Chicken sings

Comments

• ThomThom wrote:
    Do we really still use dope tests as an argument for like.. anything?

What am I trying to argue? I'm just asking a question. :roll:

And the answer is no.
  • ThomThom wrote:

And the answer is no.

Ehh? What I'm not asking a question? Gez, it's hard work here...
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • We should start a BR Pro Race fighting fund. I'm not exactly sure what for but it should include elements of cheese, geology and horses.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ThomThom wrote:

And the answer is no.

Ehh? What I'm not asking a question? Gez, it's hard work here...

I'm not fighting you, Greased! I'm adding my twopennoth of 'no' as in there's been no failed tests at Garmin (that we know of)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    We should start a BR Pro Race fighting fund. I'm not exactly sure what for but it should include elements of cheese, geology and horses.

Geology kills horse, horse eats cheese, cheese covers geology
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'm not fighting you, Greased! I'm adding my twopennoth of 'no' as in there's been no failed tests at Garmin (that we know of)

Oh, right-o. Cheers!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/francoi ... confession

“It makes me sick,” Parisien said about his Olympic dream being taken away from him. “I feel a lot of frustration and disgust. These frauds defined a large part of my career since I was young.”
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    Every time I see this thread come back up it makes me think of Spitting Image!
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Garmin s PR team should be working for the UCI. They have an ex doper as a manager, half the team are confessed dopers. They only owned up when they had no choice and most of these riders are still riding and most fans still like them and even admire the teams ethos. Genius :lol::lol::lol:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    You are such a boring poster, rayjay. Just thought I'd let you know. Predictable as f'uck.

I'll give you, crankfella and dennis a beer when you manage to post something that could clarify whether you actually know anything about this sport.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    rayjay wrote:
    Garmin s PR team should be working for the UCI. They have an ex doper as a manager, half the team are confessed dopers. They only owned up when they had no choice and most of these riders are still riding and most fans still like them and even admire the teams ethos. Genius :lol::lol::lol:

You disagree with the team ethos then?

What's your alternative?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rayjay
    ThomThom wrote:
    You are such a boring poster, rayjay. Just thought I'd let you know. Predictable as f'uck.

Thanks for letting me know :lol::lol::lol:

I'll give you, crankfella and dennis a beer when you manage to post something that could clarify whether you actually know anything about this sport.
    Ryder uses a -17 slammed stem [ same as me] ....I don't drink beer so I will have a JD and diet coke ,,,cheers :lol::lol::lol:
  • rayjay
    rayjay wrote:

What's your alternative?

teams with such an ethos look stupid every time one of their riders gets busted for doping IMO

No alternative. Riders dope.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

What's your alternative?

teams with such an ethos look stupid every time one of their riders gets busted for doping IMO

No alternative. Riders dope.

How many Garmin riders have tested positive (after joining Garmin)?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    rayjay wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Thanks for letting me know :lol::lol::lol:

Ryder uses a -17 slammed stem [ same as me] ....I don't drink beer so I will have a JD and diet coke ,,,cheers :lol::lol::lol:

Diet coke on the way.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

What's your alternative?

I'd rather a team had an ethos and are occasionally made to look stupid and attract some flack than not have one and sign two over the hill convicted dopers with barely a murmur from the internet critics. Apparently if you don't have an ethos and don't speak english, the self-appointed moral guardians don't give a toss what you do.

I have plenty of issues with Vaughters, but I'm not going to knock him for having some sort of policy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    So Vaughters has spoken - http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/11/ ... ing_306775

Initial tweet reaction overwhelimingly negative...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    “Secondly, if you want to have a real [truth and reconciliation] process, which, basically our team has singlehandedly got the ball rolling on — if you’re going to say, ‘come in and tell us the truth,’ and, ‘wham, oh you just lost your job because you told us the truth,’ then who’s going to tell the truth? Nobody.”

