Sky and David Walsh

Comments

• ddraver wrote:
    What's your twitter handle road painter?
    Imaginatively, @RoadPainter
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I knew that would be futile. But I persisted; more in the hope of inciting further corkers from Ratbeyfus (charming DB portrait) & the NonDoc (JP Sartre sketch). Some evidence of encouraging collateral stirrings in the wings. Time for the decompression chamber.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • *Ahem*
  • right, Pross and ddraver are in BIG trouble
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Great work this evening - fun wasn't it? Round 2 on twitter or you want to play on home turf next time?

Delighted my old login still works :wink:
  • micron
    By the way ashenden is definitely the bald one & I'm the blonde one :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Candyman
    Candyman
    Candm...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hello? is anyone there to scare the little children?
  • micron
    And I was so hoping you'd be having another party like last night :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    right, Pross and ddraver are in BIG trouble

Oi, what did I do..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Hello Micron - nice of you to pop up on here - are you going to stick around and debate on here - might be easier than on twitter, cos there isn't the restriction on characters?
  • micron
    Why I reactivated my old login :wink: also think it may prove more civilised - have never found you change people's attitudes by being belligerent - plus ddraver can now go back through all my old posts and try and prove I said black was white (kidding) :wink:

Looking forward to a healthy debate on this and other topics - always found this to be one of the saner forums, particularly posters like frenchfighter and iainf

Thanks for the warm welcome :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    micron wrote:
    Looking forward to a healthy debate on this and other topics - always found this to be one of the saner forums, particularly posters like frenchfighter and iainf

Hoooooooookay......
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    As long as you know who's boss
  • micron

Yes boss - I've been a relatively active user of this forum in the past. And I assume that warning cuts all ways?
  • tailwindhome

Its Iain, isn't it?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • micron
    ddraver wrote:
    micron wrote:

Hoooooooookay......

You disagree with him/her too I take it?
  • micron
    I'm here to have my consciousness raised beyond the confusion and cut and thrust of 140 characters - poor old ddraver was getting quite lost in the conversational threads last night, forums have a much more cilised level of debate
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Its Iain, isn't it?

yes
  • micron wrote:
    I'm here to have my consciousness raised beyond the confusion and cut and thrust of 140 characters - poor old ddraver was getting quite lost in the conversational threads last night, forums have a much more cilised level of debate

I've got a guy for that...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • micron
    On topic: kimmage is a battering ram, Walsh more a Trojan horse - I have enormous respect for both & both approaches have been relevant & borne fruit in the quest to expose Armstrong. Kimmages problem is that he was offered access all areas and then found restrictions placed on that access - no contact with wiggins for 1st week and none at all with Barry (interesting given the timing - TdF 2010). I can see the personality clash with wiggins but Barry?
  • Macaloon
    Here's Rick, bossing the BR Bus

wjbbsy.jpg
  • micron wrote:
    On topic: kimmage is a battering ram, Walsh more a Trojan horse - I have enormous respect for both & both approaches have been relevant & borne fruit in the quest to expose Armstrong. Kimmages problem is that he was offered access all areas and then found restrictions placed on that access - no contact with wiggins for 1st week and none at all with Barry (interesting given the timing - TdF 2010). I can see the personality clash with wiggins but Barry?

Can you not also see, however, that a rider wanting to contest his major goal of the season would perhaps not want impromptu interviews at any hour of a journalists choosing, regardless of what his employer had offered?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Can you not also see, however, that a rider wanting to contest his major goal of the season would perhaps not want impromptu interviews at any hour of a journalists choosing, regardless of what his employer had offered?

This^
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Macaloon
    micron wrote:

Doubt many people object to the questions, but it's outrageous (professional malpractice, best case) to go from no Barry access to:

"PaulKimmage Feb 04, 1:59pm via web
    Bottom line: When they start applying the same standards to Team Sky as they did to Lance Armstrong, I'll start taking them seriously."

It was the transition from sad innuendo to outright smearing like this that got me off the sofa.
  • tailwindhome
    Obviously I'm not a journalist but it seems to me that if Sky were doping and there is dirt to uncover then the people to be speaking to are those who have left the team for whatever reason. These people are the potential weak links in the Sky machine.

Kimmage has unfortunately become the journalistic equivalent of a monkey throwing faeces.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    micron wrote:
    Barry had just been called a doper by Landis and it was likely, therefore, that rather than have stories about what Sky were doing now, there would have been three weeks of what one of their riders may have done six years ago. And why would anyone invite that?
    Kimmage's problem is and always will be that if he doesn't get his way 100% he has a tantrum and then sulks (two and a half years this sulk has gone on for). He is utterly intolerant to anything other than his own opinions.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • micron
    Sad that kimmage's brilliant landis interview is so quickly forgotten...

Again, I agree re wiggins - beside the personality clash there is of course the question of prep & crucial first week at the tdf - but, I repeat, why close down Barry? Presumably so that awkward questions re Postal didn't overshadow the team?

Sorry to say, but I think kimmage's point re scrutiny is a valid - if saddening - one. Yes it's unfair to tar all with Armstrong brush but lack of rigour & scrutiny in the Armstrong mess enabled it to perpetuate far longer than it needed to. Questions remained unasked because of fears over lack of access - surely kimmage is only asking that that not happen again? Having lived through festina and assuming naively the sport might clean up its act, it took all f a year for the same old same old to happen again.
  • micron wrote:
    Sad that kimmage's brilliant landis interview is so quickly forgotten...
    Again, I agree re wiggins - beside the personality clash there is of course the question of prep & crucial first week at the tdf - but, I repeat, why close down Barry? Presumably so that awkward questions re Postal didn't overshadow the team?

Sorry to say, but I think kimmage's point re scrutiny is a valid - if saddening - one. Yes it's unfair to tar all with Armstrong brush but lack of rigour & scrutiny in the Armstrong mess enabled it to perpetuate far longer than it needed to. Questions remained unasked because of fears over lack of access - surely kimmage is only asking that that not happen again? Having lived through festina and assuming naively the sport might clean up its act, it took all f a year for the same old same old to happen again.

That is exactly the same reasoning as those who said we shouldn't question Armstrong because of what he did for cancer awareness. This isn't a black and white issue, there are no goodies and baddies.

Years ago, I wrote for a really good cycling website when it started up (it's still around today) and I did an article on Frigo's camper van. I got a really hateful e-mail from an Italian fan of his who's closing line completely altered my perception of the issue. He said that the world isn't a movie there are no good cowboys and bad cowboys and you have to understand that you can't always understand peoples motivation.

@gietvangent
  • To follow that up, because Paul Kimmage did a good interview with Floyd Landis we should just agree with everything he ever does after that?

What questions remain unasked around Sky?

@gietvangent