Fixeds with discs

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Good choice of rims and hubs. I love my Hope hubs...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    This is taking longer to build than the Scottish parliament..

nice hub/rim choice btw! :!:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:

nice hub/rim choice btw! :!:
    It's got no closer, I've not touched the fixed in 6 months :oops:
    Though I did decide to sort out the back wheel today so it'd eventually match the front a bit better. After someone drove over my American Classic front, the rear was a bit garish by itself.
    A bit of Nitromors and it's all a bit tidier.

From
    DnvIGEn.jpg

Post-crash front
    iegJcXp.jpg

And rear
    o276WYe.jpg

I'll leave the single red spoke I think.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • If the red spoke is opposite the valve, then you could claim it's heavier for use as a counterbalance. Very pro, that is.
  • iPete
    This has taken so long I've worn out a set of rims and had them re-built back on the same hubs, so no discs for me anytime soon!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    iPete wrote:
    You weren't wrong.
  • dhope
    Veronese68 wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    You weren't wrong.
    :lol:
    Apparently they're bringing out a Fratello with discs now, so I'll eventually get this thing done just after it's possible to buy off the shelf.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    dhope wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    You weren't wrong.
    :lol:
    Apparently they're bringing out a Fratello with discs now, so I'll eventually get this thing done just after it's possible to buy off the shelf.
    Yes, I saw you mention that on the FGSS thread and thought this might give you another nudge. :wink:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just bumping this as its taking over the bought thread....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ah, the interconnectedness of the forum. I buy a dynohub and a fixed with disc thread gets bumped.

Buy a Kaffenback 2.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ah, the interconnectedness of the forum. I buy a dynohub and a fixed with disc thread gets bumped.

Buy a Kaffenback 2.
    Don't need to, I ordered my disc equipped racing tractor last week.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    can you get a flip flop disc hub?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    It lives!

zdaOA6x.jpg

Needs a the front guard put back on but that was just a quick snap before commuting into work.
    The clearance on the front fork looks massive now that there's no caliper nearby.

LBS commented on how well built the front wheel was - cheers Ugo :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    What about the Paddy Wagon?
  • dhope
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What about the Paddy Wagon?

Calm down, it took me 18 months to put a new brake on the Condor. Rome wasn't built in a day :D

Got back the fork from the Condor that'll be going onto the Kona this morning, picking up a seatpost, chain and freehub today. Bar tape needed and to decide if it's bullhorns or drops (and then I'd have to drill the bullhorns for cable routing)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Just need to find a paint shop to whip those cable bosses off the top tube and retouch.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • dhope wrote:

Looks good!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    dhope wrote:

Looks good!
    Rear wheel needs to lose the brake track, the photo makes it look like you've got reflectors on the rear only :P
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Looks good!
    Rear wheel needs to lose the brake track, the photo makes it look like you've got reflectors on the rear only :P
    Was hoping I might be the only one that'd noticed that...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Why two levers?
    Symmetry, laziness or have you split the front disc cable?
  • iPete
    How is this? Cold wet days like today remind me how bad my stopping power is, with koolstop salmon pads and an old ultegra brake there is zero bite.

And yes, you really need a fresh rim on the back.
  • iPete wrote:
    How is this? Cold wet days like today remind me how bad my stopping power is, with koolstop salmon pads and an old ultegra brake there is zero bite.

The first time I rode in the wet back on rim brakes, I nearly snapped the saddle in two clenching my buttocks so hard on the first proper stop (Salmons too). I tell you, this disc brake thing is only going in one direction. Like I wish I'd kept the comments from people that said the iPad was a short-lived gimmick, I wish I also have those from people who said that that disc brakes have no place on a road bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    iPete wrote:

It's pretty good. Managed to slightly lift the rear wheel in the wet this morning when a car ahead braked for no reason. I don't remember the normal 105 calipers having enough bite at the front to do that.
    Rode in with Butterd2 yesterday who is on a CX fixed gear with a standard Road BB7 front brake (rather than the BB7 Road SL on mine) and a bit of the mutual appreciation society as we commented on being able to stop (I think only cyclists might understand that sort of conversation...)

I kind of want an Enve 2.0 Road Disc Fork now. Just because the Kinesis clearances are pretty massive... but I think that's an extravagance too far :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Answered a query from one chap about how I was running a fixed hub with discs just this morning. Riding the in damp conditions on the winter bike this weekend reminded me how good the discs on the roadrat are.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • iPete
    Hmmm my life choices aka buying tarty track geo fixed frames are going to make switching to discs tricky.

Time to plot out justifcation for a Condor tempo frameset. The other half won't know about the iPad I was planning on getting her for Christmas :twisted:
  • iPete wrote:
    Hmmm my life choices aka buying tarty track geo fixed frames are going to make switching to discs tricky.

Time to plot out justifcation for a Condor tempo frameset. The other half won't know about the iPad I was planning on getting her for Christmas :twisted:

Go for it... the Ipad is just another piece of junk that makes you check the WWW even more often. We had one and the day it had to return to the company was a bloody good day!
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

Go for it... the Ipad is just another piece of junk that makes you check the WWW even more often. We had one and the day it had to return to the company was a bloody good day!

Without going to off topic (ah nevermind, he did actually build the bike in the end), I find my iPad mini incredibly useful. I guess we have different needs.

It can be thrown into a backpack which is great as a cycle commuter, is great for games, listening to the radio, watching TV (we don't own a TV and don't intend on doing so). I have it with me around the house for music/TV/ youtube whilst working on the bikes, even used it when working on the car, watching Sufferfest on the turbo, cooking dinner and generally multi-tasking.

I just can't workout whether we would find a bigger/faster one as useful.

*and breathe*
  • iPete wrote:
    It can be thrown into a backpack which is great as a cycle commuter, is great for games, listening to the radio, watching TV (we don't own a TV and don't intend on doing so). I have it with me around the house for music/TV/ youtube whilst working on the bikes, even used it when working on the car, watching Sufferfest on the turbo, cooking dinner and generally multi-tasking.

I just can't workout whether we would find a bigger/faster one as useful.

But that's because you got used to be entertained at all times... which is the very essence of the evil I am trying to fight off.
    Because of the stupid devices I no longer read books and whilst the internet is very useful, I rarely make good use of it... :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Because of the stupid devices I no longer read books and whilst the internet is very useful, I rarely make good use of it... :wink:

Replace "no longer read books" with "rarely read books" and you have my experience pretty much described.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Because of the stupid devices I no longer read books and whilst the internet is very useful, I rarely make good use of it... :wink:

That's because you spend too long answering wheel questions on Internet forums :wink: If you had an iPad, you could answer them quicker and you'd have more time for reading :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH