What completely baffles you?

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Miranda Hart - what the fook is it?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Why do fat girls wear leggings?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    The moon spins at the same rate that it orbits the earth, so we always see the same side of the moon. Just cannot work this one out. My son is a physics boffin and no matter how he explains this phenomena, I just cannot figure it out. There could be Nazis on the dark side, waiting to invade.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Lesbians - I got a tongue in my head, What can a girl do that I can't???
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,155
    Why do fat girls wear leggings?

To keep Cleat happy.
  • Pross wrote:

To keep Cleat happy.

If only you could see my search history - you'd realise just how true that is. :| :oops: :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Why so many people think a teabag and a (paper) cup full of lukewarm water (often with milk in it) is a valid response to a request for a cup of tea. :evil:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The moon spins at the same rate that it orbits the earth, so we always see the same side of the moon. Just cannot work this one out. My son is a physics boffin and no matter how he explains this phenomena, I just cannot figure it out. There could be Nazis on the dark side, waiting to invade.
    Gravity makes the moon and earth bulge slightly and this creates torque which has slowed the moons rotation to match the earth and now one side faces us all the time. Eventually the much more massive earth will slow too and only one side of the earth will see the moon again.

This same process is what makes the moon move further away from us slowly. As the earth's orbit slows conservation of angular momentum moves the moon into a slightly higher orbit.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Duplicate.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Daz555 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Gravity makes the moon and earth bulge slightly and this creates torque which has slowed the moons rotation to match the earth and now one side faces us all the time. Eventually the much more massive earth will slow too and only one side of the earth will see the moon again.

This same process is what makes the moon move further away from us slowly. As the earth's orbit slows conservation of angular momentum moves the moon into a slightly higher orbit.

EXACTLY MY POINT. HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO UNDERSTAND THAT?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Why I can't see my eyes move when looking at a mirror.

Why cats refuse to look at themselves in a mirror, even when you hold them in front of one.

Why anybody thinks those stupid little curved stick on mirrors are a useful and stylish accessory for car wing mirror.

Why I have suddenly become obsessed with mirrors.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Is there an academy of crap advertising ? Do some of these people have to be so deluded to think they actually made a good advert ? Why are they doubtless paid so much to be so crap ? Why don't the companies whose wares are being advertised get some balls and tell the agencies....NOOOOOO :evil: your adverts crap, we don't want anything to do with it.
    It sure as hell baffles me how they get away with it, laughing all the way to the bank an'all.
  • Peddle Up!
    Ginjafro wrote:

Why cats refuse to look at themselves in a mirror, even when you hold them in front of one.

Why anybody thinks those stupid little curved stick on mirrors are a useful and stylish accessory for car wing mirror.

Pause for reflection? :)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Ginjafro wrote:

:roll: Deary me! You need to take a really good look at yourself.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Ginjafro wrote:

Should the cat have paws for reflection?

I'll get me coat.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Why aren't all of the planets and the sun in free-fall in space? I suppose some sort of gravitational pull
    is acting like a Star Trek Tractor Beam; no?
  • Peddle Up!
    De Sisti wrote:
    Why aren't all of the planets and the sun in free-fall in space? I suppose some sort of gravitational pull

They are in free fall. In warped spacetime.
  • de_sisti
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Please explain, I don't understand.
  • Peddle Up!
    De Sisti wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Have a look here and here
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Have a look here and here

From the first link:

"Straight lines in the curved spacetime we can find using a little toy-car equipped with a pen", and tomorrow Bungle the Bear discusses the subject of the material principles of mixed bodies with his old pal Fozzie :cry:
  • Why 'baffle' is pronounced 'baffle'

but

'waffle' is prounounced 'woffle'
  • and why Sean Bean isnt pronounced Shorn Born, or Seen Been. :( :oops: :idea:
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327

Why do fat people wear trainers? It's ironic we can tell the only running they do is running a bath and jogging their memory.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • de_sisti
    Trainers are quite comfortable. You don't have to be partaking in any physical activity to benefit from them.
  • Daz555
    De Sisti wrote:
    Sorry, what do you mean by "free-fall in space"?
  • de_sisti
    Daz555 wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:

As far as I'm aware, all the planets rotate around the sun, in space. I mean, what is holding up the planets?
    Why don't they fall and keep falling? Look, don't give it too much thought. It's just one of those things that
    crossed my mind when I was having a couple of pints.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Why the silly sod following me on friday at 4:30pm had headlights on (as had we all) because she considered it to be dark and therefore poor visibility, and yet at the same time was wearing sunglasses that she could almost use for welding.

The older I get, the better I was.

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    De Sisti wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:

As far as I'm aware, all the planets rotate around the sun, in space. I mean, what is holding up the planets?
    Why don't they fall and keep falling? Look, don't give it too much thought. It's just one of those things that

They are falling - but they keep missing.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Daz555
    De Sisti wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:

Are you saying that you think the entire solar system should be "falling" somewhere? Well just as the planets orbit the Sun, so our Solar system orbits other solar systems on our arm of the Milky Way and our arm orbits the Milky Way. The entire universe is a complex arrangement of celestial bodies orbiting around each other due to gravity. There is no up or down or down in space.

If you are wondering why the planets don't fall into the sun then this is because they are in motion:

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/dr-ma ... rbits.html
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    They are falling - but they keep missing.
    Perfect!