS were at it. Ibarguren magic etc"

If not, the guy was obviously deluded. Carry on.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    I'm giving up looking at twitter again.

The meff "hmmmmming" over Cav winning a bunch sprint was the last straw.[

jazzporridge: @cyclingdopes @festinagirl @ddraver @DavidWalshST See Qatar finish today? Cav beat entire death-star squad on his own. Hmm

^This one? If so, I'm pretty sure he was pointing out the lack of credible facts underlying her loudly proclaimed suspicions. Lesson learned. The response was "See. Told you QS were at it. Ibarguren magic etc"

If not, the guy was obviously deluded. Carry on.

Nice work Sir :)
  • I read that as pandering to whats her face and sayin that the best sprinter in the world winning without a train against a different team trying to set up their guy was suspect.

I didn't read any responses, I just closed the window said "For fffffs sake" and gave up on twitter.

But yeah, good work.

@gietvangent
  • there's a fair bit of Twaliban tweasing going on from a few of us...
  • Macaloon
    I read that as pandering to whats her face and sayin that the best sprinter in the world winning without a train against a different team trying to set up their guy was suspect.

I didn't read any responses, I just closed the window said "For fffffs sake" and gave up on twitter.

But yeah, good work.

It was chaos out there. More interleaved threads than bust lead-outs. And seemed a good time to discuss, you know, the actual sport. Won't do that again. On the other hand, it's always worth calling out odious smears from the self-righteous.

Cav is super-impressive reading the last Km at 60kph. Think he was being kind to EBH in interview: said he jumped to follow Luke Rowe, rather than draw attention to the scrum fighting shelter from the EBH mullet.
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    I too have started to follow a few people from here and thos mentioned in this thread. Made my twitter a tad more active and nice to see that this thread is mentioned on twitter! Oh the shame of BR :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah twitter. A haven for the time rich.

Was once rich enough to regularly participate. Now I've gone and spent all my time doing a bloody job.
  • ddraver
    I ve had to restrict myself to bog breaks or when I'm waiting for a model to run today...
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Ah twitter. A haven for the time rich.

Was once rich enough to regularly participate. Now I've gone and spent all my time doing a bloody job.

But then you'll be pocket rich: then you can employ someone to Tweet on your behalf.

I'll have a go, if you like. Unfortunately, I may be utterly monotonous and only occasionally impart a miniscule scrap of credible information in an otherwise huge mountain of sh!te, so I'm not sure I'll fit in with Twitter heavy hitters...
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I'm bored of it already. The twaliban are utterly, utterly tedious. Totally joyless, and incredibly dim. Their vacuous innuendos are built on a foundation of nonsense. I stupidly thought the twaliban might have something interesting to say but they come across as an amorphous bunch of self-inflated and confused twerps.

Look at this crap:
    Ppl seem to b forgetting that, pre '04, there was no Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreu or Steven Swart on LA case. Yet ppl thought he doped.
    @fmk_Rol

and this...
    It seems there will be a repeat of the Church of Lanceology with the new crop of Team Sky Truthers. That didn't take long....
    @GingerAssassin_

If this is the new journalism then I weep for the future.

Someone post some nice pictures of some cycling shoes to cheer me up. :-(

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Someone post some nice pictures of some cycling shoes to cheer me up. :-(
    mini-clown-bike.jpg