A) Truth and Reconciliation does NOT mean coming clean when you ve got no other choice Jonathon

B) Perhaps this is why a few of us have been pointing out that a T&R is never going to acheive jack sugar...
    - @ddraver
  • You have to admire Vaughter's strength of character and morals. Refreshing to see someone not looking out for themselves and only themselves. Their whole policy makes sense and it is true that they are the sole team in that regard. Much better than Squeaky Sky firing anyone, experience and talent thrown out, because they were tainted by doping long ago.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    trying to work out if Frenchie really believes that or if its just a way to get another yawnsome Sky dig in...
    - @ddraver
  • It is true though right, thats what they did. I dont think if you took some drugs in the past when so many people were that you are evil and should have nothing to do with the sport. Ideally you would want all clean folk but that is just that, idealistic. Doping post a certain time, lets say 2006 or so, is harder to countenance.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    If your responding to me, You have a point. What sticks in my throat about it is that it's hard to view this as anything else other than the riders coming clean when they have no other choice.

There's a taste of shouting that "Everyone should speak up about their doping...oh no erm, after you everyone"

To be honest I find it difficult that Ryder was silenced by CESC (although maybe by USADA), I think it's far more likely that they decided to keep schtum about it...
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ddraver wrote:
    If your responding to me, You have a point. What sticks in my throat about it is that it's hard to view this as anything else other than the riders coming clean when they have no other choice.

There's a taste of shouting that "Everyone should speak up about their doping...oh no erm, after you everyone"

To be honest I find it difficult that Ryder was silenced by CESC (although maybe by USADA), I think it's far more likely that they decided to keep schtum about it...

If USADA have an investigation into someone who was involved in - oh I don't know, Phonak, and is still involved in cycling, and Ryder perhaps have information, do you not think they'd keep it under their hats? After all, it wasn't public knowledge that Levi had testified in the Lance thing.

Why would anyone come clean unless under duress? Look at the reactions it gets.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    If USADA have an investigation into someone who was involved in - oh I don't know, Phonak....
    Would USADA investigate Phonak - it's not really their jurisdiction. Unless Tygart has been watching Team America: World Police and not realised it's comedy.

Surely more likely is getting more evidence against Bruyneel which falls within the statues of limitations.

(I ask as I know you know people)
  • It would be nice to think people would come clean voluntarily but I can hardly think of anyone who has. It is their livelihoods on the line and if they know themselves to be riding clean for years and years then I can easily see how they do not find it immoral not to shout about their doping and consider themselves to be deserving of their salary. I bet there are people in the workforce who lie through their teeth all the time in order to hold on to their jobs. At the end of the day it is a job for them, something many of them have devoted their whole life to and who would have little to fall back on if they were cast out.

I do fell sorry for the riders who chose not to dope but do think also that if they were of the highest talent, they have prevailed. It is those on the average/good scale who have lost out most.

For the record I do not like Ryder.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,451
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    If USADA have an investigation into someone who was involved in - oh I don't know, Phonak....
    Would USADA investigate Phonak - it's not really their jurisdiction. Unless Tygart has been watching Team America: World Police and not realised it's comedy.

Surely more likely is getting more evidence against Bruyneel which falls within the statues of limitations.

(I ask as I know you know people)

Bruyneel was screwed the moment Armstrong chose to go on Oprah.

I think the Phonak angle would be that there is an American manager, still actively involved in the sport, who was a paid consultant for them.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    Bruyneel was screwed the moment Armstrong chose to go on Oprah.

I think the Phonak angle would be that there is an American manager, still actively involved in the sport, who was a paid consultant for them.
    A lot of the stuff against Bruyneel though is outside the statute of limitations - there's certainly room for lawyers to work with. Not enough to get him off scott free, but enough to avoid a life ban maybe.

And as for Phonak - they can investigate Ochowicz, but I think they would be on dodgy ground going after any non-US citizen. Unlike BMC at times, it wasn't a US registered team. I mean, UKAD couldn't sanction Real Madrid just because Gareth Bale plays for them.
  • ddraver
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

If USADA have an investigation into someone who was involved in - oh I don't know, Phonak, and is still involved in cycling, and Ryder perhaps have information, do you not think they'd keep it under their hats? After all, it wasn't public knowledge that Levi had testified in the Lance thing.

Why would anyone come clean unless under duress? Look at the reactions it gets.

I agree with your last point, but if so, Why does JV bleat about how his team are so open with their past discretions? The bit about "they have to be open to the authorities, no one else" is some fine print that is notably lacking from much of the Team Garmin rhetoric.

If USADA are now dictating to Northern American sport who can say what about their past then I'd suggest that they re slightly overstepping their mark...They ve had plenty of time pre or post Armstrong to be clean about Ryder's past. They chose not too...
    - @ddraver