Fixeds with discs

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Thanks for suggestions. 8kg is pretty low on priority list.
    It looks like situation has not changed much since August and what few people are in market for this are scrounging parts together to get what they want.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Won't beat your 8kg on weight I don't think, I've an original Drop Bar Roadrat running fixed disc.

Deore Front hub
    Surly fixed free rear hub
    TRP Spyre discs
    Aerotrack rims
    SKS full mudguards

I think my roadrat weighs twice that! Fun bike though - flat bar with everything for commute including kitchen sink
  • Whole point of my post was to pass on this link:

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/original_escapade

I must have missed it. Fully agree, a fair bit above 8kg!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mamil314
    How are these two Tempos, still going strong? How is life without a rear brake?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    mamil314 wrote:
    How are these two Tempos, still going strong? How is life without a rear brake?
    Mine's been going fine for the last 6 years in one form or another. Always fixed, a few years with a rim brake, about a year and a half with the Kinesis fork and BB7 brake, and the same with the Condor fork and Juin Tech R1 brake.
    No problems that I could blame on the bike. Had a couple of offs - one where someone left hooked me and put a kink in the front wheel.

VVX72BJ.jpg

And another where a lorry drove into the back of me while we were both waiting at a set of red lights. That did for the rear wheel :roll:

Life without a rear brake's fine. You ride a little differently fixed (none of that 'at one with the bike' stuff, just trying to anticipate things a bit earlier so that you don't have to do too much braking and accelerating) but on a flat ride it doesn't change much. Would recommend, 5/7.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rear brake on a bike is a bit like a life jacket in a plane - if you need it, you're in worse trouble than you realise :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Rear brake on a bike is a bit like a life jacket in a plane - if you need it, you're in worse trouble than you realise :wink:
    Or signalling for a turn. I noticed how fun that can be when mine was bad.
  • meanredspider
    Rear brake on a bike is a bit like a life jacket in a plane - if you need it, you're in worse trouble than you realise :wink:
    Or signalling for a turn. I noticed how fun that can be when mine was bad.

That's a fair point. I hardly ride in traffic so I rarely need to signal.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mamil314
    Thanks, appreciate the reply. That's some front wheel kink!

It looks like Day One is still pretty much only option with mudguard holes and disc mounts but it's such a hefty beast.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well my mech disc brakes might be good but the lack of tread on my tyres sure wasnt, front wheel washed out throwing me on my side right down on my ribs

Which I'm pretty sure are now broken
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    Well my mech disc brakes might be good but the lack of tread on my tyres sure wasnt, front wheel washed out throwing me on my side right down on my ribs

Ouch GWS
  • itboffin
    ta, breathing is very difficult and i'm dreading sneezing
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:

I suppose, not that it's much of a consolation, that you might have done yourself more serious damage. Have you sought a medical opinion?
  • itboffin wrote:

Last time I did my ribs like that, I had an economy class flight to San Francisco two days later. Aces!

Get well soon!
  • itboffin wrote:

I suppose, not that it's much of a consolation, that you might have done yourself more serious damage. Have you sought a medical opinion?

Hah! Pneumothorax schpneumothorax!

Can anyone actually scan that first time?
  • meanredspider

Last time I did my ribs like that, I had an economy class flight to San Francisco two days later. Aces!

Get well soon!

Didn't you smile sweetly, through your tears of pain, at the crew to see if they could accommodate you up front (that's not a euphemism BTW :wink:)
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Dont need to i can feel and see the breaks :shock:

• Last time I did my ribs like that, I had an economy class flight to San Francisco two days later. Aces!

Get well soon!

Didn't you smile sweetly, through your tears of pain, at the crew to see if they could accommodate you up front (that's not a euphemism BTW :wink:)

I was flying United, I was just pleased they didn't break any more.
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Never broken a bone let alone a rib. Is that one that they can't do anything with anyway?
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited June 2017
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Never broken a bone let alone a rib. Is that one that they can't do anything with anyway?

Yeah, you pretty much just have to wait for it to stop hurting. Then you sneeze or cough and they re-break.
  • itboffin
    Yep not a sausage just loads of pain killers, sleeping is nearly impossible

I'm wondering if i could still ride?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,031
    itboffin wrote:
    Yep not a sausage just loads of pain killers, sleeping is nearly impossible

I'm wondering if i could still ride?

Ouch, GWS!

viewtopic.php?t=12868749

Seems though you could ride, but whether you should, I've no idea or experience on this.

I'd guess that am upright flatbar would be far less painful on your rib cage, taken at a very gentle pace, a little like my spontaneous super extension to my commute home to set a new Strava distance PB of 39.4 miles over ~2hrs45mins (an average heart rate of 138bpm is unheard for me, but it was nice being able to take in my surroundings more).

I don't know if I've got a box to hand that would fit them, but if you wanted to borrow my old Modolo Dumbo adjustable butterfly/touring bars and 25.4mm stem to try and find a comfortable position to ride in, let me know. They were a godsend to me for a while after my 2008 lower back injury, enabling me to ride my old Saracen Pylon8 without severe pain including sciatica.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Yeah, you pretty much just have to wait for it to stop hurting. Then you sneeze or cough and they re-break.
    This. Take strong painkillers and make sure you breathe deeply to avoid fluid build up in your lungs. I broke 3 ribs quite badly, sneezed about a week later and damaged something internally. Couldn't lie down so tried to sleep sitting on the couch. Got up at 2am to take more drugs and keeled over. Mrs got me to A&E and within minutes I was in resuss with 3 drips hooked up. X-ray showed one lung more than half full of claret. Spent the next week in hospital with a chest drain fitted. Not an experience I wish to repeat.
    So lots of drugs and breathe deep. If you suffer with hay fever take everything.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    Has anyone got a suggestion for a light SS with hydraulic disks?

I've looked at a few and they seem to come in at around 10kg which seems rather chunky.

(This is to use as a commuter which can be locked up on London streets - no rear durailler or overly expensive parts to nick or wear out. But I need decent brakes for towing a trailler.)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    inbike wrote:
    Has anyone got a suggestion for a light SS with hydraulic disks?

I've looked at a few and they seem to come in at around 10kg which seems rather chunky.

(This is to use as a commuter which can be locked up on London streets - no rear durailler or overly expensive parts to nick or wear out. But I need decent brakes for towing a trailler.)
    Following.

I'd be interested in this also, but won't be towing a trailer!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • inbike
    Probably too much to hope for a carbon frame with an eccentric bottom bracket, compatible with TRP Hylex brakes?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    inbike wrote:
    Probably too much to hope for a carbon frame with an eccentric bottom bracket, compatible with TRP Hylex brakes?
    I've been looking too, I can't seem to find anything more than 2 out of 3 from that list.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • If going SS why the need for the Eccentric BB, just use a chain tensioner. Then tons of frames should be in the mix. Else it's niche Cotic/Surly/Pompino type stuff or there were some frames coming through with interchangeable rear drop outs. Also Charge were doing something but I doubt they were light!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-plug-gri ... road-bike/

Not carbon, but these were a bargain when £510 around last October, when I had no idea they were Hylex proper hydraulic brakes.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • inbike
    Those are a bit purple.

I might import a Raleigh RXS 2.0 - the were some going the other day for £600 - alloy frame, carbon fork, hydro brakes etc.

But still 9kg which seems rather chunky. Might be because of the wheels and 33c tyres I suppose.

How well do chain tensioners work? Ok with being bashed around going up and down kerbs etc?