Fixeds with discs

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    48x17 (and 25s) for me - combination of being able to ride up to 25mph and still being able to pull away from lights at a decent lick. Mental note to avoid the 48/14 nutters on SCR....
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mroli wrote:
    Back on topic - this is for sale at lfgss....

http://www.lfgss.com/thread97024.html#post3252344

And of course, Planet X sell their disc brake front fork for £40: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FOP ... _2011_fork
    Are there any disc only forks? Having the canti mounts is ugly.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Back on topic - this is for sale at lfgss....

http://www.lfgss.com/thread97024.html#post3252344

And of course, Planet X sell their disc brake front fork for £40: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FOP ... _2011_fork
    Are there any disc only forks? Having the canti mounts is ugly.
    Yup, see my OP
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    First day in cold rain & there were a few moments where I cried for a disc brake*.

*for mummy
  • iPete wrote:
    First day in cold rain & there were a few moments where I cried for a disc brake*.

*for mummy

Hi Pete,

even disc brakes don't shine in the wet... the discs get wet and don't perform nearly as well as in the dry. There might be some wet specific pads that I am not aware of, but normal sintered are quite mediocre
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mine worked very well in the wet today, not as good as in the dry but much better than my old V-brakes and miles ahead of my 105 and DA set ups on my road bikes (even with salmon pads on them)
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

*for mummy

Hi Pete,

even disc brakes don't shine in the wet... the discs get wet and don't perform nearly as well as in the dry. There might be some wet specific pads that I am not aware of, but normal sintered are quite mediocre

Thanks, I suspect it is more my winter pads are at the end of their life, will switch tonight!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    They are a lot better in the wet then calipers or cantis, hardly any difference in my experience on welsh and scottish forest trails.
  • Paul E wrote:
    They are a lot better in the wet then calipers or cantis, hardly any difference in my experience on welsh and scottish forest trails.

What pads would you recommend for Avid BB7?
  • Paul E
    Not sure as I ran hydraulics, sinstered for really gritty trails (bit noisey) and normal avid pads for scottish stuff where it was less gritty
  • dhope
    Well now I've just found out that there are new Avid BB7 SLs. May see how those price up and then pull the trigger.

Anyone recommend a nice lightish (but for commuting, so not silly expensive) disc front wheel setup?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    dhope wrote:
    Well now I've just found out that there are new Avid BB7 SLs. May see how those price up and then pull the trigger.

Anyone recommend a nice lightish (but for commuting, so not silly expensive) disc front wheel setup?

Dpends if you want 700cc or 29er wheels?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    rubertoe wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Dpends if you want 700cc or 29er wheels?
    700c
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    dhope wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Depends if you want 700cc or 29er wheels?
    700c

Your looking at a build, you'll struggle to find an off the peg disc 700c wheel.

(saying that I will have a front 700c disc wheel going spare soon)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    er, 29er is the same as 700c for diameter, just probably slightly wider rim
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I went for, and so did a mate who did similar, went with a shimano deore front hub for £14 and an aerotrack rim for £24, build and spokes will be another £50. The aerotrack does give you a black anodised braking surface so making the wheel look a bit better than a bog standard road rim.

There are wheelset out there in 700c but not many, I found few 29er which could handle a 28mm tyre.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Paul E
    By the time I get round to a new bike/frame I think there will be more disc friendly components, I do miss the discs on my mtb, also getting fed up of cleaning the grey sludge off my wheels and brakes
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got Stans Crest 29er (Wiggle had them half price recently) rims on my CX, no issues with a 25mm GP4Season on it. Lighter than a Mavic OpenPro too IIRC.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dhope
    Well just had JensenUSA price match the Avid BB7 SLs...
    Just so that some part of my bike will be higher spec than Wrath Rob's new commuter :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    dhope wrote:
    Just so that some part of my bike will be higher spec than Wrath Rob's new commuter :D
    Boooooo!

Kinesis do disc specific CX wheels but that might not have the right width at the rear if you're running a track frame.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Boooooo!

Kinesis do disc specific CX wheels but that might not have the right width at the rear if you're running a track frame.

Yes, Kinesis does, but they are made of cheapish components... for very similar money I have built sets based on the excellent Novatec disc hubs and Mavic or Ambrosio rims.
    I have first tested mine on the demanding cobbles of Paris Roubaix (see Avatar) and Tour of Flanders and have since used them for over one year of commuting in London and they are absolutely brilliant. Bearings are like new.
    I have now two sets on order, one with H plus Son Archetype and the other with Velocity A 23 non machined rims. These are for CX bikes with discs... for the fixies of course a different rear hub is required, but if you go the custom route, all is possible... a front for disc and rear 120 mm spacing hub is perfectly doable
    Enquire within, as they say
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I just use rim brakes and a bit of leg braking too - works for me. I think a disc on the back might be tricky getting everything lined up right ? I know I adjust the tension on my wheel every so often - id have to fiddle with the caliper too - I think ?

Front disc would ok though - but I'd always go with two brakes.
  • cougie wrote:
    I know I adjust the tension on my wheel every so often - id have to fiddle with the caliper too - I think ?

No, the wheel has nothing to do with the disc, which is attached to the hub and does not move as a result of you re-dishing the wheel.. a bit like the sprockets don't move
    A fixed wheel bike with a rear disc does not make much sense as the wheel is already a brake... it's good to have one at the front though, provided you find a fork that takes it... there was a nice one in the clearance items section at Planet X... carbon one, not cheap, but very nice... I assume for 1 1/8 steerers though
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    cougie wrote:
    I know I adjust the tension on my wheel every so often - id have to fiddle with the caliper too - I think ?

No, the wheel has nothing to do with the disc, which is attached to the hub and does not move as a result of you re-dishing the wheel.. a bit like the sprockets don't move
    A fixed wheel bike with a rear disc does not make much sense as the wheel is already a brake... it's good to have one at the front though, provided you find a fork that takes it... there was a nice one in the clearance items section at Planet X... carbon one, not cheap, but very nice... I assume for 1 1/8 steerers though

I think he meant he has to shift his wheel back a little bit to tension the chain as it stretches.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Where do you guys get your frames from? I've Googled for fixie frames but everything that comes up are track frames, and they can't be too comfortable to commute on.

I'd rather not refurbish an old frame if I could help it.

Cheers.

Pete
  • iPete
    You can try Condor, not cheap mind, who do some more relaxed frames, be interested to know of others.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I have the dolan precursa and it's great for commuting on - a full on track frame - but as long as it fits you properly this is the most important thing, 25mm tyres help too
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I know you're only looking at discs for the front, but for anyone considering discs on the rear please note: if you plan or running mudguards then its worth getting a frame where the caliper mounts inside the rear triangle, i.e. between the chain and seat stays. Otherwise you'll be bending mudguard stays over the caliper. Even worse if you want to run a rack.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    I know you're only looking at discs for the front, but for anyone considering discs on the rear please note: if you plan or running mudguards then its worth getting a frame where the caliper mounts inside the rear triangle, i.e. between the chain and seat stays. Otherwise you'll be bending mudguard stays over the caliper. Even worse if you want to run a rack.

Yup - inside the triangle makes a lot of sense - that's where it sit on the Volagis
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH