What completely baffles you?

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I once saw some article that asked "Why do people think we must eat 3 times a day"? Especially if they have enough fat reserves to last until the next month and they're not that active.

It only became an obsession in the last one or two hundred years. And no other animal doe this.

Why not eat your calories for the day in just one or two sittings? As for the blood sugar level dropping and needing a big breakfast... Were cavemen effected by this?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ben@31 wrote:
    As for the blood sugar level dropping and needing a big breakfast... Were cavemen effected by this?

The body releases glycogen to compensate for low blood sugar to enable you to have enough energy to hunt or gather your breakfast, this special release is called the dawn phenomena so cavemen like us had enough energy to go and get breakfast, although they didn't do their gathering at 30mph clad in lycra and we don't wrestle bears to get our bowl of porridge :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Nope, still don't get 'hair of the dog'

Placing 'The hair of the dog that bites you' on the wound was supposed to 'cure' you, so as an analogy anything that causes you to experience pain is cured by using more of the same.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    team47b wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:

Placing 'The hair of the dog that bites you' on the wound was supposed to 'cure' you, so as an analogy anything that causes you to experience pain is cured by using more of the same.

Thanks. I understand now. Here's another one I just heard...

"Bang to rights". I know what it means but can someone please explain it. Utter nonsense.
  • RoyPSB wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:

Thanks. I understand now. Here's another one I just heard...

"Bang to rights". I know what it means but can someone please explain it. Utter nonsense.

Like a lot of expressions, it seems to be a combination of two things; the now out of use 'bang on', and rightfully or righteous (as in correct). Rummaging around on the internet, seems to have begun with bomber crews - being used to express being on target. Bang, in that instance, having two meanings

Off topic, but most of the older British expressions originate from the Royal Navy.
  • The cost of some razor blade cartridges now, the supposedly top end Gillette ones now usually £15 or more for 8...who on earth pays that and thinks it's reasonable?! No wonder Warren Buffett swears by their shares as a sound investment.
  • The cost of some razor blade cartridges now, the supposedly top end Gillette ones now usually £15 or more for 8...who on earth pays that and thinks it's reasonable?! No wonder Warren Buffett swears by their shares as a sound investment.

Thought much the same thing a few years back and then I remembered the old single-bladed “safety” razors I started out with way back. Much cheaper.

Sought one out and after a bit of practice found it as good, if not better than those expensive cartridges. And as a bonus I’m not adding to the tonnage of waste plastic polluting the oceans. (Miniscule I know but it makes me feel better).

Shaving is much slower but it’s also more contemplative. No dobbing on of some stuff out of a can (more pollution?) for me. It’s hot water, a proper shaving brush and soap. Massage into a lovely warm foam and put your day to rights as you slice off bits of face. Just kidding. You will do for a while but once you get used to it you’ll have a lovely smooth shave. And don’t use aftershave. Use a balm - even some cheap stuff, it’s much better.
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Giraffoto wrote:
    People who ask "what are you driving?" shortly after being introduced. Why do they care?

I really hate people who ask this and also "what do you do for a job".

It is like they are judging whether you are worth talking to or not.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    edited December 2012
    team47b wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    As for the blood sugar level dropping and needing a big breakfast... Were cavemen effected by this?

The body releases glycogen to compensate for low blood sugar to enable you to have enough energy to hunt or gather your breakfast, this special release is called the dawn phenomena so cavemen like us had enough energy to go and get breakfast, although they didn't do their gathering at 30mph clad in lycra and we don't wrestle bears to get our bowl of porridge :D

Why would you wrestle a bear to get porridge? Surely you would go to the farm to get the oats and then grind them.

BTW Team47B - did you see this on the professional diabetic cycling team?

m.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/riding-strong-diabetes?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Slideshow-_-novo-nordisk
  • team47b
    you would only have to wrestle the baby bear, as the other bear's porridge is either too hot or too cold :D

You're a designer, what car do you drive?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The cost of some razor blade cartridges now, the supposedly top end Gillette ones now usually £15 or more for 8...who on earth pays that and thinks it's reasonable?! No wonder Warren Buffett swears by their shares as a sound investment.
    We did this a while ago over the other side. Cut Throat Shaving

Quite a few converts, some to cut-throats but a lot have discovered the joy & pleasure of DE safety razor.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    johnfinch wrote:
    How people can walk into a school and start shooting. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Jacked up on anti-depressants the same as every other kid that shot up his school.

From the Prozac leaflet: "May induce psychotic episodes"

No s**t Sherlock.
  • The popularity of some TV shows, especially "Deal or No Deal" - a hour of someone randomly opening boxes? Where is the skill in that? Why would anyone want to make a TV show about that?

Also, my mother-in-law.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The popularity of some TV shows, especially "Deal or No Deal" - a hour of someone randomly opening boxes? Where is the skill in that? Why would anyone want to make a TV show about that?

The Channel 4 website has about 40 episodes of the Opening the Box game. Who the feck is going to sit down and watch 40 episodes of other people opening boxes? Insane.
  • finchy
    Manc33 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Jacked up on anti-depressants the same as every other kid that shot up his school.

No s**t Sherlock.

From what I've heard from American colleagues, mind-altering drugs have more or less become the norm in the USA. I suppose it helps people to avoid reality.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    TheBigBee
    Captainlip
    Raffles
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Why people spend £1k plus on a new road bike to benefit from the more aero position and then ride with a flipped stem and stack of spacers to get back into the position they were previously used to on their MTB or hybrid. Also, people like I saw yesterday in a nice low position but riding with their elbows and knees sticking out all over the place.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    johnfinch wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

No s**t Sherlock.

From what I've heard from American colleagues, mind-altering drugs have more or less become the norm in the USA. I suppose it helps people to avoid reality.

I wouldn't lay any of the happenings at the feet of mind-altering drugs, certainly not SSRIs anyway.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    The one thing that baffles me above EVERYTHING else, is how the fook has mankind progressed so far, achieved so much....when if you think about it, 99% of the human race ...are as thick as fook.
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Pavement warriors.

Ninjas.

Pavement ninjas.

Salmon.

Ninja salmon.

Ninja pavement salmon.

Seriously, it can't be that hard. Public road, same side as the rest of the traffic, red and white lighty-up-things in the dark like the rest of the traffic.

Oh, and liberals.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    This...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-20538567

It's obviously been on our local news a lot.

It's sad when anyone gets killed in an accident and please believe me that I'm not making light of it. But what baffles me is how someone has lived to 13 and not see a single tram exactly where it's supposed to be, when presumably she'd been crossing roads for most of her life which can involve split second timing with multiple vehicles.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross wrote:
    Why people spend £1k plus on a new road bike to benefit from the more aero position and then ride with a flipped stem and stack of spacers to get back into the position they were previously used to on their MTB or hybrid. Also, people like I saw yesterday in a nice low position but riding with their elbows and knees sticking out all over the place.

Also, people you see who obviously do serious touring but they ride in trainers with flat pedals - seriously, why would you do that?
  • This 'Tipping Point' quiz show thing on telly, it's truly awful...if you've seen it I'm sure you'll agree. How did it ever get commissioned?!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    People still believe the Government. :?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • 2 things:

1. People who are intolerant of other races or cultures
    2. The f*cking Dutch
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    How did Brian Cox's teeth and Brain May's hair spend the evening in a tv studio tonight without going into orbit around each other.

Moreover, thinking about it, how did they build a studio big enough to fit Brian May's hair, Cox's teeth and Cox's ego in one place?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Out of all the creatures on this planet, why did we decide to drink cows milk
  • finchy
    Out of all the creatures on this planet, why did we decide to drink cows milk

Because dogs have tiny t1ts.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Admin charges. You ask to change a name or address, and someone whose job it is to type stuff in types it in and this somehow costs £26. I won't be renewing car insurance with eSure, but in the meantime I'm just baffled that such opportunist random-sum-of-money grabbing is still legal
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Reality based entertainment shows.
    Hollister and Jack Wills.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.