What completely baffles you?

Comments

• The popularity of Superdry, are the clothes magic.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    That some people can dismiss science as being somehow irrelevant or unimportant.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Daz555 wrote:
    That some people can dismiss science as being somehow irrelevant or unimportant.

...'cos science is the new religion :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The popularity of Superdry, are the clothes magic.

I have a Superdry laptop bag. I bought it only because it's the best one I found. Packed full of features, lots of internal compartments and it looks different. So, yes it is magic. I would have bought it with Tesco branding, if they sold it.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    centimani wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    Why the 'universe' exists...... - I really do find that question quite unsettling when it hits me in full clarity.
    On that subject, the fact that space is endless, infinate, the human mind just isnt capable of imagining it.
    As a kid when i first started thinking about it, i rationalised it by imagining all of space in a box...but then i immediately thought...whats on the other side (or the outside) of the box ???
    That fooked that one straight away.

On this, my Physics teacher taught me to think of the Universe as a doughnut. With a hole in. Look in any direction and you see back around to you again, but millions of years delayed. Still, your point remains.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    nigel farage
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Why, oh why do people buy cookery books written by celebrity chefs? What a con. One page for a recipe, the other page for a full-sized photo of the dish. Meanwhile, other non-celebrity chefs are somehow managing to write longer books with 4 or 5 recipes per page which are just as good, if not better. And they only cost half what you'd pay for Jamie, Nigella et al.
  • Daz555
    Mettan wrote:
    Why the 'universe' exists...... - I really do find that question quite unsettling when it hits me in full clarity.
    There doesn't necessarily have to be a reason for it to exist. It might be that it just does.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Daz555 wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    There doesn't necessarily have to be a reason for it to exist. It might be that it just does.

"Why is there something rather than nothing?" is one of the great questions of philosophy. Of course, it could all be down to our limited level of understanding.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Daz555
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    Mettan wrote:

"Why is there something rather than nothing?" is one of the great questions of philosophy. Of course, it could all be down to our limited level of understanding.
    Is indeed a great philosophical question. Whether the answer matters or not is up for debate however - primarily because there may not actually be an answer. The other problem is that if we answer "why" for the first question then it inevitably leads to another "why".....very much like a conversation with a 3yr old child.

"Why is there something rather than nothing?"
    "A god created it"
    "Why did a god create it?"

"It is an emergent property/fluctuation of quantum fields"
    "Why are there quantum fields?"

Richard Dawkins made an excellent speech as to why "why" might not be a very good question. Probably on youtube somewhere.
  • Peddle Up!
    Daz555 wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    Mettan wrote:

Is indeed a great philosophical question. Whether the answer matters or not is up for debate however - primarily because there may not actually be an answer. The other problem is that if we answer "why" for the first question then it inevitably leads to another "why".....very much like a conversation with a 3yr old child.

"A god created it"
    "Why did a god create it?"

"It is an emergent property/fluctuation of quantum fields"
    "Why are there quantum fields?"

Richard Dawkins made an excellent speech as to why "why" might not be a very good question. Probably on youtube somewhere.

Actually I think it's an excellent question. :)
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The big bang theory. What created the big bang? What created the big bang which created the big bang? What created the big bang which created the big bang which created the big bang?

How can space go on forever? how can space not go on forever?

Is there a patern to prime numbers, what are their relevance to life?
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    String theory.

Just can't get my head around it. Yet. Bought a book on it so hopefully will understand it soon.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    People's inability to read road conditions.

Most of my commute is pretty rural. What surface treatments they put down were washed away with the snow-melt. I was driving along at 40ish and performed a few brake-checks. Each time the ABS was straight into action. Tis a bit icy, no wonder considering it was -1.

Not 2 minutes later, on the same road, i had someone tailgating me and someone tailgating them in turn.

Failing species.
  • Peddle Up!
    Redjeep! wrote:
    String theory.

Just can't get my head around it. Yet. Bought a book on it so hopefully will understand it soon.

string_theory.png
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Redjeep! wrote:
    String theory.

string_theory.png

Hahaha!

• Peddle Up!
    Nippon ant killer. Why Nippon? Is it racist? What do they call Nippon in Japan???? :?
  • team47b
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Nippon ant killer. Why Nippon? Is it racist? What do they call Nippon in Japan???? :?

Nippon is the name of the country called Japan in English, why an english bloke after end of the second world war thought that Japan was a good name for a product that totally destroys living creatures is beyond me, perhaps the brand name 'USA ant killer' was already taken :D
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Travel news on the radio … both Radio 2 and Radio 5 devote a lot of air time to telling the nation about traffic jams which are only relevant to perhaps a couple of hundred people who are actually heading in that direction. Most of their listeners aren’t even in cars.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    team47b wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Nope, still don't get 'hair of the dog'

Placing 'The hair of the dog that bites you' on the wound was supposed to 'cure' you, so as an analogy anything that causes you to experience pain is cured by using more of the same.

Look - if you start ripping the hair out of my dog (or wife) then of course it will fing bite you!
  • team47b
    The saying...hair of the wife that bit you :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Travel news on the radio … both Radio 2 and Radio 5 devote a lot of air time to telling the nation about traffic jams which are only relevant to perhaps a couple of hundred people who are actually heading in that direction. Most of their listeners aren’t even in cars.

Yes, but if they are telling you the M25 is stuffed up (a daily event) and you're heading north on the A1, it gives you a nice warm glow of smugness. Public service broadcasting at it's finest.
  • Well I marvel at the things they find beneath the ground, and that man can go faster than the speed of sound, but I just can't get my head around, Bob Wilson, Anchorman...
  • All that shite that's going on in Belfast.

Flags, violence, riots etc etc.....

Baffles the fcuk out of me
  • ben@31
    edited January 2013
    All that shite that's going on in Belfast.

Flags, violence, riots etc etc.....

Baffles the fcuk out of me

I bet most of the hooligans involved don't know why. I heard some Belfast Police spokesman use the phase "Recreational Rioter" on the radio the other day.
  • All the Lance haters. Get over it, he is done. Forget him. This is to most of the Pro cycling board. :D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Panic buyers - yes we have a bit of bad weather forecast and you may not be able to get to the shops (although in reality the vast majority could easily walk to one) for a day. However, you only need ONE bottle of milk and ONE loaf of bread surely? Even if the worst comes to the worst and you run out it is unlikely you will die without a day of milk and bread - you may even benefit from it!
  • keef66 wrote:
    ju5t1n wrote:

Yes, but if they are telling you the M25 is stuffed up (a daily event) and you're heading north on the A1, it gives you a nice warm glow of smugness. Public service broadcasting at it's finest.
    True. I stayed in Ireland a couple of years ago and where we stayed (County Cork) the guy where we were staying listened to British traffic reports all the time. Used to be a truck driver, apparently, and found it "soothing".
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ben@31
    Pross wrote:
    Panic buyers - yes we have a bit of bad weather forecast and you may not be able to get to the shops (although in reality the vast majority could easily walk to one) for a day. However, you only need ONE bottle of milk and ONE loaf of bread surely? Even if the worst comes to the worst and you run out it is unlikely you will die without a day of milk and bread - you may even benefit from it!

What baffles me is why people (fat people who do no physically strenuous activities in particular) insist on eating 3 big meals per day. Why when you've enough fat reserves for 30 days? Eating 3 meals a day is only a recent thing probably from victorian times. Wild animals don't insist on 3 meals a day and cavemen probably did not.